As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    He also thinks his dad is an asshole and hated the hero worship. He is Marcus Aurelius only fuckhuge

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah he basically got straight up told "I made you guys to do a job, nothing more, I don't really care about you, please go and sort shit out" and he dealt with it, pulled on his big boy pants and started fixing things

Even Yvraine things Bobby is a good lad

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The salvaging of his character in the eyes of hardcore fans is one of the more impressive accomplishments of Dan Abnett.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I also like how half the loyal Primarchs that did survive the Heresy just decided to fuck off into the Warp and get lost forever. Yeah some got killed / went to sleep, but a couple totally Leeroy Jenkins'd themselves right into an eternal nightmare battle.

Would have been really useful if all of those assholes had just stuck around and helped out a little.

• Options
    You could make the argument they're tying up demons in the warp so they couldn't manifest in realspace.

• Options
    Corax is the boogeyman to heretics, especially word bearers

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The salvaging of his character in the eyes of hardcore fans is one of the more impressive accomplishments of Dan Abnett.

DA totally steered into the whole "yeah he's pragmatic and boring compared to the other primarchs" meme and totally explained why it's good

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I also like how half the loyal Primarchs that did survive the Heresy just decided to fuck off into the Warp and get lost forever. Yeah some got killed / went to sleep, but a couple totally Leeroy Jenkins'd themselves right into an eternal nightmare battle.

Would have been really useful if all of those assholes had just stuck around and helped out a little.

Hey man Vulcan is a good lad who just happened to be infinitymurdered okay? He totally would have stuck around

• Options
    Smurph wrote: »

Hey man Vulcan is a good lad who just happened to be infinitymurdered okay? He totally would have stuck around

He got better. Then got super muredered

Then got better again

Then killed a primork by crashing it into a nuclear explosion

Then he got better again maybe question mark

• Options
    Vulkan is a great guy and I'm sure still around. It would be better for the imperium if he came back instead of edge lord corax or drunk Viking Russ

• Options
    The Lion or Russ are likely the next loyalist. It could possibly be Mustache if they decide he didn’t die after all somehow

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i've seen it argued elsewhere that any interaction that someone personally had with the emperor is never to be taken at face value, given the emperor's seemingly mercurial nature. to the mechanicus, he was analytical, cold, logical. to others he seemed inflamed by his passions, even bloodthirsty! to others, he was noble and brave and all the other things we're told he is.

the emperor is all of these things. and none of them! this is partially a function of being written by different authors but it makes sense from a character perspective as well. do you see everyone as a tool, and therefore suit your personality to them to better utilize them as a tool? why? you're the emperor and you've never previously shown any qualms with bending people to your will so why go through the theatrics? or is it that the emperor isn't even his own entity? does he even have a will of his own, especially following his "ascension to the throne" if you will? or is he the collective will of humanity, with all its confusion and contradictory nature?

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I was listening to Lorehammer and they had an interesting argument. Is the Emperor Human? why or why not? and for a further wrinkle, why was he motivated to do the things the did? With his status as human in question, why would he do so much for Humanity?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I think the Emperor himself would absolutely assert he is human.

He’s just a human who has seen all of human history, and therefore acts in what he thinks would work for humanity in the long term.

He’s a humanist to the Nth degree, beyond what any living being is capable of.

On a side note I’ve seen posts here and elsewhere stating the hypocrisy of The Emperor claiming there are no god’s when there factually are, in his universe.

Which is actually false. There are no gods in 40k.

Part if operating by the scientific method is, if it exists, then it is simply science we do not fully understand quite yet. And the Chaos god’s DO function in a somewhat logical manner. They feed off of sentient being emotion, which was a previously unquantifiable thing and use it and convert it into a form of energy to effect this plane of existence.

While one might go, “ well yeah they’re gods”, you could apply the same logic to humans harnessing literal LIGHTNING and using it as an energy source.

His push to starve them via science and understanding was sound, but the problem is post Dark Age of Technology mankind was fuuuuckin IGNORANT, in every sense of the word, and sitting down every human and explaining exactly how chaos gods worked would probably not even take 100% of the time. Which is why he pushed for education to get people back up to speed, thinking on a timescale beyond what anyone could understand at the time.

Which is why I could see him thinking that the 30th millennium was disposable, and something as abstract as his real plans like the webway being totally untouchable(since who was going to even perceive it?)so who cares what happens short term he can handle iGODDAMMIT MAGNUS.

• Options
    Emperor didn't need to explain everything to everyone. He needed to explain everything to his primarchs so they don't fuck up somehow

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Emperor didn't need to explain everything to everyone. He needed to explain everything to his primarchs so they don't fuck up somehow

Eh, I'd argue he needed to explain everything to some primarchs, quietly kill a few of the others, and then let the last few do their niche thing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    I think my favourite HH fact is it wasn't even originally planned by GW.

When original flavour titanicus came out they needed a reason why imperial titans were fighting each other cause they didn't want to spend the time making xeno ones.

"Uhhh... Imperial civil war? Yeah man some dude named Horus rebellled."

More like they didn't have the money for more models.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Solar wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I feel like the Horus Heresy could have been averted, and most of the primarchs could have been brought back from the edge, if their inhuman space god-dad had one single genuine conversation with them, and gave them one single hug.

Nah fuck em

They were tools, they existed for a purpose

Except Rowboat who is as good at his job as Malcador was

Rowboat is let's be honest the most effective Primarch. He was the one that realised the most useful thing for a Legion to do was to be fucking massive and hugely well organised. He was the civilisation builder, he was the guy that left behind him actual productive, safe, prosperous worlds. He was the one that during the Heresy Horus was most afraid of because him and his Legion could fight, like, three other Legions at once and win (numbers + extremely good tactical and strategic training/experience + logistics + discipline = you lose, you gang of nutters). After the Heresy he was the one that actually took responsibility, reorganised, rebuilt, put safeguards in place etc.

If you could pick one Primarch to come back on the Imperial side you'd be a fool if you didn't pick Gulliman. He's the ultimate force multiplier. Maybe you'd want Sanguinius because he's more inspiring but shit, Gulliman is inspiring! People follow him! You're right he is like Malcador, he knew he had a job to do and he did it to the absolute best of his ability. Not a nutter, not out for personal glory, not even really out for the Emperor because he knows that the Emperor's idea is even bigger than the Emperor is. Like, Imperium Secundus? The Emperor would have 100% approved of that. He'd have been like "good idea, well done for not getting sentimental." He's the complete package really. Nobody likes him because Ultramarines but he is.

I mean, comparing the Ultramarines and their successors' impact on the ultima segmentum with the Administratum and Inquisition, I feel like we could argue that he was even better than Malcador. Like, Malcador's legacy got fucked pretty quickly after he was out of the picture, Bobby G's seems to have held up a lot better without him. Malcador's still the more interesting character, though.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Its weird how much that's changed. When our Spiritual Liege Matt Ward was writing things you couldn't pay for someone to say nice things about the Smurfs.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Its weird how much that's changed. When our Spiritual Liege Matt Ward was writing things you couldn't pay for someone to say nice things about the Smurfs.

Thats because Matt Ward started snorting that fine ass warp dust and decided the Grey Wardens were the best thing ever. Period.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Not familiar with Matt Ward at all. What's the quick rundown on him and his output?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    the ultramarines are the bestest boys in the universe and all other space marines look up to them and when there's a battle and there's no ultramarines around everyone asks "where's the ultramarines?"

and then there's the Grey Knights.

Where a lot of it is dumb fun over the top bullshit like Draigo fighting his way through the warp and carving his initials on Mortarion's daemonic heart.

And then you get the incident where they slaughtered some Sisters for their healing blood.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I've also heard Matt Ward writes some pretty gross stuff about female aliens and characters, especially the sisters of battle and Tau. I've never read the books though, so.

• Options
    matt ward was the worst rules writer GW has ever had, and that is saying a lot

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    the ultramarines are the bestest boys in the universe and all other space marines look up to them and when there's a battle and there's no ultramarines around everyone asks "where's the ultramarines?"

Oh, that's not so ba-
    And then you get the incident where they slaughtered some Sisters for their healing blood.

Wait what.

• Options

Oh, that's not so ba-

Wait what.

yeah, it was not a good look in a universe where they turn babies in flying mind-wiped servant cyborgs

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    the worst rules writer was cruddace

unless you played imperial guard, but especially if your opponent played imperial guard.

he's the reason "leafblower" became a thing.

meanwhile ward's rules were actually pretty well internally balanced.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only toxic masculinity.

• Options
    the worst rules writer was cruddace

unless you played imperial guard, but especially if your opponent played imperial guard.

he's the reason "leafblower" became a thing.

meanwhile ward's rules were actually pretty well internally balanced.

I'd strongly challenge the internal balance statement

and even if they were, they were clearly not well tested and a fucking nightmare when compared against other armies

• Options

Oh, that's not so ba-

Wait what.

It was so bad it got retconned in a later edition, but here's the story.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Tangentially, I just got back from Alita and thought I imagined thus, so I looked up the trailer. Tell me this silhouette isn’t familiar, somehow:
    p512367vbd03.jpeg
    Ignore the red part; it’s the leg of the crane/robot.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    40K is not balanced great now compared to some other games out there

But its massively better than it used to be and Ward/Cruddace were a big part of that.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Tangentially, I just got back from Alita and thought I imagined thus, so I looked up the trailer. Tell me this silhouette isn’t familiar, somehow:
    p512367vbd03.jpeg
    Ignore the red part; it’s the leg of the crane/robot.

Upside-down tread, could be a Rhino, could be a Landraider, could be Johnny 5.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Wow I'm not a tabletop player, so 40k jargon is impenetrable sometimes.

Who is Mustache? What is 'leafblower'?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    "leafblower" was the nickname for a type of army build. Basically your army had so much firepower that you would jut park it in your deployment zone and after your first shooting phase the enemy army was blown of the table like leaves by a leafblower. It was the hallmark of the Imperial Guard when Robin Cruddace wrote their Codex.

Not sure about Mustache, but fom the context my guess would be Khan, the Primarch of the White Scars?

honovere on
  • Options
    Moustache is Imperial Fists primarch Rogal Dorn, who does not have a stache outside of one glorious depiction of him in the HH books.

Leafblower is from 5th edition when Imperial Guard vehicles were tuned as such, taking a certain list build could consistently wipe their enemy off the board by turn 2.

• Options
    Fans really latched on to the idea of a cool Primarch with a sweet stache.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Moustache is Imperial Fists primarch Rogal Dorn, who does not have a stache outside of one glorious depiction of him in the HH books.
    I'm really struggling to understand how this nickname came to be. Is this like when a big, bulky, bruiser guy is nicknamed "Tiny"?

• Options

Leafblower is from 5th edition when Imperial Guard vehicles were tuned as such, taking a certain list build could consistently wipe their enemy off the board by turn 2.

It’s the only depiction of Dorn that matters goddamnit

• Options
    in this house we respect the mustache canon
    Rogal_Dorn_Moustache.jpg

This discussion has been closed.