As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »
    1) high pressure sales for extended warranty and "upgrades" (undercoat, 3M film, theft protection, etc.) after you have finalized the negotiation with the salesperson and their supervisor. This is when you are at your weakest and are feeling relief at negotiating the price and just want to get finished up. This is usually done by the person filling out the bill of sale and financing paperwork, they will cajole and wheedle and do everything under the sun to convince you that if you don't buy these products you are going to lose your shirt in the event that something does go wrong.

The rest of your points are right on, but, a some of these are worth it:

If you live in the frozen north and salt is used on the roads, you should get the ziebart undercoating if they offer it.

Also consider GAP insurance. If your vehicle is totaled you're not on the hook for the rest of the loan. Even if there's no collateral to collect, you still have to pay your vehicle's note if it gets totaled. It's worth the cost too.

You can get any of the products they offer as after market upgrades for cheaper at an independent auto shop if you feel you need it. The items they offer during this session are almost pure profit for the dealership which is why they push them so hard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Some random UI/UX developer wants to add me to her linkedin and I have no idea who she is.

She lives in seattle, works for a company based in Baltimore MD, and went to school at the Savannah College of Art and Design.

I'm trying to figure out if she's also a recruiter (I think she owns the business that's based in Baltimore) or just made a mistake or what.

Do it.
    While you are gainfully employed, if something goes bottom-up at your company, or if you have friends who are in need of a job, having people on your profile is a good thing. I pretty much accept nearly everyone who asks due to this, and I am gainfully employed. A simple post to your friends or bros or whatever LI calls it can really help someone.

And if you're being catfished, you can just block them and move on with your life.

No idea what would be gained by catfishing me here though even.

I don't even have my picture on my linkedin profile.

Get dunked on catfishers!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    1) high pressure sales for extended warranty and "upgrades" (undercoat, 3M film, theft protection, etc.) after you have finalized the negotiation with the salesperson and their supervisor. This is when you are at your weakest and are feeling relief at negotiating the price and just want to get finished up. This is usually done by the person filling out the bill of sale and financing paperwork, they will cajole and wheedle and do everything under the sun to convince you that if you don't buy these products you are going to lose your shirt in the event that something does go wrong.

The rest of your points are right on, but, a some of these are worth it:

If you live in the frozen north and salt is used on the roads, you should get the ziebart undercoating if they offer it.

Also consider GAP insurance. If your vehicle is totaled you're not on the hook for the rest of the loan. Even if there's no collateral to collect, you still have to pay your vehicle's note if it gets totaled. It's worth the cost too.

You can get any of the products they offer as after market upgrades for cheaper at an independent auto shop if you feel you need it. The items they offer during this session are almost pure profit for the dealership which is why they push them so hard.

The bonus is you can usually wrap them into the loan instead of paying out of pocket too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Echo wrote: »
    Today I have done a big chunk of time-related coding.

All programmers hate having to deal with time.

http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time

I had an issue with my home PC where the CPU clock was running like one third the speed of the motherboard's clock, or vice versa.
    In any case, different time calls were using different clocks and I was experiencing desynchronisation in different parts of games.
    Like in The Witness, the final challenge had the music set to the shorter timer, but the actual time I needed to beat was three times as long.
    Or in Team Fortress 2, people would emote really slowly, and then be able to move while emoting.

But perhaps on topic:
    I've been mandated by law to treat leap years as normal years and normal years as leap years in one occassion at my work.
    (One or the other depending on the test scenario)

discrider on
  • Options
    lol I guess they hired someone new and they didn't tell me and they're looking for her to have logins. How do I know this? Because my boss was annoyed she wasn't able to do anything in our system and was kind of combative about why I didn't make her a username yet.

"No one even told me we had a new employee"

I guess the office manager attempted to send an email but instead of hitting send hit delete instead.

But the kicker to that? She did it yesterday, the day she started. Not like, 3-4 days ahead of time like I asked.

"I'll have it ready for you sometime tomorrow" was my response.. so I'll probably hand it over after noon or something. For fucks sake people just do your god damned jobs, you know you're hiring someone at least a week ahead of time just fire off an email and give me their name.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I used to get frustrated by HR/office managers so often

Then I became one and I'm even more frustrated now because a heck of a lot of stuff is super quick and easy to do, it literally takes minutes to get a new employee set up in payroll/benefits/etc.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    As a consultant, it happens more often than it ever should, that I spend 2-6 weeks being paid for very little. It's really bad because the client knows months ahead of time that we'll be starting, they'll have our names and company email addresses.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

Then I became one and I'm even more frustrated now because a heck of a lot of stuff is super quick and easy to do, it literally takes minutes to get a new employee set up in payroll/benefits/etc.

Yeah I mean realistically it's only going to take me like 10 minutes to get an account, email, and all the programs set up for her (our EMR software ties into our domain logins).

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Being a jerk, I stayed as late as I could in the hopes that one of the other tenants would finish the driveway before I got back. Unfortunately there was still 40 minutes of shoveling I had to do when I got back.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    First job I had here in the U.S. the office manager took over three months to get me enrolled in healthcare

Once I took over her job I could sign people up within 5 minutes of receiving their forms

It's pretty standard for companies - from what I've seen - to claim you won't receive your first paycheck direct deposit, that it takes a while to set up, etc. If it's a small company using Quickbooks? 10 minutes max, and that gives enough time to double-check everything
    Janson wrote: »

Yeah I mean realistically it's only going to take me like 10 minutes to get an account, email, and all the programs set up for her (our EMR software ties into our domain logins).
    Yes! To be clear I wasn't claiming you were at fault in any way!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I am in an extremely bad mood today. I think I'm falling out of love with my job.

Can you please stand in this river then paint for me how you feel?

(Jokes. That sucks I'm sorry Smof :( )

I would love to stand in a river right now. All our rivers are just sand at the moment.

I am just frustrated because I feel like I'm supposed to be able to produce results that are actually way beyond my knowlege and experience, and everyone seems to think it's so easy and I should just be able to do it, and I'm like... you do know I only have a BSc... in an unrelated field... from 8 years ago...?

I can relate.

One of the most frustrating things about my current job is people saying something like, "All you have to write in that email is buffalo charlie hamburger!" And I'm like... ok I know what all those words mean, but not in that configuration. Give me a template, motherfucker, and stop throwing up your hands saying, "it's so easy, though!" Yeah it's easy if you understand the jumble of words you just gave me, and I will understand that configuration in time, but for now give me a template.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've had to evacuate my office because of maybe mold or something. It's a real good time.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The shelving company had to reschedule when their installers could arrive at my school so now I'm going down tomorrow morning to be there so that they can come and install the new endcap pieces on my book shelves that were moved for the dumb classroom expansion.

Oh well. I can start cleaning up stuff before I have to start back proper on Monday.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    This morning I sent a note to a couple of contacts at a client company to see if they have any openings.
    They do not, but at least they responded. One suggested I start up a LinkedIn account to job hunt. I really do not want to do that.

• Options
    worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I've had to evacuate my office because of maybe mold or something. It's a real good time.

Is maybe mold better or worse than black mold? How does is compare to probable asbestos?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think the problem with asbestos is that you don't know it's there until you start to die. The problem with maybe mold as opposed to black mold is that you have no idea what the fuck it is or where the smell is coming from

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    As someone who gets to explain about asbestos a lot:

Usually asbestos in building is fairly safe. Until you start drilling holes without knowing where the asbestos is.

From what I understand about it asbestos exposure risk is fairly linear, so coming into contact with it once or twice isn't the worst.
    It gets bad if you are breathing in those very sharp microfibres day in, day out.

There are a lot of houses over here that have asbestos between the walls and just get rented out with "DO NOT drill into Wall X"

Also at my work I suffer the "cultural normative name field" problem a lot.
    By Dutch law, a lot of african people don't have a first name, only 3 last names. (A "namerow"). The Dutch government is pretty precise about registering this and placing it on permits.

This is a problem when signing up for stuff like health insurance, since they match lastname fields exactly, so I have to fill in the namerow as last name.
    But I cannot submit the form if there's no first name.

What we do is just double up, leaving people with names like John John Smith

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Went over to the new position at noon. Spent four hours getting trained on the entire job by the one going out on medical starting tomorrow. Because apparently waiting until the last minute is a THING here.

Also realized that this paycut from no supervision pay means I'm gonna need to be a bit more strict at PAX South in a week instead of just relaxing. So I'm a wee bit irritated.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Got voluntold at work to support a meeting in Maryland next week. I can't say I'm thrilled about it, what with the current weather situation, but oh well. Good thing I still have my heavy coat!

Karrde1842 on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    voluntold

Will always be one of my favorite words.

Also, yesterday's XKCD was extremely topical to my job. :D

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Got voluntold at work to support a meeting in Maryland next week. I can't say I'm thrilled about it, what with the current weather situation, but oh well. Good thing I still have my heavy coat!

What part? I'm near Fort Meade (halfway between Baltimore/DC), so if you want someone to play tour guide hit me up.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    "Hey, Mike, what are you going to do for your birthday tomorrow since you're working tonight?"

"I'm going to get drunk at Chuck E. Cheese and run up the skee-ball ramp and start dumping skee-balls into the 100 point target; if someone tries to stop me, I'll just go drink some more until I puke into the ball pit."

"Are ... are you serious?"

"Then it's Puke and Rally until I get belligerent enough to start a fight with the animatronic band for singing off key."

"Dude, you're going to jail."

"I shall not rest until I have a lifetime ban from their entire corporation and all of it's franchises."

"Man, you're fucking with me; Chuck E. Cheese doesn't even serve booze."

"Google it."

*google* "Oh, shit."

"You're coming with me."

"I don't even know you!"

"Your name is Catfish Joe and together we will soar into greatness."

I really love fucking with gullible people.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I dunno, Catfish Joe is a pretty solid nickname.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    "Hey, Mike, what are you going to do for your birthday tomorrow since you're working tonight?"

"I'm going to get drunk at Chuck E. Cheese and run up the skee-ball ramp and start dumping skee-balls into the 100 point target; if someone tries to stop me, I'll just go drink some more until I puke into the ball pit."

"Then it's Puke and Rally until I get belligerent enough to start a fight with the animatronic band for singing off key."

"I shall not rest until I have a lifetime ban from their entire corporation and all of it's franchises."

"Google it."

*google* "Oh, shit."

"You're coming with me."

"I don't even know you!"

This is amazing

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So, that’s two out of two coworkers I work with that have had heart issues while at work. Both are rather young. I’m wondering if I am unconsciously absorbing their life essence during the midnight shift.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    So, that’s two out of two coworkers I work with that have had heart issues while at work. Both are rather young. I’m wondering if I am unconsciously absorbing their life essence during the midnight shift.

unsure whether to awesome or just keep my distance

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I work with one that was just hired
    He is well fat and weeazes a lot so I too don't know if I should be really worried

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One of my co-workers had a heart attack at work last year. She's about my age and a hell of a lot fitter than I am, so that caused me to pause. Got medical attention so all ended well, but was a little surprising.

orthanc
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    shit. i wanted to look at a bunch of sequential images and stupid me figured it would be easier to do that if I put them in a video
    and I've just realised that that's gonna take nine goddamn hours to process.

someone get me a 12.1GHz processor please and thank you.

well I could probably get you a whole bunch of old 3 and 486es and put them in a Beowulf cluster

maybe get a whole GHz out of it

that's the same thing, right?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You want to hear what's annoying

Every year my company has a network change freeze over Christmas.

And every year the process changes all the time because the initial process document doesn't cover everything.

We do this every year. How the fuck have they not got a change management process for the freeze nailed down at this point. Our company is DECADES OLD

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

"Google it."

*google* "Oh, shit."

"You're coming with me."

"I don't even know you!"

One of my goals in life is to be able to come up with shit like this off the cuff and get people to believe it in the moment. I've gotten better, over the years, but I still have a ways to go before I can come up with shit like Catfish Joe.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Today I have done a big chunk of time-related coding.

All programmers hate having to deal with time.

http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time

a lot of those assumptions are dumb and would be thwarted by a 2nd grader's understanding of time and dates.

i think that's the point

also assumptions 8-16 are being violated on at least one of my systems right now

I feel like this link jinxed me. I've just spent the morning refactoring a date-related function because the previous programmer's understanding of how PHP deals with time wasn't exactly up to scratch.

If you ask PHP to add a month onto something it'll add 31 days. Because obviously a month is 31 days. So of course taking a date of, say, 31st January and adding a month on obviously gives you 3rd March. What did you expect?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ♫♫ If it hadn't been for Catfish Joe.. ♫♫

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ♫♫ If it hadn't been for Catfish Joe.. ♫♫

You wouldn't have ended up falling in love with what turned out to be a 47 year old trucker from Montana?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Can I go too? I love skee-ball and spend far too much time watching crane game videos on youtube.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Dammit, Bowen. I have that stuck in my head now.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Dammit, Bowen. I have that stuck in my head now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYZaiDZ7BM

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    The 90s thread is leaking.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Good news, my coworker did not have a heart attack....

She had a clot in her lung.

Which means while serious, she’s already back home and recovering.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm at school waiting for these shelving people. The only other staff here are the secretaries, IT guy, and custodians. I've already taken down all the holiday decorations and cleaned the tables.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.