As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    An actual use for the vitality sensor!

...why did they ever think the vitality sensor was an idea worth pursuing in the first place?

edzepp on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess an official stylus bundled with a new Art Academy, but also for use in Miiverse 2.0 if that is ever a thing.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Does the Switch support Blue-tooth? Because something like a FitBit for heart rate tracking would work for that idea for Eternal Darkness 2.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I am already brainstorming ways to troll a vitality sensor wearing roommate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    An actual use for the vitality sensor!

...why did they ever think the vitality sensor was an idea worth pursuing in the first place?

Wii Fit set the world on fire for like six months.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    rdkezfqzsqui.jpg

The wife got me this pimp BotW hoodie for my birthday! She made sure it was BotW because she said I have too much of the old Zelda stuff. It's so nice having a wife who knows gaming.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    If there's a trailer for a peripheral, it better be goddamn GameCube Joy Cons. Or the GameCube controller adapter.

If not, I'LL JUST BE SLIGHTLY PUT OUT!

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Speaking of Switch peripherals, browsing the switch section of Argos (UK, warehouse retailer) and this image made me do a double take:

7598216_R_SET?$Web$&$Main350$&w=220&h=220&qlt=70
    It's a car charger apparently.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I charged my Switch 3 times last night. :P

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Switch peripherals, browsing the switch section of Argos (UK, warehouse retailer) and this image made me do a double take:

This must be the leaked peripheral everyone's been talking about.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm certainly no car expert, but I'm kinda surprised car chargers are still a thing these days. I'd have expected cars to ditch the cigarette lighter and just straight up have USB ports.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I'm certainly no car expert, but I'm kinda surprised car chargers are still a thing these days. I'd have expected cars to ditch the cigarette lighter and just straight up have USB ports.

Quite a few cars do have USB ports. They usually also have cigarette lighters but I guess thats just because its something thats always been there.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I got a new car, and it's got both. But there's no cigarette lighter, just the power socket for one. Given the number of chargers and things that use them, it makes sense to leave it there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The port itself is still there because it would be a massive headache to get rid of the entire industry thats been built up around manufacturing devices and adapters that use the port but in terms of the actual cigarette lighter those have almost entirely been phased out. They're basically just an obscure option at this point. In fact many of those ports have been entirely converted into 12v sockets that wont even support a lighter, usually the one near the driver is the only socket that still supports a lighting device.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Wow @MNC Dover

You look like Ron Swanson's mustache-less younger brother.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Now I'm wondering if bathroom reading/gaming is a thing in countries with squatting style toilets and how sanitary said toilets are.

I would imagine that if it was, you would have very well developed legs.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering if bathroom reading/gaming is a thing in countries with squatting style toilets and how sanitary said toilets are.

I would imagine that if it was, you would have very well developed legs.

With squat toilets, every day is leg day!

I live in a country where squat toilets are a thing, but we don't usually use them much nowadays.

• Options
    South Park: The Fractured but Whole might be releasing on Switch March 13th. I haven't picked that up yet, so I might go Switch version if that's true.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    About that earlier Freedom Planet Facebook post

zy13x9ibzbg8.jpeg

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Hmm, maybe don't release an image that suggests you're making a Switch port of your game if you aren't making a Switch port of your game currently?

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The port itself is still there because it would be a massive headache to get rid of the entire industry thats been built up around manufacturing devices and adapters that use the port but in terms of the actual cigarette lighter those have almost entirely been phased out. They're basically just an obscure option at this point. In fact many of those ports have been entirely converted into 12v sockets that wont even support a lighter, usually the one near the driver is the only socket that still supports a lighting device.

Hell I need *more* of those ports. I deliver for Pizza Hut on the weekends for some extra spending money and the roof magnet light uses that port. And I use an MP3 broadcaster that also uses that kind of port so I have a splitter, which looks like some kind of techno-octopus that sits between the seats. Having the Switch plugged in there, plus phone and tablet(s) for a longer trip, I'll need a 2nd car battery at some point >< #mrfusionplease

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Wow @MNC Dover

You look like Ron Swanson's mustache-less younger brother.

LOL! What a compliment! Which one?

Screen-Shot-2015-02-25-at-10.17.01-AM.png

Sadly, I'm about as far away from being a Swanson as is possible. Thanks for the kind words though. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

If it's leaked, you might need to see a doctor.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

If it's leaked, you might need to see a doctor.

One of these days we will have a giggle worthy headline such as:

Nintendo's dongle leaks ahead of schedule.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    About that earlier Freedom Planet Facebook post

zy13x9ibzbg8.jpeg

At this point, with all these reports of old indie games outselling other consoles combined, or coming close to, if you're not putting your indie game on Switch or at least making plans to, you've fucked up.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Uhh,

The Sandisk MicroSD cards were on sale at Best Buy. I nabbed a 128GB card for $49.99 for my Switch!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Uhh,

The Sandisk MicroSD cards were on sale at Best Buy. I nabbed a 128GB card for $49.99 for my Switch!

A coworker said he found some (well, literally 2 left) at Costco for $25. He snatched up both of them. Worth checking your local Costco just in case!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    oh my God. Portability is the best. I just realized I've played 60+hours of Xenoblade 2 and 90+hours of FIFA.

send help

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Sadly, I'm about as far away from being a Swanson as is possible. Thanks for the kind words though. :)

Hey man, all you have to do is enjoy the occasional steak or appreciate the craftsmanship on a nice table or chair every once in a while. That's as close to a Swanson as us normal folk can hope to be.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    oh my God. Portability is the best. I just realized I've played 60+hours of Xenoblade 2 and 90+hours of FIFA.

send help

I don't know if this is true in your case or not but I always feel like with past handheld gens, DS, PSP, 3DS etc. people would always say stuff like "eh, I wouldn't play a lot of games portably when I'm outside the house, I'm out to do stuff and socialize, not play games" and avoid handhelds on that basis. They don't realize how great it can be to have mobility just within your own house, lounge on the couch with Netflix running on the TV, or lie in bed.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

send help

I don't know if this is true in your case or not but I always feel like with past handheld gens, DS, PSP, 3DS etc. people would always say stuff like "eh, I wouldn't play a lot of games portably when I'm outside the house, I'm out to do stuff and socialize, not play games" and avoid handhelds on that basis. They don't realize how great it can be to have mobility just within your own house, lounge on the couch with Netflix running on the TV, or lie in bed.

Mine has left it's dock all of twice.

Once was to show my girlfriend what it looked like out of the dock.

The other time was for about 5min total.

If I'm playing a game in my house I want it on my TV.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have poor vision so mine stays docked at all times

no big deal

still an incredible system!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Well there's the advertised Wii U concept too, other people in your house wanting to use the TV for a bit so you switch over to portable mode. I prefer playing on the big screen too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    We’re currently a 2 TV household and I don’t have any plans to set a TV on my daughters’ bedroom. This means that the living room TV is always occupied until late LATE night. The Switch has been amazing whenever anyone else is using the TV.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    My daughter plays Stardew on the Switch undocked a lot of the time on the couch using the pro controller while watching/listening to youtube/spotify on her tablet via the blutooth headphones she got for xmas.

Technology be crazy and kids don't know how well they have it.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    I was positive I'd hardly ever undock the Switch when I bought it. Turns out, I've only ever docked it while playing twice. Once because I needed to charge the battery while playing Skyrim, and the other time was to see if Lego Marvel 2 still ran like dogshit (it did). Other than that, It's full lounge mode in the recliner with a Youtube or Netflix playlist on the TV.

• Options
    Oh yeah it has helped a TON when the missus wants to watch Netflix with me.

• Options
    Wait, technically three times docked! I forgot the majority of Mario Odyssey was played while docked.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ah yea.

In my home me and the girly basically watch all the same shows so our TV time is mutual.

There is never a situation where I'm trying to play a game and she's trying to watch something I'm not interested in.

I'm playing games either when she's at work or reading or just hanging out occasionally.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure about off-TV play on the Wii U, but I surprisingly used the hell out of it. As in, I'm sitting in the chair that is pointed at the TV the system is connected to, and I have full control of the use of the TV, and I'm still using the damn gamepad instead. I had to almost force myself to use the TV and remind myself that stuff like Hyrule Warriors actually looks pretty gosh darn purdy on it.

Switch use is more down the middle, especially now that I have the pro controller. Most games are generally on the TV. If I need to do something like farm bugs in Zelda, then I'll use it in handheld mode while at the computer with a map open or something. Some games like Picross are entirely handheld though, as a "I gotta go to the bathroom, time to break blocks!" thing.

Honestly, it's getting a pro controller that's opened it up to being used more freely. I don't have to deal with the faff of removing and attaching the joycons. So now I can just grab the thing out from the dock whenever the mood strikes me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.