As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    hahaha

the CS nerds in the next office over (and you know things are bad when a pack of roboticists are calling you nerds) are having a loud argument about why LaTeX distros for Windows chiefly suck balls
    and one of them says "Well nobody who uses a Mac uses LaTeX anyway -"
    and so from an entire room away I shouted "Lies and slander!" and they all paused for a horrified moment then bust a gut laughing

that's right, I'm pretty popular amongst computer science phds.
    Gentlemen.

Knowing some phds myself - are you sure you want to admit that in public?

dude, I'm already so far inside this oubliette I'm never seeing the sun again.

I need to know how to pronounce this word.

Just like it sounds.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    hahaha

the CS nerds in the next office over (and you know things are bad when a pack of roboticists are calling you nerds) are having a loud argument about why LaTeX distros for Windows chiefly suck balls
    and so from an entire room away I shouted "Lies and slander!" and they all paused for a horrified moment then bust a gut laughing

Gentlemen.

oob - lee - ette

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    /nɜːd/

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    hahaha

Gentlemen.

oob - lee - ette

Gesundheit

• Options
    I love how "nurd" is a legitimate spelling for nerd.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    hahaha

Gentlemen.

oob - lee - ette

I am now going to see how often I can insert a secret dungeon accessible only through a trapdoor into conversations.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    I think watching Labyrinth is the first time I heard that word back when I was a kid.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I thought that it was something you make with eggs.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    No that's an omelet. It's those things at the end of shoelaces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    no that's an aglet

oubliette was the last queen of france

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    No that's an omelet. It's those things at the end of shoelaces.

No, those are aglets. It's a ballet move.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    <--- Furiously scribbles notes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    no that's an aglet

oubliette was the last queen of france

No that's an Antoinette.
    An oubliette is a very very French web comic artist.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    No, that's Boulet.
    An oubliette is a landshark.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I, uh, think I was just offered the job. Official letter is apparently coming tomorrow so it'll be realer then.

Oh, this shit is a weird feeling.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It is the best time of the year. No not the holidays. It's ... production freeze time. Any and all changes to the system are now in the queue until mid January. So when the salesman comes up to me with an "urgent" request I can just say, "Production freeze sucka" and put it on the queue.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    That's aglets, their true purpose is sinister.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Two pretty high-ranking people praised my work and thanked me for filling in for the temporary position over the past 1.5 months. So that feels pretty damn good. Also had someone basically ask me to do all the training of the new person and to try to shoo away the other one.

Potluck was interesting. There was someone there asked random Presidential facts and it turned into a discussion about conspiracy theorists. Then this abbreviated conversation occurs.

Me: Yeah, unfortunately you can't convince conspiracy theorists with logic because they don't subscribe to logic, only their own interpretations.
    Him: True. Kind of like how Democrats keep saying there's nothing going on with that Uranium One deal.
    Me: I'm not sure whether to call this ironic or you a hypocrite but I have a feeling this is just going to get worse.
    Him: Yeah the Steele Dossier was funded by Hillary Clinton, so there's nothing wrong with Trump. Whom I don't actually like all that much, but he's not a politician so I find that refreshing.
    Me: *angry mental screeching noises*

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Second day at New Job training and it's still one of those dreamlike situations where all of the new and shiny equipment puts me in a daze.

Having said that, always being visible to my sous chef trainer, always saying 'yes' to any work-related request, always being focused on the task at hand rather than chumming it up with everyone has helped me quite a bit.

In addition, every other new hire is doing their best to put on a good show, so much so that we've knocked out so much prep in two days that tomorrow looks like we'll have finished five days of prep in just three days; the head chefs and sous chefs are pretty much blown away by how hard we're all working.

We open for dinner service on the 29th of November; if anyone is in DFW and interested in a swanky dining experience, let me know via PM and I'll give you the location. It's breathtaking right now, but the outdoor amphitheater as well as the other establishments being built next to us (all the same company!) will turn a small city block into a gigantic fucking party-town.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    of all the weird ...

had a visit today from a guy who identified himself as homeland security. I didn't get a chance to speak to him directly, though. So I dunno if he had credentials.

Apparently looking for information on someone who worked here years ago. I'm not sure even the most senior employee was here during the period of interest.

(said senior employee is the dude I was complaining about; haven't had any issues since bringing it to my RGM's attention)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Even AP calc is easy compared to college calc. Like Jesus shit.

College calc was tied for worst academic experience of my life. It shares that honor with the software design and development class which consisted entirely of working on one project the whole semester as a group. Also the only other student in the class was very recently ex girlfriend.

Diff. Eq.

Taught by a mumbling Russian septuagenarian.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    @Darth Waiter I'm really happy that you've found a better place of work where hopefully your effort and commitment will actually be recognised.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Someone warmed up fish in the work microwave.

People are audibly and rightly upset.

Burn that place to the ground. It's the only way to make the smell go away

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    A tutor just slipped me a fiver for helping him put posters up and showing him how to print. Niiiiiiiiicee.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    1) Ctrl+p
    2) money!

I like the this get rich quick scheme

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Ah no ctrl P wasn't working! I showed him other means. A fiver is a lot to a student right now, but he has set a precedent of handing out cash the foolish man.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Ah no ctrl P wasn't working! I showed him other means. A fiver is a lot to a student right now, but he has set a precedent of handing out cash the foolish man.

Use that £5 responsibly.

Buy as much special brew as possible and get Wednesday drunk

Y'know....maybe there was a reason I only got a 2:2

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Got an alert that I've been been signed up for an "enclosed laser safety training course"

Can't wait to find out why

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Got an alert that I've been been signed up for an "enclosed laser safety training course"

Because unenclosed lasers are extremely dangerous?

tumblr_inline_nxcfiaylkx1tcrqyq_500.gif

• Options
    I always felt the best lasers are the ones you can use in a foggy room.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

This is probably just laser tag but they wanted the university to pay for it.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Last night towards the end of hosting trivia someone who wasn't playing walked up and slapped $5 down on my table in front of me and asked me to play a pretty terrible Jason Aldean song. Most nights I would have given him the money back since country music isn't very popular at that bar, but that was my last night hosting there so he got his song.

Then when I was getting ready to leave he kept hounding me for when he could use the jukebox, despite my telling him that it would be no more than 5 minutes. So when the jukebox was back on and he and his buddy had paid for a pile of other country songs I used his $5 to fastpass What Is Love? by Haddaway, Barbie Girl by Aqua and Bye Bye Bye - which means they jump the line and play next, and cannot be jumped in retaliation - waved to my regulars, and took off.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Because unenclosed lasers are extremely dangerous?

tumblr_inline_nxcfiaylkx1tcrqyq_500.gif

An enclosed laser training course doesn't sound any better!
    https://youtu.be/RIvQpcmqBtw

• Options
    Just got to the middle school today and they asked if I wanted to do PE instead 8th grade math

I just looked at them and went "nah"

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Does anyone hear have tinnitus? Especially the buzzing kind rather than ringing? I can hear buzzing most of the day now, but it sounds like it's coming from outside of my ear so I'm not sure if it's actually tinnitus or not.

• Options
    I think I have the buzzing kind. I hear a low hum if it's dead quiet in a room.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If it's not tinnitus it's something weird in my house and I have zero fucking idea what it could be.

• Options
    You could rule it out being a house noise and record it with your phone or something.

• Options
    Fluorescent lighting gives off a very low buzzing. Could also be the central A/C or another random appliance.

This discussion has been closed.