Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 5E] Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

1353638404199

Posts

  • KadokenKadoken I'm an adult Registered User regular
    edited March 14
    This is the opposite intention you had for your players, but now I kind of want to have A Better Tomorrow sequence of raiding a sauna full of criminals or something.

    Edit: That was not a sauna

    Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    @nightmarenny try asking your question about pregen dungeons in here, might find more help

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    We started Curse of Strahd last night. Is it bad if my bard wants to join the Vistani? No don't tell me, it'll be more fun when it blows up in his face.

    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to make Modrons playable in 5th edition?

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    We started Curse of Strahd last night. Is it bad if my bard wants to join the Vistani? No don't tell me, it'll be more fun when it blows up in his face.

    There is never a time when running off to join the !Gypsies is the wrong move.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Update: Rules were sent out, discussion ensued, attempts were made to change some of the rules, which I rebutted seeing as where it came from, and we had a session this past weekend and it was fantastic!

    The guy who left "just stopped by" to say hi but I am sure he was coming over to see how it was all working out. I have good feelings he might come back.

    In the middle of the session, one of the group stopped play for a break and then asked me and the table how the rules were working out. I deferred to the group and the 'guy' said "well, I have usually gotten yelled at twice by now so I think it's going good". Others chimed in with their appreciation for the standards and expectations.

    Very happy with the turnout.

    Also, if you find your players aren't being especially challenged, read up on a thing called Tucker's Kobold's.

    Chanus wrote: »

    Your wang is a better man than you.
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    If your players aren't being challenged, add four mooks with ranged attacks to every encounter. Have them start slinging arrows at people holding concentration spells, and shit gets a lot harder.

    Did I mention my cleric and wizard hate me?

    Carnarvon on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    There was an old school monster that they used to have in D&D, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but it was basically a cloud that ate magical energy; players that were hit by it would take some modest damage and also lose prepared spells.

    I've been considering updating it for personal use since 5th has a plethora of magic classes and it would very quickly make players covet a pair of brown pants.

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 16
    Gaddez wrote: »
    There was an old school monster that they used to have in D&D, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but it was basically a cloud that ate magical energy; players that were hit by it would take some modest damage and also lose prepared spells.

    I've been considering updating it for personal use since 5th has a plethora of magic classes and it would very quickly make players covet a pair of brown pants.

    Nishruu, perhaps?

    Or maybe it's FR counterpart, the Hakeashar?

    TiamatZ on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    add rust monsters to the list.
    cute little buggers that really really like your armor for some reason oh gods it's eating my armor

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Hey D&D dudes. I need some help.

    Way back at the beginning of the 5e era, I converted my home campaign over from 4e. At the time, because there weren't a lot of good character sheets available, I created my own that looked like this. They've served me well, but were built in OpenOffice and were a bit fiddly on the formatting side.

    Unfortunately, my laptop containing my files took a dump, and now the source file is possibly unusable. I want to switch over to a good, form-fillable file that doesn't look like complete ass. Any recommendations? PDF is fine if it can be saved somehow, or I'm open to other file formats. I'd just prefer it not look like someone built it in Excel. I'd also prefer that the majority of the sheet have blank text fields; as you can see from my sheet, I put a lot of the relevant game text on the sheet for my players.

    It also doesn't need to do any rules verification. I do that on my own, because my home game has one character that's not RAW.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Ooooo, time to start talking up MPMBs sheet. I'm currently on mobile so it's hard to link but look up the Reddit page for instructions.

    I dunno, I take you seriously on some topics and dick rider is your profession
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    If someone has a decent encounter tracker sheet, I'd love to take a look at it. I've done a bit of googling and found some apps. All I really need is something I can print and write on.

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If someone has a decent encounter tracker sheet, I'd love to take a look at it. I've done a bit of googling and found some apps. All I really need is something I can print and write on.

    http://critgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/5th-Ed-Encounter-Sheet-v5.png

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If someone has a decent encounter tracker sheet, I'd love to take a look at it. I've done a bit of googling and found some apps. All I really need is something I can print and write on.

    http://critgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/5th-Ed-Encounter-Sheet-v5.png
    This is rad as hell; I wanna print out a couple and laminate 'em. Thanks for posting!

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If someone has a decent encounter tracker sheet, I'd love to take a look at it. I've done a bit of googling and found some apps. All I really need is something I can print and write on.

    http://critgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/5th-Ed-Encounter-Sheet-v5.png

    That'll do!

  • ZonugalZonugal The Divorce Force Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there a way to make Modrons playable in 5th edition?

    You could probably just modify the Warforged stats WotC put out via Unearthed Arcana.

    Ross_Geller_Prime_Sig_A.jpg
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If someone has a decent encounter tracker sheet, I'd love to take a look at it. I've done a bit of googling and found some apps. All I really need is something I can print and write on.

    http://critgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/5th-Ed-Encounter-Sheet-v5.png
    This is rad as hell; I wanna print out a couple and laminate 'em. Thanks for posting!

    even better if you have monsters you know will be repeated.

    Like I use nothics...a lot

    So I had sheets that had nothics, guards, and brigands permanently stated out then I would just reuse the hp boxes and initiative column.

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Hey D&D dudes. I need some help.

    Way back at the beginning of the 5e era, I converted my home campaign over from 4e. At the time, because there weren't a lot of good character sheets available, I created my own that looked like this. They've served me well, but were built in OpenOffice and were a bit fiddly on the formatting side.

    Unfortunately, my laptop containing my files took a dump, and now the source file is possibly unusable. I want to switch over to a good, form-fillable file that doesn't look like complete ass. Any recommendations? PDF is fine if it can be saved somehow, or I'm open to other file formats. I'd just prefer it not look like someone built it in Excel. I'd also prefer that the majority of the sheet have blank text fields; as you can see from my sheet, I put a lot of the relevant game text on the sheet for my players.

    It also doesn't need to do any rules verification. I do that on my own, because my home game has one character that's not RAW.

    These are good @Nips https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/838fr3/class_character_sheet_bundle_big_update/

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I was bored at work yesterday (as always) and spent some time trying to figure out the generation length difference between humans, dwarves, and elves, as well as the world building implications.

    I'm sure I made a lot of errors in my analysis seeing as I've never botherd with this kind of thing before, but I don't see any way the longer lived races (assuming they reach sexual maturity later than humans and other shorter-lived races) would be able to keep up in terms of population growth. If a new generation of humans is born in a lineage every 20 or 30 years while an elven couple doesn't have their first child until they've passed the century mark (don't forget elves do not become adults until long after a human child has) then by the time an elf child has been born a small village-worth of human relatives will have sprang into existence. Further, a half-elf born into a human family alongside human siblings probably won't be having a child until their human siblings have reached eighty, and will raise their children alongside their siblings great-great-grandchildren.

    The discrepancy is enough that I could imagine elves would view humans as pests and wage war upon a young human settlement to prevent an overwhelming infestation. If the elves liken themselves to the trees of the forest, they would also probably consider humans to be like grass; short and insignificant, but part of a sea of blades that blanket whatever patch of land they are given a chance to take root in. Alternatively, coldly practival elves could purposefully try to assimilate human populations by intermingling with them and yielding half-elf populations with more manageable population growth rates.

    Maybe this has already happened in the distant past in my setting. The only remaining wood elf populations are either very isolated or have returned to the Feywild, while the forests of the natural world have been claimed by half-elf communities. I doubt drow would be affected given their preferred environment in the Underdark.

    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I was bored at work yesterday (as always) and spent some time trying to figure out the generation length difference between humans, dwarves, and elves, as well as the world building implications.

    I'm sure I made a lot of errors in my analysis seeing as I've never botherd with this kind of thing before, but I don't see any way the longer lived races (assuming they reach sexual maturity later than humans and other shorter-lived races) would be able to keep up in terms of population growth. If a new generation of humans is born in a lineage every 20 or 30 years while an elven couple doesn't have their first child until they've passed the century mark (don't forget elves do not become adults until long after a human child has) then by the time an elf child has been born a small village-worth of human relatives will have sprang into existence. Further, a half-elf born into a human family alongside human siblings probably won't be having a child until their human siblings have reached eighty, and will raise their children alongside their siblings great-great-grandchildren.

    The discrepancy is enough that I could imagine elves would view humans as pests and wage war upon a young human settlement to prevent an overwhelming infestation. If the elves liken themselves to the trees of the forest, they would also probably consider humans to be like grass; short and insignificant, but part of a sea of blades that blanket whatever patch of land they are given a chance to take root in. Alternatively, coldly practival elves could purposefully try to assimilate human populations by intermingling with them and yielding half-elf populations with more manageable population growth rates.

    Maybe this has already happened in the distant past in my setting. The only remaining wood elf populations are either very isolated or have returned to the Feywild, while the forests of the natural world have been claimed by half-elf communities. I doubt drow would be affected given their preferred environment in the Underdark.

    I always figured that Humans tended to dick around with dangerous magic, professions, dungeons and other population control measures without proper preparation or care that kept the numbers somewhat in check when compared with the elves who don't mind taking a decade to make sure they've got their eldritch horror summoning rune circles perfectly attuned.

    Alternatively: humans taste delicious, and dragons and other natural super predators of the settings keep the numbers in balance with the other longer lived races who either don't taste as good or are smart enough to avoid said super predators. When a human population is relocated to another environment without those natural predators, it explodes like cane toads or rabbits in Australia.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    The answer probably has something to do with people having a very short lifespan under medieval style living conditions. No access to medicine of essentially any kind means a fairly low life expectancy. Winters and sickness are both harsh when the peak of your technology is metal farming implements and river-driven mills. A crop blight could easily signal the death of the vast majority of your village, and DEFINITELY anyone who was relying on those crops directly.

    If we can assume Elves have lived long enough to have that shit on lock, plus enough magic to mostly heal themselves when they get sick, it saves them a lot of dying.

  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    Rend wrote: »
    The answer probably has something to do with people having a very short lifespan under medieval style living conditions. No access to medicine of essentially any kind means a fairly low life expectancy. Winters and sickness are both harsh when the peak of your technology is metal farming implements and river-driven mills. A crop blight could easily signal the death of the vast majority of your village, and DEFINITELY anyone who was relying on those crops directly.

    If we can assume Elves have lived long enough to have that shit on lock, plus enough magic to mostly heal themselves when they get sick, it saves them a lot of dying.

    I feel like the average D&D setting (at least since 3E) presumes living conditions superior to those of the Middle Ages. Gender roles seem more egalitarian, literacy is common (to the point that barbarian illiteracy was once a unique class feature), and magic serves to better lives in a way similar to technology (at the very least there might be a druid to help with the crops and a cleric to cure disease).

    Hexmage-PA on
    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    The answer probably has something to do with people having a very short lifespan under medieval style living conditions. No access to medicine of essentially any kind means a fairly low life expectancy. Winters and sickness are both harsh when the peak of your technology is metal farming implements and river-driven mills. A crop blight could easily signal the death of the vast majority of your village, and DEFINITELY anyone who was relying on those crops directly.

    If we can assume Elves have lived long enough to have that shit on lock, plus enough magic to mostly heal themselves when they get sick, it saves them a lot of dying.

    I feel like the average D&D setting (at least since 3E) presumes living conditions superior to those of the Middle Ages. Gender roles seem more egalitarian, literacy is common (to the point that barbarian illiteracy was once a unique class feature), and magic serves to better lives in a way similar to technology (at the very least there might be a druid to help with the crops and a cleric to cure disease).

    That's true, but if you need an off screen reason for humans not to have overpopulated the planet, "winter is harsh, for other people of course" is about as fine a reason as you can get

  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I just figure elves don't often bone. Like when you live to 750 years old you don't want to keep reproducing the way humans do.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I just figure elves don't often bone. Like when you live to 750 years old you don't want to keep reproducing the way humans do.

    I'd bone so much if I were a beautiful elf with perfect skin and silken hair.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • KadokenKadoken I'm an adult Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    The cleric of the party recently gained the ability to produce food and water whenever. Why would agriculture ever need to be a thing in that case?

    Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    The cleric of the party recently gained the ability to produce food and water whenever. Why would agriculture ever need to be a thing in that case?

    Presumably the player characters are rarities in the setting, unusually strong, powerful and blessed by their gods above the rank and file peasantry who have to do the whole farming thing if they want to eat when Cleric Bob down at Bahamut's Stay And Pray (Kneel and Heal services every Sunday at 10 and 2) has to set a broken bone and scare away a vampire so he's out of spell slots to ask for manna from heaven today.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Because adventurers are supposedly a rare breed and there are not enough of them willing to sit around and feed a village. There are only so many druids that could/would go from farm to farm boosting their crops, etc. In a typical fantasy world there's just too many people around for one magic dude to reliably service.

    Not that it couldn't be done in world. Eberron as a setting had these massive guilds (The Dragonmarked houses) built around their members being able to reliably cast run-of-the-mill first level spells in order to help the populace maintain a high quality living. Selling those services made them nearly indespensible to society as a whole.

  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    There is a walled village in FR (Goldenfields) where druids grow half the produce the Sword Coast consumes.

    steam_sig.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Even the PHB itself says most priests are not clerics, and that only a precious few feel the presence of their god's will so strongly as to take up Clericing. That said, I expect that non-Cleric priests and acolytes would know healing magic. It would just be stuff like fever soothing, bone mending. Not as fast-acting or as potent as PC magic, but good enough to handle most of the usual ailments a typical person is likely to suffer. And when it isn't, they just call up one of those crazy adventurers and offer them 100gp for the Eelroot from the Felbat Cave where the Goblin Chief reigns.

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @Hexmage-PA At least according to all the races in the books... Every long lived race reaches physical maturity at about the same rate as humans do. They just aren't considered adults by society until a later time.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    A meaningful number of clerics/druids spending time making food-or say wizards conjuring metals- would absolutely fuck the common people.

    You're Jebidiah Plowshare your family has been working the land for generations, and you manage to have a reasonable life because of your successful wheat farming. One day day a Oath of Bounty druid comes through town and blesses everyone's fields. That harvest you get 3 times as much wheat. Except so do all your neighbors, and all the farmers in all the nearby hamlets. Hell apparently the Oath Of Bounty druids must of started a whole new coven in your region, because everyone in 100 leagues is having harvests way beyond record levels.

    So when you go to market and try to sell your wheat, so that you can buy clothes and pay the blacksmith to reshoe your horses, purchase fire wood from the woodcuter for winter, etc At first the merchants are only giving you 1/5 of the old price, by the time you harvest your last fields, they won't buy wheat at all. They can't sell it. Everyone kingdom wide is up to their eyeballs in it all ready. The royal granieries are full there is no place to even store food stuffs anymore.

    So desperate for money so your family doesn't freeze, you go off to the city to find work. But you aren't the only person who had this idea, and worse, the dwarf priests of Smeltius the ore god, have apparently done the same types of blessing for the mines. So the city is already awash with unemployed miners looking for work, who resent the newcomers making their situation even more desperate. Every boarding house is packed, pretty soon a massive shanty city is built up around the old city. With different sections for the miners from up in the mountains and the farmers from down south. You know what also gets super cheap when grain prices plummet? Alcohol. So the shanty city all but floats on a sea of cheap hooch. And there are pretty regular dust ups between the farmers and the miners. The city guard wasn't prepared to handle such a huge influx of people, and the mess of the shanty city is nearly impossible to patrol. Its nothing but alleys and dead ends and short cuts between shacks.

    And all these new workers depress wages for the city workers who were doing just fine a year ago. So they hate both the farmers and the miners. Until one night someone says something to someone, probably both drunk and maybe a few punches are thrown, and someone grabs a chairleg/club, and next thing you know someone is dead from a cracked head. And it's bad enough that these filthy beggars come here, and take our jobs, and are always drunk, and always fighting and disturbing the peace but now they are killing good people too. So a bunch of the boys who used to work at the tannery with the deceased, go down to the pub he was killed at and start busting up the place and beating people up and that bar fight turns into a street brawl, which turns into a riot, and the next thing you know, someone lights something on fire, and soon the entire city is engulfed in flames.

    And in the span of a couple of days 10,000 people are dead, 85% the great city of Loncago is burned to the ground, and guess what it is still winter, and now there is no shelter left.

    Druids are the fucking worst.

    tinwhiskers on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Because adventurers are supposedly a rare breed and there are not enough of them willing to sit around and feed a village. There are only so many druids that could/would go from farm to farm boosting their crops, etc. In a typical fantasy world there's just too many people around for one magic dude to reliably service.

    Not that it couldn't be done in world. Eberron as a setting had these massive guilds (The Dragonmarked houses) built around their members being able to reliably cast run-of-the-mill first level spells in order to help the populace maintain a high quality living. Selling those services made them nearly indespensible to society as a whole.

    You say that about druids, but there's a god in Forgotten Realms who is 100% about agriculture, Chauntea. Clerics and druids worship her, and they go about helping farmlands flourish.

    Edit for the above post:

    Which is why her worshipers encourage a variety of crops rather than just one.

    Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • KadokenKadoken I'm an adult Registered User regular
    This is entirely the people in power and with power’s fault. The end of scarcity is only a problem to greedy misers.
    vz99mv74m4vp.jpeg

    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    Arthil wrote: »
    @Hexmage-PA At least according to all the races in the books... Every long lived race reaches physical maturity at about the same rate as humans do. They just aren't considered adults by society until a later time.

    Which ain't right, IMO. Elves should be children until they're, like, 20. And not being able to biologically procreate until they're in their 50's or something. If you are from an arguably hedonistic race, and young, and hot, and physically mature and able to leave your parents basements for weeks at a time... How are you NOT hooking up wherever you go and having babies? Is Elf contraception that good?
    Arthil wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Because adventurers are supposedly a rare breed and there are not enough of them willing to sit around and feed a village. There are only so many druids that could/would go from farm to farm boosting their crops, etc. In a typical fantasy world there's just too many people around for one magic dude to reliably service.

    Not that it couldn't be done in world. Eberron as a setting had these massive guilds (The Dragonmarked houses) built around their members being able to reliably cast run-of-the-mill first level spells in order to help the populace maintain a high quality living. Selling those services made them nearly indespensible to society as a whole.

    You say that about druids, but there's a god in Forgotten Realms who is 100% about agriculture, Chauntea. Clerics and druids worship her, and they go about helping farmlands flourish.

    Edit for the above post:

    Which is why her worshipers encourage a variety of crops rather than just one.

    Sure. But how many? 100s of them with 9th level spells? Or handfuls of them with Druidcraft? I would say that anything more than The latter would lead to the Armageddon that timwhiskers talked about. :)

    Steelhawk on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    A meaningful number of clerics/druids spending time making food-or say wizards conjuring metals- would absolutely fuck the common people.

    You're Jebidiah Plowshare your family has been working the land for generations, and you manage to have a reasonable life because of your successful wheat farming. One day day a Oath of Bounty druid comes through town and blesses everyone's fields. That harvest you get 3 times as much wheat. Except so do all your neighbors, and all the farmers in all the nearby hamlets. Hell apparently the Oath Of Bounty druids must of started a whole new coven in your region, because everyone in 100 leagues is having harvests way beyond record levels.

    So when you go to market and try to sell your wheat, so that you can buy clothes and pay the blacksmith to reshoe your horses, purchase fire wood from the woodcuter for winter, etc At first the merchants are only giving you 1/5 of the old price, by the time you harvest your last fields, they won't buy wheat at all. They can't sell it. Everyone kingdom wide is up to their eyeballs in it all ready. The royal granieries are full there is no place to even store food stuffs anymore.

    So desperate for money so your family doesn't freeze, you go off to the city to find work. But you aren't the only person who had this idea, and worse, the dwarf priests of Smeltius the ore god, have apparently done the same types of blessing for the mines. So the city is already awash with unemployed miners looking for work, who resent the newcomers making their situation even more desperate. Every boarding house is packed, pretty soon a massive shanty city is built up around the old city. With different sections for the miners from up in the mountains and the farmers from down south. You know what also gets super cheap when grain prices plummet? Alcohol. So the shanty city all but floats on a sea of cheap hooch. And there are pretty regular dust ups between the farmers and the miners. The city guard wasn't prepared to handle such a huge influx of people, and the mess of the shanty city is nearly impossible to patrol. Its nothing but alleys and dead ends and short cuts between shacks.

    And all these new workers depress wages for the city workers who were doing just fine a year ago. So they hate both the farmers and the miners. Until one night someone says something to someone, probably both drunk and maybe a few punches are thrown, and someone grabs a chairleg/club, and next thing you know someone is dead from a cracked head. And it's bad enough that these filthy beggars come here, and take our jobs, and are always drunk, and always fighting and disturbing the peace but now they are killing good people too. So a bunch of the boys who used to work at the tannery with the deceased, go down to the pub he was killed at and start busting up the place and beating people up and that bar fight turns into a street brawl, which turns into a riot, and the next thing you know, someone lights something on fire, and soon the entire city is engulfed in flames.

    And in the span of a couple of days 10,000 people are dead, 85% the great city of Loncago is burned to the ground, and guess what it is still winter, and now there is no shelter left.

    Druids are the fucking worst.

    Unless society adapted and evolved around casters being there, i.e. you simply have less labourers than your non-magic middle agey world.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Unless society adapted and evolved around casters being there, i.e. you simply have less labourers than your non-magic middle agey world.

    Pretty much any unplanned change across the boundary from "magic undergirds our infrastructure" to "the labor of common mooks undergirds our infrastructure" - up or down - is going to play out like tinwhiskers' tale of woe, though. It leads to interesting questions and hooks - what if those Oath of Bounty druids are lighting up the countryside with a harvest they know will bring chaos to the region because the local manor lord refused to pay their ransom / refused to give up necromancy in the quest to be reunited with her tragically slain spouse / disrespected a Hierophant / whatever other thing? On the other side of the coin, what if the local druid circle has been supporting an otherwise-untenable population in the valley for years? That's a big piece of key infrastructure that could be threatened or even outright destroyed by a motivated foe with the means to dispel magic at scale.

    Lots of fun ideas to keep an adventuring party on the hop. I like it.

    _
    iOS: hlprmnky | PSN: hlprmnky_2 | SC2: Callow.126
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The largest changes to life expectancy are actually childbirth being massively safer nowadays and child mortality being a lot lower as well.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.