As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Anyone heard of any good BlackFriday deals for a large case that's friendly for watercooling?
    The Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass is water cooling ready (radiator up to 420mm on top, 240mm front) and has a door hinge for the glass window.

Newegg currently has it 11% discounted right now for the next 7-8 hours.

Don't know if it'll be cheaper on Black Friday/cyber monday

The Enthoo Pro M TG is also big enough for watercooling and can fit a 360mm radiator on the front (minus the optical drive cage and hard drive cage) or top (minus the optical drive cage)

The Enthoo Evolv is much the same as the pro m but hindered with temperature issues due to lack of airflow.

EDIT: Sorry you wanted deals. I'll have a better look

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The two most recent links I posted above are for cases that are convenient for watercooling.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I usually just reformat during a mobo swap/rebuild. Years ago I didn't, and encountered an unending steam of issues related to motherboard drivers doubling up and going crazy.

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Yeah I would 100% do a fresh install if swapping a mobo. Unless you're literally replacing it with the exact same part, do a fresh install. Windows 10 takes almost no time to install anyway.
    And personally I always keep my OS on it's own drive so when it comes to reinstalls all my other files are all ready to go. It's a beautiful thing.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I usually just reformat during a mobo swap/rebuild. Years ago I didn't, and encountered an unending steam of issues related to motherboard drivers doubling up and going crazy.

I was, at one point, forced by circumstances to move an existing Windows installation to a different machine. It's possible but it requires some extra actions using sysprep.
    I actually managed to do it with no resulting complications.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So Ryzen 3 1200 is $99 currently on Amazon or Newegg with Promo Code. Not very likely that I'll get it for less than that is it? I kinda want to see if the Ryzen 3 1300x goes on sale this next week but not sure if I want to gamble away the $10 discount on the 1200.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    You can check PCPP for price history, but it's probably the best price you'll see for a while.

• Options
    Processor ordered... now I've got to just make myself and son wait a month when he's on Christmas break to assemble it all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    So here is the final build/specs for this gaming PC that I'm going to help my son build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: AMD - Wraith Max 55.8 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory
    Storage :Intel 545s Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III 64-Layer 3D NAND TLC Internal
    Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Edition Video Card
    Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Total (Purchased) with 7% Sales Tax: $616.16

Pretty happy overall with the quality of the parts and price I was able to get them all for.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    So here is the final build/specs for this gaming PC that I'm going to help my son build:

Memory: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory

Pretty happy overall with the quality of the parts and price I was able to get them all for.

You'll probably want to pick up a platter drive if you don't already have one. 256 gigs will disappear pretty fast once you start installing games and such.

• Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    LD50 wrote: »

You'll probably want to pick up a platter drive if you don't already have one. 256 gigs will disappear pretty fast once you start installing games and such.

New Egg has an inexpensive WD 1TB (7200 RPM): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339 for $50. I think Amazon has it for the same.

Colanut on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    @Incindium that's really similar to my build (same general components, just different manufacturers, my RAM is a bit faster) and I'm pretty happy with it. It performs pretty well at 1080p and the R3 1200 is really easy to overclock to get you the max performance out of it.

jgeis on
  • Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, we tightened up the build based on the suggestions. With the sales and deals, we were able to keep it to around $760. With your help, I think we have a machine that will do what we want and last us a while.

We are really excited to build it and I'm stoked to engage both my kids on how these things work. I plan to have them assemble as much as they can.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    For the thread in general you can get a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB for $215 through NewEgg right now. It requires jumping through some hoops though:

1. That price is after a $10 mail in rebate.
    2. You have to buy NewEgg gift cards through Groupon. They're offering a promotional gift card worth $10 with every $100 gift card purchased, and a $5 with every $50. So you buy $250 in gift cards and get $25 in extra credit.

• Options

Oh I forgot I have $20 in rebates I need to process from that so that'll get the overall price under $600

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The two most recent links I posted above are for cases that are convenient for watercooling.

I was going to mention the Enthoo Pro as well since its on sale, but thought they'd want a full window to show off the watercooling. In hindsight it wouldn't really matter since the 5.25 and 3.5 bay area is walled off. I think this inside is pretty much the same as the Luxe, much like the Evolv is the same as the Pro M.

Anyway, the Thermaltake View 31 also seems like a good case based on appearance and temps. I think someone else was interested in this case a while back but couldn't find info on temps. I found some recent testing now and its temps are the same as the NXZT S340 Elite. The case doesn't come with a riser cable though to mount a GPU vertically, but I've heard mounting them vertically against side windows increases their temps, so maybe not a huge loss.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Well, I've finished buying my setup! First one after 7 years, unbelievable how out of touch I was (and how the prices have skyrocketed...)

CPU: i5 8600k
    CPU cooling (from previous PC): SilentiumPC Spartan 3 LT HE1012 (to be replaced if I ever feel like OCing)
    MB: ASRock Z370 PRO4
    RAM: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4, 8GB, 2666MHz, CL16 (planning to buy 8GB more in a couple of months)
    GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Core
    Case: SilverStone SST-PS11B-W Precision (basically looked for the cheapest silenced one with good reviews)
    SSD (from previous PC) Goodram CX100, planning to upgrade to some faster M.2 later on
    HDD (from previous PC): Toshiba 1GB external USB, can't remember the model
    PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L2 600W (SPC165)

Mayday on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So Newegg.ca is selling the i5 7600k for $110 off (CAD). Which brings it's price pretty much to the same as the i5-8400. I'm torn of which one to grab. Thoughts?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Are you planning on overclocking?

• Options
    The I5 8400 boosts up to 4ghz without anykind of overclocking required. I'm not sure if the I5 7600K does that without overclocking it yourself but I'll defer to people on the thread who know more than me

• Options
    I've never overclocked before, so the less I'd have to do, the better.

If I get the 8400, I need the newer motherboard, the 300 series I believe. The memory kits I'm looking at say they support the 270 chipsets. Do I need to find memory kits made for the 300 series mobos? That will make the decision of what CPU to get a bit easier. Some benchmark tests I've seen show the 7600k is slightly better for gaming, which is my primary use.

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Well, I've finished buying my setup! First one after 7 years, unbelievable how out of touch I was (and how the prices have skyrocketed...)

CPU cooling (from previous PC): SilentiumPC Spartan 3 LT HE1012 (to be replaced if I ever feel like OCing)
    RAM: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4, 8GB, 2666MHz, CL16 (planning to buy 8GB more in a couple of months)
    Case: SilverStone SST-PS11B-W Precision (basically looked for the cheapest silenced one with good reviews)
    SSD (from previous PC) Goodram CX100, planning to upgrade to some faster M.2 later on

This may have been discussed already but I can't remember. Do you have a PSU?

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Cablemod set arrived last night so I decided it was high time to start finishing up the build proper. The cables are mostly installed but I opted to scare myself first.

Step 1: Oh lord...

cp0zaL5.jpg?1

rnuwBOJ.jpg?1

Delid done, conductonaut in place...

qpD9vyg.jpg?1

It sat in the Rockitcool clamp overnight with a bit of silicone around the edges to cure. Will see if I got it right tonight hopefully!

I suspected this might happen after some usage and I'm glad I've been watching it closely, my CPU-GPU bend has kinked due to the tight radius. I'm trying to decide my best option for this, the ideal is a rotary 90 degree elbow with some more compressions on it but being in Canada there's nothing I could get with any speed (Another $40+ and another week of waiting most likely).

I'm thinking of using the hard tubing method with some heat, a reinforced inner bit and careful bending to see if I can reshape the corner somewhat. Alternatively I might use the ghetto method and apply some zap straps in the corner to pull it back into shape. If I squeeze the top and bottom it rounds back out nicely but applies some force to the CPU fitting so I might have to shorten the tube by 1/4".

QYU81BO.jpg?1

TzJeesD.jpg?1

• Options
    Bit the bullet and ordered my stuff:

16GB DDR4 3200
    i5-7600k + thermal paste + deepcool heatsink
    ASRock Z270 PRO4 LGA mobo

Also grabbed myself a wifi card, another 120GB SSD, a new tower case, and a 530W PSU. Little less power than my old PSU which is still in good shape, but pushing a decade of use.

• Options
    @Varinn If you have extra tubing, make a pigtail. That should solve the kinking problem until you can figure out another solution.

Another idea is to get some wire and wrap it around the outside of the tubing (so it looks like a spring wrapped around said tubing) to add some support to the bend.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Shit, I keep forgetting... yeah, SilentiumPC Vero L2 600W (SPC165). I assume Silentium isn't known in the US.

@Varinn - would you say the delidding was a risky process? Did you do any temperature measurements to compare before and after?

Mayday on
  • Options

Shit, I keep forgetting... yeah, SilentiumPC Vero L2 600W (SPC165). I assume Silentium isn't known in the US.

@Varinn - would you say the delidding was a risky process? Did you do any temperature measurements to compare before and after?

I wouldn't call it terribly risky, but who knows. Maybe my beautiful looking chip is now broken, I won't know until I put it all back together and try it.

I will say that the tool was very easy to use. Nerve-wracking yes, but very easy. The process is tedious but I tried to go carefully and clean as much of the old silicone/gunk off as I could and I found application of the thermal grizzley LM to be much easier than everyone claimed it to be.

I have a few charts and records to retrieve temperature improvements from (if any D:) . Some gaming min/max and a couple 1-2 hours sessions of OCCT large dataset runs.

@Mugsley I do plan on trying to use a spring if needed, but my first effort will be a slight length change and heat bending it with a stiff 3/8" tube inside and removing the tubing after (similar to how acrylic is bent). I've used the technique when installing machines at work with some luck so I'm hoping for the same. I have plenty of spare tubing to try 5+ different ideas.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm still undecided if I should pay the premium for an i7, or go with an AMD CPU and get MORE CORES out of it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    You thinking 8th gen I7? I would go intel then but if it's last gen then go amd

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Yeah whatever is the latest gen, but I'm nonplussed about having to delid shit.

I don't plan to OC though, so maybe it's a moot point.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Posting from new motherboard, everything seems to be working thus far and my idle temps would appear to indicate I didn't fuck up the new paste. Time to spend some time playing vidyagames to see if the GPUs are still playing stability games with me, or if it was all a hoax by the old board.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I just need a liquid cooler, recommendations for under $65

also any critiques would help

Didn't look at links yet. Get a H65 or H50 for that price.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

Yeah whatever is the latest gen, but I'm nonplussed about having to delid shit.

I don't plan to OC though, so maybe it's a moot point.

Then don't delid. Coffee Lake thermals are actually pretty good stock. They used a slightly better TIM this time around. Even with a light OC, on air, there is no need to delid. I did it because I want a super frosty CPU for a variety of reasons (power leakage, ambient transfer, etc), but it's not required.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    CableMod stuff came in. Redid the cabling. Here's the back of the case. It's not perfect, but given how much I had to jam in there, I'm okay with it:

8oR7Fcd.jpg?1

Anddddd the finished (for now) product...drum roll please.....
    n4Qni8Q.jpg?1

I say for now because I need more cable combs to really level out the cables the way I want (I just ordered a set) and I'm not sure I'm done with the lighting. I kind of like the under glow, but it does leave the rest of the case kind of dark. Also the lighting is more of a silver/crystal blue than the picture lets on, which makes it seem really blue.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    So holy crap. Delid and correcting that funky half kink in my cooling loop has dropped temps on my i7 from 60-65c with sudden spikes to 80+ in OCCT way down to 40-45 with spikes to 55 Celsius...

I'm satisfied!!

Just waiting on some RGB strips and a couple PWM extensions to finally button it all up proper and just enjoy the damn build.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    So holy crap. Delid and correcting that funky half kink in my cooling loop has dropped temps on my i7 from 60-65c with sudden spikes to 80+ in OCCT way down to 40-45 with spikes to 55 Celsius...

I'm satisfied!!

Just waiting on some RGB strips and a couple PWM extensions to finally button it all up proper and just enjoy the damn build.

And just think of how fast it'll be once you get those RGB strips.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Varinn wrote: »

I'm satisfied!!

And just think of how fast it'll be once you get those RGB strips.

I figured I could always set them to blue to keep things even cooler.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Just remember to set them to red when you're doing a compile or playing an intense game!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If they're RGB, set them to default to red for the best performance. But have them change colour towards blue as the system warms up to keep those temps down.

This discussion has been closed.