As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Celebrate the holidays with [TV] friends!

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I just finished watching S1 of The Good Place and uh, holy fuck, that was great?
    I was so focused on what i thought the show was doing thematically by showing that the points based system of morality a lot of people subscribe to is a hellish nightmare scenario

It never occurred to me to think that was exactly what it was without that second meta-layer of abstraction

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm now up to date on The Good Place
    Derek was funny, but also literally just his Adrian Pimento character from B99. Can't wait to see how Shawn showing up factors into things.
    I think he was WAY crazier than Pimento

Pimento was paranoid and liked to do coke

Derek introduced himself to plants and had a limited grasp on existence
    I think you're downplaying Pimento there, I could absolutely see him doing those things while coked up.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Saw that the Poirot collection jumped in price so gave up and subscribed to this britbox thing on Amazon.

Poirot is still good you all!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also the opening music is legit one of my favorite of any tv show.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I just finished watching S1 of The Good Place and uh, holy fuck, that was great?
    I was so focused on what i thought the show was doing thematically by showing that the points based system of morality a lot of people subscribe to is a hellish nightmare scenario

It never occurred to me to think that was exactly what it was without that second meta-layer of abstraction
    It does make we wonder how strict the Real Good Place is. Chidi still feels like a borderline case, but there could always be more flashbacks.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Jeffrey Tambor has been removed from the next season of Transparent

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Jeffrey Tambor has been removed from the next season of Transparent

I wonder what Star vs the forces of evil is gonna do.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Wait

The Punisher show is out already?

I haven't seen a single ad for it! Netflix covered the entire internet in Defenders schlock

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    They had to bump the initial release because it was right near one of the shootings, probably decided to tone down the advertising.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    They had to bump the initial release because it was right near one of the shootings, probably decided to tone down the advertising.

Oh that makes sense

But at the same time I'm amazed it came out at all, then

We have like one big shooting every other week, they really had to thread a needle there

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm digging The Gifted a lot; it's been a real pleasant surprise.

They keep exploring non-combat uses for the character's superpowers, which is a lot of fun. Keeps things fresh, and is the sort of small-scale creativity that the big spectacle movies don't often have room for.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm still enjoying The Gifted, but as it goes on it seems like they don't know what to do. A lot of repeat scenarios and character interactions

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

Oh that makes sense

But at the same time I'm amazed it came out at all, then

We have like one big shooting every other week, they really had to thread a needle there

I'm sure if someone wanted to they could count the number of major shootings during its production and it would be depressingly high.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Saw that the Poirot collection jumped in price so gave up and subscribed to this britbox thing on Amazon.

Holy shit nearly $300 for the blu-ray set?

And there I was complaining that $120 is too much for "Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series" blu-ray... it has dipped below $90 a few times now... I still haven't bought it... life is too expensive.

What was the lowest you've seen Poirot blu-ray set? I'm curious to know what I missed out on.

• Options
    gBAZ wrote: »

Holy shit nearly $300 for the blu-ray set?

And there I was complaining that $120 is too much for "Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series" blu-ray... it has dipped below $90 a few times now... I still haven't bought it... life is too expensive.

What was the lowest you've seen Poirot blu-ray set? I'm curious to know what I missed out on.

$160 was the lowest I've seen since I started looking.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Future Man on Hulu is weird. I'm about 4 episodes in, and it's kind of a parody of time-travel/apocalypse shows (even uses the Terminator 2 font), but it's played straight with a bunch of cursing and over-the-top violence. It's also self-aware insofar as the main character calls out the story to be a direct rip off of The Last Starfighter. And two characters have a conversation about the new present of Back to the Future in relation to changing the past.

It's not bad though. Cast is entertaining too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Derek was funny, but also literally just his Adrian Pimento character from B99. Can't wait to see how Shawn showing up factors into things.

I think you're downplaying Pimento there, I could absolutely see him doing those things while coked up.
    Every Jason Mantzoukas character I've seen has been a variation on that same theme.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Future Man on Hulu is weird. I'm about 4 episodes in, and it's kind of a parody of time-travel/apocalypse shows (even uses the Terminator 2 font), but it's played straight with a bunch of cursing and over-the-top violence. It's also self-aware insofar as the main character calls out the story to be a direct rip off of The Last Starfighter. And two characters have a conversation about the new present of Back to the Future in relation to changing the past.

It's not bad though. Cast is entertaining too.

The video game stuff is painful. I wish they'd just skipped it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey folks!

Was Planet Earth II good?

Because I loved the first season and the second one is on sale digitally on Amazon for $12.

Yay or nay?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Because I loved the first season and the second one is on sale digitally on Amazon for $12.

Yay or nay?

Yay. For this alone.

https://youtu.be/Rv9hn4IGofM

But don't expect to sleep ever again after watching.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Just a heads up for people that binge watch it as often as I do, Always Sunny is leaving Netflix entirely on December 9th.

It's still on Hulu but if you've only got Netflix you're in for a bad time.

jgeis on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Yay or nay?

Yay. For this alone.

I have a deep fear of snakes

This scene scared the SHIT out of me and I was not expecting it to, as I can normally do wildlife stuff with snakes no problem

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Yay or nay?

Yay. For this alone.

Oh hey, this is now one of my nightmares.

Cool, cool.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Just a heads up for people that binge watch it as often as I do, Always Sunny is leaving Netflix entirely on December 9th.

It's still on Hulu but if you've only got Netflix you're in for a bad time.

NO

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is your nightmare an iguana being chased by snakes, or like in the nightmare you are the iguana

Or...are you one of the snakes...

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Is your nightmare an iguana being chased by snakes, or like in the nightmare you are the iguana

I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

• Options

Zongual identifies deeply with an undulating swarm of hungry reptiles

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUNBpeUHKXQ&feature=youtu.be
    The internet got good again for a second

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

My nightmare is snakes emerging from everywhere you turn.

• Options

Every Jason Mantzoukas character I've seen has been a variation on that same theme.
    That's what I gathered after I discussed it with a colleague and she said he was the same in The League, which I haven't seen. It's not like he's the only actor with a specific style or that it's necessarily a bad thing, he just really stands out in that regard.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Riverdale:
    Girl 1: "GIRL 2 IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DOWNFALL OF MY FAMILY!"
    Girl 1's mother: "Do not do anything! Do not even bring this up to Girl 2!"

Next scene:

Girl 1: "GIRL 2, YOU ARE TERRIBLE!"
    Girl 2: "Yes, I am. So what?"
    *gratuitous high school sexy dance-off"

OK then.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    While I get why, from a business perspective, Netflix wants more original content, the binge-watching nature of that content means none of it sits in my life the way traditional tv does.
    Which in turn means that I doubt greatly that I'm going to keep caring about having Netflix as they lose more and more stuff in favor of their original content

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah. It's Always Sunny plays constantly when Im like cleaning. So that's a bummer.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Honestly the only thing really keeping me tethered to Netflix is the Office, and I fully expect that to jump to Hulu soon. And Hulu's doing some interesting original stuff, too (I'm really excited for Runaways)

• Options
    What's the deal with Search Party?

I thought it was on TBS but it seems very premium cable, lots of cursing and explicit stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The Speechless Thanksgiving episode was a delight

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Frank's parenting techniques could use a softer touch in episode 8 of The Punisher. I got total this is my dad vibes.

Not cool, bro.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    I finished season two of Haters Back Off!

It was a triumph.

But not for the faint of heart as it features maybe the worst father in television.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I can't even make it through a trailer of Haters Back Off

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.