As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think the Emperor loves humanity, or at least humanity as the version he wanted it to be and maybe still hopes it will one day be. He's also probably a little miffed that it wasn't him that got brought back from the dead and one of his tools.

it's funny actually, every time even a hint of the Emperor's power shows up and you hear demons/chaos/eldar talking about it, it's almost always in terms of "Uh, is the Big E actually on the move, cause we fucked if he is"

which just goes to show you that yeah, maybe the Eldar could have brought the Emperor back but they -really- don't want that fucker actually able to walk and talk again. nor does anyone else really unless you're a human I guess.

Trace on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    But then again, if emperor dies, so does the empire, it's all chaos all the time (or necrons).
    And Eldar don't really want that either, so maybe help them keep the golden throne operational until we get that new god up and running?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It's also like, he knows that the Imperium essentially functions (barely) because of faith in the Emperor

So when he talks to the Emperor and realises that it's a load of shit he just straight up lies because the truth would be too much, too destructive

It's actually one of the things I really like, and I think it really explores his character there. The Primarchs are always these paragons of culture, like they are the purest expression of their archetypes and don't hide that at all. They don't really hide what they feel or mean because why would they? When you're a Primarch you can just say that shit and who's going to argue? But Gulliman does. The biggest epiphany of his entire existence! The ultimate revelation, the truth! And he lies. He doesn't even just not say it, or keep it hidden, he straight up lies. "Does the Emperor love us?" "Sure does! He loves us all! He's the best!" and then goes on with his business.

To be fair, he stopped telling only because he did so for about 80 years with no success in convincing people the Emperor wasn't a God.

And as many, many other works have pointed out, without faith in the Emperor humanity would have died a long time ago. And raw belief does produce tangible results in the 40k verse.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    GaryO wrote: »
    x-com style turn-based tactics games really seem to be a hand-in-glove gameplay style for warhammer, honestly.

There was a really good one back at the turn of the millenium called Chaos Gate. turn based, and isometric!
    You controlled up to 15 Ultramarines and fought World Bearers.
    It had permadeath and a limited pool of marines to draw from, and weapons (and possibly ammo i forget) could only be found on missions. Your guy with a lascannon died, you lost the lascannon. Which sucked because you needed the firepower
    You could also upgrade your dudes, and if they killed 5 dudes in a mission twice they were eligible to become terminators.
    My standard team was terminator squad, (because you really needed the assault cannon), devastator squad, and assault squad, because sometimes your only option was to jetpack across the map and punch someone in the face and hope no new enemies were revealed.
    It also had a really good sound track full of what can only be described as hardcore ominous latin chanting

Chaos Gate was the fucking shit man

And it's available on GoG.com!

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I think the Emperor loves humanity, or at least humanity as the version he wanted it to be and maybe still hopes it will one day be. He's also probably a little miffed that it wasn't him that got brought back from the dead and one of his tools.

it's funny actually, every time even a hint of the Emperor's power shows up and you hear demons/chaos/eldar talking about it, it's almost always in terms of "Uh, is the Big E actually on the move, cause we fucked if he is"

which just goes to show you that yeah, maybe the Eldar could have brought the Emperor back but they -really- don't want that fucker actually able to walk and talk again. nor does anyone else really unless you're a human I guess.

I've thought that the Emperor is the God of Humanity, the physical and empyrean manifestation of human spirit in the 40K-verse. At once the embodiment of our greatest qualities and our basest faults, the Emperor thinks like a Parliament, I've felt. Like, He makes decisions based on how many voices in his head are on one side or another. I think it's the only way to make sense of both His words and His deeds. Now, when He had that psychic communion with Roboute, perhaps that PArliament had withered over the years into the Emps we know today.

That or the psychic feast of a thousand souls a day have turned him into a crotchety old man, I don't know.

Because back in the time of the Heresy, in the book "A Thousand Sons", Emps called Magnus by name, and it says that "his heart broke" (thus implying that he has a heart) when Magnus breaks through to the Imperial Palace.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Why are Marine shoulder pads so big anyway?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    HERESY

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

They sure aren't carrying spare ammo anywhere else looking at the art.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    In the fiction, they refer to the shoulder pads as reactive or autoreactive, so I assume they are made with explosives in them to blow outwards if they are hit with projectiles.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    They hold shield generators that protect the entire body.

Like in Halo!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options

Terminator_mini_MK1.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Terminator_mini_MK1.jpg

These shoulders double as full size meat smokers, for when you build up an Astartes sized appetite on the battlefield.
    They're just stuffed full of smoked hams.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

It means they can't surrender without crushing their own heads.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Terminator_mini_MK1.jpg

These shoulders double as full size meat smokers, for when you build up an Astartes sized appetite on the battlefield.

Smoked hams? I thought we were having a roast.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Terminator_mini_MK1.jpg

Smoked hams? I thought we were having a roast.

It's an Albany expression.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I thought it was along the theory of a Pauldron as it freed up the person to use both arms and worked like a shield

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Not sure if this Facebook video will embed:

https://www.facebook.com/230219510706368/posts/765123913882589/?sfnsn=mo

Cool little animated short from their Warhammer Adventures

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

It means they can't surrender without crushing their own heads.

I laughed so hard at this I woke my wife up in the next room

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    This is the most Warhammer 40k thing as hell, and we're rapidly approaching ACME levels of insanity here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M9Q1QDhqAU

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I've been working on my Blood Angel's Chaplain.

Here's his jetpack almost done. This took me a decent number of hours and was honestly why I put off painting this guy for so long.

STYcVST.jpg
    c0xVT5r.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I picked up the GSC codex (and also the dice cos I'm a weak consumer of useless plastic products), I'm not well up on the current 40k meta but it seems fun, lots of neat little tricks and combos you can do, looks more entertaining than the main Tyranid codex to my eye in any case. The fluff is quite fun too, as far as warhammer fluff bits go. But I had forgotten how annoying trying to write an army list for 8th ed 40k was! In AoS I can just look at the unit list and plug it all together, in this one I've gotta flip back and forth to find out which weapons are free and which cost points, and then remember what all the detachments look like, and allies on top of that, it's too much for my tiny brain!

I think I'll stick with painting all these aelves for now and maybe come back to the cult when my work desk is cleared up.

• Options
    Try using battlescribe on PC. It's an army list builder that helps. Also has the rules on each guy and all the points. You caj then confirm the points are correct with thr codex after.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Try using battlescribe on PC. It's an army list builder that helps. Also has the rules on each guy and all the points. You caj then confirm the points are correct with thr codex after.

battlescribe is the official unoffical army builder because GW is somehow too cheap to just pay the battlescribe makers

• Options
    Also, the machinima/audio book adaptation of Helsreach is finished. I plan on giving it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUplioG2DC4

Parts 11-13 are on the main channel.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Wait, that long episode is only parts 1-10? I have 3 more parts to watch?

I have 3 more parts to watch!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    So I did it. I marathon'd my Chaplain. I don't know if this was a good decision or a bad one but I was very inspired to paint so I went for it.

ml7hQlKh.jpg
    LetlrdHh.jpg
    hnT1AeQh.jpg
    KFOrofNh.jpg

Bonus Image: Old Chaplain vs New. Sorry about the shit Lighting.
    2b7vJVch.jpg

• Options
    Highlighting shit is still my bane.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Ooh, the first Battle Sister Bulletin is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/18/18th-feb-battle-sister-bulletin-part-1-adepta-sororitas-iconographygw-homepage-post-1/

Mostly just concept art, but it's Sisters concept art!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Also, the machinima/audio book adaptation of Helsreach is finished. I plan on giving it a watch.

(vid link snipped)

That sketch effect to get around shortcomings in the animation/assets in the early parts is a really neat choice. It's one of those things that doesn't feel like it should work that well, but it utterly does. You barely notice it fading out until he goes full-color for awhile.

I really hope that guy's got more projects lined up, because damn.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    The color starts to bleed in as Grimaldus give his first, "Imperium F--- yeah" speech, which is thematically appropriate as he's starting to overcome his doubts and pride.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

(vid link snipped)

That sketch effect to get around shortcomings in the animation/assets in the early parts is a really neat choice. It's one of those things that doesn't feel like it should work that well, but it utterly does. You barely notice it fading out until he goes full-color for awhile.

I really hope that guy's got more projects lined up, because damn.

In fact he has been hired by GW to make more videos. Doing a blood angels one next.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    so glad GW is letting these guys just make fan films rather than suing them into oblivion. builds hype, is a cheap way to gauge support for possible animated series and does your talent scouting for you.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I would love to see more animation projects come out of GW. I’m sure Netflix would throw money at them for it.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I would love to see more animation projects come out of GW. I’m sure Netflix would throw money at them for it.

I would as well but what of is a larger question?
    As we got the geriatric ultramarine movie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XwbJj3vlyc

• Options
    i think the thing is the ultramarines movie did not do that well, so future animation projects ended up canned. but the likes of helreach, lord inquisitor (RIP!) and astartes have proved that if you make a good job of it then you have something that people will get really excited about seeing.

personally i'd love any number of 40k series, from big space marine epics to crime shows about hive gangers.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    They should do a Black Library anthology series on streaming services. Tell all sorts of stories.

• Options
    i mean the quick and dirty approach is to do what Boylan did and just animate over the top of existing audiobooks.

i remain disappointed that the ultramarines film had terrence mf'in stamp in it and still managed to be bad.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The thing is that giant supermen in powered armour kicking ass is clearly a sci-fi action film, but space marines are not sci-fi action stars; they’re ascetic warrior-monks. Thus every attempt so far has torn itself apart as the characters lock horns with the premise.
    You could do it with Salamanders who are every bit the modern hero, but it wouldn’t represent the setting as a whole.
    This is why I liked that inquisitor film; political intrigue and ambiguity play well these days and it’s a good way to build up to a huge-ass battle with thousands on either side etc. where you can drop a few Marines in to take a vital bunker and show off how badass they are before you meet them.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I require a Ciaphas Cain movie/series/whatever.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    The thing is that giant supermen in powered armour kicking ass is clearly a sci-fi action film, but space marines are not sci-fi action stars; they’re ascetic warrior-monks. Thus every attempt so far has torn itself apart as the characters lock horns with the premise.
    You could do it with Salamanders who are every bit the modern hero, but it wouldn’t represent the setting as a whole.
    This is why I liked that inquisitor film; political intrigue and ambiguity play well these days and it’s a good way to build up to a huge-ass battle with thousands on either side etc. where you can drop a few Marines in to take a vital bunker and show off how badass they are before you meet them.

That assuming they would try to, "Riverdale" it up as an adaption and not go the Castlevania route of an actually good and appropriate premise.

This discussion has been closed.