As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    IGN put up all the initial ranks and Strengths/Weaknesses/Budding Talents. I've made some images (note that Byleth is not customisable beyond naming and gender):
    6o3ob9iowqtk.jpg

o9i2pdwy8xov.jpg

lnxxgd4hl3s5.jpg

vcgq2eavgvb2.jpg

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It's pretty shocking that of all the previews out there now, everyone has gone Black Eagles or Golden Deer.

It will be interesting to see what the general population goes.

Black Eagles will probably be number 1 no matter what.

After the timeskip reveal the Blue Lions got A LOT of people interested so I'm not sure whether them or Deer (which most people agree has the least appealing supporting cast) will come out ahead.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Decided to take a look at the Master classes. Some thoughts on it:
    As other people have pointed out, it's weird that so many of them are mounted. Usually it's often been an option to go from infantry to mounted as you change classes, but it's rarely been the only path. The suggested progression being General -> Great Knight is just strange.

Another weird thing is that some classes straight up don't have clear, intended "goal" in the Master class section. Like, there's no higher tier Swordmaster in there, or a higher tier Assassin. Also, ironically enough since there are so many mounted units in that tier, there isn't a higher tier Paladin.

EIther we haven't seen all the classes yet, or maybe the Master classes are optional and not straight-up statistically better than the Advanced classes.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/3sRVHF0D2W4

Seems like there's aggro management and multi-target attacks, at least when dealing with monsters.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Is there only Black Eagles footage so far? Just starting to check out the game a bit.

After seeing the post-timeskip designs of the leaders, I'm kinda interested in the Blue Lions.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    As other people have pointed out, it's weird that so many of them are mounted. Usually it's often been an option to go from infantry to mounted as you change classes, but it's rarely been the only path. The suggested progression being General -> Great Knight is just strange.

Another weird thing is that some classes straight up don't have clear, intended "goal" in the Master class section. Like, there's no higher tier Swordmaster in there, or a higher tier Assassin. Also, ironically enough since there are so many mounted units in that tier, there isn't a higher tier Paladin.

EIther we haven't seen all the classes yet, or maybe the Master classes are optional and not straight-up statistically better than the Advanced classes.
    It also doesn't seem like there's a clear final Hero class which seems weird since that's usually a pretty common path for an MC.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Hero is weird in general. You need high Swords and Axes to pass its exam, and the only students who have Strengths in both of those are Edelgard, Ferdinand, and Petra. Of those three, the only one with their Goals normally set to Swords and Axes is Petra.

And yet Hero is male only.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It’s silly that every class isn’t available to all genders. No reason a woman can’t be a Hero, Pirate, or Berserker. Men should be able to be Pegasus Knights too, complete with the stupid skirt outfits they force the female riders to wear.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

It also doesn't seem like there's a clear final Hero class which seems weird since that's usually a pretty common path for an MC.
    Yeah, I'm actually planning on making my Byleth a Hero. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Byleth got his own special Master class to promote into, same with the three lords.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Is it possible that
    The higher-tier classes just have more involved requirements? So for example, in order to be a Great Knight you've probably got to have Riding, Armor, Axes, and Lances, all very high. Whereas for the General you only need Armor, Axes, and Lances.

Maybe it's less about "how powerful/strong" they would be and the difficulty in accessing them. In which case, yeah, any class with a flying mount is going to require TWO additional skills (Flying, Riding) over whatever the dismounted one would require.

On a slightly different note, sorely tempted though I am to make Byleth a General (as I generally do) some of those other classes seem really interesting. That Holy Knight, for example, is looking very cool.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    IGN put up all the initial ranks and Strengths/Weaknesses/Budding Talents. I've made some images (note that Byleth is not customisable beyond naming and gender):
    6o3ob9iowqtk.jpg

o9i2pdwy8xov.jpg

lnxxgd4hl3s5.jpg

vcgq2eavgvb2.jpg

So...
    F Byleth gets unarmed as a strength but can't use any class with it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    @Polaritie I don't think this needs spoilers, but in this game Classes work a bit different. Instead of a Class granting a character the ability to use a Weapon, any Class can use any Weapon. (With the restrictions that any Mounted or Flying Class can't use Brawling, and only Classes with the special note that they can wield magic can use Reason and Faith.) So a F!Byleth can use Gauntlets, she just can't access the Brawler/Grappler/Warmaster line (which is Proficient in Brawling). And that sucks, yeah. As well, most of the Master Tier Classes are Mounted or Flying, so restricted from using Gauntlets, but that sucks for both genders. (And it turns out that Males don't get access to Gremory, which is another head-scratcher.)

Also worth mentioning: the stat "Skill" from all previous games has been renamed "Dexterity", the "Skills" from previous games have been renamed "Abilities", and "Weapon Proficiency/Rank/Skill" has been expanded and named "Skills". The Weapon icons for Classes note which Weapon Skills you get a boost to experience in - it doesn't restrict you to those Weapons. (And any Authority or Movement icons note if you get experience towards those Skills.)

That's very confusing, so here's an example:
    • Ingrid is Strong in Swords, Lances, Riding, and Flying, with E+, D, D, and D ranks.
    • She starts as a Noble equipped with an Iron Lance. Noble doesn't give any Weapon Skill bonuses, Authority bonus, or Movement Skill bonuses. She engages in combat with an enemy with her Lance. In the experience screen she'll gain 3 exp to Lances - 2 base, plus 1 for her Strength.
    • After level 5 you decide to take the Soldier exam with her, which needs a D in Lances for a 100% pass (which she starts with, so easy). Soldiers are Proficient (+1) in Lances, so now every time you exchange blows with the enemy Ingrid will get 4 exp into Lances. 2 base, 1 for Strength, 1 for Class Proficiency.
    • Now you decide to purchase her a Battalion. This can boost stats (depending on what sort of troops she leads), and give her Gambits to use. Now when you attack an enemy with a Lance, she'll gain 4 exp into Lances, and 2 into Authority (the base).
    • If you give her a Sword to use, she will gain 3 exp into Swords for a combat (2 base, 1 Strength) and 2 Authority (base).
    • If you use a Gambit, you get 4 exp into Authority (the base for Gambits). If she was Strong in Authority, she'd get 6 exp. You don't get Weapon of Movement Skill exp when you use Gambits.
    • After level 10, and having raised her Lances through a D+ into a C, you have her take the Cavalier Exam. That requires a C in Lances and D in Riding for a 100% pass chance. Cavalier is Proficient in Swords (+1), Lances (+2), and Riding (+2).
    • Now you attack an enemy with a Lance as a Cavalier. Ingrid gets 5 exp into Lances, 5 into Riding, and 2 into Authority.
    • Then you attack someone with a Sword. She gets 4 exp into Swords, 5 into Riding, and 2 into Authority.
    • After that, for fun you equip her with a Training Axe. If she attacks someone with it, she'd get 2 into Axes (the base), 5 into Riding, and 2 into Authority.

//

@Terrendos Yes, the Master Tier Classes have higher requirements for a 100% pass. Just looking at the "Bow Classes": Fighter (Beginner Tier) needs a D in Bows, Axes, or Brawling, Archer (Intermediate) needs a C in Bows, Sniper (Advanced) needs an A in Bows, Assassin (Advanced) needs a B in Swords and C in Bows, and Bow Knight (Master) needs C in Lances, A in Bows, and A in Riding.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Is there only Black Eagles footage so far? Just starting to check out the game a bit.

After seeing the post-timeskip designs of the leaders, I'm kinda interested in the Blue Lions.

So far it does seem to be all Black Eagles all the time. I've found one video that focuses on the Golden Deer instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3FX9nYa68

edited July 2019

Yeah, I'm actually planning on making my Byleth a Hero. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Byleth got his own special Master class to promote into, same with the three lords.

I too am hoping that is the case because if so it is the path I'd take.

Also a random thing I read in one of the previews that I did not realize.

They mentioned that regular attacks do not use weapon durability and only the special attacks do.

Is that true? If so it's very interesting!

DemonStacey on
    edited July 2019
    Also a random thing I read in one of the previews that I did not realize.

They mentioned that regular attacks do not use weapon durability and only the special attacks do.

Is that true? If so it's very interesting!

I think they must be mistaken. In this gameplay (of the tutorial map?) it can be seen that Byleth's Iron Sword starts at 40 uses. In the first turn he uses the Combat Art Wrath Strike which requires 3 uses. Over the next two turns he's attacked by Bandits twice. On the the last turn, when he finishes off the boss, his Iron Sword goes into combat with 35 uses. So each of the counterattacks on the Bandits cost 1 durability. It would be very odd if a regular attack didn't.

Maybe that's something that happens with the Hero Relics like Byleth's Sword of the Creator? I could see that being a thing, as traditionally Falchion or other important weapons didn't have durability. But if they wanted you to still be able to use Combat Arts they'd need to include them.

Edit: I went and checked the E3 Treehouse footage. In the Ignatz/Raphael Paralogue that they're doing Byleth's SoC has 20 uses in the first turn when he attacks (and kills) a Brigand. The player then skips seeing the enemy phase, but it appears that Byleth was attacked by a Brawler (going off the aggro lines - there is also an Armour Knight that gets killed, but their aggro line makes it seem like they attacked Ignatz who must have gotten a critical counter hit). Byleth then attacks to finish off the Brawler and we see his SoC is down to 18 uses.

So it looks like Hero Relics also use up durability.

LordSolarMacharius on
    That is probably the case!

I was hoping someone noticed from the previews but didn't want to scour them myself so thanks for offering the proof!

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Sword of the Creator better repair itself a set amount each month or Byleth is just going to be the Iron Sword Lord.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Talith wrote: »
    Sword of the Creator better repair itself a set amount each month or Byleth is just going to be the Iron Sword Lord.

Not exactly, I don't think.

But it has been mentioned that if you use your Sunday to Rest the Sword of the Creator's durability will be partially restored. And your students will become more motivated if you're the kind of teacher who cares about that kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK5doMgxxc0

Deer House Trailer!

Dang Claude is so like-able. Any tiny uncertainty I had is gone. This is the house for me.

Yeah, I like Claude quite a bit. Definitely going Golden Deer for my second playthrough.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So, I wasn't using the Danger Area properly, as I was thinking there was some penalty (despite the game having never said this) for taking too many turns in combat. I went from pretty bad frustration to clearing the "Ricken and Maribelle rescue" on the first "real" try. Kind of wish I hadn't been focused on "push push push" and not lost the guy who forgets his axe, but at least I still have Sully (who kept getting wrecked) and she and Virion can begin their romance. . .

EDIT: And Stahl just beat Virion to the punch. God damnit!

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Hearing Austin Walker on Waypoint Radio talk about his time with Three Houses is not helping with the wait. It sounds like there is some Into the Breach influence with the rewind mechanic and that enemy agro is telegraphed while moving your units.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Dude is convincing me I need to go buy a switch finally

PSN SeGaTai
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's kinda cool that the Male and Female MC actually have different expressions, body motions, builds, reactions, etc. They're animated uniquely in each cutscene too, which means they did each twice.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Hearing Austin Walker on Waypoint Radio talk about his time with Three Houses is not helping with the wait. It sounds like there is some Into the Breach influence with the rewind mechanic and that enemy agro is telegraphed while moving your units.

It's borrowed/modified from Valentia and a really nice addition particularly if you're playing on Classic.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Dude is convincing me I need to go buy a switch finally

I actually bought a Switch last night (Walmart's got a bundle sale online) so I can pick this up. I'm surprisingly hyped about it, certainly more than I anticipated six months ago.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Listening to Austin talk about how the school structure pays out in character development is exciting and exactly what I wanted from this game. I found Awakening to be an interesting turn after having played the GBA fire emblem and path of radiance and enjoying the character interactions and wanting more outside of sporadic in-battle support conversations, but while Awakening gave me more of that, it also didn’t do enough to build a system outside of the story battle / paralogue to house those expanded interactions, and I fell off the game maybe halfway through.

Fates I dropped even quicker, since the pocket dimension base building thing absolutely did not work for me.

Aside from the upgrade in presentation, the thing that best captured my attention about the Switch game at its reveal was the promise of a more measured and granular approach to character development that invested not only in character-specific interactions and beats but also mechanical development and specialization.

I just wanna feel the pride and endorphins flood through my brain when my beloved pupils become unstoppable child soldiers.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I haven't been looking too much into this game because I want it to be as fresh as possible as I play it, but man I really hope there's a character or two like Donnel in Awakening - starts as a weak nothing, becomes a literal one unit army. I have such a soft spot for characters that start super weak and become monsters with the right care.

Got a link to it somewhere? Because I can't seem to find it.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular

Got a link to it somewhere? Because I can't seem to find it.

He works for Vice now.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Weewoo weewoo

Big news!

Fishing and gardening don't cost AP.

THANK GOODNESS.

This has me super happy.

Was one thing that I worry about with timed systems is that they can make mini-games feel bad and feel like the best options are just reloading over and over (Persona!!!!!)

Weewoo weewoo

Big news!

THANK GOODNESS.

This has me super happy.

Was one thing that I worry about with timed systems is that they can make mini-games feel bad and feel like the best options are just reloading over and over (Persona!!!!!)

Yeah, but for fishing, you're still limited by how much bait you've got because you can't fish without bait. Fortunately, you can find bait just lying around on the Monastery grounds.

I guess you could also spend all of your money on buying bait, but I don't think I'd recommend that.

(I don't actually know if you can buy bait, but I assume so.)

Weewoo weewoo

Big news!

THANK GOODNESS.

This has me super happy.

Yeah, but for fishing, you're still limited by how much bait you've got because you can't fish without bait. Fortunately, you can find bait just lying around on the Monastery grounds.

I guess you could also spend all of your money on buying bait, but I don't think I'd recommend that.

(I don't actually know if you can buy bait, but I assume so.)

Oh yea stuff like that is totally fine. It just feels bad when you play some sort of a mini-game and you don't get what you were going for but it still uses a chunk of time so that time is essentially spent on nothing. Having a limited resource spent on nothing feels bad. Having a refillable resource spent on nothing feels fine.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Listening to a few non-spoiler reviews and such makes me certainly excited to play Personwarts Emblem. Seems like a lot of interesting stuff going on mechanically. The possibility of sub-branching DLC is terrifying.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Everything looks so awesome.

My only concern is the difficulty options. But even if they end up being a problem for me that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Although even though people are saying normal is pretty easy I'm hoping that by just not using a few mechanics it may help bring that up a tiny bit to balance out the extra grindy stuff I'd do.

But seriously, what is up with game devs putting weird restrictions on difficulty swapping for single player games? The only thing it does is give a larger audience the chance at enjoying the game even more.

Everything else I've seen though? Hype has gone through the roof.

At this point, I'm so hyped that I'm bound to be disappointed.

Still hyped, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mfB11MeiRk

I just can't wait for the embargo to go down so I can get all the character recruitment info and class info so I can start planning the quickest route to get my team set-up.

I just can't wait for the embargo to go down so I can get all the character recruitment info and class info so I can start planning the quickest route to get my team set-up.

From what I hear from the all previews, it seems like it'll be a while before we get the Min/Max Guide to Poaching All The Students.

edited July 2019

From what I hear from the all previews, it seems like it'll be a while before we get the Min/Max Guide to Poaching All The Students.

There's always the smaller guide building places that also get the review copies playing the games with this express purpose in mind. Just collecting all this data waiting until they can post it and their goal is to get that info out there as quickly possible to get more of that traffic for themselves.

And then when you consider each of them will probably be starting from different spots and focusing on different characters first... I imagine there will be a lot of information out there very quickly.

It will have been a few weeks of multiple websites all playing the game gathering this information and it is information from only the first half of the game.

edit: I guess I should also note I'm not talking about all students or anything like that. I'm just talking about getting 3 students but want to get them as early as possible. Another person playing said that without looking up any information when they finished the first half they were never able to recruit any of the other students so I wanna get planning.

DemonStacey on

Welp, time to invest in a skill I probably won't get much use out of just to recruit one character

This discussion has been closed.