As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I'm reading the first Horus Heresy book. Has Horus already been corrupted before the books start?

Also I was wondering if anyone knows how fleshed out the Horus Heresy was at the beginning when 40K was first released? Do most of the intricate details come from stuff that's been released over the years?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    it was not fleshed out at all in the beginning, and it was iterated upon until the books established official canon

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think very very early on there were traitor marine legions but it was all different and like Ultramarines were traitors and stuff

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The canon's flip flopped a bit as well. The Horus Heresy novels have somewhat cemented "what actually happened" but even the Horus Heresy novels disagree with each other on points depending on who the in-universe perspective/real life author writer is.

Horus vs the Emperor is probably the one that's been messed with the most? I have my own preferred view of how it went down but I think that the novel writers, in attempting to fit as much of the bits in as possible, have made a mess of it. Mostly down to "who did Horus kill that made the Emperor mad?" He killed Sanguinius, a Custodes (may be misremembering this one), a regular human soldier, a Perpetual. All of these are meant to be the final moment when the Emperor realised that Horus was beyond help (also, if Emps is so careless about his science experiments, why the regret and hesitation? this one isn't a plot issue, it's genuinely one of the quite interesting questions about the Emperor). Having multiple final moments is just confusing. It works when there's one final moment and who is killed changes depending on the storyteller, it doesn't work when a Black Library author is trying to fit multiple final moments into one story. "You killed Sanguinius! The son most like me! Now you must... Wait! You also killed a random custodes/guardsman/perpetual soldier older than I am, now you've really crossed the line!"

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The canon's flip flopped a bit as well. The Horus Heresy novels have somewhat cemented "what actually happened" but even the Horus Heresy novels disagree with each other on points depending on who the in-universe perspective/real life author writer is.

Horus vs the Emperor is probably the one that's been messed with the most? I have my own preferred view of how it went down but I think that the novel writers, in attempting to fit as much of the bits in as possible, have made a mess of it. Mostly down to "who did Horus kill that made the Emperor mad?" He killed Sanguinius, a Custodes (may be misremembering this one), a regular human soldier, a Perpetual. All of these are meant to be the final moment when the Emperor realised that Horus was beyond help (also, if Emps is so careless about his science experiments, why the regret and hesitation? this one isn't a plot issue, it's genuinely one of the quite interesting questions about the Emperor). Having multiple final moments is just confusing. It works when there's one final moment and who is killed changes depending on the storyteller, it doesn't work when a Black Library author is trying to fit multiple final moments into one story. "You killed Sanguinius! The son most like me! Now you must... Wait! You also killed a random custodes/guardsman/perpetual soldier older than I am, now you've really crossed the line!"

I like to think the canon is in flux, not just from a literary perspective, but from the point of view of the characters themselves. That or it's Cypher messing with time travel.

As to what finally made the Emperor go full hog? Yeah, I preferred the versions where the Emperor was emotionally attached to his sons, but now I think that, when Emps saw Horus actually kill Ollanius Pius, he went "oh SHI- I could forever-die from this encounter!" and fired his lazor. His mind-lazor.

Really takes something out of the lore knowing that some people can just... regenerate. I wish the Emperor wasn't a Perp as well as being a psychic overbeing, it makes his life feel more important somehow.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    You know, Ollanus does make a lot of sense. I hadn't really considered it as I dislike Ollanus being a perpetual but it totally makes sense from a "the Emperor is an egotistical jerk" angle.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Also I was wondering if anyone knows how fleshed out the Horus Heresy was at the beginning when 40K was first released?
    If I remember correctly - and I could be very wrong, anyone who actually knows what's up please correct me - the Horus Heresy historical event was created in the late 80s when Warhammer 40k Epic came out.

While regular 40k is on the scale of a couple dozen soldiers (maybe) and a handful of tanks per side, Epic is played on the scale of hundreds of soldiers and dozens of tanks (and massive dropships, and gigantic Titan walkers, etc) per side. You couldn't really have 200 Space Marine minis on a table, so Epic required new miniatures: a tank the size of a regular 40k Space Marine; a 25mm base that had a whole squad of tiny Space Marines on it, that sort of thing.

When the game came out, they didn't have Epic-scale minis for every single faction; they just had Imperial units. If you wanted to play Epic, you had to play Empire vs. Empire. To explain why it made sense in-universe why these Space Marine squads were fighting each other, they just gave a hand-wavy one-line "Oh, yeah, there was like a civil war or whatever, and half the Empire turn baaaaaad. A long time ago. During the, uh... Horus... Heresy, the Horus Heresy, yeah, that's the ticket!"

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was either for epic/space marine or the original adeptus titanicus, as far as I remember

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I love that the most important thing to ever happen in Imperial history was made up for a game that nobody under the age of 50 has ever even heard of.

• Options
    With GWs focus on bigger models to appeal to collectors a lot of Epic stuff is coming back but at 25mm scale.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I love that the most important thing to ever happen in Imperial history was made up for a game that nobody under the age of 50 has ever even heard of.

I was about to argue this, then remembered I turned 50 at the beginning of March.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    It was before my time (I'm not even 40 yet), but I knew about it because I like reading up on the history of how these kinds of properties develop over time.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I do love how a lot of these things develop out of someone way back when writing a one-sentence lore description that they chose specifically because they liked the mouthfeel of the alliteration

“Horus Heresy” is a great collection of sounds

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I do love how a lot of these things develop out of someone way back when writing a one-sentence lore description that they chose specifically because they liked the mouthfeel of the alliteration

Ah, the Horus Heresy... or "Horusy", for short.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    It's also interesting to read about the more political satrical stories and charaters they did back at the beginning. Obviously the made some missteps with stuff but warhammer (fantasy) protagonists were often misfits and minorities raging against the machine.

If they did something equivalent now the next AoS campaign would be about Borish Jonsson, a corrupt Kharadron Overlord trying to blow up Aqshy by riling up some hordes of orcs to make his own person realm on one of the remnants.

honovere on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular

Isn't that the same thing as what happened with the clone wars and star wars? This one liner that just had to be fleshed out.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    It’s more like 40K was actually a highly generic sci-fi world before the Heresy was invented. With half elves and everything. Then Adeptus Titanicus came along and the Heresy was why Titans of the same manufacture were fighting each other. Then Epic Space Marine came out and suddenly there was a Siege of Terra with traitor and loyalist armies of every imperial sub-faction. Then 2nd edition 40K came out and all the old random role play baggage got swept away, and 40K became, more or less, what it is today.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    It's also interesting to read about the more political satrical stories and charaters they did back at the beginning. Obviously the made some missteps with stuff but warhammer (fantasy) protagonists were often misfits and minorities raging against the machine.

If they did something equivalent now the next AoS campaign would be about Borish Jonsson, a corrupt Kharadron Overlord trying to blow up Aqshy by riling up some hordes of orcs to make his own person realm on one of the remnants.

Say Mag Uruk Thrakka five times fast, then remember that the game was written by northern English anarcho-punks and Ghazghkull is best known for decimating mining settlements

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Say Mag Uruk Thrakka five times fast, then remember that the game was written by northern English anarcho-punks and Ghazghkull is best known for decimating mining settlements

Mag Uruk Thrakka you say...

warhammer-white_dwarf_81_thatcher_1986.jpg

• Options
    Or the campaign supplement were the leader of the dwarven miners is named after a union representative and the evil antagonist after a Tory minister.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    You know, Ollanus does make a lot of sense. I hadn't really considered it as I dislike Ollanus being a perpetual but it totally makes sense from a "the Emperor is an egotistical jerk" angle.

Humans having very rare, but battle turning Perpetuals marginally balances out the dumbest bits of the lore. All factions except the Imperium, which ostensibly was the strongest at one point in the setting, have literal, limitless reinforcement.

Daemons can't be permakilled with a few exceptions
    Nids have 100% bio conversion (absolute BS)
    Necrons don't actually die, just are damaged
    Orks grow from fungus creation ex nihilo
    Eldar live forever, same for Dark Eldar
    No one cares about the Tau

It just never made any sense whatsoever humanity was able to fight and win wars against enemies that just go, "lol, no I have more forces, u didn't win." Especially the non-sense from their own rule books which makes each faction in their eyes basically invincible.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    What do the perpetuals change about that? There are so few of them that it doesn't matter in that context I think. And humans have pretty much the same endless reinforcement bonus as other factions. The eldar really don't on the other hand. The can live very long natural lives but they don't get any reinforcements. And people do care about tau so dismissing them is for what reason? I don't really get the argument, maybe.

honovere on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The aeldari’s whole motivation is that they don’t have endless reinforcements

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The Imperium is like the West. Still around, not sustainable.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Putting your dumb spirit crystal in a robot is still immortality.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Soul stones can be shattered and the Infinity Circuit can be destroyed

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    What do the perpetuals change about that? There are so few of them that it doesn't matter in that context I think. And humans have pretty much the same endless reinforcement bonus as other factions. The eldar really don't on the other hand. The can live very long natural lives but they don't get any reinforcements. And people do care about tau so dismissing them is for what reason? I don't really get the argument, maybe.

Primarches are campaign winners, not all of them but a few are. Plus the Emperor is essentially a warp god himself these days. As I said, it makes things ever so slightly less lobsided, not equal. No one is "winning" 40k. Not even chaos. Every other faction has a BS, "you didn't win" come back mechanic. The only thing humans had until the perpetuals were breeding. And they can't even do that as well as other factions.

Since it was unclear, my initial point was only that things were so hilariously lobsided in favor against the Imperium, you wonder how they ever survived 10k years since the Heresy. No active Primarches early on, no perpetuals, just God's own infantry with a bayonet and a flak vest against unkillable demon spawn.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Putting your dumb spirit crystal in a robot is still immortality.

It’s also like being stuck in a sensory deprivation tank while being drip fed cocaine and lsd.

More importantly there’s definitely not an infinite number of them, robots or space elf soul batteries to power them. Maybe a few billion at best; Slaanesh ate the rest.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
  • Options
    IIRC perpetuals mess up seeing the future. Which makes them a spanner in the works of various factions plans. Though I can't quite remember the details.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I find Perpetuals a pretty lame lore component but I’m generally against total and perfect immortality as a concept, generally

But “Perpetual” is a great name for them, Games Workshop occasionally really nails their proper noun game when they’re not using bad Latin

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I find Perpetuals a pretty lame lore component but I’m generally against total and perfect immortality as a concept, generally

But “Perpetual” is a great name for them, Games Workshop occasionally really nails their proper noun game when they’re not using bad Latin

it's not exactly what I'd call 'perfect'

vulkan was captured and tortured for centuries and kinda went very insane

• Options
    also, pious is just a dude in a universe with building size bugs and hulking superman and immortal robot zombies and he gets pulled into helping a cabal of aliens help save the universe against his will

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i find it very funny that pious is apparently still a catholic

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think it was with a bunch of Penny Arcade guys on Champions Online that we made Imperial Guards and would just run around and rush enemies with our laserguns yelling about the Emperor

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I think it's rad especially considering the Emperor eradicated nearly all obvious traces signs of Earth's old religions. But he can't kill Pious and that just must smart E something fierce. As a believer, it's positively delicious.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    I think it's rad especially considering the Emperor eradicated nearly all obvious traces signs of Earth's old religions. But he can't kill Pious and that just must smart E something fierce. As a believer, it's positively delicious.

Olly is older than Big E and they knew each other

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I like the idea of there being a bunch of immortal human jerks and Emps just being the biggest jerk about it.

It also opens the door for the Primarchs to have an actual mom and for her to have an opinion on how all this bullshit has gone down.

august on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies, really interesting to see how it developed over time.

In other news Lord Kroak is getting a new model:

ffvbun7qn9ob.jpg

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's an awesome model. I still think they should bring back the Space Slann - Mayan-style psychic sci-fi lizards would be amazing. Chameleon Skinks with poison-needle guns and Kroxigor with heavy solar beam lazors. I'd 100% totally would buy that army in an instant.

This discussion has been closed.