As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    You could be the man of the hour, Roboute Guilliam and run the indomitus crusade

The Tau expansion would eventually come out for this hypothetical 40k Paradox game and then everyone would be talking about the Tau all the time the way they have every other New Expansion Toy, and I'd want to claw my eyes out.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Embrace the Greater Good. Enjoy the robots and railcannon.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Yeah on second thought Paradox would 100% lock cool shit behind DLCs over the next decade. Wanna have Knights in your armies? Buy the Knights DLC. Wanna play as Chaos? Buy the Chaos DLC. But no daemons in your army without the Daemon DLC.

The problem with the Warhammer/40k license is that there's so much and the fans want access to all of it. I remember people were real pissed that they never added Tyranids to DoW 1.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    IG could work and be pretty fun.

Space Marine chapters are probably too small for grand strategy.

With Paradox I could see them go a route where you control like an entire branch of the Imperium. Or the opposite and go Crusaders King style where you are just like a local planetary governor trying to survive in this insane universe.
    Space marines as smaller elite units you can only have a small max amount of could work.
    Or as somekind of special event or resource.
    Have an influence mechanic you can spend for Space Marine, Legio Titanica or other special armies to show up for limited amount of time in a given system with you having only minimal control over them.
    Possibly you could earn influence through special missions for those armies, or by providing them with resources, starting from something as small as recruits to whole worlds for them to use as they see fit.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’d say I want a game where you control a knight house but that’s basically the Battletech game we got.

Someone should make a mod.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »
    Didn’t the Witcher guys say they were done with that series and were making a sci-fi game next? It could happen.

They're doing Cyberpunk 2020 now.

And by now they legit mean till 2020 , that game isn’t coming out anytime soon.

a 2020 release date would be about right, I bet

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Oh God I am imagining the paradox-style event tree of "Orks invaded, request aid from nearby Marine chapter>Marines drop to the surface on wings of fire, gain Morale> Marines discover genestealer cult, Exterminatus"
    And then the whole planet/tile gets greyed out

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    speaking of imperial knights, i'm finally getting around to building mine and reposing everything and making a cool base and it's a lot of fun trying to replace pistons with brass rod and plasticard and whatnot

it's such a big and beautiful kit that it'd be a shame not to go all out on it

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    speaking of imperial knights, i'm finally getting around to building mine and reposing everything and making a cool base and it's a lot of fun trying to replace pistons with brass rod and plasticard and whatnot

It’s a blast! I made mine with the thunderstrike gauntlet but converted the chainsaw into a sword that he holds.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I want Paradox to make a galaxy-scale 40k strategy game. Let me create my own Space Marine chapter or IG regiment and defend my home worlds and go on crusades.

I mean, stellaris has so many 40k references already they basically did.

You can make space marines.

One of the voice packs has “PURGE THE XENOS” as a voice line.

• Options

It’s a blast! I made mine with the thunderstrike gauntlet but converted the chainsaw into a sword that he holds.

nice. I've gone and cut up all the fingers on the gauntlet and then pinned them back together to make a fist. I've been going off this whole blog a bit, but also to have a similar sort of cannon and pose to this one

haven't quite decided on the colour scheme yet. My "god it'd be so expensive" dream is to go and get a forge world solar auxilia squad, and have them running alongside two knights. I think that the whole thing of having everyone in this ancient looking armour predating the imperium is a great look.

• Options
    I went with AdMech suppport for mine and will be lifting the color scheme (ice blue and white) from house pegasson because in the books they are egalitarian when it comes to men or women becoming knights and hell yeah to that.

The pose you are working towards sounds great! Be sure to share pics :)

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I went with AdMech suppport for mine and will be lifting the color scheme (ice blue and white) from house pegasson because in the books they are egalitarian when it comes to men or women becoming knights and hell yeah to that.

The pose you are working towards sounds great! Be sure to share pics :)

i haven't quite read any of the lore myself yet

but i did get this model, which i'm going to convert to have a bit more wiring and electronics, and to be holding a helmet (hopefully a scion on if i can get my hands on one)

HoEilEU.jpg

she's gonna be my pilot

i saw a really good model a while back that was a fantasy one (i think converted from the classic Archaon one) where they'd gone and smoothed all the chaos details off and made an armoured knight. And it was a quite bright and vibrant light blue with gold trimming which I thought looked excellent, but i've never been able to pull it off myself.

edit: oh hey, finally managed to find it again

not actually as good as i remember it, but i guess this was the thread that had the amazing ork dredd steamtank conversion that i kinda just copied

edit2: my Imperial Knight can face off against my Empirial Knight

DfNcIHzXcAA7K3B.jpg
    DfNcLNmWAAY0eZk.jpg
    DfNcNN1WsAAQDlh.jpg
    DfNcJwSWsAMqOFc.jpg

Lalabox on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Holy poop.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    the fun part about elaborate bases is that i'm now looking up 28mm lampposts and street lights

edit: i think i've actually got the perfect bit for it, but now i need some wooden doweling, and it's 20 to 9, and tomorrow i'm going to have to work on something else and hmmmm

time to raid our house for appropriate tubing for a 28mm lamp post

edit2: a pencil might work? it's just a tad thick

edit3: got a nice piece of plastic tubing from way back that's perfect

Lalabox on
  • Options

it's a bit annoying trying to hold the model together to balance it to take a photo of the whole thing. Probably going to wait until i've got everything just about done.

in the lower space, i'm going to add a bit of a riverbed/general dirt, plants and runnoff thing. It's like there's a bit of a dried up canal in the city. It's a bit more fun to try and make a city base that isn't completely destroyed.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    In that river basin/drainage canal, remember to make it look like his foot has squelched up (thats a real phrase, right?) the mud around his foot. I'm sure you were, because that's gonna be awesome!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ok, so i won't post all my updates in this thread, but i'm not quite sure about this bit.

i'm quite liking the shooting with the cannon pose, although if i went with the other one, i'd add the missile launcher on top to make it look like the knight is bracing for that.

i suppose 1 makes it look like the knight is storming up out of the river basin, whereas 2 make it look like it's flanking around

• Options
    I like 2 more, where the gun and head are in line.

I like the confidence of not looking where he is walking.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I like 2 more, where the gun and head are in line.

I like the confidence of not looking where he is walking.

Yeah, I think I like the "Sighting down the barrel" look as well.
    Let the foot soldiers worry about not getting stepped on, you got things to shoot.

• Options
    well, already stepped through the fencing

thanks for the feedback

• Options
    edited June 2018
    part of the fun of going all in on modelling is that you end up getting really invested in a specific idea and wonder how much you should spend on pulling it off

right now i'm getting really excited looking at fake water effects and 28mm swamp reeds

edit: genuinely all about everything going on here

Lalabox on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    right now i'm getting really excited looking at fake water effects and 28mm swamp reeds

I experimented with "ice" bases once. Only made two and used a bit too much ink, but it looks promising.

I'd probably drybrush them with white so they look a bit snowy too.

aPAa2Bel.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    A little white drybrush to catch the edges of the ice goes a long way, in my experience of painting up bases for Beastclaw Raiders.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    A little white drybrush to catch the edges of the ice goes a long way, in my experience of painting up bases for Beastclaw Raiders.

I overshot real hard on blue the one time I tried it, so this seems like good advice.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    DfuAMHEUcAEj2Ks.jpg
    DfuANkAUEAAujKH.jpg

so, i went off and bought some water effects and long static grass, and some cheap paintbrushes to make long reeds, and i'm looking forward to finishing this off when i get the rest of the model painted

also maybe keen on actually ordering some leaf scatter for even more detail. Maybe print a tiny newspaper or poster.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh shit that looks good. So, are you going to have the foot below the surface of the water? That's gonna be super-cool.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DfvwDgqU0AAJoyW.jpg
    Painting some scenery!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Oh shit that looks good. So, are you going to have the foot below the surface of the water? That's gonna be super-cool.

The water is probably only going to just touch the base of some of the toes. I don't think it'll look great with how the base is if i go any deeper than that.

But i'll play it by ear. The water effect is designed to be poured a few millimetres at a time.

Edit: i also bought some long static grass where it'll all still in these strands that are several inches long and you cut them to the right length yourself and i've been adding some to the cracks in the pavement

Lalabox on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

The water is probably only going to just touch the base of some of the toes. I don't think it'll look great with how the base is if i go any deeper than that.

But i'll play it by ear. The water effect is designed to be poured a few millimetres at a time.
    Go whole-hog and submerge the entire scene under water. Just a big ol' bot encased in a solid cylinder of transparent resin.

"That's a nice army using some bull-ass-shit tactics you just beat me with, there.

It would be a shame if this mini accidentally fell over.

And rolled all over it."

• Options
    Df341kfV4AEsF7X.jpg
    Df343VcVAAADvfu.jpg
    Df345FGVQAAEmI-.jpg

I am enjoying trying out some of the technical paints and weather effects on this model.

You can basically taste the grime and grease.

I want to maybe bring out some more rusty orange in it for a warmer colour, and i'm pretty keen on adding some bright spot colours as well

still haven't quite settled on a colour scheme for the armour

I'm thinking a very light blue-grey, with deep blue and yellow details

Like this

but i haven't ever painted a blue grey that i've been happy with, when it comes to this really bright, yet subtle blue grey

• Options
    Df_LPamU0AAbHcO.jpg
    Guardians and their ride

• Options
    Ooooh I was thinking of doing a similar ice blue and white scheme for my knight house and their household troops, after seeing your eldar I am convinced that is the right direction to go in.

I really like your bases, how’d you pull that look off?

• Options
    Light grey>black wash>same grey drybrushed on top.
    Snow is just GW’s straight from the pot. A lot of people I know don’t rate it but i think it’s pretty great

• Options
    KKrhZum.jpg

there's a bunch of new stormcast models, and they've made an effort to include more women, and one of them has an undercut

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Oh no my wallet..

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Oh no my wallet..

Well I agree but it's that budget I have and other things that prevent me form going in
    Still it's that thing I have flirted with for years getting into Warhammer now with Aos 2.0 coming out I kind of want to but my brother wants to know more about the Aelf before he dives in

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Yeah on second thought Paradox would 100% lock cool shit behind DLCs over the next decade. Wanna have Knights in your armies? Buy the Knights DLC. Wanna play as Chaos? Buy the Chaos DLC. But no daemons in your army without the Daemon DLC.

The problem with the Warhammer/40k license is that there's so much and the fans want access to all of it. I remember people were real pissed that they never added Tyranids to DoW 1.

That would make Paradox way better for fans than any previous holder of the licence. The options are pretty grim:

1) make game, go bankrupt
    2) make game, make several expansions that each cost way more than DLC, go bankrupt
    3) make shitty free-to-pay shovelware

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

That would make Paradox way better for fans than any previous holder of the licence. The options are pretty grim:

1) make game, go bankrupt
    2) make game, make several expansions that each cost way more than DLC, go bankrupt
    3) make shitty free-to-pay shovelware

Who has gone bankrupt making a good warhammer/40k game? Creative Assembly's still in operation, so is Relic, those guys who made BFG:A are making a sequel, Streum On is still kicking, etc. So it's not so grim, actually?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    KKrhZum.jpg

there's a bunch of new stormcast models, and they've made an effort to include more women, and one of them has an undercut

The new core rule book also has a female Stormcast on the cover, though boob armour appears:

irdcwyay95g8.jpg

GW has just given every employee £3000 bonus as well.

SharpyVII on
This discussion has been closed.