As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Hmm, a favored PC modding/custom watercooling store is having an anniversary sale, and I'm debating swapping out the 120mm radiator in my loop for a 240mm for around $70. That would give me dual 240mm radiators. My temps when gaming are roughly high 40's to low 50's on my CPU and GPU, so it's not as if the performance isn't good enough. Still, I'm wondering if going to dual 240's would allow me to keep all of my fans at 800rpm, get slightly lower temps overall, and fully balance the airflow in and out my case. The additional cooling will also be good for when I turn my CPU overclock back up come Winter.

Hm.. I am really tempted by this sale.

I picked up a 1080Ti from EVGA on the 4th of July and it was bundled with a free waterblock.

I haven't installed the block yet because I was pretty sure I'd make the 90-day step up window -- since 90 days from my purchase date is Oct 1. And I don't want to undo it and put back on the ICX cooler just to ship it back.

I'm not sure if the eventual EVGA 2080 will fit their 1080 block but it was free, so whatever.

I do know I may likely need another radiator once I add the 2080 into my loop. Because I only have a slim 30mm 360mm crossflow radiator at the moment.

For now there's a 45mm 360 Alphacool NexXxos sitting in my cart. And I'm mulling it over, with fittings, plugs, and new UV concentrate its gonna be about $160 shipped.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Hmm, a favored PC modding/custom watercooling store is having an anniversary sale, and I'm debating swapping out the 120mm radiator in my loop for a 240mm for around $70. That would give me dual 240mm radiators. My temps when gaming are roughly high 40's to low 50's on my CPU and GPU, so it's not as if the performance isn't good enough. Still, I'm wondering if going to dual 240's would allow me to keep all of my fans at 800rpm, get slightly lower temps overall, and fully balance the airflow in and out my case. The additional cooling will also be good for when I turn my CPU overclock back up come Winter.

Hm.. I am really tempted by this sale.

I picked up a 1080Ti from EVGA on the 4th of July and it was bundled with a free waterblock.

I haven't installed the block yet because I was pretty sure I'd make the 90-day step up window -- since 90 days from my purchase date is Oct 1. And I don't want to undo it and put back on the ICX cooler just to ship it back.

I'm not sure if the eventual EVGA 2080 will fit their 1080 block but it was free, so whatever.

I do know I may likely need another radiator once I add the 2080 into my loop. Because I only have a slim 30mm 360mm crossflow radiator at the moment.

For now there's a 45mm 360 Alphacool NexXxos sitting in my cart. And I'm mulling it over, with fittings, plugs, and new UV concentrate its gonna be about $160 shipped.

Having dealt with EVGA's RMA service and had multiple bad experiences I wouldn't dare put the block on the card unless you were 100% sure you are going to keep it. Any minor damage both physical or cosmetic, either by you or their technicians, is grounds for warranty and likely step-up program denial. So personally I'd hold onto the 1080ti as is using the stock cooler and wait to see if EVGA's card come out within the step-up window time frame.

I've been looking around the site seeing what else I might want to buy while the sale is going on, and as much as I'd like to buy a bunch of Heatkiller stuff for future use it's very likely it'll be years before I use any of it. Dual 360's is what I'd like to use in a custom, ideally one thick and one thin case permitting. All that stuff for $160 is a good deal too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Leak from the guy who originally leaked info about the 2080 is that the 2060 is a GTX card that is about as fast as a 1080.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I think the rumor mill is going off the rails. While I don't doubt that they have the tech, I also don't think NVIDIA would self cannibalize the ability to sell up to that incrementally. They are for profit and a public company.

So it's going to be marginal gains across the stack. And I'm also really dubious that some of today's rumors like the Ti variant being launched from the get go are going to ring true.

AMD focused most of their efforts on the CPU side, and being a smaller company than their competitors, they don't have much of anything that can touch NVidia's current market position. Their stated aim earlier in the year from the Radeon division was to bring GTX 1080 level performance to the $250 price point. So I can buy NVidia doing just that with the GTX 2060 as a way of heading them off. But there's a lot of performace differential between the 1080 and 1080Ti.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Leak from the guy who originally leaked info about the 2080 is that the 2060 is a GTX card that is about as fast as a 1080 ti.

:o

Maybe I'll hold off on buying this 1070ti for a few days...

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I've never tried pre-ordering GPU, or any PC part at launch.

I've heard they can usually sell out fast though.

I'm hoping I'll be able to order a EVGA 2080 before they pre-sell out.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Also, leaked i9 9900k specs say they are finally getting soldered heat spreaders. That only took 6 years.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Leak from the guy who originally leaked info about the 2080 is that the 2060 is a GTX card that is about as fast as a 1080 ti.

Oops I meant 1080.

Sorry lack of sleep and a rough work week.

Which is still impressive!

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Also, leaked i9 9900k specs say they are finally getting soldered heat spreaders. That only took 6 years.

Which could be good, or a signal that their other thermal solution was completely failing.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I think the rumor mill is going off the rails. While I don't doubt that they have the tech, I also don't think NVIDIA would self cannibalize the ability to sell up to that incrementally. They are for profit and a public company.

So it's going to be marginal gains across the stack. And I'm also really dubious that some of today's rumors like the Ti variant being launched from the get go are going to ring true.

AMD focused most of their efforts on the CPU side, and being a smaller company than their competitors, they don't have much of anything that can touch NVidia's current market position. Their stated aim earlier in the year from the Radeon division was to bring GTX 1080 level performance to the $250 price point. So I can buy NVidia doing just that with the GTX 2060 as a way of heading them off. But there's a lot of performace differential between the 1080 and 1080Ti.

Keep in mind that the 1070 was just a hair better than the 900-series Titan, trading blow for blow with the 980ti. It's not all that farfetched.

That said, I'm definitely sticking with my 1080ti for now. I'm fine to wait until the 2180ti or whatever.

• Options

Oops I meant 1080.

Figured as much.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Oops I meant 1080.

Figured as much.

Which is quite good. Its a GTX, which means it'll bring raster GPUs as strong as the 1080 down to a XX60 pricepoint.

Now, on the RTX, does the inclusion of ray tracing and AI cores as opposed to simply brute forcing more CUDA cores mean significantly reduced value for miners?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Friends, is the consensus that it would be silly to buy any high end GPU before new lines are announced on Monday? Presumably we'll see further discounts on 1080/1080ti's right?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't believe 980s dropped prices just because 1080s came out. Any lower price now is because crypto bottoms out or supply out paces demand.

It won't hurt to wait. But you're unlikely to see much of a discount. At least not right away.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Friends, is the consensus that it would be silly to buy any high end GPU before new lines are announced on Monday? Presumably we'll see further discounts on 1080/1080ti's right?

Prices probably won't drop immediately

But the lower end cards in the next gen might have comparable performance to the current gen's higher end cards for a lower price

Like the 2060 might perform similarly to the 1080, but cheaper

That's the hope anyway

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't believe 980s dropped prices just because 1080s came out. Any lower price now is because crypto bottoms out or supply out paces demand.

It won't hurt to wait. But you're unlikely to see much of a discount. At least not right away.

If that's the case, this GPU + PSU bundle at BH photo seems like a good deal right?

For those that don't want to follow the link, it's an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 + EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 750W Power Supply for $680 total.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    Woops. I bought the larger add-on radiator for my loop without checking to see if it would actually fit in my case with all of my hard drives. Come to find out after measuring that it wont. Now I have to decide whether to cancel the order or buying a single larger hard drive, moving terabytes of files around, and re-configuring my case to make it all fit. Third option would be to make my unused HTPC into a file server (or Freenas box), but that also means another PC drawing power since it'll likely be left on all the time. Honestly though, I think the best solution right now it to just cancel the order since the sale only saved me $12. Whatever cooling improvements I may have gotten are not worth the hassle or expense of making it fit. :(

• Options
    Woops. I bought the larger add-on radiator for my loop without checking to see if it would actually fit in my case with all of my hard drives. Come to find out after measuring that it wont. Now I have to decide whether to cancel the order or buying a single larger hard drive, moving terabytes of files around, and re-configuring my case to make it all fit. Third option would be to make my unused HTPC into a file server (or Freenas box), but that also means another PC drawing power since it'll likely be left on all the time. Honestly though, I think the best solution right now it to just cancel the order since the sale only saved me $12. Whatever cooling improvements I may have gotten are not worth the hassle or expense of making it fit. :(

Alternatively you could keep that radiator, you never know when, in a fit of pique and summer heat you may just mount your rads externally (relative to your actual home).

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    AbUMMBc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

My wallet is going to be begging for mercy before this year is up

iRevert on
  • Options
    iRevert wrote: »
    AbUMMBc.jpg

Awesome, congratulations!!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

If that's the case, this GPU + PSU bundle at BH photo seems like a good deal right?

For those that don't want to follow the link, it's an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 + EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 750W Power Supply for $680 total.

Well, I stopped paying attention to GPUs once I got mine, but a cursory check shows that card being ~$100 more than that deal. So, throw in a PSU and it does look pretty good.

If you need/want both then it's probably okay to pull the trigger if you can afford it since a better price or combo might not be worth the effort.

• Options

Well, I stopped paying attention to GPUs once I got mine, but a cursory check shows that card being ~$100 more than that deal. So, throw in a PSU and it does look pretty good.

If you need/want both then it's probably okay to pull the trigger if you can afford it since a better price or combo might not be worth the effort.

I'm going to go for a run, and if it's not sold out when I get back I'll probably just pull the trigger. Using up some gift cards...

• Options
    I don't know anything about the seller either, so if they're good too, then go for it.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options

Awesome, congratulations!!

It seems like it till you start thinking about DDR4 prices for a new build and then the pricing on the 20xx cards...

But in all seriousness it was a neat surprise to see that happen.
    I don't know anything about the seller either, so if they're good too, then go for it.

B&H is good to go, they're an actual B&M store and I order from them multiple times per year.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I recently had to buy a new TV (stupid break-ups forcing me to upgrade) and got one through Dell thanks to their no interest financing. They also threw in a gift card and rewards credit.

They also dropped a PNY GTX 1070Ti to $400, and since I figured they won't have the 20XX cards in stock before my rewards expired, I pulled the trigger.

After my promo credits/gift cards and selling my 1060 6GB, it'll be like a $100 upgrade.

• Options
    B&H is pretty much THE go to photography store in North America if not the world and has been for at least 30 years. While I've never bought consumer electronics or PC components from them I've bought the majority of my cameras and photography related things for both personal and work use.

• Options
    I've changed my mind, promo runs until Monday evening, so I will see if prices change post announcement. I'm an adult, I mostly don't impulse buy random stuff

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    AbUMMBc.jpg

Congrats man. I just built a new system with that chip and it flies. And it's not like you have to build the entire thing right away.

253J736.png
  • Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    Need some help finding a cheap motherboard for a server.

Doesn't need to be top of the line. Will run Server 2012 r2 and 2 SQL instances. 1 will be a video conference software that probably won't see more than a few connections at one time.

I've been using Supermicro X7SBE motherboards in the past but want something newer without breaking the bank. Something compatible with PSU's that work with that motherboard would be preferable.

Needs to have a built in RAID controller.

Thanks!

• Options
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Congrats man. I just built a new system with that chip and it flies. And it's not like you have to build the entire thing right away.

What DDR4 did you end up using 3000? 3200? That's about the only variable for me right now other than deal watching till Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I might even consider cannibalizing the 2600k though I wouldn't see much in terms of an FPS gain in games, but some of the performance issues people were having in BFV have got me thinking.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »

What DDR4 did you end up using 3000? 3200? That's about the only variable for me right now other than deal watching till Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I might even consider cannibalizing the 2600k though I wouldn't see much in terms of an FPS gain in games, but some of the performance issues people were having in BFV have got me thinking.

I'm running 3000, there really wasn't any need to go to 3200 as the cost benefit wasn't even close. I was running the bfv beta on maxed settings with absolutely no problems (1080p, don't have a monitor or need to go higher yet). This is with a GTX 1080.

My brother is using my old system with a GTX 970 and was running it very well too.

253J736.png
  • Options
    There were issues at 1440 in certain areas of the map that people were tanking framerates with 1080ti so I don't know till the beta rolls out and/or the WW3 open access hits.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Zotac 2080Ti rumored to cost $1199

hey

hey nVidia
    fuck youuuuuuuuuu

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

hey

hey nVidia
    fuck youuuuuuuuuu

"people were paying this because of crypto miners, I bet we can keep milking that cow!"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

hey

hey nVidia
    fuck youuuuuuuuuu

"people were paying this because of crypto miners, I bet we can keep milking that cow!"

Also: fuck youuuuuuuuuu

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

hey

hey nVidia
    fuck youuuuuuuuuu

Also: fuck youuuuuuuuuu

Lastly: fuuuuuuuuuuck you, Nvidia.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    One more hour until Nvidia's keynote presentation starts. Should be a ton of info coming out of that; I'll be watching a liveblog.

• Options

Alternatively you could keep that radiator, you never know when, in a fit of pique and summer heat you may just mount your rads externally (relative to your actual home).

Possibly not the smartest financial decision but I decided to keep the order for the radiator. That means I'll also have to buy a 8TB hard drive so I can combine the files from two 4TB's (I'm a media horder). Still, that should mean I'm set for storage for a long time, and now have a free 4TB drive (the other will replace a 3/4 full 3TB) that I can use as another layer of backup for files and media I don't need regular access to. I will have to move some panels around in my Fractal R6 to make this work, but that also means I'll be able see more of the hoses and radiators which is cool. A much as I'd like to have an open loop setup for this computer it doesn't make sense right now to put that kind of money into this computer so this is the next best thing.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Oh hey there's also a livestream

This discussion has been closed.