As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catch-all sex scandal thread

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No because they're using it to avoid being called rapists

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Sex addiction can be a real problem. But like any addiction it's not an excuse and it's not a shield and it's downright shameful to invoke it in response to something like this.

Also it's definitely not common enough to be the "root cause" of most of these issues and therefore not really worth talking about much.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Zunde wrote: »
    Is it wrong of me that when these stories pop up and "Sex addiction." Gets thrown around my response is to roll my eyes?

Does that make me a bad person?

no it makes you a person who has correctly spotted the fact that dirtbags often use "sex addiction" as an excuse for their shitty behavior, to turn themselves into an object of pity instead of an object of loathing

you aren't obligated to take their word for it, they are obligated to prove that they are telling the truth

Shorty on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Is it wrong of me that when these stories pop up and "Sex addiction." Gets thrown around my response is to roll my eyes?

Does that make me a bad person?

No, it's pretty cornball to even bring it up in the same instance of an apology for sexual misconduct..
    Even if sex addiction is a thing, it's not going to be an excuse.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I see it and the first thing i think is "This sounds like some sort of skit out of a low quality comedy." Not "Oh hey this is the defense i'll use to hide behind."

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you hit someone with a brick because you're a heroin addict, no one says "oh ok it's fine you had a problem". The same should be true with sex addiction and sexual assault. The solution to sex addiction is not "do a lot of creepy sex at people"

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular

I was just coming in to talk about this.

Here is the original tweet

Don't read most of the replies on both of those, turns out people who identify as "gamers" are still largely trash

• Options
    It's generally advised to not read comments on these things it always brings out the worst people.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It's generally advised to not read comments anywhere on anything ever.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

What does this post say?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

What does this post say?

Don't read it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I just don't read things. it works out well and maybe 6 out of 10 times I can figure it out.

• Options
    What really makes me angry is all these internet assholes coming out of the woodwork to say stuff like "oh, how can we be sure it was actually harassment and wasn't flirting gone wrong" and "I don't think someone's life should be ruined for a mistake they made"

It's not hard to not sexually harass someone, simply being cognizant of your environment and what comes out of your goddamn mouth is good enough for most of the workforce. If you're wondering if you are going to be accused or fearful that you may say something wrong then perhaps it is you who are the piece of shit?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Leon Wieseltier, apparently a big-name political reporter, is also on the pile.
    https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/former-new-republic-editor-admits-offenses-against-women.html

Some conjecture I've seen though I cannot remember where now, considers this guy and Mark Halperin as hugely influential on how modern political reporting is done. In part because of the political reporters that came up under their guidance and the standards they set. Which opens the question of just how fairly would a prominent female political candidate be covered.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Halperin really bummed me out, he's done some great work. But I agree that it's pretty concerning to contemplate the effect his behavior could have had not only on past cycles but future ones too.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Don't read most of the replies on both of those, turns out people who identify as "gamers" are still largely trash

Every time someone asks my hobbies and I say I like to play video games they ask "Oh, you're a gamer" and I can only respond with "please don't call me that."

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Deadline reports that the story of Gal Gadot refusing to sign on for Wonder Woman 2 is false. She is already signed on for the sequel and Brett Ratner's production company isn't involved in the film to begin with as their deal with WB is up with Rampage next year.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I can't even wrap my brain around that.

"It's just harmless flirting she just took it the wrong way."

Hur hur when i was young i could go all night. "How is that flirting! That's gross!"

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

This is why I'm not satisfied with just the people who are publicly accused of this having their careers ended (or, temporarily ended). The people who stood by the people who harass and abuse and threaten, the people who aid those abusers, the people who sweep it under the rug and end careers rather than doing the right thing...they allowed this. Hell, they encouraged it.

You want to talk about lives being ruined? Louis CK could never make another movie or TV show or standup special, and he could still probably retire in relative comfort. Harvey Weinstein is in his 70s, and he's had a nice full life of being an enormous piece of shit. The people they targeted, though? Not only did they have to endure the harassment, they had to endure the knowledge that speaking up could mean the end of their career, if not worse. For many of them, it already marked the end of their careers. Eddie Berganza drove countless women out of the comics industry entirely, partially because of his presence, and partially because after women did come forward, he got fucking promoted.

So no, I'm not satisfied when someone like Eddie Berganza gets fired years later than he should have, because the damage has already been done, and the people who let him do that damage are still there.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Leon Wieseltier, apparently a big-name political reporter, is also on the pile.
    https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/former-new-republic-editor-admits-offenses-against-women.html

Some conjecture I've seen though I cannot remember where now, considers this guy and Mark Halperin as hugely influential on how modern political reporting is done. In part because of the political reporters that came up under their guidance and the standards they set. Which opens the question of just how fairly would a prominent female political candidate be covered.

One point that I've seen made is that one of the biggest voices in the press normalizing Trump's behavior towards women during the election was Halperin. Now we know why.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    https://www.avclub.com/tom-sizemore-was-once-removed-from-a-film-set-for-alleg-1820413259

This is one where I seem to remember there being stories out about him months ago

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in "Dave Becky is a horrible human being" news, he's throwing Louis under the bus to save his own skin/career:
    I profoundly regret and am deeply sorry for not listening to and not understanding what happened to Dana and Julia. If I had, I would have taken this event as seriously as it deserved to be, and I would have confronted Louis, which would have been the right thing to do.

I am providing this context so that others do not make the same mistake I did. At that time, I heard the story third-hand, and I interpreted the conversation as two women telling a story about a sexual encounter with a then-married Louis. Albeit enormously embarrassing, in no way did I interpret the interaction as threatening or non-consensual. I misperceived the casual way the story was portrayed to me — instead I should have recognized that it must have been a mask for their unease and discomfort in the face of his detestable behavior. My intent was to seek discretion to protect what I thought was a matter of infidelity. I now comprehend that my response was perceived as a threat to cover-up sexual misconduct. This is not an excuse. What I did was wrong, and again, I am extremely sorry.

In hindsight, I was operating blindly from a one-sided place of privilege. Until last week, I knew only of this one isolated incident. Although this may sound naïve, it is true. Never once, in all of these years, did anyone mention any of the other incidents that were reported recently — I am appalled to learn of these. I have come to realize my status wielded an atmosphere where such news did not reach me, or worse yet, that it seemed such news did not matter to me. It does. It matters tremendously.

I am going to take time to reflect on this, to educate myself daily, and to strive towards a more enlightened path. I want to ensure that all voices around me are heard, and that everyone is treated respectfully and empathetically. More than anything, I want to create an environment that is a better, safer and fairer place.

Fuck you, Dave. You are part of the problem. As for all the other comedians repped by this goose, take a good look at what he does when his skin is on the line, and ask yourself - when will he turn on me?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Polygon's Phil Kollar has also been accused of violating boundaries and acting in a coercive manner towards women, which he confirmed.

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options

IGN's editorial staff has responded. It's important to note that their management and legal teams have not.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    YaYa wrote: »
    https://www.avclub.com/tom-sizemore-was-once-removed-from-a-film-set-for-alleg-1820413259

This is one where I seem to remember there being stories out about him months ago
    They didn’t see anything, and the girl’s parents said that they didn’t want to take her off of the project or press charges,
    Fuck's sake, parents, a coke fiend tried to finger your 11 year-old daughter why would you send her back to that the fuck is wrong with you?!

Jesus, they should've pressed all the charges until the project was either shitcanned or Sizemore got thrown off the project into the nearest dumpster.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Stage parents can be incredibly fucking awful

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Polygon's Phil Kollar has also been accused of violating boundaries and acting in a coercive manner towards women, which he confirmed.

I can't find this?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I can't find this?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/philip-kollar-polygon-accused-of-taking-advantage-to-get-closer-to-fan.5742/

Googled his name and then set the tools to just stuff from the past week and found that forum thread.

• Options
    How did that Nick Robinson stuff end up playing out? Did it come out that people at Polygon were aware of his behavior or was it not really known beforehand?

If the former then this seems like there may be a larger problem at Polygon

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I can't find this?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/philip-kollar-polygon-accused-of-taking-advantage-to-get-closer-to-fan.5742/

Googled his name and then set the tools to just stuff from the past week and found that forum thread.

here's the thread with the accusations, and here is the start of his response:

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Ya this is a side I've been thinking about , shitty parents were probably on every single one of these predators checklists, to the point I almost wonder if checking the skeeviness/greed of the parents was part of the process.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The thing with Allison Mack that I remember reading is, Kristen Kreuk was actually in the cult before she was, Kristen having joined because of her then-boyfriend. Allison tried to convince her not to stay in the cult, then clearly got sucked into it as well. Kristen eventually left the cult but Allison did not.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

As a stage hand, let me tell you: you have no idea.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I just don't read things. it works out well and maybe 6 out of 10 times I can figure it out.

What?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    How did that Nick Robinson stuff end up playing out? Did it come out that people at Polygon were aware of his behavior or was it not really known beforehand?

If the former then this seems like there may be a larger problem at Polygon

I'd be extremely surprised if no one he actually knew and worked with were aware of it, especially since it was such an 'open secret' for so long before being made public.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    Brand New’s Jesse Lacey. Dunno if he’s been mentioned here yet. I also hope Conor Oberst finally gets some things pinned on him at some point during all this.

I heard about the woman who ended up recanting her allegations, what else is out there about Oberst? I was never a huge fan of his music so I haven't kept up

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    You can add Adam Blampied to the list of minor internet celebrities who torpedoed their careers by being lecherous cretins by the way. He's a former WhatCulture writer and co-founder of Cultaholic.

Mwx884o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.