As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Webcomics are terroristic!

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Some of you may have heard of Matt Boyd. He was one of the guys that did the Mac Hall comics.

Recently he was talking about guns at work.

Then he got fired for that.

Then he got visited by the police, who felt that making that comic was "borderline terroristic".

edit: oh snap, that wasn't the preview button!

So apparently he was talking about guns, since he likes to kill innocent paper targets at a firing range. This made his cow-orkers so scared of him that they reported him to their boss, who felt a need to fire him. But apparently that wasn't bad enough to not give him good references and some unemployment benefits. Then the police felt otherwise.

Echo on

• PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Holy shit

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Red scare all over again?

Savant on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    What?

This is like the Code III threat called on the kid who had a Doom/Quake (can't remember which) map based on his school.

Code III concerns false threats against a school, and real terrorist actions.

So, it can concern fake problems and real problems.

Makes sense.

Me Too! on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Man. You guys need to get out of that country before it's too late!

Echo on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dude, this is perfectly reasonable from a Republican standpoint: you just have the freedom to own guns, not the freedom to talk about them.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2007
    Soooooo happy bein' Canadian right about now

Seriously though, is there anything an American who's been falsely fucked with this sort of thing can do? Can't he go wrongful dismissal? Police harassment? Something? I mean for a country so quick to litigate...

Pheezer on
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Dude, this is perfectly reasonable from a Republican standpoint: you just have the freedom to own guns, not the freedom to talk about them.

Man, they should have put some kind of freedom to talk about guns in the constitution while they were putting the freedom to own them in...

Pheezer on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Do you have a link describing the police response? Or the change in his UI benefits?

Somebody getting fired over talking about a gun at work kind of makes me go 'meh.' You can be fired for anything at any time in most states in the US. (I had an ex-girlfriend who got fired for talking about her anxiety disorder. And they managed to lie believably enough to keep her from getting unemployment.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »

Man, they should have put some kind of freedom to talk about guns in the constitution while they were putting the freedom to own them in...

Funny thing about that, they did! It even came before the one where you can own guns.
    And I don't think this falls in the same category as yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Me Too! on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private property.

Couscous on
    edited May 2007
    Still, isn't there wrongful dismissal in the US?

Pheezer on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is why Matt's life is perfect fodder for a webcomic.

It's like the universe is a big poo flinging monkey, who's every pile has "MATT BOYD" written on it. Poor guy. Hey, fate! At least give the guy a reach-around now and again, wot?

All Ian does is draw and do computer doodles all day.

Tach on
    edited May 2007
    Echo on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eh, the firing may be stupid but the employer was probably well within their rights. There isn't a whole lot of job protections in the US compared to some European nations.

But the police getting involved is just an example of the spiraling idiocy many people and powers have when it comes to free speach.

I'm not completely on the up and up on labor laws, which vary by state too. Someone else with more lawyer skill could probably field that. I would hazard a guess that it wasn't out of bounds given that the employer didn't try to deny unemployment.

Savant on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    If you have the money to present a case of wrongful dismissal, discrimination, or harassment,

it probably wasn't that big a deal to you anyway. Either that, or you can throw a fit big enough to have someone who can foot the bills sign on for you. But, since they can write whatever they want down on the paper, and you have to fight them for it, well.

America!

EDIT: Or you settle out of court if your case is very cut-and-dry favoring you. Whoo!

Oboro on
    words
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

The short answer is no.

The long answer is still no, but with a handful of exceptions. You can't be fired for being a protected class - nationwide, this means you can't be fired for being a particular race, religion, gender, marital status, or for having a disability that does not interfere with your job description. Some states also add sexual orientation into that mix; in New York State apparently you can't be fired for being a smoker. You can't be fired for being a whistleblower, nor can you be fired in retaliatory manner for bringing a legal complaint against your employer. (I'm sure there are some other exceptions that I can't think of right now, and it's often pretty easy for an employer to make a firing look like it was for one thing when it was actually for a different thing entirely.)

Other than that, you may have your job protected via contract if you're a contractor or union agreement if you're in a union, but most white-collar/grey-collar workers are completely at-will.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As far as I know, you can't be fired based on race, sex, or age. Everything else without a law covering it should be fair game. The employer fired him not because he was talking about guns, but because his talk scared other employees.

Couscous on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Isn't kind of stupid for firing someone for fearing they might shoot up the place?

I always joked at my work that if I ever got fired I'd shoot up the place. They all know me so it's fine.

JJ on
    edited May 2007
    See here, if you get fired for no good reason, you file your complaint with the labour board and if you can make your case they'll hold a hearing. There's a fee for the hearing, but if you win you can get it as part of your award. And as much as it is somewhat skewed in favor of the employer, the board won't stand for the firing of a productive, contributing team member without any warning for completely superfluous reasons. I mean, management could have at least tried to address the issue in this case without firing the guy, assuming he's a good employee otherwise.

EDIT:
    I mean, maybe he'd still lose, and maybe it's not a good enough case to win wrongful dismissal, but damn.

Pheezer on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shit, fired for *talking* about guns? The VP of the company I used to work for kept his gun in his fucking desk "just in case".

I never could get him to explain what he meant by that.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hope he told the police to fuck right off.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited May 2007
    See here, if you get fired for no good reason, you file your complaint with the labour board and if you can make your case they'll hold a hearing. There's a fee for the hearing, but if you win you can get it as part of your award. And as much as it is somewhat skewed in favor of the employer, the board won't stand for the firing of a productive, contributing team member without any warning for completely superfluous reasons. I mean, management could have at least tried to address the issue in this case without firing the guy, assuming he's a good employee otherwise.

In the US the law in most states specifically says that an at-will employee can be fired for "any or no reason."

Feral on

edited May 2007
    Yeah, okay, on consideration maybe he could still lose the job just as easily up here, but the police thing adds just a dimension of bizarre to it.

Pheezer on
    edited May 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Isn't kind of stupid for firing someone for fearing they might shoot up the place?

Yes, it is.

Echo on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, okay, on consideration maybe he could still lose the job just as easily up here, but the police thing adds just a dimension of bizarre to it.

Yes, yes it does, and I do hope that he told those police to fuck off until they have a warrant.

Daedalus on
    edited May 2007
    I'm willing to bet that all the cops knew was that some guy was talking about killing people at work and got fired for it, and somebody at the workplace was afraid that he'd come back and shoot the place up. That's enough reason to go to the guy's house and talk to him at the very least. So I'm still curious: did they just come out and talk to him or did they actually take him into custody?

I just want to know some more details before I jump up and down and yell "OMG brown scare!"

By the way, talking about shooting people at work is pretty dumb.

Feral on

• ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    BLARG GENERIC OUTRAGE

And I'm done.

Shinto on
    edited May 2007
    Feral wrote: »

He didn't. He was talking about shooting at a firing range, and what gun to pick to make it "difficult to kill someone". Seems like somoene who cares about safety to me.

Though we all know that it really means he wanted to play on Hard Mode when going on a shooting spree in his office.

Echo on
    edited May 2007
    And with a .22, it's hard to kill someone on purpose with that round. You'd practically have to put it in someone's face and pull the trigger. And even then, fire a few more times just to make sure the job is done.

You can't assume that somebody heard or understood the first part of the conversation where he mentioned that he's buying a .22.

Feral on

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Echo wrote: »

He didn't. He was talking about shooting at a firing range, and what gun to pick to make it "difficult to kill someone". Seems like somoene who cares about safety to me.

Though we all know that it really means he wanted to play on Hard Mode when going on a shooting spree in his office.

Well if he finishes within 2 minutes, 30 seconds, he gets god mode.

Fencingsax on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is "terroristic" even a word?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    If you have the money to present a case of wrongful dismissal, discrimination, or harassment, it probably wasn't that big a deal to you anyway.

Either that, or you can throw a fit big enough to have someone who can foot the bills sign on for you.
    NRA?
    Is "terroristic" even a word?
    I highly doubt it.

EDIT: No, apparently some people dignify the word with its use. Simply "terrorist" would work fine in the context.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Well if he finishes within 2 minutes, 30 seconds, he gets god mode.

And if he gets five in a row, he gets a M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILLLLL

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    You're all exhibiting terrorist-supporting-like behavior.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Onnnnlyyy in Americaaaa... :whistle:

ege02 on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bwa ha

Only if you have a government job, in which case, yes, it works much like other countries.

What's the unemployment rate there?

As for this guy, what exactly did he say?

Yar on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Unemployment in Canada averages about 6.5% (According to this data, which is from 2005). Highest in Newfoundland And Labrador at 15% and lowest in Alberta at 4%.

EDIT - As an aside, Unemployment in Calgary, where I live, is at 3.1%, which is pretty freaking low. The only people not working in Calgary are those that can't or simply don't want to.

Nova_C on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow. You can just get fired? And then your employer can DENY you unemployment?
    Deny?
    Just.
    Wow.

<3 Australia.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The thing that seems stupidest is that firing someone because another person "was made to feel unsafe" is something that's largely out of your control. Getting fired for making actual threats is one thing, but getting fired because someone else is an overly sensitive ninny is just retarded.

Senjutsu on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Senjutsu scares me with his aggressive grammatical structures so I think he should be fired because I might possibly work at his company one day.

I really feel quite sorry for Boyd.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.