As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Chaotic Good
    Lawful Good
    True Neutral
    Lawful Evil

Impressions of route leads in order. I could be wrong with the later two.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Gonna have to clarify there. You didn't match the suggested alignments with the characters so it's hard to understand what you mean.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Gonna have to clarify there. You didn't match the suggested alignments with the characters so it's hard to understand what you mean.

Edelgard
    Dimitri
    Claude
    (4th Route Leader)

• The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm doing Black Eagles > Golden Deer > Blue Lions, unless the story persuades me to swap the last two.

Just general path stuff but no specific story info
    Supposedly Lions and Eagles spoiler each other more directly.

And also lookit at you all with your plans to actually play through the game that many times.

Deer and only Deer over here.

I guess I'm Deer now, but I want to steal Petra and Dorothea, I think? Doable?

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Golden Deer's voice actors continue trying to recruit players to their House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjljc2JabaY

Still gonna go Black Eagles, though.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm doing Black Eagles > Golden Deer > Blue Lions, unless the story persuades me to swap the last two.

And also lookit at you all with your plans to actually play through the game that many times.

Very Doable!

Also my same exact plan.

Playing Deer and stealing those two haha.

You just need DEX+RIDING and CHR+ AUTHORITY

So you should be able to get DEX, CHR and AUTHORITY all by just playing normally and using some battalions. Then Riding either get from some training or just play a mounted class for a bit.

A person playing on hard with no grinding maps available managed to steal 3 so those two should be pretty straightforward to get.

Gonna try to recruit all the characters that scream PALADIN! and/or JUSTICE! for the Blue Lions. Any ideas?

Edelgard
    Dimitri
    Claude
    (4th Route Leader)

Ok yea that makes sense. Was just confused because you said order but there is no order of the routes.

Someone also broke down the three to straightforward single sentence descriptions I will post below. Again no specifics but will hide anyway.
    Black Eagles: Fates Conquest, but with good writing

Blue Lions: Classic Fire Emblem

Golden Deer: You're on your own as the world goes to shit.

Gonna try to recruit all the characters that scream PALADIN! and/or JUSTICE! for the Blue Lions. Any ideas?

On the one hand, that's appropriate because that's the Blue Lions' whole thing. On the other hand, that means the Blue Lions already have all the justice paladins.

But in Nintendo's little Black Eagles promotional clip, they made it clear that Petra dislikes discrimination above all else, so she's probably a good fit.

• The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular

Very Doable!

Also my same exact plan.

So you should be able to get DEX, CHR and AUTHORITY all by just playing normally and using some battalions. Then Riding either get from some training or just play a mounted class for a bit.

A person playing on hard with no grinding maps available managed to steal 3 so those two should be pretty straightforward to get.

And this is what you need on your PC, Byleth, to entice them? (sorry, dumb Fire Emblem mechanics question)

On the one hand, that's appropriate because that's the Blue Lions' whole thing. On the other hand, that means the Blue Lions already have all the justice paladins.

But in Nintendo's little Black Eagles promotional clip, they made it clear that Petra dislikes discrimination above all else, so she's probably a good fit.

Hmmm. And she has a great design.

Gonna recruit Marianne for sure as well.

Very Doable!

Also my same exact plan.

And this is what you need on your PC, Byleth, to entice them? (sorry, dumb Fire Emblem mechanics question)

They're brand new Fire Emblem mechanics, so it's appropriate the game's set a school, because we all need to learn.

But yes, Byleth specifically needs to meet those stat and skill requirements to recruit characters from other Houses.

You can literally poach everyone from the other houses, and some of the teachers/church/etc except for the other faction Lords and their immediate retainer.

And I think you might be able to poach the retainers on NG+.

Very Doable!

Also my same exact plan.

The exact values aren't totally known(although there was a datamine just recently so maybe it is out there somewhere) but some examples we've seen have been B for skills and 15 for stats.

And yes for the MC.

But don't worry too much about needing to go towards specific classes. You can just get the requirements and then still do whatever you want. And if playing normal can freely grind out some of those skills separate from the story chapters.

SPOILERS.
    List of Non-MC Romantic Pairings. There are still BFF pairings besides these.

Black Eagles:

Edelgard // Ferd, Casper, Hubert\* (ending states that they never spoke aloud their romantic feelings, but they did exist)

Bernadetta // Hubert, Ferdinand, Linhardt, Casper, Felix, Raphael, Seteth

Petra // Hubert, Ferdinand, Linhardt, Casper, Dorothea, Ashe, Ignatz, Cyril

Dorothea // Ferdinand, Linhardt, Casper, Felix, Sylvain, Petra, Lorenz, Hanneman, Manuela\* (love is mentioned but could still be viewed as subjective)

Blue Lions:

Dimitri / Mercedes, Annette, Ingrid, Marianne, Flayn, Catherine

Mercedes // Ferdinand, Dedue, Felix, Ashe, Sylvain, Lorenz, Ignatz

Annette // Linhardt, Casper, Dedue, Felix, Ashe

Ingrid // Felix, Ashe, Sylvain, Raphael, Ignatz

Golden Deers:

Claude // Annette, Ingrid, Petra, Lysithea, Marianne, Hilda, Leonie, Flayn

Marianne // Ferdinand, Linhardt, Ashe, Lorenz, Ignatz

Hilda // Ferdinand, Casper, Lorenz, Cyril

Lysithea // Linhardt, Felix, Lorenz, Cyril

Leonie // Lorenz, Seteth

Teachers/Other:

Shamir // Hubert, Dedue,

Flayn // Ferdinand, Linhardt, Dedue, Felix,

Manuela // Ferdinand, Dorothea, Lorenz, Seteth, Hanneman

Catherine // Linhardt, Casper, Ashe, Lorenz, Seteth

Dorothea has gay romance options that not even F!Byleth can get. Girl has game.

Also note the cross faction romances for your poaching recruiting.

Now for the bad news.

There is one single M/M Byleth pairing.

There are five F/F Byleth pairings.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    What difficulty should I play on? Normal classic in awakening was too easy, normal classic in in conquest was too hard—I never finished it.

I know in 3H the progression is something like normal, hard, lunatic, infernal? Does that make normal easy?

I don’t want it to be a total pushover, but since it’s supposed to be an extremely long game, I’d rather not hit a brick wall like 50 hours in. I do want to finish it.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    What difficulty should I play on? Normal classic in awakening was too easy, normal classic in in conquest was too hard—I never finished it.

I know in 3H the progression is something like normal, hard, lunatic, infernal? Does that make normal easy?

I don’t want it to be a total pushover, but since it’s supposed to be an extremely long game, I’d rather not hit a brick wall like 50 hours in. I do want to finish it.

The only two known difficulties are Normal and Hard (though I suspect Lunatic can be unlocked later). From several of the previews, it seems like Normal is really easy. I suggest you start on Hard, since you always turn down the difficulty later (but supposedly you can't switch back from Normal to Hard). There's also the Divine Pulse system (think Mila's Turnwheel in Echoes) which lets you rewind a couple of turns a limited number of times to undo mistakes, so that also makes things a little easier.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This game (FE:A) is great and oh boy is it what I think strategy games should be. I played Fel Seal earlier this year, and while the game was fun, there's something about the level of strategic positioning in FE:A that's really starting to cook on all cylinders. I've finally gotten to the point where I'm spending more than 30 seconds on the fight planning screen mapping out positioning that will give me Omega-Level-Turn-1 status and then seeing that all come together as planned is just great.

. . .also I love seeing the sprite for my Grandmaster Tactician for my MC (figured she deserved me one and only Master Seal) with the flowing robes and chest armor.

I will say the enemy AI can be a bit. . .not smart. The boss on the Mountain Pass level attacked my MC who had Falchion equipped, and took 30X2 damage to the dome.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Updated recruiting demands (everyone but Ferdinand Edit: Ferdinand added):
    Black Eagles

Edelgard [NA // NA] -Un-recruitable
    Hubert [NA // NA] - Un-recruitable [?]
    Dorothea [Charisma // Authority] -EuroGamer Spain Preview
    Ferdinand [Dexterity // Armour] -Samurai-Gamer [?]
    Bernadetta [Strength // Bows] -Leak [?]
    Caspar [Strength // Brawling] -Kotaku
    Petra [Dexterity // Riding] -Famitsu
    Linhardt [Magic // Reason] - Leak [?]

Blue Lions

Dimitri [NA // NA] -Un-recruitable
    Dedue [NA // NA] - Un-recruitable [?]
    Felix [Speed // Swords] - SirloinStation
    Mercedes [Magic // Bows] -RogersBase
    Ashe [Charisma // Lances] -ebunny.net FAQ
    Annette [Magic // Faith] -Vandal.net
    Sylvain [Charisma // Reason] -ebunny.net FAQ
    Ingrid [Dexterity // Flying] -Twitter: @EdragonXX

Golden Deer

Claude [NA // NA] -Un-recruitable
    Hilda [Charisma // Axes // Dependant On Decisions] -Twitter: @EdragonXX
    Lorenz [Charisma // Reason] -GameSpot
    Raphael [Strength // Armour] -JapanExpo
    Lysithea [Magic // Faith] -EuroGamer Spain E3
    Ignatz [Dexterity // Authority] - 4chan Leaker [?]
    Marianne [Magic // Riding] - EuroGamer Spain Preview
    Leonie [Strength // Lances] -Famitsu

[?] represents that I haven't actually seen it to be true, and am relying on the word of others.

There's also the possibility that Sylvain can be easily recruited by F!Byleth and Leonie by M!Byleth, but I've seen some back-and-forth on the veracity of this.

LordSolarMacharius on
    ED! wrote: »
    I will say the enemy AI can be a bit. . .not smart. The boss on the Mountain Pass level attacked my MC who had Falchion equipped, and took 30X2 damage to the dome.

While true, some of my fondest Fire Emblem memories involve placing a General in a choke point and watching waves of enemies break against their armour, which probably wouldn't have happened if the AI realised that constantly attacking a unit they can't damage is not a smart thing to do.

Heh. Noticed something when looking at the S-Rank MC romance images.

All the females are set like a normal ero dating sim. Most of them only show the female. Of those that show the male Byleth, his face is hilariously obscured for a preset non-created character.
    Almost all the males are set like otome dating sims, the vast majority of them featuring female Byleth prominent in the image and emoting, showing the entire couple in a really cute pose together, with only a few of them done like the above.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

All the females are set like a normal ero dating sim. Most of them only show the female. Of those that show the male Byleth, his face is hilariously obscured for a preset non-created character.
    Almost all the males are set like otome dating sims, the vast majority of them featuring female Byleth prominent in the image and emoting, showing the entire couple in a really cute pose together, with only a few of them done like the above.

What about the same sex ones? Wondering if we see a blushing Myleth and a first person view from Fyleth.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Maz- wrote: »

Aw, look at them. So pure and happy and hopeful. I'm sure nothing will happen to change that.

This game (FE:A) is great and oh boy is it what I think strategy games should be. I played Fel Seal earlier this year, and while the game was fun, there's something about the level of strategic positioning in FE:A that's really starting to cook on all cylinders. I've finally gotten to the point where I'm spending more than 30 seconds on the fight planning screen mapping out positioning that will give me Omega-Level-Turn-1 status and then seeing that all come together as planned is just great.

. . .also I love seeing the sprite for my Grandmaster Tactician for my MC (figured she deserved me one and only Master Seal) with the flowing robes and chest armor.

Have you gone back to whoever told you it was just RPS and told them they were a fool yet?

edited July 2019
    Talith wrote: »

What about the same sex ones? Wondering if we see a blushing Myleth and a first person view from Fyleth.

None of the same sex s ranks have both characters in the pic

Alucard6986 on
    edited July 2019
    All character growth rates and stats have now been datamined! We will have basically all the info for everything by the time the game comes out friday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/cgxnva/three_houses_unit_growth_rates/

skills list updated as well:

https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/miscellaneous/abilities/

DemonStacey on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

While true, some of my fondest Fire Emblem memories involve placing a General in a choke point and watching waves of enemies break against their armour, which probably wouldn't have happened if the AI realised that constantly attacking a unit they can't damage is not a smart thing to do.

There's one chapter in Shadow Dragon where you're fighting your way into and through a castle, and there are constantly spawning enemy reinforcements from your deployment zone to (I presume) pressure you forward.

But I just parked Draug and Roger in the gateway. "Building is secure."

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular

It makes me uncomfortable that these are tropes that even exist.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

None of the same sex s ranks have both characters in the pic

Hmm, does that mean they think the players that go with a same sex pairing are generally the porn game audience?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    It might just save them time/money, not having to do one for each gender, but even a lot of the straight only ones use the same first person angle.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

I too am uncomfortable at the trope of *checks notes* lady in a cute pose with her SO.

They should have a prearranged marriage set up by their parents and never see each other before then like god intended.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I too am uncomfortable at the trope of *checks notes* lady in a cute pose with her SO.

They should have a prearranged marriage set up by their parents and never see each other before then like god intended.

The problem isn't that a pairing is shown. The problem is that only heteronormative pairings are shown, with no same sex pairings shown on the screen together. Sure, there apparently aren't a ton of pairings where both characters are shown together, but having it ONLY be straight pairings is disappointing.

edited July 2019
    Well, also that the male byleth romances are generally more...male gazey, suggestive/erotic while the female byleth romances are more romantic/wholesome. Petra/mbyleth is the one exception where you can see his face.

Alucard6986 on
    edited July 2019

...this part. The part where different genres of anime dating sims are used as reference points.

I put myself in the camp of deeply enjoying the story-based sRPG side of FE while finding the fetishization of weird anime dating/crossbreeding stuff off-putting. I resent having to Google "otome dating sim" to provide context for the upcoming release I'm hyped about.

Edit: Also yes, the heteronormative focus is also problematic if you're going to go through the effort of building in your romance minigames.

rndmhero on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A 5:1 female to male ratio for gay romances is hilariously insulting. It doesn't have to be 1:1, but at least try and make it look less obvious that you're catering to the straight male audience.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

...this part. The part where different genres of anime dating sims are used as reference points.

I put myself in the camp of deeply enjoying the story-based sRPG side of FE while finding the fetishization of weird anime dating/crossbreeding stuff off-putting. I resent having to Google "otome dating sim" to provide context for the upcoming release I'm hyped about.

Edit: Also yes, the heteronormative focus is also problematic if you're going to go through the effort of building in your romance minigames.

As someone who absolutely hated both Fates and Awakening, I sympathize. But you're also getting yourself in a tizzy over literally nothing. We're talking about still shots at the end of a support chain. Fire Emblem has always had paired endings. You did not "have" to google anything to provide context. You read a post about how certain genre conventions are being referenced with regards to how two figures are posed next to each other, something that you would have otherwise thought nothing of.

The crappy LGBT representation is a legit thing but it's also almost totally irrelevant to the issue of how figures are posed in an S rank shot.
    Well, also that the male byleth romances are generally more...male gazey, suggestive/erotic while the female byleth romances are more romantic/wholesome. Petra/mbyleth is the one exception where you can see his face.

I dunno if male gazey even really accurately sums up what's going on? It's honestly baffling. Take Leonie for example. You're just looking at her dead on, in first person. Ditto for Hilda, but that shot is very male gaze-y for wholly unrelated reasons to the actual perspective of the shot. In other shots, MByleth's face is obscured but he's just receiving a very enthusiastic hug. Not exactly eroticism in action.

Honestly the framing is kind of all over the place and I'm not sure why in a lot of cases.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited July 2019
    The Otome style does look cuter and better. There are so many super cute F!Byleth and partner images.

But yeah, they're targeting genre conventions of what female VN consumers like or are used too and what male VN consumers like or are used too. I just thought the fact that they put in work to do the two different styles for both genders of consumers was interesting.

Also, more Otome games need to be localized. At least AKSYS has been leading the charge there for the last number of years. They proved there was a hungry untapped market and now, finally, more publishers and localizers are getting in the game.

vagrant_winds on

As someone who absolutely hated both Fates and Awakening, I sympathize. But you're also getting yourself in a tizzy over literally nothing. We're talking about still shots at the end of a support chain. Fire Emblem has always had paired endings. You did not "have" to google anything to provide context. You read a post about how certain genre conventions are being referenced with regards to how two figures are posed next to each other, something that you would have otherwise thought nothing of.

I'm not getting into a tizzy over anything? I just said discussing different genres of anime dating sims as inspiration for a mainstream game makes me uncomfortable, which it does.

Ultimately I don't give a shit, because I already pre-ordered it and am going to have a blast playing it this Friday. But I had too many friends turned off or refuse to play the series after the Awakening/Fates weird fucking eugenics side plots to ignore their romance handling entirely. I suspect there's a pretty substantial player base that enjoys strategy games but will see discussions over whether otome or "normal" ero styles are cuter and just nope the fuck out. Which is a shame.

Either way, this is pretty tangential, so I'll drop it. The LGBTQ handling is obviously more problematic, but I think it's entirely in line with the toxic male-dominated tropes they're pulling from.

This discussion has been closed.