As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That's why my LED's are ice blue. I got at least an extra 10,000 jiggahertz out of it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Good thing the front of my case has a blue LED, means I can slow down my GPU fan that's rattling to stop that and keep temps down still.

edited November 2017
    Not sure if everyone saw this:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/intel-warns-of-widespread-vulnerability-in-pc-server-device-firmware/

I would take steps to figure out if your system is vulnerable and get it patched if so. Probably will require a BIOS update.

e: Direct link to Intel's support page where the vulnerability checker is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27150
    Luckily my system is not vulnerable and has already been patched, either via Windows update or an Asus BIOS update.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Well my GTX1080 hasn't crashed yet, so I'm leaning towards the issue having been the motherboard all along, but it hasn't quite been long enough for me to roll out the mission accomplished banner.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I feel like we are in a bit of an echo chamber here on the Net Neutrality issue but I don't know anyone who is opposed to Net Neutrality other than the actual corporations. People I speak to are either pro-net neutrality or don't know what it is.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I feel like we are in a bit of an echo chamber here on the Net Neutrality issue but I don't know anyone who is opposed to Net Neutrality other than the actual corporations. People I speak to are either pro-net neutrality or don't know what it is.

Well, my Dad is. Because he read one article one time that mumbled something about it being bad for business and he refuses to budge regardless of any evidence I can provide to the contrary.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Well my GTX1080 hasn't crashed yet, so I'm leaning towards the issue having been the motherboard all along, but it hasn't quite been long enough for me to roll out the mission accomplished banner.
    ag5aqchpo0mi.png

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There are some decent arguments to be made for being anti net-neutrality.

However, they exist only in a perfect world. What will happen is, because of artificial monopolies set up by the cable companies and other large telcos, they will push together and just start milking you for all the cash they can get away with.

Call your lawmakers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    That's laissez faire capitalism in a nutshell. In a perfect world, with perfect actors, acting in good faith, it works wonderfully!

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Damn missed the RGB discussion.

Was going to suggest using energon pink to keep your overclocked system sufficiently powered

:P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    SSD drives are supposed to have really good shelf life, right? So a big SSD will probably be able to work through a couple builds?

Basically there's a shop here that has a 30% discount on Crucial SSDs and I'm considering whether spending the large chunk of moneys it would take to buy a 1TB one.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Posting from new motherboard, everything seems to be working thus far and my idle temps would appear to indicate I didn't fuck up the new paste. Time to spend some time playing vidyagames to see if the GPUs are still playing stability games with me, or if it was all a hoax by the old board.

I've made it two days without the GPU crashing, so I am officially updating my computer status to the quantum superposition of "fixed until it isn't"

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    SSD drives are supposed to have really good shelf life, right? So a big SSD will probably be able to work through a couple builds?

Basically there's a shop here that has a 30% discount on Crucial SSDs and I'm considering whether spending the large chunk of moneys it would take to buy a 1TB one.

A quality SSD should last effectively forever. Like, to the point where the file system on the drive is no longer supported by the current breed of operating systems.

This is why I'm going to brave my local Best Buy on Friday or Saturday. They have a SanDisk 960GB on clearance for $199 that I saw when I was last there. If no one notices between now and then, I'm considering it divine guidance.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

A quality SSD should last effectively forever. Like, to the point where the file system on the drive is no longer supported by the current breed of operating systems.

Good to hear. Crucial is generally a decent drive manufacturer, right? I know people usually recommend Samsung EVO, but the difference is like a +40% in price.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited November 2017
    Crucial still produces reliable value-tier RAM, so I have no concerns recommending them as a SSD manufacturer.

Also, for those of you with a friend looking for a desktop refresh, I have a code to knock $50 off this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=n82e16883221371

Yes, the vidcard is dated, and I can't find details about the PSU, but it's a very capable machine for the price.

Mugsley on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Good to hear. Crucial is generally a decent drive manufacturer, right? I know people usually recommend Samsung EVO, but the difference is like a +40% in price.

Yeah their shelf life is measured in about 100 years now.

Much more stable than platter drives that have that burn in period where it has like a 35% chance to fail within the first few months.

I rank SSDs as the following (there's some brand loyalty here so be skeptical of it):
    1. Samsung Pro
    2. Corsair
    3. Intel
    4. Samsung EVO
    5. Crucial
    6. OCZ
    7. WD

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I say for now because I need more cable combs to really level out the cables the way I want (I just ordered a set) and I'm not sure I'm done with the lighting.

What cable combs are you using? I realized I forgot to get some of those while I was working my Hackintosh build, which is sadly still in progress. My first motherboard had a dead DIMM slot, and my first CPU was defective in some way that manifested by blue-screening during the Win 10 installer.

So... waiting on a replacement CPU.

Bleh.

Me: "Hey [friend] I can get this prebuilt for $450 and it solves all your problems"

Friend: "Hm...it says no expansion slots and do I need a sound card? What if I want to add more things later. And the vidcard isn't as good as what you linked in another build"

THE SFF BUILD YOU HAVE NOW HASNT BEEN TOUCHED IN 5 YEARS, HAS AN AMD APU WITH NO VIDCARD, AND HAS 2GB RAM STOP FAKING LIKE YOU CARE SO MUCH.

htm wrote: »
    I say for now because I need more cable combs to really level out the cables the way I want (I just ordered a set) and I'm not sure I'm done with the lighting.

What cable combs are you using? I realized I forgot to get some of those while I was working my Hackintosh build, which is sadly still in progress. My first motherboard had a dead DIMM slot, and my first CPU was defective in some way that manifested by blue-screening during the Win 10 installer.

So... waiting on a replacement CPU.

I'm using the CableMod E-Series ones, as they were made for the specific cables I bought.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    New PC bought

hype levels to max.

I went I5 8400
    GTX 1070ti
    16 gb 2666Hz
    1 TB firecuda SSHD

I've saved money on the HDD and CPU and diverted that into the GPU.

I know SSD's are way better but fuck me they're not cheap

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I went I5 8400
    GTX 1070ti
    16 gb 2666Hz
    1 TB firecuda SSHD

I've saved money on the HDD and CPU and diverted that into the GPU.

I know SSD's are way better but fuck me they're not cheap

But I think you'll find that here everyone will universally say that they are 100% worth it. I wont' run on a spinning hard drive again.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Yeah... at the very least a 64GB drive to run the system off of it does wonders.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Are there any processors, motherboards, or combination of the two on sale now that anyone recommends? I'm thinking of building a new machine next year.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Are there any processors, motherboards, or combination of the two on sale now that anyone recommends? I'm thinking of building a new machine next year.

That's a question worth asking when you're actually looking to buy parts, because the answers could change between now and then.

The best thing to go in with is a budget and a "I'm ready to buy now" mentality.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    I may upgrade to a SSD at a later date but it'll do for now

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

That's a question worth asking when you're actually looking to buy parts, because the answers could change between now and then.

The best thing to go in with is a budget and a "I'm ready to buy now" mentality.

I see. My plan is to do so in approximately May or June, before I might depart the country for a while.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    God I hope Vega G2 stomps the 1080TI so nVidia will hurry the fuck up and release consumer Volta cards.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So there's a deal over on Amazon that caught my eye and my wife told me to go find a Christmas gift, so combined with a pile of Amazon gift card money and the budget she gave me for my big Christmas gift, I did this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($155.49 @ Amazon)
    Total: $509.47
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-24 11:59 EST-0500

I adjusted the prices there, plus there was taxes, so that may vary for anyone else out there.

I'll just rip out my old stuff and replace with this, keep up with my video card upgrades every 2-3 years probably next year. I have a 970 that I'm still happy with for now. And I have all the storage and periphals I could hope for assuming no failures.

Pretty excited! Everything should get here by the end of next week. Woohoo!

edited November 2017
    I may upgrade to a SSD at a later date but it'll do for now

This should not be a maybe. An SSD is the single biggest leap in general performance most people can enjoy today. More than a CPU, more than a GPU, certainly more than RAM, an SSD will take any machine without one and instantly make it a more responsive, less frustrating experience. Full stop. Your budget was a bit tighter than most so I think you made sensible choices out of the gate, but the absolute next thing you should do that machine is get an SSD to use as your primary OS drive at the very least. If you can swing it, get something large enough to hold the OS and a couple of your most played games and most used programs. You'll pretty much immediately see what we're all talking about from the first time you boot off an SSD.

Nice choice! The 1700 is a really good value chip if you can use the cores.

One thing though, Ryzen benefits greatly from faster RAM. You would do yourself a service if you could swing replacing that 2400mhz RAM with 3000mhz RAM, which is the sweet spot for Ryzen. It goes against all normal advice ("RAM speed doesn't matter much, if at all!"), but because of the way AMD's Infinity Fabric (fancy name for their die interconnect) works, faster RAM speed absolutely means something.

GnomeTank on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Now that you can get a workstation sized SSD for around 100 bucks, its a no-brainer. I do IT for a bunch of local businesses. In that I spend a lot of time working on slow-ass PCs that have plenty of CPU and RAM but are kneecapped by spinning platter drives. Every single person I upgrade to an SSD is blown away at the performance increase. Getting an SSD REALLY is the most noticeable upgrade anyone could put into nearly any PC. It's not gonna give you more FPS in games, but it'll improve the performance of basically everything else. IDK about you but I spend more time doing daily computing tasks than playing games. I'd be far more inclined at this point to skimp on other parts if it can get you an SSD now.

You've all put forward a very convincing argument

And to be fair my work laptop has a SSD and it's super quick

I've amended my order and gone 1 x 250GB SSD (samsung evo) and a platter 1tb as my media drive (for docs and music etc).

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Nice choice! The 1700 is a really good value chip if you can use the cores.

One thing though, Ryzen benefits greatly from faster RAM. You would do yourself a service if you could swing replacing that 2400mhz RAM with 3000mhz RAM, which is the sweet spot for Ryzen. It goes against all normal advice ("RAM speed doesn't matter much, if at all!"), but because of the way AMD's Infinity Fabric (fancy name for their die interconnect) works, faster RAM speed absolutely means something.

Yeah, I realized that but I had to squeeze into the budget this time. When I upgrade video card I'll probably do the RAM too by selling this RAM(hopefully). We'll see how the performance goes though. I'm thinking I'm probably okay with my current usage (again, hopefully).

You've all put forward a very convincing argument

And to be fair my work laptop has a SSD and it's super quick

I've amended my order and gone 1 x 250GB SSD (samsung evo) and a platter 1tb as my media drive (for docs and music etc).

You will not be disappointed. I think this is a far better setup than a hybrid drive. Good choice.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Now that you can get a workstation sized SSD for around 100 bucks, its a no-brainer. I do IT for a bunch of local businesses. In that I spend a lot of time working on slow-ass PCs that have plenty of CPU and RAM but are kneecapped by spinning platter drives. Every single person I upgrade to an SSD is blown away at the performance increase. Getting an SSD REALLY is the most noticeable upgrade anyone could put into nearly any PC. It's not gonna give you more FPS in games, but it'll improve the performance of basically everything else. IDK about you but I spend more time doing daily computing tasks than playing games. I'd be far more inclined at this point to skimp on other parts if it can get you an SSD now.

even in games you will see bonuses - not more FPS, but loading times will drastically decrease. Loading screens, barring online loading type stuff, will be very fast. Starting the game up from windows will be very fast.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Platter drives have been the single biggest bottleneck to PC performance since the mid 2000's.

Now we've got M.2 raid arrays that blow the doors off SSD arrays, from what I've heard.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Platter drives have been the single biggest bottleneck to PC performance since the mid 2000's.

Now we've got M.2 raid arrays that blow the doors off SSD arrays, from what I've heard.

Once you pay for your Intel m2 raid DLC.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm looking into making an Intel/Nvidia computer but I don't want to have to go through delidding, are the Intel CPUs you have to delid the most recent ones or the previous ones?

You don't need to delid the current ones if you're not overclocking

This discussion has been closed.