As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Wow.
    Student population is ~50% white, but 92% of the teachers are white?

Huh. I'm sure that says something, but I have no idea what.

That is fairly common. It just. Yeah. I don't know what it means either. My school is 75% percent Hispanic but only 10% of our teachers are Hispanic. Our principal is and tries to hire more whenever he can but there aren't a lot of applicants.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also fun fact. My district has more teachers than Zon's does students. And that is just classroom teachers not admin and service positions.

Yeah, we aren't a particularly large school district.

By comparison, our closest school districts look like this:

Puyallup -- 20,383 students, 1,027 staff
    Federal Way -- 23,218 students, 1,311 staff
    Tacoma -- 30,060 students, 1,741 staff
    Zonugal's -- 3,737 students, 210 staff

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My district has more students than the two largest on zons list combined

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    My district has more students than the two largest on zons list combined

Yeah mine is 51,000 as of three years ago.

My school alone has 1,800 students.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Haha, I live in NYC, so

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    My high school beat Zonugal's district I think.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    New York. Fuck it we have so many schools just call them by number instead of name.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My graduating class had 11. Do I win?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have just realized that the GIS lesson plan (which I am very behind on), allows me a free subscription to ArcgisOnline.

I should use this to build a portfolio, but of what?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So who has a job for me in Washington

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Amazon is always hungry for new meat

My job is always hungry for not morons.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

What is it you want to/can do?

@Tonkka just left an opening as a bar cook; you cook, right?

• Options
    Preferably something in the legal field, I do have a paralegal degree that's been as yet unused.

I mean I do work in a law firm but not as a paralegal or anything approaching legal support staff.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Preferably something in the legal field, I do have a paralegal degree that's been as yet unused.

I mean I do work in a law firm but not as a paralegal or anything approaching legal support staff.

I have a friend in that field, let me ask him if he's got any leads

• Options
    Legal Assistant at Amazon?
    I mean, I would never encourage anyone to work at Amazon, but it sounds like it kinda fits you.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm looking for work in the illegal field.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Anybody know how to use Oracle ERP, or have a suggestion on learning it?

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Are you a cop?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    If anyone in southern ontario just noticed their lights go dim for a second that was us starting up some giant ass pumps

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Are you a cop?

you have to tell him

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

Well, if you need something temp I can probably get you a spot at my store. I know it's not ideal, but if you just need money/benefits while getting settled..

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »

Well, if you need something temp I can probably get you a spot at my store. I know it's not ideal, but if you just need money/benefits while getting settled..

I'll keep that in mind!

Right now all we know is

1) We're definitely moving
    2) We're probably going to move in with my parents for a while so we can save and buy our own house.
    3) Ideally I would probably move up before the family does and get a room paying as little rent as possible so I can save the rest/send the rest home.

But basically we have no real timeframe at the moment either.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

Yeah. . . the shifts and kitchen hours got changed around to accommodate my leaving/address slow kitchen times. There are not a lot of hours to go around, and all the shifts are pretty much covered.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I have a friend in that field, let me ask him if he's got any leads

Same! I'll ask me two friends who practice in the area.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote: »

Yeah. . . the shifts and kitchen hours got changed around to accommodate my leaving/address slow kitchen times. There are not a lot of hours to go around, and all the shifts are pretty much covered.

My short experience in a kitchen (Well, 2 years isn't too short, I guess) has taught me that I don't want to work in a kitchen again if I can help it.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Where can you even get that data from?

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Got a link to that article?

korodullin let me know if this is behind a paywall, but if not:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n19/george-duoblys/one-two-three-eyes-on-me

It's not paywalled, thanks!

I'm guessing the reporter was wearing sunglasses. Or maybe they are still working on hiding the brainwashing acronyms in images.

Also quotations of encouragement from Gove and Boris (Let's make a 'joke' and add five years to a womans prison sentance in Iran) Johnson. I feel that is Nuke the site from orbit territory.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I put in my two weeks notice last Friday. Today they told me that my last day would be Wednesday. Not surprising, but that 1.5 weeks of no salary ain't pretty. And while I don't mind raising the double fingered salute to the powers that be, I now have two weeks worth of work to do in a stupidly short period of time so that I don't fuck over my team (who don't deserve this level of BS).

I also got to tell the rest of the staff today. It turns out that I just ruined "Steve Day." The whole of the first floor was going to dress up like me on Wednesday just to fuck with me. I'm only upset by this because I could have easily walked in, witnessed this, and just "I fucking quit" and have kept on walking.

Alas.

• Options
    A teacher caught two kids having sex behind a portable today.

So glad it wasn't me. I'd have to bleach my eyeballs.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Do your best, don't work yourself to death for the sake of your team because everything that goes belly up from that point on is going to be your fault regardless.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    when I graduated from school we had 200 in a class, that ballooned to 400 in under 10 years.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    TurboTax sent me an email today. God, I feel like I just did my taxes, but I guess it was 7 months ago.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I put in my two weeks notice last Friday. Today they told me that my last day would be Wednesday. Not surprising, but that 1.5 weeks of no salary ain't pretty. And while I don't mind raising the double fingered salute to the powers that be, I now have two weeks worth of work to do in a stupidly short period of time so that I don't fuck over my team (who don't deserve this level of BS).

I also got to tell the rest of the staff today. It turns out that I just ruined "Steve Day." The whole of the first floor was going to dress up like me on Wednesday just to fuck with me. I'm only upset by this because I could have easily walked in, witnessed this, and just "I fucking quit" and have kept on walking.

Alas.

What the... fuck?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    If anyone in southern ontario just noticed their lights go dim for a second that was us starting up some giant ass-pumps

Nice.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    If anyone in southern ontario just noticed their lights go dim for a second that was us starting up some giant ass pumps

soft start!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    @tynic Got a link to that article?

@korodullin let me know if this is behind a paywall, but if not:

That sounds horrible. Facist approach to education. Really like something somewhere between 1984, Napola or V for Vendetta.

What is KIPP? The webpage doesn't explain it very well at all, and a quick search isn't producing a nice TLDR for it.

Also, is that actually non-fiction? Like, this is a real fucking thing, happening right now? Not out of a Heinlein novel/short story?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Alas.

What the... fuck?

Ah, right. About that.

They've been having fun turning me into a meme. They found a picture of me doing product modeling for ThinkGeek and began photoshopping it all over the place. Then for Halloween I dressed up a our art director (who has a very, let's call it distinct, style). In turn, one of my staff dressed up as me. Then my face showed up on all the posters around the office. So I made everyone's wallpaper on their computer a picture of me giving them the finger (lock your computers, kids).

Their next salvo was organizing 15 people into dressing like me. Turns out the guys have been growing out their goatees for a few days now.

I think I won by default by quitting. The only winning move is not to play and all that.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    @tynic Got a link to that article?

@korodullin let me know if this is behind a paywall, but if not:

That sounds horrible. Facist approach to education. Really like something somewhere between 1984, Napola or V for Vendetta.

What is KIPP? The webpage doesn't explain it very well at all, and a quick search isn't producing a nice TLDR for it.

Also, is that actually non-fiction? Like, this is a real fucking thing, happening right now? Not out of a Heinlein novel/short story?

KIPP runs a bunch of charter schools all over. I thought just across the country, but apparently it is international.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Alas.

What the... fuck?

They found a picture of me doing product modeling for ThinkGeek and began photoshopping it all over the place.

Was it the "tactical" apron?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am mostly over the cold I got last week but the final remnant has hunkered down in my chest so I am just coughing and wheezing and hacking my lungs up constantly.

I need to learn to stop coming home in winter.

This discussion has been closed.