As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Three [Movies] Outside Your Local Theater

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Finally watched Edge of Seventeen.

That was fucking great.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    JL talk can go in the JL thread so that this thread can be about other stuff

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »

Can it be about finding a ripe avocado?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    hey so my local cinema is just showing Inherent Vice again tonight, and I've never seen it and is it worth seeing?

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Thor was great! Good fun times!
    Honestly wanted more of the deep lore stuff on Asgard. Odin’s sordid past didn’t get enough screen time.

Thor losing the eye was honestly the first time I’ve gone “oh man they’re really actually going to wrap some stuff up here aren’t they”. Beginning of the end and all that.

Valkyrie was awesome, hope we get more of her. And hopefully Sif will show up again, seeing as how we didn’t see her untimely demise.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    more thoughts on three billboards:

i think what this movie really gets is a sense of that small town community becoming an ersatz family. ebbing is a place where people never visit, nor do they leave. everyone in this town has grown up with everyone else already being here. they all know each other. and so, what's driving the main conflict and where your sympathies lie isn't just in what you think of mildred or willowby, but it's being driven by mom and dad are fighting. and, from that lens, a lot of stuff just gets murky as hell. mcdonagh puts you into the heads of these people, and shit that should be objectively horrific just....slides off.
    the family aspect is especially hammered home by new black chief and penelope. to the characters, they are just completely unthinkable for kind of ugly reasons. but, to the viewer, they are also off, too. they aren't bad people, by any stretch, but their dialogue, how they interact, everything: they feel like they are from a different movie. they're stepdad and stepmom

there is a lot to be said about grief and loss in this movie, but that shit is raw and the movie wears it completely on it's sleeve, no matter how painful it may be. there is some beauty in it, but it is fleeting. mildred is more concerned with righteous fury, and the movie really wants you to examine what the hell that means.

the easiest way to really get what this movie is doing (and it's a lot) is to examine:
    dixon, the man no one should ever root for, but we wind up doing it anyway. he is a huge piece of shit, just awful. he's a racist. he's a homophobe. he's a goddamn bully. but he's also the biggest casualty in the war between mom and dad. he's your asshole idiot brother. deep down, he just wants to do one fucking thing right, and the fact he can't has lead him to lash out at everything. he's the guy you make excuses for. how couldn't mildred see something in that?

and, i could gush a lot more about so many individual bits. there is so much behind every scene, and the more i think about it, the more i love it.

like everything with mildred's ex husband still gets me

there is just so much to unpack

god

i think i am seeing this again wednesday

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Can it be about finding a ripe avocado?

what, just lying on the sidewalk or something?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    hey so my local cinema is just showing Inherent Vice again tonight, and I've never seen it and is it worth seeing?

it is...worth seeing in that I am happier for having seen it than having not seen it

I think it's a very complex and variotous failure

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i actively hated inherent vice and i can't even tell you why. it just went straight to my lizard brain and angried up my blood.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Inherent Vice...

I like the book

I hated the movie.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So we don't have a general theater thread (to my knowledge) so let me tell you about the play I just saw.

To support the high school students I work with I went to their last showing of a A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Some take-aways:

* The play opened with Puck performing a gangster rap.
    * Oberon was dressed like Elvis but spoke/acted in the style of William Shatner.
    * Nick Bottom was dressed just like Gaston.
    * Lysander and Demetrius, at one point, engaged in a lightsaber duel.

And it all worked, so my hat off to those teenagers.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Not really a JL comment but since Ben wants to stop playing the Bat Punisher I feel it's best to shelve Batman for a bit wait 5 or so years and do Batman Beyond.
    Show Batman is too old for this and needs to find a replacement show the world has changed so it's no longer Gotham as a microcosm, TO show things in the world in general effect Gotham and have in the past.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    That looks very very pretty.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm excited to see The Shape of Water next month

97% on RT

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So we don't have a general theater thread (to my knowledge) so let me tell you about the play I just saw.

To support the high school students I work with I went to their last showing of a A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Some take-aways:

* The play opened with Puck performing a gangster rap.
    * Oberon was dressed like Elvis but spoke/acted in the style of William Shatner.
    * Nick Bottom was dressed just like Gaston.
    * Lysander and Demetrius, at one point, engaged in a lightsaber duel.

And it all worked, so my hat off to those teenagers.

I love school theatre. I have a true and deep fondness for it.

I once saw a middle school production of The Hobbit that was absolutely incredible.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So people keep saying batmam was bad but i havent really seen why. Anyone wanna fill me in?
    Ben Affleck was sleepwalking through the film, he sounds bored, at best, through 90% of his lines

People say this about Harrison Ford constantly but I don’t really see it there either.

The rest of those points are pretty on, though.

Writers felt like they kinda didn’t know what to do with Batman outside of making him Q... except that Alfred was already Q.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhZ56rcWwRQ

I have to say, I have no idea if this movie is going to be good or not, but I think this trailer is absolutely terribly put together. It barely communicates the plot, and it just throws things at you incoherently.

Personally I would have started the trailer with the scene at the beginning of the novel with Meg and Charles Wallace's (who, by the way, has zero presence in the trailer for some reason) midnight snack and Mrs. Whatsit coming in, with the line "Speaking of ways, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract." before launching into the otherworldly stuff.

• Options
    What I remember of the book is that it was unbelievably hamfisted and sledgehammered every point it had, and took forever to get rolling.

That mostly sums up how I feel about that trailer.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I've never read the book or really even know the synopsis. But I think I got the gist of the plot? A girl's father gets lost due to his experiments in time and space and she and her friends go looking for him. Oprah is a Timelord.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Might be worth it just for Chris Pine and Oprah.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The child actors do not seem good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I've never read the book or really even know the synopsis. But I think I got the gist of the plot? A girl's father gets lost due to his experiments in time and space and she and her friends go looking for him. Oprah is a Timelord.

my extremely vague child-recollections of what I grasped of the plot was something like this but more trippy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The plot is not really that important, it's a real impressionistic book that spends a lot of time in the heads of the children who are a very very small part of a larger conflict that they don't really understand

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah that sounds like what I remember

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    All the "be a warrior" stuff makes me nervous that meg et all are going to be recruited into a bigger thing instead of just briefly brushing against it to save their dad from a great evil with the help of a few angels and then tap out

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Gonna see the Killing of a sacred Deer tonight. Girlfriend is a huge Lanthimos fan and I like the first half of the lobster. We’ll see how this one goes.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    honovere wrote: »
    Gonna see the Killing of a sacred Deer tonight. Girlfriend is a huge Lanthimos fan and I like the first half of the lobster. We’ll see how this one goes.

Maybe if it's over quickly enough you'll have time to watch a movie too.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    There a chance Thor 3 could be on Google Play by mid January

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »

Maybe if it's over quickly enough you'll have time to watch a movie too.

Depends. I'm hoping there's also the Roasting of a sacred Deer and the Eating of a sacred Deer.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

Yes, especially on the big screen.

It's not for everybody, and I think it worked better for me the second time around, but it's got a very unique feeling/tone that really worked for me.

Some movies feel like they're high. Inherent Vice is a very specific kind of trip.

Also, it's gorgeous.

• Options
    Pretty late to the conversation but I realized that I've never seen Suchet Poirot before watching the Branagh Version, only Ustinov. That was the version that was on TV a lot when I was young.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    How did we get to the point where a 94 million dollar opening weekend is widely seen as a failure

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    How did we get to the point where a 94 million dollar opening weekend is widely seen as a failure

I mean for most movies it isnt

But they spent 350 million on just the movie

Before advertising

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah they spent money with the assumption that they had an Avengers/star wars level property on their hands.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yeah they spent money with the assumption that they had an Avengers/star wars level property on their hands.

DC? they do but there are too many hands at the wheel and no one a proper navigator

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like part of the problem is that they just assume that Marvel has already laid the foundation by making comic book movies a big deal again, and that their characters have such an assumed automatic level of cultural penetration that they're already all set. I don't think either of those things is true.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I feel like the problem is that Warner/DC isn't really interested in making... good movies? And that nobody involved, aside from sometimes the actors, has any love for the characters.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I feel like Ben Affleck was probably more excited to play Batman than anyone who's done it (possibly excepting Adam West) and they made him want to stop after two movies soooooo yeah I feel comfortable saying the main problem is probably Warner Bros.

especially since they're literally always the problem, every time, forever

This discussion has been closed.