As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Someone at my store did a fantastic black and white unit of orks

Cool, I think I saw a picture of them before. They also won some kind of paininting thing, right?
    Your store has some talents.

Yeah it's a pretty major one. There's this absolutely insane space wolf diorama/armies on parade thing that's over a metre tall.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    The best Chaos vs Tyranids thing is in the Death Guard codex.

DG and Tyranids turn up to a planet at the same time, the Death Guard unleash plagues to clear out the nids . The Tyranids respond with toxicrines, who make the planet even more toxic. The Death Guard release even worse plagues, then Tyranids evolve hardier toxicrines. This goes back and forth a few times until the Death Guard peace out. When the main tyranid hive fleet arrives to eat the planet it’s so toxic that it kills the hive fleet dead, and the Death Guard deliberately started the cycle to bump off a tendril.

I can hear Papa Nurgle chuckling from here

In the tyranids book it comes up that tyranids are terrified of chaos, because it’s loss of biomass fighting them. If Chaos “wins” and the whole galaxay becomes an eye of terror then the tyranids “lose”.

It also mentions they had to evolve a hive fleet specifically to deal with chaos, which means that chaos is limited to the milky way, which is intresting.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Maybe that's the real end-game. Milky Way chaos gods v. other galaxy chaos gods.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The warp is probably really stable out in the emptiness.

Then you get to Andromeda and discover the galaxy is a capitalist hell that worships a warp god of great deals.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Weaver wrote: »

Then you get to Andromeda and discover the galaxy is a capitalist hell that worships a warp god of great deals.

Yeah, aren't the chaos gods basically self-aware accumulations of negative psychic energy that were ignited into existence by galactic tragedies? So, in another galaxy, it's possible nothing ever achieved the critical mass trifecta of being galaxy-spanning in scope, occurring over a short enough time period, & involving species with sufficient active or latent psychic potential (eg Eldar & Humans vs Tau) to trigger an apotheosis. I'm sure there would be others out there in some galaxies, but not necessarily all of them. And it seems obvious the ones we know are specific to the milky way based on Slaanesh's origin.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Didn't warp use to be fairly peaceful place? And only went nuts for some reason when the ancients were doing their seed the galaxy with life thing?
    And chaos gods are young, relatively speaking, Slaanesh is only twenty millenia old? Khorne around 40 to 50? Not sure on the other two.
    It could easily be that demons just don't appear in other galaxies, and Milkyway is just the intergalactic version of Eye of Terror.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I thought the Tyranids came from Andromeda but that was info from long long ago in 40k

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Didn't warp use to be fairly peaceful place? And only went nuts for some reason when the ancients were doing their seed the galaxy with life thing?
    And chaos gods are young, relatively speaking, Slaanesh is only twenty millenia old? Khorne around 40 to 50? Not sure on the other two.
    It could easily be that demons just don't appear in other galaxies, and Milkyway is just the intergalactic version of Eye of Terror.

Yeah that's about right I think.

Khorne gained sentience somewhere around the middle ages.

And Slaanesh awoke at the start of the age of strife.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    It’s kind of intresting to think that different galaxies have different Chaos gods because life there is different emotionally. The god of capitalism is a good one.

It also brings up an interesting point, a big part of the deal with Horus was that he thought embracing chaos was the only way to save humanity. He didn’t really know about the tyranids but he’s basically right.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    It’s kind of intresting to think that different galaxies have different Chaos gods because life there is different emotionally. The god of capitalism is a good one.

It also brings up an interesting point, a big part of the deal with Horus was that he thought embracing chaos was the only way to save humanity. He didn’t really know about the tyranids but he’s basically right.

Embracing Chaos is a terrible idea.

However so was the Emperor's "ban all religion and only use cold hard logic for everything" plan.

I feel that there is a healthy middle ground between "burn all the churches down" and "blood for the blood god"

• Options

Embracing Chaos is a terrible idea.

However so was the Emperor's "ban all religion and only use cold hard logic for everything" plan.

I feel that there is a healthy middle ground between "burn all the churches down" and "blood for the blood god"

Is it Swedish death metal?

• Options
    I think Emps should have embraced (or atleast not hardcore banned it) the godhood thing. Word bearers fell because they wanted, needed, a god, and once Emps went "Hell No" on them worshipping him, they embraced chaos gods once they learned of them.
    Also, bring the boys deeper into the knowledge of chaos and future plans thereof, hardcore atheism (even if a lie), might have worked for average imperial citizen, but his sons were going to meet demons and chaos gods, like, it was inevitable.
    Embracing chaos was kinda the worst possible thing to do (unless your goal was that humanity lives no matter what, even if only as a mindless tortured screaming husk placed in the middle of a dinner table to bring ambiance).

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    There's an interesting ongoing thing with Guilliman where he's kinda annoyed that all the religious stuff of the eclesiarchy is actually working against daemons.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    So I never looked deeply into Nid lore. But whenever I read about them the issue I have that their naming schemes don't feel very evocative? Like I wanted to read up on chaos v nids and there was a lot there about trygons and homraguants and vormagaunts and all my brain sees is a wall of spiky monsters with spikier teeth

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Lexicanum says:
    Khorne was the first to awake of the four Gods of Chaos, fully coming into existence during Terra's Middle Ages
    I'm a little surprised; I'd have expected Tzeentch to have been the first one.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    So I never looked deeply into Nid lore. But whenever I read about them the issue I have that their naming schemes don't feel very evocative? Like I wanted to read up on chaos v nids and there was a lot there about trygons and homraguants and vormagaunts and all my brain sees is a wall of spiky monsters with spikier teeth

That's pretty much what the Nids are. They get vaguely Latin sounding names for varying beasties but it's hard to do any kind of individual characterization for a hivemind that eats galaxies.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Lexicanum says:
    Khorne was the first to awake of the four Gods of Chaos, fully coming into existence during Terra's Middle Ages

I feel like that's old lore? Because Tzeentch was supposed to be the first. It goes in order of their favored numbers 9 (Tzeentch) 8 (Khorne) 7 (Nurgle) 6 (Slaanesh) and Khorne being the first to come fully into existence during our middle ages doesn't make... a lot of sense given other information, like Slaanesh coming into existence during the height of the Eldar Empire millions of years prior, and both he and Khorne being fully realized/self-aware enough to fight over who got to keep Khaine's essence after killing the rest of the Eldar gods.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

Lexicanum says:

I feel like that's old lore? Because Tzeentch was supposed to be the first. It goes in order of their favored numbers 9 (Tzeentch) 8 (Khorne) 7 (Nurgle) 6 (Slaanesh) and Khorne being the first to come fully into existence during our middle ages doesn't make... a lot of sense given other information, like Slaanesh coming into existence during the height of the Eldar Empire millions of years prior, and both he and Khorne being fully realized/self-aware enough to fight over who got to keep Khaine's essence after killing the rest of the Eldar gods.

Time moves oddly in the warp? Maybe Khorne awoke in the Middle Ages, but once he awoke, he had always been.

Alternatively... Quick! Look that way! New Space Marines!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the chaos gods are eternal but their birth-events are tied to specific locations in spacetime. This is how future-seeing is even possible in 40k as weird as it sounds.
    But then you also have to remember that “chaos runes” are even older than they are and are in fact the literal alphabet of creation itself.
    Fuck, the Old Ones must have been so damn smug when they figured that out…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Lexicanum says:

I was just trying to remember when the Fall of the Eldar happened. For some reason, I thought it happened before humanity even made it into space, but both Lexicanum and the Warhammer 40k Wikia are telling me that it happened in the 30th millenium.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Lexicanum says:

I was just trying to remember when the Fall of the Eldar happened. For some reason, I thought it happened before humanity even made it into space, but both Lexicanum and the Warhammer 40k Wikia are telling me that it happened in the 30th millenium.

Yeah, somehow the Fall of the Eldar occurs at the end of the Dark Age of Technology and sort-of crosses over temporally with the Emperor's conquest of Terra and the very earliest parts of the Crusade.

I think at one point they were planning to blame the awakening of Slaanesh for the scattering of the Primarchs and they've never bothered to fiddle with the timing, but it's not clear.

• Options
    I think the fall of Eldar was sometime during the 20s, pre 30k anyway, causing the previously existing human empire to shatter because suddenly warp travel became all but impossible.
    Might be wrong.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    But I thought that at the time of the Fall the Eldar Empire stretched nearly as large as the Imperium does now, possibly larger, and it was just their core worlds where the Eldar actually lived that was engulfed by the Eye of Terror, and that they became so hedonistic because they ruled a vast, ever-expanding empire mostly run by psychically powered machines (like wraithbone constructs, essentially, but better at the time)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    But I thought that at the time of the Fall the Eldar Empire stretched nearly as large as the Imperium does now, possibly larger, and it was just their core worlds where the Eldar actually lived that was engulfed by the Eye of Terror, and that they became so hedonistic because they ruled a vast, ever-expanding empire mostly run by psychically powered machines (like wraithbone constructs, essentially, but better at the time)

If they ever make a Warhammer 20,000 it'll be unrecognizable; they've said so much baffling and semi-contradictory stuff about the period that it's a bigger mess to try to explain than the Heresy Era, which is turning out to be at least a little problematic for them as well.

• Options
    Earlier I went to search on the Amazon phone app for a bike helmet, because I figured I'd start riding these lime bikes a bit for exercise. But gotta protect the head, you know?

It autocorrected to "bile helm".

Get lost, Nurgle!

• Options
    Earlier I went to search on the Amazon phone app for a bike helmet, because I figured I'd start riding these lime bikes a bit for exercise. But gotta protect the head, you know?

It autocorrected to "bile helm".

Get lost, Nurgle!

Papa Nurgle wants you to ride safe too.
    He just suggests you protect your tender skull and brain meats in a thick coating of pustulant flesh and bone protuberances, maybe a friendly nurgling or two to cushion your impact. None of that plastic and foam stuff for Papa Nurgles favorite.

• Options
    But I've already a feeling that I just ride the neighborhood in this one particular pattern, feeding my blood to the roots of eight certain trees, which no big right? That's not weird. Then I'll suddenly get approved for a home loan on this one creep/totally normal house nearby.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I think the fall of Eldar was sometime during the 20s, pre 30k anyway, causing the previously existing human empire to shatter because suddenly warp travel became all but impossible.
    Might be wrong.

Kinda, yeah. The Fall, as in the period of hedonistic insanity that gripped the Eldar core worlds, took quite a long time. It may have been (definitely was) connected to the increased warp storm activity that all but destroyed the human federation of worlds, but the actual birth of she who thirsts cleared all those storms up in an instant.

On the other hand, the period before even that, when the Eldar became increasingly internally focused and isolationist, is what allowed the human worlds to flourish in the first place…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I like to imagine some giant Federation style ship, all making it's peaceful rounds in the peaceful human territories, when suddenly DAEMONS OH FUCK WE HAVE NO CONTEXT FOR THIS What do you mean you have no helm control oh double fuck now the helm just ate you shit!

• Options
    Hmmm. You could probably proxy a dark age of technology army with craftworld rules. Mainly iron men as wraith units plus grav vehicles and such. All the stuff from the imperial guard and space marine vehicles would also be available, but it would be the colonisation farmer's militia part of the army.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Hmmm. You could probably proxy a dark age of technology army with craftworld rules. Mainly iron men as wraith units plus grav vehicles and such. All the stuff from the imperial guard and space marine vehicles would also be available, but it would be the colonisation farmer's militia part of the army.

You get Funky aeldari
    v0a4dad0bpan.png

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I also imagine there's these forge worlds out there, still got really old STC patterns, making power weapons, ancient pattern plasma destroyer cannons for tanks, just the best las weapons, and there's this one senior Magos all like "Sucks that none of this ever gets deployed to the front instead of being stockpiled on safe, rich worlds. Eat the rich."

Edit: my phone is an ass. Fish worlds. Hah that army will never get a codex.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Just slap some shuriken guns on some idoneth deepkin

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Nothing says "early 90s GW" like helmets with huge grill mouths.

• Options
    3rd edition redesign was the worst period for Eldar though
    yra1u7wfgbhi.gif

Rogue trader times might've been abit weird, but man those late 90s early aughts were bad. The original owner second edition models are actually still quite nice. Jes Goodwin's Eldar line really was a milestone.

https://heresyandheroes.com/2016/01/20/miniature-focus-eldar-striking-scorpions/

• Options
    Really a lot of the aeldari i have are as old as the hills a few rouge trader era a bunch of 2nd era stuff i really do wonder if they will get a remodel in time

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Or flat marines

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

they gotta breath somehow

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Or flat marines

Have they come out with a new Ragnar Blackmane model yet, or are we still stuck with Ragnar Flatmane?

This discussion has been closed.