As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    The greatest 40k character was Lijah Cuu because nobody else made you hate them so much that you had to slam the book down and have a cry.

that piece of shit.... twice! what an asshole

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so I'm having trouble figuring out what the flow of this is for building, like what variants I'm supposed to do

do I need to do one of everything, just follow the instructions down the line? do whatever I want? build my squad in advance and just make that?

I don't know how this works yet

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    do whatever I want?
    Bingo. This is your army, and it can be whatever you want!

• Options
    If I want to change my squad loadout, but I’ve already committed my miniatures to have certain stuff, am I just supposed to buy new ones if I wanna respec?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    That depends on who you play with. If your playing casually, most players won’t have a problem with you pointing to a bolter marine and saying “This guy has a plasma gun” as long as everyone is clear what model has what. If you’re playing in tournament settings, you’ll need to conform to What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG), in which every model must have all wargear modeled.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    There's also the option of magnetizing your minis, so you can swap out gear as you wish.
    It's generally only done with larger models where you're only going to need to swap a handful of turrets or limbs out, rather than swapping every marines arms individually (turns out tiny bits get lost easily when they're designed to be removable).

If one was really ambitious and dedicated to saving money, you could magnetize your individual dudes and all their weapon options.
    One would have to be really ambitious though.

But really, what GR_Zombie said, play casually and proxy the guys you want using the guys you have until you determine how you want to build your army.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BP6mh2O5T8

Finally I might really pick one up just to paint

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BP6mh2O5T8

Finally I might really pick one up just to paint

One of the projects im planning (if I ever I finish my Transformer-Marine army) is a Mad Max inspired Ork warband (hardly original but still something I wanna do), this looks like it'll be perfect!

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    OH GOD DAMMIT.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The greatest 40k character was Lijah Cuu because nobody else made you hate them so much that you had to slam the book down and have a cry.

Man I hate that fucker.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

Man I hate that fucker.

Well he dies in a less than satisfying way.

• Options
    How long does painting usually take per model?

I'm about an hour into a single Space Marine and I have done...the primer and the base

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

I'm about an hour into a single Space Marine and I have done...the primer and the base

When you feel it's done
    I.E. never

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

A while, once you get the feel for it you can paint up groups faster by doing things assembly line style. But honestly it just takes time.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    A hour!?!?

All I can say is you'll get faster with practice. An hour is a long time for a single model primer+base.

Also, spray undercoat is a godsend.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Depends on the model, the quality of the paint job you're going for, and your skill as a painter.
    When you start it's really easy to put a couple hours into a single dude. But as you get better you'll pick up little tricks that make it go faster like painting in batches, working with washes, dry brushing, and just being more familiar with the minis an help a bunch, especially when you're painting the nameless faceless masses of dudes as opposed to important characters.

• Options
    I painted a guy! The focus on this camera did me no favors!
    omc0k1irgf4h.jpeg

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Awesome! Unfortunately I can't give you much in the way of future pointers because of the photo.

Some tips to taking good photos of models though:

Photography-Mar1-TopTipsUpdate1e.jpg

The most helpful bit is using the white paper background, really helps with the focus. :)

Edit: I also find I get better results if I shoot from further back and crop down to size. Most phones take HUGE pictures anyway these days.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    OH GOD DAMMIT.

Ork buggies? Would've pegged you more as the trukk type.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    A Holy Terran Empire intent on wiping out mutants and Xenos is from Nemesis the Warlock.

Yeah, this in particular is a huge influence.

p2k65YH.jpg

I love how anyone who ever reads anything about the Spanish Inquisition immediately goes “Fuck, Torquemada is such a dope name, I’m just stealing it.”

And I’m over here like

“Yeah, you’re right, that is a super dope name, right on.”

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey that looks pretty good @Mr. G

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

When you feel it's done
    I.E. never

"Art is never finished, it is merely abandoned."

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »
    OH GOD DAMMIT.

Ork buggies? Would've pegged you more as the trukk type.

I mean, yeah, I built my first battlewagon out of a certain brand name toy truck. The second one is a bulldozer.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

When you feel it's done
    I.E. never

"Art is never finished, it is merely abandoned."

I made the mistake of going through my ~10yo War Machine stuff the other day to show my wife what I was talking about.

I now want to repaint a surprising amount of it, or at least pick out a bunch of highlights and gold bits.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    When looking at old models I often say to myself "What was I thinking?" but what I was probably thinking was "I have 30 more of these to do."

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    When looking at old models I often say to myself "What was I thinking?" but what I was probably thinking was "I have 30 more of these to do."

Yeah, I know for a fact that was the driving impulse behind a lot of it. I'm mostly surprised that I put so little effort into many of the warjacks. We were running a no-unpainted-stuff-on-the-table slow grow thing then, though, which was also a contributing factor.

I did do a pretty good job on Herne & Jonne despite them being a really early pickup (and later rendered totally unnecessary by the Long Gunners' command staff).

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to paint more models but it is a very expensive hobby.

Even the brushes and paints add up.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Yeah there's a lot of
    sarukun wrote: »
    A Holy Terran Empire intent on wiping out mutants and Xenos is from Nemesis the Warlock.

p2k65YH.jpg

I love how anyone who ever reads anything about the Spanish Inquisition immediately goes “Fuck, Torquemada is such a dope name, I’m just stealing it.”

And I’m over here like

I feel like I'm missing some piece of context here

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Ah yes, back when GW had 11-year old kids write their characters.

They don't now?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Yeah there's a lot of

p2k65YH.jpg

And I’m over here like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomás_de_Torquemada

• Options
    Well, apparently this starter assembly and painting kit I got has been on the shelf for a while, because the glue was already dried when I opened it, so now I need another glue thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Yeah there's a lot of

p2k65YH.jpg

And I’m over here like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomás_de_Torquemada

The Spanish Grand Inquisitor I was aware of, I sort of felt like I was missing something else but maybe not

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Been reading through the new white dwarf and there's some pretty cool female Stormcast models in the new Stormcast Chamber:

bl5s5kvabdm1.jpg
    ili3egfpr1n5.jpg
    bx3valepl5uh.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It was annoying not to have lady Stormcast from the off given their fluff, but at least they're trying a little now. The front cover of the core rulebook is even a cool looking Liberator woman, it's nice to see a moderate effort if naught else.

Unrelated but I grabbed a couple of decks for the new AoS card game to mess around with, only played a couple of quick games but its fun and seems to have some pretty neat little mechanics!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I want to paint more models but it is a very expensive hobby.

Even the brushes and paints add up.

The moment I quit WH40K was when as a 16 year old I realised I had spent £50 on a plastic tank.

I mean it was a Land Raider but still. That shit be expensive. I would recommend kill team if you're thinking of getting back into it.

• Options
    I’ve started assembling some of the Kill Team stuff and damn these Skitarii Rangers look so cool and man did Destiny just rip off their whole thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgXd4NjJOis

good info for folks maybe to dipping their toes in

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I could totally abandon finishing my Deathwatch army and using what I already have for Kill Team.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I may have gone a bit nuts buying extra bits off ebay for some Knight Armiger conversions

This discussion has been closed.