As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Fates had some opportunities to be great, but everything fell flat. Bland writing and characters made for a boring experience. I think the idea of breaking the game into a Red/Blue Pokémon experience was ill-advised. One story that was interwoven between the houses might have worked better.

And for the love of god, no more time-bending children scenarios. Just have a time jump and have everyone age for a change.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Well, there has been no mention of kids in this one.

I guess instead you being your troops instructor and being able to "raise" them persay is a replacement for that mechanic.

I don't really mind it. While the kids in Awakening made sense for the most part, they were really just there in Fates. Like optional content to the point where they were very superfluous.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...Such a good design...such a terrible unit.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I was incredibly excited about Rinkah pre-release. She just looked like such an awesome character. And then... does poorly gameplay-wise, and has a boring personality...

//

There's also a fair bit of interesting stuff buried in support conversations, which makes them easy to miss. Like:
    Elise: Xander once told me that Father used to be really different, but he didn't say more. So I was hoping you could tell me what kind of person Father was back then.
    Leo: Hmm. Well, before Queen Arete passed away, I'd say he was a gentle father.
    Elise: Gentle?! No way! I can't even imagine him like that.
    Leo: I know. If I were you, I wouldn't believe it either. But I used to be fond of Father. He even gave me piggyback rides whenever I asked!
    Elise: What?! I'm so jealous! He never treated me like that! What else?!
    Leo: He was a courageous person. He'd even ride out to battle on the front lines. Obviously, I never saw him do so myself, but that's what I've been told. But I did see him spar. He was so strong... I couldn't help but believe the stories.
    Elise: Wow, really? I wanna meet back-then-Father! He sounds amazing!
    Leo: He was. To tell you the truth, I wish I could see him again as well. Let's see... What else did they say about him? Ah, yes. When he was young, they say he never ran out of love stories to tell. Ah, yes. All the girls in the kingdom wanted to be at his side. And they weren't just interested in the throne, either. He was quite the charmer.
    Elise: Heehee! OUR Father? A ladies' man?! It's not possible!
    Leo: I know it's hard to believe now, but he was known as an extremely charismatic leader. Unfortunately, this charisma inspired much chaos among his suitors. There were so many vying for his favor that they frequently turned to violence. Some even turned on members of their own family.
    Elise: What?! How could someone do that to their own family?
    Leo: I suppose they lost all sense of self-control in their effort to rise in position. I agree, it certainly does not speak well of their character.
    Elise: I see...

Leo: What's wrong?
    Elise: Well, I was just wondering... Do you think that we'll always get along? Not just you and me, but Xander and Camilla and Corrin too!
    Leo: Hm? Where's this coming from?
    Elise: I was just thinking about your about your story the other day. You said Father's suitors fought with their own family members... Couldn't the same thing happen to us? We have different mothers, after all...
    Leo: That we do. And yes, our mothers were not exactly... well, they weren't the friendliest. Before you were born, the situation was awful, even within the royal family. My own mother used me as a tool to win favor in the court.
    Elise: Leo...
    Leo: It's fine. I never loved her. In all fairness, she never loved me either. I was merely an instrument to her- a lever to pull to adjust the scales of power.
    Elise: I see... I... I think I know how you feel. All my mother cared about was Father. Even when she was dying, she only called out for Father. Not me.
    Leo: Elise...
    Elise: I'm just so worried, Leo. I love you all so much! But how can I make sure we don't ever turn on each other? What if we can't be close like this in the future? That would be awful!
    Leo: Calm yourself, Elise. You're getting carried away again. We'll never be like that. I promise. Whatever our blood ties may be, in our hearts we are truly a family. Nothing could ever change that.
    Elise: Really? You think so?
    Leo: I do.

I played through the entire game without finding out that the Nohrian royals were all half-siblings, and that they had a number of other deceased half-siblings. That's just not presented in the main story. So it was super weird to me that Corrin being Hoshidoan was a revelation to Xander and Camilla. Like, shouldn't they have known that Garon kidnapped her? That seems like a huge logic break. Once you find out that them randomly being introduced to new half-siblings was a regular occurrence it's much easier to take.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    There's also a fair bit of interesting stuff buried in support conversations, which makes them easy to miss. Like:
    Elise: Xander once told me that Father used to be really different, but he didn't say more. So I was hoping you could tell me what kind of person Father was back then.
    Leo: Hmm. Well, before Queen Arete passed away, I'd say he was a gentle father.
    Elise: Gentle?! No way! I can't even imagine him like that.
    Leo: I know. If I were you, I wouldn't believe it either. But I used to be fond of Father. He even gave me piggyback rides whenever I asked!
    Elise: What?! I'm so jealous! He never treated me like that! What else?!
    Leo: He was a courageous person. He'd even ride out to battle on the front lines. Obviously, I never saw him do so myself, but that's what I've been told. But I did see him spar. He was so strong... I couldn't help but believe the stories.
    Elise: Wow, really? I wanna meet back-then-Father! He sounds amazing!
    Leo: He was. To tell you the truth, I wish I could see him again as well. Let's see... What else did they say about him? Ah, yes. When he was young, they say he never ran out of love stories to tell. Ah, yes. All the girls in the kingdom wanted to be at his side. And they weren't just interested in the throne, either. He was quite the charmer.
    Elise: Heehee! OUR Father? A ladies' man?! It's not possible!
    Leo: I know it's hard to believe now, but he was known as an extremely charismatic leader. Unfortunately, this charisma inspired much chaos among his suitors. There were so many vying for his favor that they frequently turned to violence. Some even turned on members of their own family.
    Elise: What?! How could someone do that to their own family?
    Leo: I suppose they lost all sense of self-control in their effort to rise in position. I agree, it certainly does not speak well of their character.
    Elise: I see...

Leo: What's wrong?
    Elise: Well, I was just wondering... Do you think that we'll always get along? Not just you and me, but Xander and Camilla and Corrin too!
    Leo: Hm? Where's this coming from?
    Elise: I was just thinking about your about your story the other day. You said Father's suitors fought with their own family members... Couldn't the same thing happen to us? We have different mothers, after all...
    Leo: That we do. And yes, our mothers were not exactly... well, they weren't the friendliest. Before you were born, the situation was awful, even within the royal family. My own mother used me as a tool to win favor in the court.
    Elise: Leo...
    Leo: It's fine. I never loved her. In all fairness, she never loved me either. I was merely an instrument to her- a lever to pull to adjust the scales of power.
    Elise: I see... I... I think I know how you feel. All my mother cared about was Father. Even when she was dying, she only called out for Father. Not me.
    Leo: Elise...
    Elise: I'm just so worried, Leo. I love you all so much! But how can I make sure we don't ever turn on each other? What if we can't be close like this in the future? That would be awful!
    Leo: Calm yourself, Elise. You're getting carried away again. We'll never be like that. I promise. Whatever our blood ties may be, in our hearts we are truly a family. Nothing could ever change that.
    Elise: Really? You think so?
    Leo: I do.

I played through the entire game without finding out that the Nohrian royals were all half-siblings, and that they had a number of other deceased half-siblings. That's just not presented in the main story. So it was super weird to me that Corrin being Hoshidoan was a revelation to Xander and Camilla. Like, shouldn't they have known that Garon kidnapped her? That seems like a huge logic break. Once you find out that them randomly being introduced to new half-siblings was a regular occurrence it's much easier to take.

Yeah, this is something I kinda sorta picked up only after watching a few different let's plays, but I agree, I think the back story of Nohr seemed pretty interesting and it's a shame it was hidden behind support convos :( It also would have been really nice to see the real King Garon. I can only assume he was probably a lot like Xander. He had the potential to be such a cool character but they just had to go loony cartoon villain with him.

Side note, I was confused as hell about Azura for the longest time too. They really make it seem like she's not actually Garon's daughter but she is. Mostly I think Revelations is such a mess and makes things even more confusing at times

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is something I kinda sorta picked up only after watching a few different let's plays, but I agree, I think the back story of Nohr seemed pretty interesting and it's a shame it was hidden behind support convos :( It also would have been really nice to see the real King Garon. I can only assume he was probably a lot like Xander. He had the potential to be such a cool character but they just had to go loony cartoon villain with him.

Side note, I was confused as hell about Azura for the longest time too. They really make it seem like she's not actually Garon's daughter but she is. Mostly I think Revelations is such a mess and makes things even more confusing at times

Is she? I think Garon's just her step-father.

(She is Corrin's cousin, for sure.)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Fates was a real disappointment on the story side of things

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I have a lot of fondness for Fates as I really enjoyed my Conquest play-through. I groaned through much of the core story... it was undeniably irksome in how stupid it was... but I really enjoyed the variety of the missions, the challenge of Hard/Classic and gained a fondness for the Nohrian units. I often put the Fates OST on in the background when I am working.

I should have just played Revelations after that but I wasted my time on Birthright which was a massive step down in mission gameplay and never really liked the Hoshidans much. So little is explained in the Conquest/Birthright and the story is so hacky that it feels sort of exploitative.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    There was one part where Corrin, gasp, almost showed a bit of agency: when he acts like he's full heel to 'play along', but dammit, that's the only moment he's seemed interesting in this whole game.

Just go full Goldark already.

The music is great, though.

Is there even any reason to play Revelations?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    If you want "more" then Revelations qualifies.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If you want "more" then Revelations qualifies.

Of the plot? God no. Of Nohr's wacky cast and the missions? Maybe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Revelations does have both casts thrown together (with one or two exceptions), so it does have more of the Conquest cast. And the Birthright cast.

Revelations' maps are... a matter of some controversy, because a lot of them rely on gimmicks. They're not nearly as boring and straightforward as those of Birthright, but also not as brutal as those of Conquest. Personally, I quite like them, but I know there are people out there who don't.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    If you want more of the Nohr cast... and have any interest in the Hoshidoans (you haven't played Birthright, correct?)... then maybe. Revelations kind of awkwardly throws all of the characters at you (minus Yukimura and Izana, but plus Fuga). The plot is equally as terrible as Conquest (actually, Birthright does a touch better on that front, though still not good), and I recall the map design not being quite as interesting (but still inventive, and superior to Birthright).

//

Dorothea Arnold is the newest reveal. (Translations from Twitter):

"Oh my, you look like a wonderful person. Is this your first time at the monastery? Shall I show you around? Ah, my name is Dorothea. Before enrolling in school, I was in an opera company at the capital."

She was a well-known songstress at the capital before enrolling in school. As she was also in the Mittlefrank Opera company, she admires Manuela as her senior.
    She is the only commoner in the Black Eagles, and she occasionally feels uncomfortable about this, but she treats everyone like an equal when interacting with them.

"I didn't know how long fame as a songstress would last... So I chose my next step."

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Ahh yes, the natural transition from idol to officer.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options

Is she? I think Garon's just her step-father.

(She is Corrin's cousin, for sure.)

Maybe I completely misunderstood this. As I said, the whole thing is ridiculously confusing to me.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    For convenience's sake.

SEa3wUV.png

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    God the Fates family tree is so fucked up. I forgot all the Hosidans aren't even related to Mikoto because "lol marry your sister/brother"

• Options
    Talith wrote: »

Imagine how deadly the Idolm@ster corps would be.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

So is literally every character in this game a former opera singer? That is such a weird background to have repeated...

• Options

So is literally every character in this game a former opera singer? That is such a weird background to have repeated...

Wait until the rival school song and dance battles.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/d6FVd8b4uuw

It must be a common trope by now.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

Why wait?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wduO5w0tEc

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I should have just played Revelations
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Revelations?
    Revelations
    Revelations

It's Revelation, guys, no 's'. Like in the Bible?

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I think I say Revelations for the Bible one too.

Ehhhh...

• Options
    I think I say Revelations for the Bible one too.

Ehhhh...

Also, Persona 1.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    TamerBill wrote: »
    I should have just played Revelations
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Revelations?
    Revelations
    Revelations

It's Revelation, guys, no 's'. Like in the Bible?

Well actually, you're all wrong. It is spelled: "Revelaitons"

Proof:

8potj9yseyui.jpg

/debate
    But yes, no "s" at the end

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    For convenience's sake.

SEa3wUV.png

I skipped out on those games but the entire time I assumed that your relatives wouldn't be romance-able.

Retrospectively, I was astoundingly naive.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    There's a preview out for the next Famitsu:

5cd55ea6e6e87.jpg

Looks like it's going over some of the characters they've already tweeted about (and going off it the rest of the week should spotlight Felix (blue haired Blue Lion), Hilda (pink haired Golden Deer) and the other professor, who eagle-eyed people have said appears to be named Hanneman).

Bigger news is that it looks like characters having personal skills is back from Fates, and that they're going to be featured in this article.

Also, Nintendo of Europe released the official English localised names of the three students from last week: Hubert, Dedue, and Lorenz.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Also, Nintendo of Europe released the official English localised names of the three students from last week: Hubert, Dedubert, and Lubert.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Why wait?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wduO5w0tEc

...now invitation to the dance heaven?

I miss the PS1 era of janky rhythm games for everyone.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Big ol' gameplay infodump from Famitsu in this Twitter thread:

RIP the dream of using fist weapons while mounted

And this bit on the game's lore:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/botv6b/lore_about_crests_and_the_church_in_the_famitsu/

Some pretty obvious callbacks to Genealogy.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It's straight up Persona Emblem.

Quite interesting.

Looking really fun though.

Just let me get Dorothea on the Golden Deer side somehow and I'll be happy.

• Options
    What are the odds of the MC and their unknown crest pulling a Robin but instead of Grimanizing it's going to be their Crestsona shadow self or something.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    There's a thread on Reddit purporting to have "a friend" who told them a bit about the game. The person's keeping it vague enough that it's probably nonsense, but my big happy takeaway that I want to be true:
    There's a five year time skip and the character designer has a thing for facial hair.

Claude allegedly get some major mutton chops.

I want to believe!

//

And bio for Felix (translations from Twitter):

"...I've heard them say you're a skilled fighter. If that guy says so, I suppose it's true. I'd like to challenge you sometime. I'm looking forward to the day our swords clash."

The eldest son of the House of Duke Fraldarius. He calls his childhood friend Dimitri "boar", and is hard to approach.
    He tries to acts like a sharp-tongued lone wolf, and he is devoted to honing his skill in the sword, so much that he will challenge any strong person he meets to a duel immediately.

"There's nothing to be gained from fighting someone not worth dueling, after all."

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Do we have a release date?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Do we have a release date?

Yea we've had that for awhile.

It's out July 26th

• Options
    Also Felix is rad. Also also maybe true maybe not true about the usage of characters across houses from that reddit leaker
    They say you can recruit characters across houses with the exception of the Lords and their specific retainer. So I super hope this is true because then team GOLDEN DEER with Dorothea and Petra is a GO.

• Options
    I really like the design of this shaggy horse:

1e418o0jst62.jpg

Which is good, because it looks like Cavaliers get Canto as a class skill.

• Options
    Woah.

It's like a donkey goat horse

This discussion has been closed.