As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    That is a wonderful mental image. I imagine it looks like a 4 legged beetle.

I imagine it looks like that marine hopping off, lifting one of the legs, awkwardly backpedalling with it - head flailing side to side in an attempt to see where he's going over his massive pauldrons - hoping desperately that he doesn't throw out his back, before dropping it, wiping his gauntlet across his brow, realising he's wearing a helmet, and then hustling back up into the seat to pewpewpewpewpew.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The little feet are repulsor pads, you see them on some other models. Presumably it bobbles around.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The little feet are repulsor pads, you see them on some other models. Presumably it bobbles around.

Yeah I was gonna say, they're the same skid plates that go around the sides of the primaris hover tanks.

It's basically the space marine version of the Eldar hoverplatforms Guardians can be accompanied by (forget what their proper name is).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

Yeah, I still don’t see it. Those pads are clearly touching the ground and repulsor equipment usually has a speed on par with wheeled vehicles. If that thing moves at all, its because that Primaris Techmarine pushes it about, grumbling the whole time that he didn’t spend 4 decades at Mars seminary to do the same work as a servitor...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    They're short term repulsor pads, enough to boost the gun off the ground but not enough to propel the gun, so the marine operating it has to throw a yoke over their shoulders and haul it around the battle field before settling it back in position.

Maybe?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Yeah, I still don’t see it. Those pads are clearly touching the ground and repulsor equipment usually has a speed on par with wheeled vehicles. If that thing moves at all, its because that Primaris Techmarine pushes it about, grumbling the whole time that he didn’t spend 4 decades at Mars seminary to do the same work as a servitor...

Well they haven't made models that can literally hover

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

It lands to fire, then takes off to reposition. Just cause repulsor vehicles 'usually' go faster doesn't mean that all anti-grav equipped things must be swift.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    it rocket jumps

• Options
    it activates the hover then the marine shoots behind him to move forward

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    They're short term repulsor pads, enough to boost the gun off the ground but not enough to propel the gun, so the marine operating it has to throw a yoke over their shoulders and haul it around the battle field before settling it back in position.

Maybe?
    I will allow this, but I need everyone to model these with two marines outfront of it, yoked into it like two horses.

• Options
    the marine activates a short downward blast and they have lean forward to hop it

• Options

Don’t be a goose. Flying or hovering models usually come with either clear plastic stands or some contrived bit of smoke or something to literally keep their “feet” off the ground.

Yeah this thing’s feet look like hover pads, but the rest of it looks like something you’d find on a man-portable artillery piece down to the springs in its legs that probably fold up automatically when the top is disassembled. It just doesn’t visually look like something that moves. The idea that it temporarily hovers is as good an idea as any, but aside from the feet nothing else looks like the rest of SM hovercraft tech. That and I just like the idea of a 7’ tall superhuman in powered armor flexing his muscle by pushing field artillery around.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

It lands to fire, then takes off to reposition. Just cause repulsor vehicles 'usually' go faster doesn't mean that all anti-grav equipped things must be swift.

By the handles on the feet I feel it's like a field gun

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Lalabox wrote: »
    it activates the hover then the marine shoots behind him to move forward

It's a hover-pogo stick.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    It could have the hover technology but no directional thrust, so the marine still has to hop off, overcome inertia and move it then overcome the momentum and stop it before it can fire again, so it has half his unencumbered movement.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Trying to get it to stop after it gained some momentum must be fun. Just this 1t piec of metal floating ever faster on its frictionless feet.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Trying to get it to stop after it gained some momentum must be fun. Just this 1t piec of metal floating ever faster on its frictionless feet.

Yeah, but it’s leashed to a 700lb (minimum) superhuman in powered armour. Also, he can probably turn that off.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Not without a bit of creative customization, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdaWg2x_OI

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

“Stand true! Stand true, you worthless dogs!” Hark yelled at the fleeing Tanith around him. “This is the Emperor’s work! Stand true or face his wrath at my hand!”

Hark was suddenly jerked backwards as Gaunt seized his wrist tightly and spoiled the threatened aim of his plasma pistol.

“I punish the Ghosts. Me. Not you. Besides, it’s a fething Baneblade, you moron. I’d be running too. Now, help me.”

Ibram Gaunt and Ciaphas Cain are easily two of the best characters to come out of Warhammer 40k.

That is all.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Okay, so the new Tome Keepers chapter the White Dwarf team has created features for the third time in the newest issue.

Yes, it still sounds suspiciously like the chapter we threw together over the course of a week in February and March of 2019. However, it is pretty cool.

This issue goes into how they chose the organization and iconography, and shows off their converted 3rd company captain, who is a PoC!

It's pretty neat. Even if they stole it from us. Lol

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Me right now

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477a24357c112948d9ddca4b051929e7957b8816a9&rid=giphy.gif

Weaver on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    There's a pseudo sequel coming out which is Blood Angels vs. Tyranids and most of the same VAs/production staff.

;)

• Options
    I've got a VA mic and a lot of sound proofing panels that I dont yet really have good way of setting up, but yo if you need a n extra voice please PM

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    There's a pseudo sequel coming out which is Blood Angels vs. Tyranids and most of the same VAs/production staff.

;)

Hook it up to my veins

Karl on
  • Options
    Oh dang, it's a Karl!

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

;)

Hook it up to my veins

I'm just really happy other people are getting excited for it too. It looks great and Helsreach is one of my favorite fanprojects.

• Options
    This is also cool!
    https://youtu.be/qWnYnXLR9rM

• Options
    After taking a break since about june, i finally started back up now that a bunch or orders from forge world and artel showed up

I got the solar auxilia storm section, and i'm converting them up to have a bunch of different special weapons. Since i might end up running the auxilia as scions, i've just been basing things off that.

Since i haven't really played since before command points and whatnot were a thing, i'm gonna dip back in with assembling a kill team.

I kinda just googled "scion kill team" and looked up the good lists for that and so it looks like 2 plasma guns, 2 volley guns, comms a leader and 2 troops.

I'm also pretty pleased with this little conversion with an extra volkite gun and about 3 different types of plastic tubes (the plastic tubes on q-tips are a super useful size but are also terrible because glue just doesn't stick to them and you really have to fuck around and you mostly end up making a kinda fragile thing)

bxaz9iip9y33.jpg

wabt0t1rrnd7.jpg

• Options
    Angels of Death trailers, the I'm guessing human captain of the battle barge, yes hi how did you get in my head

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

• Options
    https://28-mag.com/volumes/

Volume 3 has just been released. Probably some of the best INQ 28 modelling, with a bunch of great writing.

There's an article on romance between space marines that i haven't had the chance to read yet

• Options
    So I picked up Avenging Son on Audible (it was $30 on the Black Library app, no thanks!) and I actually liked it. I haven’t read much of the Black Library books; only the Dark Eldar omnibus (Andy Chambers) and the Grey Knights omnibus (Ben Counter). In both cases I was looking for more depth and setting insight than the respective codexes offered and in both cases I was mostly disappointed on that aspect but otherwise felt the narratives were entertaining enough to justify the purchases.

Previously I had picked up Crusade + Other Stories when it was available for $1 on the BL app and I felt I overpaid. It’s so awful: it reminds me of the Song of the Sorcelator storyline that Gabe & Tycho wrote specifically to mock poor writing. It turned me off of future BL purchases regardless of recommendation: “good for a Warhammer novel” was not good enough for my money. But eventually I gave in due to a combination of exhausting my backlog and this Goonhammer article:
    With that in mind, let’s talk about Avenging Son. As a stand alone it’s a solid book; as the start of a series it initially struggles with the weight placed on it before finding its stride in the back two thirds. Set at the end of the Battle for Terra, Avenging Son shows the Imperium caught at a critical moment in its future, detailing the start of Roboute’s new regime, the reveal of the Primaris project, a dive into the insane horror that is ‘normal’ bureaucratic life in the Imperium and the initial strike of the Crusade.

I talked about it a bit in the Critical Failures thread, so forgive me for rehashing a bit. Overall I liked the book and thought parts of it stood out enough to elevate the whole beyond the previous Warhammer books I’d read. The low points for me are what I consider the staple of Warhammer novels: epic descriptions of shit I already know about. The strength of Primaris Marines (who still get ripped apart by greater deamons since they lack an invul save), the insatiable bloodthirst of Khorne’s deamons (coincidentally called Bloodthirsters), and the great waste of the imperial bureaucracy (where there are bloody clan feuds over waste salvage rights). Actually I liked that last part because it was both novel and did a great job enhancing the particular story it was featured in. The parts of Avenging Son I really liked are the parts that give insight into life outside the games. Things like the being a cog in the machine of the bureaucracy, or a terrified LT of a routed platoon trying to find safety. There are some game-adjacent scenes I liked as well: the deck workers putting out fires in a hanger, heedless of a thrashing helldrake in its death throes because fire in a ship hanger is the bigger threat. A Tempestus Scion selected at random to die for his Emperor and doing so without any more pomp than arming his hellgun.

With my appetite whetted I went for the highly recommended Spears of the Emperor by ADB and let me tell you it doesn’t get the praise it deserves! I’d recommend it to non-Warhammer fans because it’s a great Science Fiction book, not just “good for a Warhammer book”. I couldn’t put it down and consumed it over the weekend as it accompanied my painting. I’m already making plans to paint an Emperor’s Spears detachment despite the disharmony between a melee focused chapter tactic and the Ultramarines successor chapter doctrine and stratagem support.

I’ve got a few audible credits remaining and an unending backlog of minis so what should I pick up from the black library next?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    ADB certainly is one of the better writers gw have. His nightlords books were fun I think.

honovere on
  • Options
  • Options
    They're getting it guys. They're really getting it. :D

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    They really ought to hire the guy who did Astartes and give him the budget to make a full-length movie.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oof, some of that looks rough, reminds me of the animation in Archer.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    They really ought to hire the guy who did Astartes and give him the budget to make a full-length movie.

I'm not sure where they announced this but I'm hearing that they were listening I guess, they made the astartes videos official and are hiring that guy to make videos for the tau now.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-animation-astartes/

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That's rad.

This discussion has been closed.