As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    There's someone near me selling their used GTX 980 for $200. It doesn't look like it came from a (serious, at least) mining operation and the listing says that it was just replaced as part of an upgrade.

A 980 would be a decent step up in performance from my 1050 Ti, and $200 is pretty cheap for a used 980. The 1050 Ti is a little price inflated right now too, so I should be able to sell it on eBay or CL for most/all of the cost of the 980.

Like, at $200 I feel like it's worth it, but I'm hesitant to buy a used GPU.

I'm a lot less optimistic about your warranty chances than other people are (you are at the mercy of the actual manufacturer at all), but that doesn't change the fact that a GTX 980 is still a very robust card, especially at 1080p. I'd suggest doing some research with the supplier to see if they would still cover it considering where you bought it in case something goes wrong, but if you're comfortable with that, you're getting a good card for $200. The 9 and 10-series cards really haven't declined in price the way we would've seen in the past.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I'm going to go for it. The 980 is still a very powerful card and I'm not going to leave 1080p anytime soon. Looking at benchmarks, the 980 can do between 25-40fps more at 1080p (depending on tbe game) than the 1050 ti. That's a substantial boost.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've got a 980. It's a 1080p powerhouse but 1440p kicks it's ass.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey could I get halp on a PC build? It's been years and I know basically nothing now. Lady Raven's laptop broke, and we're thinking about replacing it with a fancy tower. It's gonna be connected to our living room TV, as the laptop was. Budget is 1000, but I'd hope for closer to 500.

Benchmark is playing Overwatch gud on a 1080 screen! I was looking at this guide

http://www.logicalincrements.com/games/overwatch

But all the linked parts are actually much pricier than indicated on the chart. I guess due to bitcoin mining sucking up hardware? Ech!

Anyone got recommendations for a decent graphics card in the 3-4gb range that isn't massively inflated right now? Cheers <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    and actually, I just remembered this. I know a guy on a 3570 and a GTX 1060 6GB. He told me yesterday that his average framerates on HOTS went from 80 to 50 after applying the patch.

That seems.... significant.

Not to call your friend out, but I call total bull on this. Nothing about kernel page table access would cause you to lose 30 frames of compute power. This is not a compute bound problem and never was. It's an I/O bound problem and HOTS doesn't do that kind of I/O. I buy it when people say they lose 10% performance in Witcher 3 because Witcher 3 is constantly streaming in level data so constantly causing kernel page table swaps. 40% frame drops in HOTS? Not buying it. Either something else is causing it, or your friend saw 50 frames one time and knee jerked.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Hey could I get halp on a PC build? It's been years and I know basically nothing now. Lady Raven's laptop broke, and we're thinking about replacing it with a fancy tower. It's gonna be connected to our living room TV, as the laptop was. Budget is 1000, but I'd hope for closer to 500.

Benchmark is playing Overwatch gud on a 1080 screen! I was looking at this guide

But all the linked parts are actually much pricier than indicated on the chart. I guess due to bitcoin mining sucking up hardware? Ech!

Anyone got recommendations for a decent graphics card in the 3-4gb range that isn't massively inflated right now? Cheers <3

Since you're planning on putting this in your living room, I'd recommend looking at HTPC cases, like the Shift/Shift X. They will be a bit pricier, but are designed to fit in better.

As for video cards, you may want to wait for the new Ryzen APUs to hit the market - these will have Vega cores built in, allowing you to forgo a discrete video card.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Wow Royce, post a build post but do not post the actual build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VQ9ym8

Thoughts on this, buying video card later at best price

8 gigs of RAM is pretty low, I would try for at least 16 nowadays on anything but the most budget of PCs. Do you really need a DVD drive?

Keep in mind that the Ryzen chips don't have graphics built in, so you will need a video card to do anything with that build.

A 1050ti should handle Overwatch at 1080p with decent graphics settings (I've heard you can expect 60FPS even on High/Ultra) but yeah, basically every video card is super inflated right now thanks to the crypto boom.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2018
    So my monitor died a couple of months ago and right now I have a borrowed screen a friend will probably want back some time soon, so I'm looking at new screens.

Right now I'm looking at an AOC AGON AG271QG, but I see there's also the AG271UG model that's actual 4k, and they both have G-Sync -- and more importantly, right now they happen to have the exact same price at my local store.

Found some comparison site that puts specs side by side. Seems the 4k version has 15ms input lag while the other one is 4ms, otherwise I can't really spot any real difference apart from one being 4k.

Any particular opinions one way or the other? 4k would be nice, but not massively important.

edit: ah, now I spotted the 60Hz vertical refresh on the 4k UG model. Yeah, think I'll go for the QG model then.

Echo on
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    So my monitor died a couple of months ago and right now I have a borrowed screen a friend will probably want back some time soon, so I'm looking at new screens.

Right now I'm looking at an AOC AGON AG271QG, but I see there's also the AG271UG model that's actual 4k, and they both have G-Sync -- and more importantly, right now they happen to have the exact same price at my local store.

Found some comparison site that puts specs side by side. Seems the 4k version has 15ms input lag while the other one is 4ms, otherwise I can't really spot any real difference apart from one being 4k.

Any particular opinions one way or the other? 4k would be nice, but not massively important.

edit: ah, now I spotted the 60Hz vertical refresh on the 4k UG model. Yeah, think I'll go for the QG model then.

I'd go with the one with a higher refresh rate. Not many people have a PC that can handle 4k.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, I decided for the 165Hz one.

• Options
    Some_tall_guySome_tall_guy Registered User regular
    So I'm finally putting together my new build after putting it off for a couple years. I've picked up a Fractal Define Mini MATX case and a ryzen 1700x. Since the CPU doesn't come with a heatsink, I'll need to pick one up. I've always used the stock one that came with my old intel CPUs so I'm not exactly sure what I need to look for when buying one. I'm not looking to do any crazy overclocking for now so I don't need anything fancy.

Any recommendations?

LOL ZEALURKS
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So I'm finally putting together my new build after putting it off for a couple years. I've picked up a Fractal Define Mini MATX case and a ryzen 1700x. Since the CPU doesn't come with a heatsink, I'll need to pick one up. I've always used the stock one that came with my old intel CPUs so I'm not exactly sure what I need to look for when buying one. I'm not looking to do any crazy overclocking for now so I don't need anything fancy.

Any recommendations?

The main thing to keep in mind with a smaller case is the height of the cooler. Based on the info on the Fractal Design website, the max height is 170mm. If you don't plan on any heavy overclocking, something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or a Cryorig H7 should be okay. Or you can always go with an AIO cooler like a Corsair H100i or a Kraken x62.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The 212 Evo is what I've got on my Ryzen 3 1200 and even when max overclocked (3.95Ghz) it stays nice and cool (~39°C idle, ~77° under stress test load). The 1700X will stress it more under really heavy load, but expect to be able to overclock it pretty well if you wish.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I just noticed that ASUS released a BIOS update that includes a fix for 'Updated Intel CPU microcode.' So if you haven't been doing so, or haven't been recently, double check your MB maker has done so, too.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well, I caved. 8700k and MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon are on their way to me. Figure I'll be picking up the RAM next weekend or so.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So apparently Chromecasts and Google Homes queue up packet requests and execute them all at once when they wake from sleep. (this will be cross-posted)

https://reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7qk7rq/tplink_engineer_explains_wifi_disconnections_tied/

• Options
    WAT

EVGA showcased a 2200W PSU at CES. 183 AMPS on the 12V rail

Currently only 220V wall plug.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hoooowwwww is that not melting the wires to slag.

That must be a mistake.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    WAT

EVGA showcased a 2200W PSU at CES. 183 AMPS on the 12V rail

Currently only 220V wall plug.

that's gonna be one hell of a mining rig.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    "Sweetie, I have to unplug the dryer so I can plug my computer in"

WHAT

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Recently been poking around at prices and possibilities.

I just want to say one thing.

Fuck cryptominers the arsehole with a rusty, redhot drill, because these video cards prices are fucking insane and in no way reasonable.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    "Sweetie, I have to unplug the dryer so I can plug my computer in"

WHAT

just string your clothes up in the room with the rig, it'll dry them out in a few minutes

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Fuck cryptominers the arsehole with a rusty, redhot drill, because these video cards prices are fucking insane and in no way reasonable.

One of my buddies had his videocard die on him a few weeks back and he was asking me for suggestions on a card that's under $250. Back then, I could at least find a Radeon 570 4gb for around that price...and the 8gb that was ~$290. Unfortunately, he hesitated, and now, for $250, all I can find under $250 is a 1050ti.

Although, he may be lucking out: I hold onto all my cards after I make an upgrade. Dug around in my closet and found my GTX980 from when I made the jump to a 1080. He'll be getting it at bargain basement prices (relatively speaking).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    The lights in my apartment dim for a second when I turn my 1000 watt PSU PC on. 2200 watts? Hilarious.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »

One of my buddies had his videocard die on him a few weeks back and he was asking me for suggestions on a card that's under $250. Back then, I could at least find a Radeon 570 4gb for around that price...and the 8gb that was ~$290. Unfortunately, he hesitated, and now, for $250, all I can find under $250 is a 1050ti.

Although, he may be lucking out: I hold onto all my cards after I make an upgrade. Dug around in my closet and found my GTX980 from when I made the jump to a 1080. He'll be getting it at bargain basement prices (relatively speaking).

was looking to buy a 1070 or 1080 myself.

But fuck that, I've seen prices as high as two fucking grand.

Wish we could just buy direct from fucking nvidia for mrsp and avoid this fucking miner fucking fuckery.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea remember when nvidia released the "founders edition" cards first and they were $50 more than MSRP as basically a "get this card early tax" and we all hated it?

I really need a new video card and I'd buy a 1060 6GB founders edition right now if I could actually get one. But as it stands right now the STRIX 1060 6GB is currenlty $380 Canadian, and there's just no fucking way.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Did prices go up in the last couple of months? I don't think I got hosed too badly with my 1080ti for ~$750.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    1080 Ti's were about $800 when I was looking a few weeks ago. I paid $310 for the 6GB 1060 I ordered.

• Options
    Did prices go up in the last couple of months? I don't think I got hosed too badly with my 1080ti for ~$750.

PC Gamer put out an article last night/early this morning detailing exactly this. Apparently 1080tis are now selling for upwards of $1300.

http://www.pcgamer.com/its-a-terrible-time-to-buy-a-graphics-card/

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Hah, wow, I just checked and my card is out of stock now.

• Options

PC Gamer put out an article last night/early this morning detailing exactly this. Apparently 1080tis are now selling for upwards of $1300.

I've seen 1080tis almost as high as two grand.

• Options

Which is just pants on head stupid....for that price you may as well just get a Titan Xp and use the remainder for an office pizza and blow party.

• Options

Which is just pants on head stupid....for that price you may as well just get a Titan Xp and use the remainder for an office pizza and blow party.

Anyone idea when prices will come back towards reality?

because at these prices I'm not building a new computer.

• Options
    Give it a few months for people to realize crypto currency is the Ponzi scheme of Ponzi schemes, and/or for governments to start to regulate it, and the prices of GPU's will come down. Crypto is so over valued right now that it's making even 1080 Ti's, which are normally not economically good mining cards, economically viable.

• Options
    edited January 2018

Probably when cryptomining goes out of vogue.

And, if you want sane prices with RAM, when smartphones stop using the same RAM modules that desktops do. Although, to be fair, I was reading how DDR4 prices are likely going to drop a fair bit later on in the year as production catches up with demand.

I was thinking of picking up 16gb of DDR4 here next week so I can get my new build up and running, and then hold off on the other 16gb for when prices come down a bit...but I'm a bit hesitant. Are there any benefits of going with 4x8gb over 2x16gb other than the obvious benefit of potentially going to 64gb of RAM (4x16gb) in an 8700K setup (so no quad-channel RAM)?

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The phone thing is less about RAM and more flash storage. Demand for flash memory storage is so high that plants are shifting production from RAM to flash storage modules.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The phone thing is less about RAM and more flash storage. Demand for flash memory storage is so high that plants are shifting production from RAM to flash storage modules.

Ah, thank you...I had a strong feeling that something I wrote wasn't quite right, but I couldn't place my finger on it.

• Options
    And then there are guys like Barnacules telling people to pay the premium and mine to pay the difference, which, I can't even....

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Wow. Not gonna lie about feeling kinda pleased with my timing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options

Probably when cryptomining goes out of vogue.

Crypto took a pretty big dip on the last couple of days. I really hope that signals the end hardware hoarders.

This discussion has been closed.