As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    T'au are one of those things where even if they're relatively good guys compared to everyone else they're still shitty imperialists.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    T'au are one of those things where even if they're relatively good guys compared to everyone else they're still shitty imperialists.

I mean, if it's not Aeldari it's bad is my firm rule, and there's some overlap in the Aeldari and bad circles on the Venn diagram too.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Can I get a somewhat-concise summary of that the Deal With The Tau is now?

They're a bunch of not-exactly-Mind Controlled aliens, with other aliens in confederation with them, who believe they're acting for the Greater Good and in fact mostly sorta-are?

The deal is, they're not quite as hot as they think they are. They've had limited success against the Imperials who are fighting literally everyone at once, the Eldar consider them hopelessly naive, and the big boys like Chaos, Tyranids, and Necrons haven't mounted a truly major attack on their home systems.

Their greater good is also semi-debatable with enforced sterilization of native species in troublesome systems, and some plotting Ethereals who are most definitely not about the Greater Good.

They're nice in the sense they won't eat your civilians (Which is funny considering what Kroot do to their enemies), tear their souls out, torture them for decades. So, partly yes?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Can I get a somewhat-concise summary of that the Deal With The Tau is now?

They're a bunch of not-exactly-Mind Controlled aliens, with other aliens in confederation with them, who believe they're acting for the Greater Good and in fact mostly sorta-are?

The deal is, they're not quite as hot as they think they are. They've had limited success against the Imperials who are fighting literally everyone at once, the Eldar consider them hopelessly naive, and the big boys like Chaos, Tyranids, and Necrons haven't mounted a truly major attack on their home systems.

Their greater good is also semi-debatable with enforced sterilization of native species in troublesome systems, and some plotting Ethereals who are most definitely not about the Greater Good.

They're nice in the sense they won't eat your civilians (Which is funny considering what Kroot do to their enemies), tear their souls out, torture them for decades. So, partly yes?

The Tau represent a particular fear of idealistic utopias and cultural imperialism. They do make their conquest's lives better and seem much preferable to the alternative, but it is all a long-term trap meant to convince other races to give up, submit, and slowly die out due to secret sterilization.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't buy the sterilisation thing. There's stuff like the Vespid "mind control" which I like, as it's grey. Maybe it's language translation, maybe mindcontrol, probably something in-between as in real life there's no such thing as a 1 to 1 translation and I wouldn't be surprised if the Tau fudged the language to make themselves look good.
    But the Tau have mutually beneficial relationships with other species. The relationship with the Kroot in particular is wholesome. Despite their differences they seem genuine allies, there's no mind control, they're like buddy cops. The Tau disapprove of the Kroot eating flesh (which, given that it is a part of how their species evolve and develop, is a bit ignorant and racist of the Tau) but they haven't (or can't?) forced the issue. The Tau certainly aren't 100% wrong about disapproving of the Kroot's flesh eating as there was an incident early on when some Kroot ate defeated Chaos Marines and became corrupted by Chaos.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I like the Tau being sort of actually terrible assholes, but looking the least evil in wh40k

Like they have a caste system, last I heard (when I was playing the rogue trader rpg), and the top caste use the fire caste as cannon fodder just as much as the imperium uses the guard

And the kroot and vespid? are below that

and the human auxillary are below that

GR_Zombie
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Kroot...wholesome...100%

this checks out

l3icwZV.png
    GvzbgulKristmas KthulhuLord_Asmodeus
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    A lot of fluff is from the perspective of the Imperium, which can add a wee bit of prejudice and propaganda. Humans would certainly be pretty low on the totem pole in Tau society though, being the Great Satan for most Xenos in the galaxy and all. It would be like Japanese and German immigrants in America during WW2. Inclusive and open to all races sure, but gotta keep an eye on /those/ guys.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    edited December 2017
    The other thing I like about the Tau is that they're a little more sci fi in their willingness to work with aliens. The 40k universe has all sorts of cool aliens in it that never get a chance to shine because they aren't big enough to justify making an army, and the human focus tends to minimise the presence of aliens due to the humans being xenophobic. Often aliens get relegated to the fluff but in the Tau armies you get to see the Kroot and Vespids. And the Nicassar and Demiurg too in BFG.

I think, aside from those, and the aliens with codexes like the Eldar, there's only the Jokaero (oh, and C'Tan, but I lump them in with Necrons). But there's a tonne more in the fluff.

edit- oh, and the Dark Eldar have the Medusae and the Sslyth. Although the Medusae may or may not be sentient (and I'm not counting xeno beasts). The Sslyth are 4 armed snake mercenaries. And the Dark Eldar Ur-Ghuls are apparently aliens, or maybe mutated humans?

Gvzbgul on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The other thing I like about the Tau is that they're a little more sci fi in their willingness to work with aliens. The 40k universe has all sorts of cool aliens in it that never get a chance to shine because they aren't big enough to justify making an army, and the human focus tends to minimise the presence of aliens due to the humans being xenophobic. Often aliens get relegated to the fluff but in the Tau armies you get to see the Kroot and Vespids. And the Nicassar and Demiurg too in BFG.

I think, aside from those, and the aliens with codexes like the Eldar, there's only the Jokaero (oh, and C'Tan, but I lump them in with Necrons). But there's a tonne in the fluff.

The Jokaero are really the one mini that looks like I thought and not really
    Still I am shocked they did make one
    6d6opger4f02.png

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    All I know is, if GW ever releases an army list for Kroot, I'll be investing heavily. No Tau, please, Kroot only.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    All I know is, if GW ever releases an army list for Kroot, I'll be investing heavily. No Tau, please, Kroot only.

I want them do the Kroot reboot like they did the harlequins for the aeldari

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular

There was a Kroot only army back in 3rd/4th. You could have huge packs of Kroot Hounds, Kroot with wings (jump packs), and a shaper council with Eviscerators, 4+ invulnerable save, and wings.

Oh, and you could "evolve" your entire army to have stuff like +1 initiative, +1 toughness, night vision, etc.

Granted, anything that wasn't "Tau standard" had to be converted.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    personally i am not so big on the tau's whole slow genocide. like it works well with their Look Like the Good Guys But Are Actually Evil thing they have going. but the whole slowly exterminating the human populations through birth control and such is a bit, much i guess?

Orkz are the only morally good race.

BrainleechEspantaPajaroMrGrimoire
    Orks keep slaves.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The Tyranid are the only morally good race. They're animals following their instinct, this can neither be good not bad morally, and neutrality is the best you're gonna get in the 40K universe really.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    The Tyranid are the only morally good race. They're animals following their instinct, this can neither be good not bad morally, and neutrality is the best you're gonna get in the 40K universe really.

They're not evil, they're just a pest?

Children's rights are human rights.
    Metzger Meister
    Tyranid infestation got you down? You need Tyranids B-Gone!
    latest?cb=20130419182806
    Results may vary, no refunds.

Brainleechvalhalla130
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

They are the all-consuming, the hunger between the stars, the chewing maw devouring the void, and they will swallow the final star as it burns lonely in the desolation of a cold and dead universe.

So yeah they're like space termites or something.

GvzbgulHacksaw
    edited December 2017
    Elaro wrote: »

They are the all-consuming, the hunger between the stars, the chewing maw devouring the void, and they will swallow the final star as it burns lonely in the desolation of a cold and dead universe.

So yeah they're like space termites or something.

a9npydn16tp4.png
    They want to cuddle
    k6tja1tb4uw2.png

Brainleech on
    Gvzbgul
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Burn them all

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I thought the Tyranid hive mind is sentient and intelligent? I mean, I don't think it's plotting the murder of babies and the kicking of puppies, just the optimal acquisition of food (consumption of babies; consumption of puppies), but I feel like that complicates the "they're just animals following their instincts" narrative.

They might be a moral good in the sense that they're slowly wiping away the entire vile, corrupt galaxy; there's probably some philosophical system out there that allows for that.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Orks keep slaves.

Orks did some horrifying stuff in the Beast series.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    manwiththemachinegunGvzbgulLord_Asmodeus
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I thought the Tyranid hive mind is sentient and intelligent? I mean, I don't think it's plotting the murder of babies and the kicking of puppies, just the optimal acquisition of food (consumption of babies; consumption of puppies), but I feel like that complicates the "they're just animals following their instincts" narrative.

They might be a moral good in the sense that they're slowly wiping away the entire vile, corrupt galaxy; there's probably some philosophical system out there that allows for that.

There's some in-universe theorizing that the Tyranids are a bioweapon deployed to destroy Chaos by eliminating its source - i.e. the sentients whose negative emotions power Chaos and their gods. That's a large-scale greater good aspect.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Come on, y'all. Everyone knows that the Chaos gods are agents of liberation, trying to show mortals that they can cast off the yoke of their oppressive governments and religions and finally be free.

(I actually really like the read that the Emperor is a space-fascist blind to the actual needs and best interests of humanity, and the Chaos gods are trying desperately and genuinely to save humanity from the stagnation the Imperium represents. I mean, I know that this read runs into trouble when you get to things like "Blood for the Blood God", but I still like it.)

What happens if a Tyranid force eats a Bloodthirster or something and tries to use its biomass to make new Tyranids? Can that even happen, or is warp creature flesh not really flesh, and wouldn't work the same way with the Tyranid digestive apparatus? I need an exhaustive fictional biology lecture.

tzeentchling
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the tyranids are terrified of the warp

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, nids don't eat demons I think, in the new nid codex one of the Hive Fleet strains is specifically evolved over battles with demons, with an enhanced anti-psychic effect and a playstyle which favours ranged battle so that they don't spend as much biomass that they can't recover from converting enemy matter.

The real hero is Papa Nurgle. He loves us so much!

ShortyMorivethTonkkaHacksawAndy JoeEspantaPajaroRhesus PositiveMoridin889Lord_Asmodeus
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    nurgle loves all his sweaty, crusty pus children so much

Metzger MeisterTonkkaHacksawLord_Asmodeus
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Nurgle is the nicest grossboy

Metzger MeisterShortyTonkkaHacksawAndy JoeLord_Asmodeus
    Shorty wrote: »
    nurgle loves all his sweaty, crusty pus children so much

I didn't know Nurgle was into folk punk! :V

Shorty
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    if nurgle wanted to hide on earth he'd fit right into Olympia

hundreds of gnarly crust punks and half of them run restaurants

Metzger MeisterHacksawMatev
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Nurgle would probably love the shit out of that gross ass gum wall in Seattle

Metzger MeisterHacksaw
    that thing is so fucking gross

I'm so glad I never have any reason to walk by there

WeaverMatevTynnan
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    that thing is so fucking gross

I'm so glad I never have any reason to walk by there

And people flip the fuck out every time it gets cleaned.

Weaver on
    ShortyMetzger Meister
    I thought the gum wall was gross, but in a cool way. Like a big ugly bug or something.

tzeentchling
    edited December 2017
    I think I could handle it if it weren't for the smell

I will spare you all from experiencing any description thereof

Shorty on
    When I saw the gum wall my reaction was "Oh that's kind of novel, I never want to see it again."

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've never seen the sterilisation thing sourced. like the Tau where they are in my head Canon. Ridgid case system, imperialist, little freedom, a willingness to kill those in the way. In any other Universe they would be the bad guys. Here? They come of a positively enlightened.

wait here's something I've never thought about before

how do the Tau do space travel? do they use the Warp at all? how do they function without Navigators and the Astronomican?

BahamutZERO
This discussion has been closed.