As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I dunno

The Tau have some fucking sick heavy armor now

KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour

IronKnuckle's Ghost
    I'd post an image but jesus christ the thing is massive

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    But why stop at just one when you can get three for only a bit under a thousand bucks?
    snm2zwlg1wts.jpg

In other, completely unrelated, questions: anyone have a thousand bucks I can borrow?

TonkkaIronKnuckle's GhostKarlGnome-InterruptusNyysjanironsizidesarukunLord_Asmodeus
    I mean, you'd just put those 3 models on the board and let the other player forfeit?

or it is like a "you call that a knife"? situation and the other player puts their warlord titan down

or it is like a "you call that a knife"? situation and the other player puts their warlord titan down

I'd assume the other player would put a roughly equivalent handful of knights (or other super heavy equivalents) on the table, we'd pause for a moment to question what we were doing with our lives that made spending several thousand dollars on tiny giant robots seem like a good idea at the time, then go get a drink.

Of course, if they wanted to escalate, that'd be cool to see too.

valhalla130Gnome-InterruptusRhesus PositiveTonkka
    Casual 3 grand

Why not

Casual 3 grand

Why not

To be fair though, that's pounds.
    It's $4,250 US.

DouglasDangerGnome-Interruptus
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    But why stop at just one when you can get three for only a bit under a thousand bucks?
    snm2zwlg1wts.jpg

In other, completely unrelated, questions: anyone have a thousand bucks I can borrow?

Thinking back to how easily those ankles would snap on the regular suits, I'm just imagining those faceplanting every time you put them on the board.

Grog wrote: »
    snm2zwlg1wts.jpg

Thinking back to how easily those ankles would snap on the regular suits, I'm just imagining those faceplanting every time you put them on the board.

Could be, but these ankles look a bit sturdier then the ones on the regular suits, though I'm not sure how much the resin weighs or how much strain there'd be on the ankles when scaled up to this size.
    5fz1mfnzbm4j.jpg
    Though, I have to imagine there'd be plenty of space for reinforcing pins if necessary.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    If I've got my reading right, I think the T'au recently accidentally collided with the Death Guard and got stomped pretty severely.

I'd like to read stories of such stompings.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Fuselage
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I'd assume the other player would put a roughly equivalent handful of knights (or other super heavy equivalents) on the table, we'd pause for a moment to question what we were doing with our lives that made spending several thousand dollars on tiny giant robots seem like a good idea at the time, then go get a drink.

I assumed that at this tier of play, you forego the minis as a waste of time, and all players just deploy stacks of $100 bills (or equivalent in preferred currency).

Ever see a 20-stack of $100 bills with a nice scenic base, maybe some cracked rock with lava, with the lava glow painted onto everything? Looks real nice.

Gnome-InterruptusZibblsnrtfurlionDescendant X
    Delduwath wrote: »

I assumed that at this tier of play, you forego the minis as a waste of time, and all players just deploy stacks of $100 bills (or equivalent in preferred currency).

Ever see a 20-stack of $100 bills with a nice scenic base, maybe some cracked rock with lava, with the lava glow painted onto everything? Looks real nice.

There is a certain amount of joy in deploying a heavy detachment of gold ingots backed up by silver bars.

Delduwath
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    You need those silver bars, really - the gold ingots can't capture objectives.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

There is a certain amount of joy in deploying a heavy detachment of gold ingots backed up by silver bars.

That was basically my joke about Warhammer
    I knew of only one person that played Warhammer the entire time I played 40k one {he was also really into blood bowl}
    This cadre of friends played Warhammer but I did not know them and only saw them rarely
    I really felt Warhammer was a personal loan type of army as you needed to really shell out for it
    byqyzphu690t.png
    I have this army I got as a gift from someone long ago it was basically unplayable as you needed more basic troops just to field it

Warhammer really was my paint and model army I saw no point in trying to find a group to play it since most of the 40k were filled with silly geese {so bad it was that the shop I played at last had a anti ass league created and enforced by two people as they felt if you were a jerk there was no point in playing you until you changed your ways}

I knew the ins and outs of 40k as it was what dragged me into the hobby but I was always in awe of Warhammer to have that army and be limited with movement trays and rank and file formations with building it as a theme

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    God damn I love Blood Bowl.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Dee KaeSkwigelf
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I got a £50 voucher for Christmas so I wanna buy one model to learn to paint. Need to buy all the basic kit such as brushes and glue etc but I can't decide if I want a 40k model or Age of Sigmar.

SharpyVII wrote: »
    I got a £50 voucher for Christmas so I wanna buy one model to learn to paint. Need to buy all the basic kit such as brushes and glue etc but I can't decide if I want a 40k model or Age of Sigmar.

Are you planning on picking up one of the "Getting Started with X" magazines?
    I picked up the Age of Sigmar one because the storm forged dude looked cooler than the space marine. Has some pretty nice starter tutorials for painting, as well as some nice fluffy bits as to what's going on in the setting. If you're looking to start with a single mini, 8 bucks is probably the way to go to start with.

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »

I couldn't understand how to play that video game at all until I read the online manual.

It was the ABSOLUTE-MOST-BESTEST-PIZZA of football games.

Tonkka
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »

I couldn't understand how to play that video game at all until I read the online manual.

It was the ABSOLUTE-MOST-BESTEST-PIZZA of football games.

The board game version is absolutely several million times better.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    tzeentchling
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    So apparently there was another Sabbat Worlds Crusade anthology released by Black Library which contain a few short stories by Dan Abnett that were must reads before going into The Warmaster.

Unfortunately I read The Warmaster first and some parts just completely lost me. Now I've gotten the anthology and read those stories, I'm going to give Warmaster another read and everything should make more sense(it was still a great book even with the confusing bits).

So just a warning to people reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Before you read The Warmaster, get the Sabbat Crusade anthology and the separate short story Killbox(havent read this yet. Still reading the other anthology stories).

Dracomicron
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    So apparently there was another Sabbat Worlds Crusade anthology released by Black Library which contain a few short stories by Dan Abnett that were must reads before going into The Warmaster.

Unfortunately I read The Warmaster first and some parts just completely lost me. Now I've gotten the anthology and read those stories, I'm going to give Warmaster another read and everything should make more sense(it was still a great book even with the confusing bits).

So just a warning to people reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Before you read The Warmaster, get the Sabbat Crusade anthology and the separate short story Killbox(havent read this yet. Still reading the other anthology stories).

I was wondering where the hell I missed the super important mission they kept referencing.

SharpyVII wrote: »

Are you planning on picking up one of the "Getting Started with X" magazines?
    I picked up the Age of Sigmar one because the storm forged dude looked cooler than the space marine. Has some pretty nice starter tutorials for painting, as well as some nice fluffy bits as to what's going on in the setting. If you're looking to start with a single mini, 8 bucks is probably the way to go to start with.

I've not seen those, quite tempting. Something like a Stormcast Eternal would be good as it's bold easy colours.

Also, in Age of Sigmar news, Daughters of Khaine!

https://youtu.be/hIR2Y3zWnEA

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    oh hello

c393v3x6gge3.jpg

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    is that cain?

PiptheFair on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Gregor Eisenhorn.

356?cb=20100607045219

Though it kind of looks like he has hair, so... young Gregor Eisenhorn?

LordSolarMacharius on
    BrainleechCorporateLogoTonkkaLord_Asmodeus
    Gregor Eisenhorn.

Though it kind of looks like he has hair, so young Gregor Eisenhorn?

Young Eisenhorn and Old Eisenhorn would be drastically different characters. Early Eisenhorn is a fairly stock Inquisitor, but circa his latest book is basically a
    Chaos sorcerer

LordSolarMacharius
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I had no idea that Abnett had written more Eisenhorn! The Eisenhorn trilogy was my favourite thing that the Black Library put out. (Just getting back into GW's nonsense after a decade away.)

*Checks Amazon* Is it just The Magos? Are there any other books I should be reading first?

LordSolarMacharius on
    Brainleech
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

I was wondering where the hell I missed the super important mission they kept referencing.

It was a whole book called Salvation's Reach.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The Founding, The Saint, The Lost (all collections of multiple books with the shorts sprinkled in, mainly in The Founding), then Blood Pact, Salvation's Reach and The Warmaster. Throw in Double Eagle between The Saint and The Lost. I think that's all of them.

Weaver wrote: »

It was a whole book called Salvation's Reach.

Nah, I read Salvation's Reach. There was a short story about Gol Kolea and some Chaos artifacts that happened between then and now, and was a significant plot point in The Warmaster.
    I had no idea that Abnett had written more Eisenhorn! The Eisenhorn trilogy was my favourite thing that the Black Library put out. (Just getting back into GW's nonsense after a decade away.)

*Checks Amazon* Is it just The Magos? Are there any other books I should be reading first?

You want the full Eisenhorn, you read his trilogy, then the Ravenor trilogy (direct spinoff), then Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn: Pariah. There's probably a short story or two stuck in there somewhere, as well.

Skwigelf
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I am just going to buy a new Kindle and then all the black Library books I want to read soon

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Gregor Eisenhorn.

Though it kind of looks like he has hair, so young Gregor Eisenhorn?

Young Eisenhorn and Old Eisenhorn would be drastically different characters. Early Eisenhorn is a fairly stock Inquisitor, but circa his latest book is basically a
    Chaos sorcerer
    Yeah, but, like, a good one.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really I am just going to buy a new Kindle and then all the black Library books I want to read soon

It's definitely nice having all the Gaunt's Ghosts and Horus Heresy books in one hand-held place.

edited February 2018
    Picking up my online order tomorrow so I'm officially back in to Warhammer.

I've got one of those getting started magazines that come with a model that @see317 recommended.

My local store is at Warhammer World in Nottingham so I rang them to check it's there.

I can't remember all the options on the phone but the last one was "press 3 to speak to the knight quaestors on the frontline at the Warhammer World store, may Sigmar bless you!"

SharpyVII on
    TonkkaGnome-Interruptus
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Squats are back, baby

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Rhesus Positive
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Well, at least one Squat.
    https://youtu.be/Oc0-8BBkkq4

Also speaking of Eisenhorn, he's getting a miniature
    EisenhornModel-Jan29-Image1lw.jpg

Tonkka
    Went to Warhammer World in Nottingham to collect my order at lunchtime today.

They've refurbished it since I last went and it looks great.

Also it was packed. The shop, gaming hall and bar were full on a Friday lunchtime. The new store is really well laid out.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Can we all agree that Trazyn the Infinite is probably one of the best Necron characters in the lore?
    Dear Lady, let me express my fulsome appreciation for your most generous gift. It is so very rare to discover another of my own kind that appreciates my work, therefore to find understanding amongst a member of another race is nothing short of a revelation. I realise that you briefly trod my galleries, but the fact that you spotted in so short a time that my Acabrius War collection was lacking three regiments of Catachan warriors reveals that you truly have a collector's eye for detail. And to send five regiments! Such generosity will allow me to weed out and replace a few of the more substandard pieces in my collection. If I might level a minor criticism, the instructions issued to your gift were manifestly not as clear as you thought, as most of them had to be forcibly restrained. Sadly it seems that the lower orders will always behave like an army of invasion, whether that be their purpose or not. However, this is a minor complaint and seems almost churlish under the circumstances, so please allow me to repay your gift with one of my own. Accompanying this message is the Hyperstone Maze, one of a series of Tesseract Labyrinths constructed at the height of the Charnovokh Dynasty. It is a trinket really, only of interest to scholars such as you and I, but I trust you will find it amusing; assuming you have the wit to escape its clutches, of course.

DracomicronGnome-Interruptussee317ArdolironsizideMrGrimoiresarukunLord_Asmodeusstopgap
    Who was that message sent to?

This discussion has been closed.