As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Clue: Ordo Hereticus could work.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    You should play kill team and spend way more money than you would think.

Oh and a lore question. I know both Ciaphas Cain and Sulla live well into the 42nd Millenium as of their memoirs. Do they both live until after the Scar and Guilliman wakes up?

Also I find the idea that Sulla becomes the "only female Lady General in the Imperial Guard" to be... ridiculous and insane. MAYBE the only one during her actual life time, which I would still rate as highly dubious.

I think this is one of the better opportunities the reader is given to invoke the "Cain / Amberley are unreliable narrators," conceit, yeah.

Also, thinking about it some more, there's got to be at least one planet in the Imperium where they still have the uniforms and visual design of original Monopoly in force, right? Tuxedo and spats on the planetary governor, who goes around in a running-board-equipped hovercar with sacks of cash with $ on them? Seems like a good place to take your RPG group.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really with Kill Team I am curious when Inquisitors come, how will they be? Assassins? and many other of the odd ones.

I am curious about the Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress game? What do you get in it? Will it hint who built the blackstone forts? What is the antagonist of it? Can I use the Rogue Trader and if he gets a gang of followers in Kill Team? {that one I would say yes sight unseen but then again I am working off a 20 second video}

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

Oh and a lore question. I know both Ciaphas Cain and Sulla live well into the 42nd Millenium as of their memoirs. Do they both live until after the Scar and Guilliman wakes up?

Also I find the idea that Sulla becomes the "only female Lady General in the Imperial Guard" to be... ridiculous and insane. MAYBE the only one during her actual life time, which I would still rate as highly dubious.
    Cain died and was (allegedly) buried with full military honors sometimes after the end of 42nd millenium.
    Departmento Munitorum does not buy it, so they keep paying Comissar his paycheck.

Personally i hope Cain ends up becomming a saint (he is already a prophet), once he dies, after a long "posthumous" career in the inquisition.
    I mean, belief fuels lot of things in the 40k, and i bet there are plenty of guardsmen that would be more than happy to offer a prayer to the sane and reasonable comissar who probably won't shoot you and instead hauls your ass out of the fire.
    That said, i also want to see Ciaphas meeting Guilliman.

On Sulla, she might have been the first and only Lady General at the time of writing (unlikely, but not impossible), or Vail just rolled critical failure on her background checks (maybe Mott was not at hand).

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    There's another Guant book in the pipeline titled The Victory!

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    There's another Guant book in the pipeline titled The Victory!

I really should get the new one and go back and re-read the series

• Options
    I started them all over. Almost done with The Founding right now.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I started them all over. Almost done with The Founding right now.

Some of those early stories are hard to read because they lose like 400 guys to friendly fire or whatever, and you know just what is being lost with that scale of violence.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    One of the basic problems of the Imperium is the constant miscommunication. There’s whole departments whose sole duty is burning records from other departments. There could be a hundred ‘Only Lady General Ever’ people with more to spare.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Literal wars fought because two organizations can't agree on exactly which year it is.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Planets starve because scribe made an error.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Cain died and was (allegedly) buried with full military honors sometimes after the end of 42nd millenium.
    Departmento Munitorum does not buy it, so they keep paying Comissar his paycheck.

Personally i hope Cain ends up becomming a saint (he is already a prophet), once he dies, after a long "posthumous" career in the inquisition.
    I mean, belief fuels lot of things in the 40k, and i bet there are plenty of guardsmen that would be more than happy to offer a prayer to the sane and reasonable comissar who probably won't shoot you and instead hauls your ass out of the fire.
    That said, i also want to see Ciaphas meeting Guilliman.

On Sulla, she might have been the first and only Lady General at the time of writing (unlikely, but not impossible), or Vail just rolled critical failure on her background checks (maybe Mott was not at hand).

I'm pretty sure the Administratium has decreed that Cain is never allowed to be declared dead. He can be fired out of a Cannon into an army of Black Legion holding a Life Virus bomb on a mandatory PPV vid screen broadcast across the entire known galaxy. And he would still be declared alive.

Also Cain meets Guilliman better end with him slapping the Primarch and being like "Enjoyed your nap while your father's empire collapsed around you?" And Robute just slowly considers his cheek and is like "I like him....he is now my Warmaster" leaving Cain agasp like "....what just happened".

Thus begins Cain being forced onto the front lines instead of sitting well behind the front line drinking Synth-caff and not having to fight Chaos Marines on a minute-ly basis.

• Options
    The rough thing about starting the Guant series over, is knowing what happens to certain people, or seeing people again before things changed them. I've been saying it for years but damn it would make a great HBO series.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the Administratium has decreed that Cain is never allowed to be declared dead. He can be fired out of a Cannon into an army of Black Legion holding a Life Virus bomb on a mandatory PPV vid screen broadcast across the entire known galaxy. And he would still be declared alive.

Specifically, this part is because of a rare moment of self-awareness on the part of the Administratum; the slow churn of bureaucracy simply couldn't keep up with the constant examples of Cain going MIA-presumed-KIA and subsequent returns to duty. In order to avoid having to constantly chase down and revise errors, they decided it was better to just perpetually keep him on the roster, even if his corpse winds up being interred in a full honors public funeral ceremony broadcast across the Ultima Segmentum, just in case.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The rough thing about starting the Guant series over, is knowing what happens to certain people, or seeing people again before things changed them. I've been saying it for years but damn it would make a great HBO series.

Gaunt is one of those series I mean to read in full. I read the first volume and loved it. But then Eisenhorn and the ABK books combined with the Horus Heresy at the time took my total attention. I really need to go back to these.

Would be awesome if they started making quality audible books for these to add to my Amazon Library.

• Options
    I don't know how well the Guant books would translate to audio format, unless you want to drive to work listening to a whole lot of screaming, dying, weapons fire, etc.

• Options
    Also I forget the exact timeline, but somewhere in there, Guant had read Ravenor's books from the height of his career.

• Options
    What happens when a genestealer eats an ork?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    They steal the Ork genes, duh.

Being serious, I'm pretty sure that one of the Tyranid variants was built using Ork DNA. The Carnifex maybe?

edit- nope
    Genestealers are made from human DNA

Zoanthropes are made from Eldar DNA

Biovores are made from Ork DNA

Squigs are maybe some kind of Ork/Tyranid hybrid maybe. Rippers are their full Tyranid version.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Squigs pre date the Tyranids a left over from the rogue trader days

A fun fact the person behind the creation of the Tyranids and Zerg is the same person
    Andy Chambers former GW employee Former Blizzard Employee

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Squigs pre date the Tyranids a left over from the rogue trader days

A fun fact the person behind the creation of the Tyranids and Zerg is the same person
    Andy Chambers former GW employee Former Blizzard Employee

Eh, Andy Chambers wasn't at Blizzard until 2006 from what I can find; Tyranids have been in Starcraft since the original, which came out in 1998 but began development in 1995.

Their similarities are because they're both based on older & more widely known literary & film sci-fi stuff like Heinlein's Bugs (1959), Alien's Xenomorphs (1979), etc. Sort of like how the original Necrons where basically Terminators (& Skynet's other future robo-killers) + Dalek weaponry & ideology + Cybermen (Pariahs).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Ok, second question- Has there been a major Chaos vs Necron or Nid fight in the fluff?

• Options
    Chaos Vs Tyranid in the newest codex several times
    There is a vague mention of various fights in the new necron one but nothing concrete just comments

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    They steal the Ork genes, duh.

Being serious, I'm pretty sure that one of the Tyranid variants was built using Ork DNA. The Carnifex maybe?

edit- nope
    Genestealers are made from human DNA

Zoanthropes are made from Eldar DNA

Biovores are made from Ork DNA

Squigs are maybe some kind of Ork/Tyranid hybrid maybe. Rippers are their full Tyranid version.

They've moved away from this stuff recently, it was very overt in the 3rd edition models of those units though. I believe the 3rd ed tyrant guard had some space marine elements also.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Chaos Vs Tyranid in the newest codex several times
    There is a vague mention of various fights in the new necron one but nothing concrete just comments

How did it turn out?

• Options
    Which the Chaos one was a death world where chaos changed the world into a hellish demon world as the tyranids attacked it
    So from what I remember the tyanids left hungry
    The Necron one was just comments of how strange the aliens are and what should be done about it

• Options
    Playing against some Primaris Killteams made me think about building one, too. I was looking at Blood Angels as I still have a bunch of bits around for those.

The preview page for the codex on the GW page has the squad numbers go up to 20. How big is the chapter currently? The last info I have is that they nearly got destroyed by Tyranids and saved by a Khorne demon invasion shortly before Guilliman and his crusade showed up.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    There’s a blurb in the Nid codex about a salty Necron overlord torching his own planet. You didn’t win!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Playing against some Primaris Killteams made me think about building one, too. I was looking at Blood Angels as I still have a bunch of bits around for those.

The preview page for the codex on the GW page has the squad numbers go up to 20. How big is the chapter currently? The last info I have is that they nearly got destroyed by Tyranids and saved by a Khorne demon invasion shortly before Guilliman and his crusade showed up.

Big Rob turns up and reinforces them with loads of Primaris marines. So they're at least at close to full strength

• Options
    Having the squad numbers go up to 20 sounds like way more than full chapter strength.

Other question realted to this: What helmet colour would Blood Angels Reivers have? Yellow?

• Options
    Yeah, Blood Angel Reivers are yellow helmets. Not sure about the 20 man squads though. Normal marines are now a minority in most Blood Angel related chapters due to the devastation of Baal. Dante lit the blood drop signal and almost every successor chapter came running.

• Options
    My favourite part of the 8th Edition Blood Angels is the flying psyker dreadnaughts

• Options
    Listened to a codex fluff rundown right now and the additional numbers might be for extra scout squads, because after the devastation of Baal Dante apparently gave every aspirant a free pass and they got turned into marines right away, so they might have a surplus of scouts right now.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Did they almost get flying Land Raiders? :cool:

593.jpg

• Options
    Alas, no more deep striking land raiders. That was a step too far.

Dreadnaughts with dreadnaught sized force weapons, being able to create magic wings that let them move around like they had jump packs? That's cool though.

And also because Cawl decided the Red Thirst was a feature and not a bug, Primaris space marines get the red thirst.

I imagine Primaris reivers fuck shit up for blood angel players

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Having the squad numbers go up to 20 sounds like way more than full chapter strength.

Other question realted to this: What helmet colour would Blood Angels Reivers have? Yellow?
    The squad numbers go up to 20 now to accommodate Primaris 5-Marine squads. You get ten squads of ten or twenty squads of five or something in between if your company is mixed.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Someone at my store did a fantastic black and white unit of orks

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The best Chaos vs Tyranids thing is in the Death Guard codex.

DG and Tyranids turn up to a planet at the same time, the Death Guard unleash plagues to clear out the nids . The Tyranids respond with toxicrines, who make the planet even more toxic. The Death Guard release even worse plagues, then Tyranids evolve hardier toxicrines. This goes back and forth a few times until the Death Guard peace out. When the main tyranid hive fleet arrives to eat the planet it’s so toxic that it kills the hive fleet dead, and the Death Guard deliberately started the cycle to bump off a tendril.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Someone at my store did a fantastic black and white unit of orks

Cool, I think I saw a picture of them before. They also won some kind of paininting thing, right?
    Your store has some talents.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    The best Chaos vs Tyranids thing is in the Death Guard codex.

DG and Tyranids turn up to a planet at the same time, the Death Guard unleash plagues to clear out the nids . The Tyranids respond with toxicrines, who make the planet even more toxic. The Death Guard release even worse plagues, then Tyranids evolve hardier toxicrines. This goes back and forth a few times until the Death Guard peace out. When the main tyranid hive fleet arrives to eat the planet it’s so toxic that it kills the hive fleet dead, and the Death Guard deliberately started the cycle to bump off a tendril.

I can hear Papa Nurgle chuckling from here

This discussion has been closed.