The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PC Build Thread] Getting to the core of the problem

1353638404146

Posts

  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    try turning QoS off/on? this is a little outside my domain but it sounds like her computer is getting overwhelmed by data which would be more present in an MMO than say a browser page where if something doesn't load you wouldn't notice. Maybe the router itself is the source of the problem.

  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    We tried turning the firewall off and that didn't work either.

    Doing an internet speed test came up with this:

    103.06 download
    UPLOAD TEST ERROR
    A socket error occurred during the Upload test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.

    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my Let's play channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Closed ports for some reason? Have you tried resetting the router?

  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Closed ports for some reason? Have you tried resetting the router?

    Yeah reset router to factory settings. But it doesnt happen to her boyfriend who is on the same connection :/
    It is beyond reason!

    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my Let's play channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    Now when you say you tried turning the firewall on and off, you mean the windows firewall right?

    You should turn it off for all 3 "Home, Work, Public".

    The fact that it's not happening to anyone else on the router means it's the PC itself. (also reboot the PC)

    bowen on
    Ladies.
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Now when you say you tried turning the firewall on and off, you mean the windows firewall right?

    You should turn it off for all 3 "Home, Work, Public".

    The fact that it's not happening to anyone else on the router means it's the PC itself. (also reboot the PC)

    Yeah windows firewall is what i mean. I'll get her to try all that and then reboot.

    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my Let's play channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Can you try to bypass the router and see if it still happens?

  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Sometimes AVs have firewalls as well, so check that.

    Also look at whether your network connection is set to private (home/work) or public. If it's set to public there may be additional lock down even outside the firewall (like sharing permissions). If it is your home network it should be setup as a private network.

    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    bowen
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Can you try to bypass the router and see if it still happens?

    How would we do this?

    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my Let's play channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Putting together a workstation pretty much centered around a Ryzen 7 1800X. Mostly for render-work and the processor seems good for that, I've checked some benchmarks and while I know there are faster models already it seems super cheap for the capacity. If I can spring for an even better Ryzen I'll try but the budget isn't totally up to me.

    Anyone have any recommendations for air coolers? It's likely that the computer will sit and run at full CPU load for days at a time and since I share an office with a few people I think I should try to find something both reliable and quiet.

    Also curious about RAM. Since it's so expensive now it seems wise to make a good selection. I don't really need very fast RAM but I need a lot. I was going to start with 32GB now. I'm thinking it would be wise to get two sticks and leave two slots open for a future upgrade without having to buy all new sticks. Though I remember hearing somewhere to avoid 16GB sticks with Ryzen. I don't know if there's any truth to that, or maybe it was regarding speed in 16 vs 8gb sticks in which case I don't expect it'll matter that much.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 24
    This is the list I've come up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNxYgw

    The cooler is big but should fit in that case from what I could see. I'll be reusing a 500gb SSD and 3tb HDD from the previous workstation.

    Would love any tips or feedback to see if I've made a mistake somewhere or would be able to improve or cut cost somewhere.

    Edit: The 2700X is available for $20 more, and comes with a cooler, so I was thinking maybe taking that and cutting the extra CPU cooler. That would end up costing less. But our supplier says for generation 2 Ryzen you should use AMD 400 chipset motherboards... but they don't carry any. So if the chipset is important then doing that probably won't be happening.

    Edit2: Actually they did it was just not actually named AMD 400. A variant with 2700X and stock cooler (no third party cooler) would come out about $30 cheaper. Don't know if the stock coolers are good though.
    2700X variant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xhd68Y

    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Can you try to bypass the router and see if it still happens?

    How would we do this?

    Go straight from the modem to the PC.

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Can you try to bypass the router and see if it still happens?

    How would we do this?

    Go straight from the modem to the PC.

    I suspect she has a router and modem combined, based on said comment. Does the box that has the incoming ISP connection have more than one netowrk jack; and are all PCs connected to that box? If there's a box between where the ISP connection comes into the house and where it gets split to the PCs, try to go around that box.


    Looking at the graphic below, we want to take the black box out of the loop, and connect the offending computer directly to the ISP connection. If her modem has an integrated router, then that probably can't happen.
    qqs0tj30w3gu.jpg

    LD50
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Regardless, I think it's safe to say that going straight to the PC won't solve the problem even if possible. Other people aren't having the same issues connecting to the same router so it's not router related.

    My money is on the connection being flagged as public on the PC itself instead of home/work and the firewall/AV getting a little too grumpy about things connecting out that aren't HTTP/HTTPS (which is why discord and some games mostly work).

    bowen on
    Ladies.
    wunderbarPailryder
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Regardless, I think it's safe to say that going straight to the PC won't solve the problem even if possible. Other people aren't having the same issues connecting to the same router so it's not router related.

    My money is on the connection being flagged as public on the PC itself instead of home/work and the firewall/AV getting a little too grumpy about things connecting out that aren't HTTP/HTTPS (which is why discord and some games mostly work).

    I agree. But if it's possible to direct connect, it will likely remove one factor.

  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Regardless, I think it's safe to say that going straight to the PC won't solve the problem even if possible. Other people aren't having the same issues connecting to the same router so it's not router related.

    My money is on the connection being flagged as public on the PC itself instead of home/work and the firewall/AV getting a little too grumpy about things connecting out that aren't HTTP/HTTPS (which is why discord and some games mostly work).

    She tried this and still no luck unfortunately. She's going to try connecting it directly to the wall without the modem.

    The problem is she's in spain and im in the UK so im doing everything through remote connection - while unable to see if she's doing it exactly right.

    Also, yes, she's able to remote connect to me flawlessly. It's so weird.

    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my Let's play channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Hey friends.


    A friend of mine is having weird connection issues with her computer.
    It seems to disconnect in weird instances. I'll give an example of when it happens.

    We play a lot of Final Fantasy XIV - she can run around the world just fine, quest, etc. But suddenly in dungeons and raids or busy areas it will time out and disconnect her. She doesn't get an error message.

    It won't disconnect her from discord or anything else, just final fantasy xiv.

    However, when using things like facebook she is unable to view images, in discord she can't send us images. She also cannot use messenger on facebook. But she's able to use the rest of the browser fine. This happens regardless of whether FFXIV is open or not which makes me think it's not a game issue but specifically a tech issue affecting her connection?

    Her boyfriend is connected to the same router and his works fine - she's tried it both wireless and with ethernet cable. Same issue.

    This has only started in the past few days.

    We've taken out and replaced ram, updated all of her drivers, unplugged and replugged all power cables, reset the router.

    What else can we try?

    what version of windows is she running? Firewall settings were discussed but there's some more in-depth things to check based on windows version. If you can get to control panel you can go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall\Allowed Programs" and look for final fantasy in the list of programs and make sure that ALL the boxes are checked (i think someone mentioned this already, but double check it).

    has she re-patched the game to make sure some files weren't broken? You mentioned that it just started recently happening and it doesn't disconnect other internet apps like discord so i'm staring at FFXIV as the root issue here.

    I still think the root issue is something "like" flooding. Basically too many packets are kicking her out of the game, or the game is kicking her out because it thinks she's doing something nefarious (even if not intentional).

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    This is the list I've come up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNxYgw

    The cooler is big but should fit in that case from what I could see. I'll be reusing a 500gb SSD and 3tb HDD from the previous workstation.

    Would love any tips or feedback to see if I've made a mistake somewhere or would be able to improve or cut cost somewhere.

    Edit: The 2700X is available for $20 more, and comes with a cooler, so I was thinking maybe taking that and cutting the extra CPU cooler. That would end up costing less. But our supplier says for generation 2 Ryzen you should use AMD 400 chipset motherboards... but they don't carry any. So if the chipset is important then doing that probably won't be happening.

    Edit2: Actually they did it was just not actually named AMD 400. A variant with 2700X and stock cooler (no third party cooler) would come out about $30 cheaper. Don't know if the stock coolers are good though.
    2700X variant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xhd68Y

    The AMD stock cooler is more than adequate for stock speeds...and you should absolutely get the 2700X. It's a better CPU than the 1800X in every way.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Honk
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    Hey friends.


    A friend of mine is having weird connection issues with her computer.
    It seems to disconnect in weird instances. I'll give an example of when it happens.

    We play a lot of Final Fantasy XIV - she can run around the world just fine, quest, etc. But suddenly in dungeons and raids or busy areas it will time out and disconnect her. She doesn't get an error message.

    It won't disconnect her from discord or anything else, just final fantasy xiv.

    However, when using things like facebook she is unable to view images, in discord she can't send us images. She also cannot use messenger on facebook. But she's able to use the rest of the browser fine. This happens regardless of whether FFXIV is open or not which makes me think it's not a game issue but specifically a tech issue affecting her connection?

    Her boyfriend is connected to the same router and his works fine - she's tried it both wireless and with ethernet cable. Same issue.

    This has only started in the past few days.

    We've taken out and replaced ram, updated all of her drivers, unplugged and replugged all power cables, reset the router.

    What else can we try?

    what version of windows is she running? Firewall settings were discussed but there's some more in-depth things to check based on windows version. If you can get to control panel you can go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall\Allowed Programs" and look for final fantasy in the list of programs and make sure that ALL the boxes are checked (i think someone mentioned this already, but double check it).

    has she re-patched the game to make sure some files weren't broken? You mentioned that it just started recently happening and it doesn't disconnect other internet apps like discord so i'm staring at FFXIV as the root issue here.

    I still think the root issue is something "like" flooding. Basically too many packets are kicking her out of the game, or the game is kicking her out because it thinks she's doing something nefarious (even if not intentional).

    She's using Windows 7 but even with the firewall off the issue keeps happening.

    I will get her to check the other stuff though! However, it also seems to have issues even without ff14 running.

    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my Let's play channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    Without getting into alienware sucks, or why pre-built (because I have a shitload of Dell eGift cards from recycling old crap is why)

    How does an Alienware with these specs look:

    Alienware Aurora R7
    Aurora R7 Base
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5 8400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    Power Supply Options
    Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti with 8GB GDDR5
    Memory
    16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)



    The PSU options go from 460W all the way to 850W with nothing in between, I don't know that I will ever SLI or get a 1080 Ti, but I am not sure the 1070 Ti will work well on a 460W PSU (even if Dell will ship them that way). I've also seen reviews saying that the i5 8400 is a game changer in that it works very well for gaming (as opposed to sucking vs an i7).

    I play WoW, Elite: Dangerous, BattleTech, games like that. I might get into VR down the road for Elite especially. I like quiet systems, so I went with liquid cooling.

    Bigity on
    76561198017303226.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Without getting into alienware sucks, or why pre-built (because I have a shitload of Dell eGift cards from recycling old crap is why)

    How does an Alienware with these specs look:

    Alienware Aurora R7
    Aurora R7 Base
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5 8400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    Power Supply Options
    Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti with 8GB GDDR5
    Memory
    16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)



    The PSU options go from 460W all the way to 850W with nothing in between, I don't know that I will ever SLI or get a 1080 Ti, but I am not sure the 1070 Ti will work well on a 460W PSU (even if Dell will ship them that way). I've also seen reviews saying that the i5 8400 is a game changer in that it works very well for gaming (as opposed to sucking vs an i7).

    I play WoW, Elite: Dangerous, BattleTech, games like that. I might get into VR down the road for Elite especially. I like quiet systems, so I went with liquid cooling.

    Buying a prebuilt is not necessarily un-recommended nowadays anyway, so the question I will ask is: does it have to be an Alienware Dell? You can get basically the same loadout in an XPS tower and I expect it'll cost a few hundred bucks less. I just built one on the Dell website for ~$1300 that is all the important parts of that build. Other advice: if you're willing to finagle stuff yourself, see if it's cheaper to skimp on storage and add your own separately. As in: get the 1TB HDD and buy a 1TB SSD to add in and make your main drive while you keep the HDD for backup storage. You should be able to take the windows key you get with the PC and re-install on the SSD, which should also circumvent all the bloatware these machines tend to have. Also, a power supply is never going to need liquid cooling. It shouldn't ever be the loudest part of your system. I have a 650W in my custom PC with a 1080ti and I don't think the fan ever even turns on.

    LD50
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Without getting into alienware sucks, or why pre-built (because I have a shitload of Dell eGift cards from recycling old crap is why)

    How does an Alienware with these specs look:

    Alienware Aurora R7
    Aurora R7 Base
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5 8400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    Power Supply Options
    Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti with 8GB GDDR5
    Memory
    16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)



    The PSU options go from 460W all the way to 850W with nothing in between, I don't know that I will ever SLI or get a 1080 Ti, but I am not sure the 1070 Ti will work well on a 460W PSU (even if Dell will ship them that way). I've also seen reviews saying that the i5 8400 is a game changer in that it works very well for gaming (as opposed to sucking vs an i7).

    I play WoW, Elite: Dangerous, BattleTech, games like that. I might get into VR down the road for Elite especially. I like quiet systems, so I went with liquid cooling.

    Buying a prebuilt is not necessarily un-recommended nowadays anyway, so the question I will ask is: does it have to be an Alienware Dell? You can get basically the same loadout in an XPS tower and I expect it'll cost a few hundred bucks less. I just built one on the Dell website for ~$1300 that is all the important parts of that build. Other advice: if you're willing to finagle stuff yourself, see if it's cheaper to skimp on storage and add your own separately. As in: get the 1TB HDD and buy a 1TB SSD to add in and make your main drive while you keep the HDD for backup storage. You should be able to take the windows key you get with the PC and re-install on the SSD, which should also circumvent all the bloatware these machines tend to have. Also, a power supply is never going to need liquid cooling. It shouldn't ever be the loudest part of your system. I have a 650W in my custom PC with a 1080ti and I don't think the fan ever even turns on.

    I was concerned about the XPS PSU upgrade, some reviews I found on it say doing that requires pulling out the mobo, and I'm not sure I want to hassle with that kind of thing. I couldn't get liquid cooling (which seems to be silly on retrospect, I think I assumed that meant the entire case was liquid cooled) on the XPS either (I think, can't recall now). I can certainly drop in SSDs, and have a 256 gb laying around, but its not M2. I was planning on installing Windows from scratch for sure - I hate dealing with all that extra stuff. Can I see the XPS build you came up with? I'll see if I can find what I came up with.


    I think this was what I had looked at:

    XPS 8930 Base
    Processor
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K 6-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    Monitor
    If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately
    Memory
    16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)
    Chassis Options
    XPS 8930, Special Edition Chassis (460W)
    Hard Drive
    256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti with 8GB GDDR5

    Bigity on
    76561198017303226.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    After some digging, I think I'm leaning towards this XPS now - coming out at 1350. I'll drop in another 256 gb SSD as well (that I already own).
    XPS 8930
    XPS 8930 Base
    Processor
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8400 6-Core Processor (9M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    Monitor
    If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately
    Memory
    16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)
    Chassis Options
    XPS 8930, Special Edition Chassis (460W)
    Hard Drive
    256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
    CD ROM/DVD ROM
    Tray Load DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    Sound
    Integrated 5.1 with WAVE MAXX Audio® Pro

    Bigity on
    76561198017303226.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @Honk you don't actually need an X470 motherboard to use a Ryzen 2 chip, any of the AM4 boards currently available will work as long as the BIOS is updated to support Ryzen 2. The socket and chipsets are otherwise fully compatible. Some are coming from the factory with a new BIOS but others need flashed. AMD is providing a flash kit with a temporary processor to use to flash the BIOS and then you just send the kit back to AMD.

    Also be sure to check the motherboard's RAM QVL. If your RAM isn't on the QVL there's a chance it won't run any faster than the DDR4 baseline of 2133MHz.

    [
    Honk
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Thanks for the advice! That's handy to know going forward about QVL's, in this case it seems supported at the correct speed.

    I've gone ahead with the order for the 2700X version, seems like it might take a few weeks but now I'm looking forward to building it. :)

    I'm going to be king of Optiplex hill here.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    After some digging, I think I'm leaning towards this XPS now - coming out at 1350. I'll drop in another 256 gb SSD as well (that I already own).
    XPS 8930
    XPS 8930 Base
    Processor
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8400 6-Core Processor (9M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    Monitor
    If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately
    Memory
    16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)
    Chassis Options
    XPS 8930, Special Edition Chassis (460W)
    Hard Drive
    256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
    CD ROM/DVD ROM
    Tray Load DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    Sound
    Integrated 5.1 with WAVE MAXX Audio® Pro

    FOUR M.2 256GB SSDs?


    erbeum2pnvq5.jpg

    bowen
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    After some digging, I think I'm leaning towards this XPS now - coming out at 1350. I'll drop in another 256 gb SSD as well (that I already own).
    XPS 8930
    XPS 8930 Base
    Processor
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8400 6-Core Processor (9M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    Monitor
    If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately
    Memory
    16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4 up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)
    Chassis Options
    XPS 8930, Special Edition Chassis (460W)
    Hard Drive
    256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
    CD ROM/DVD ROM
    Tray Load DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    Sound
    Integrated 5.1 with WAVE MAXX Audio® Pro

    FOUR M.2 256GB SSDs?

    *snip*

    x4 PCIe speed, not four drives.

    a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
    BouwsTemp123jungleroomx
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That makes more sense!

    Ladies.
    jungleroomx
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Let me use my cool internet memes!

    Bigity
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Now the worst part of a new computer or parts to build one. Waiting for it/them all to show up.

    76561198017303226.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My replacement EVGA GeForce 1080i died, after only two months, showing the same symptoms of the first. I lost all DisplayPort capability and I can't install the latest drivers. What could cause a GPU to die so young?

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    My replacement EVGA GeForce 1080i died, after only two months, showing the same symptoms of the first. I lost all DisplayPort capability and I can't install the latest drivers. What could cause a GPU to die so young?

    PSU.

  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    My replacement EVGA GeForce 1080i died, after only two months, showing the same symptoms of the first. I lost all DisplayPort capability and I can't install the latest drivers. What could cause a GPU to die so young?

    What temperature are they running at?

    Hobnail wrote: »
    It's okay to use Oddjob so long as you don't mind me deliberately obliterating your toilet with a precisely calibrated rectal assault
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    My replacement EVGA GeForce 1080i died, after only two months, showing the same symptoms of the first. I lost all DisplayPort capability and I can't install the latest drivers. What could cause a GPU to die so young?

    PSU.

    3clipse wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    My replacement EVGA GeForce 1080i died, after only two months, showing the same symptoms of the first. I lost all DisplayPort capability and I can't install the latest drivers. What could cause a GPU to die so young?

    What temperature are they running at?

    The PSU is an 1000W Corsair and the temperture was 70C the last time I was playing Overwatch.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If it was temps that killed it there would have been performance issues before the failure.

    I'm inclined to believe a bad PSU, an unfortunate result of poor GPU construction, or maybe some problem from the MB.

  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Stop beating kittens

    76561198017303226.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Do you ever get static shocks when you go to turn your monitor off and on? I've seen static buildup is a shitty display nuke a video card before. It's probably an unstable PSU though. 70c for Overwatch is kind of high. It's not all that demanding of a game.

    camo_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    Well shit.

    Even if EVGA replaces my GPU, maybe I'll start picking parts for a new box. My machine is 6 years old and I had a good run. But I'm like two months away from eliminating my student loans so it will have to wait. I was hoping I could squeeze one more year out of this machine.

    Edit: No, my monitors have never taken an electric bite out of me

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    @Honk you don't actually need an X470 motherboard to use a Ryzen 2 chip, any of the AM4 boards currently available will work as long as the BIOS is updated to support Ryzen 2. The socket and chipsets are otherwise fully compatible. Some are coming from the factory with a new BIOS but others need flashed. AMD is providing a flash kit with a temporary processor to use to flash the BIOS and then you just send the kit back to AMD.

    Also be sure to check the motherboard's RAM QVL. If your RAM isn't on the QVL there's a chance it won't run any faster than the DDR4 baseline of 2133MHz.

    You don't need it, but you miss out on things like XFR 2.0 without it. Yes, you can drop a Zen+ in to an X370 otherboard but you lose features. It'll work, so good on AMD, but it's not a 1:1 chipset match.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
Sign In or Register to comment.