As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Okay, one hitch I'm up against. I am getting a nice pair of USB-C Headphones. So, I want to be sure my PC has a front panel usb-c port and I know what to look for in a case.

But how do I distinguish between a motherboard that offers a header for that port and one that doesn't -- what is that called? Is it sufficient for the mobo to have a USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector or am I looking for one that calls out USB-C specifically?

USB 3.1 is different from USB-C.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Mid to high end Z370 and X470 motherboards will likely have a USB C header. If not you can probably add one with a PCI-E card. I'd be more concerned with finding a case that actually has a USB C front port. Those seem to be exceedingly rare still.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Alternatively, you could probably look into using a spare drive bay and add something like this or this, which are supposed to do 3.1 Gen2 and PD. Need to make sure you have SATA Express though, which is iffy.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Thanks. I'm already pulling the trigger on some pieces, there was a 15% off coupon today for eBay and Newegg has an eBay store so I ordered a 2700X, the Asus ROG Strix x470-F motherboard, and I guess three hugely overpriced but very flashy fans.

The case I'm planning to build in is out of stock but restocking in two weeks -- The Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic, it definitely has a front panel USB C port.

Also WOW, are memory prices nuts right. 2 years ago I helped my friend build a X99 system and his memory 32 gigs of DDR4 with a respectable 3200 Mhz clock at CL 16, was about half of what that's going to cost me now. Also for Ryzen 2 is it worth it to find tighter timings if I can swing it? Like 3200 Mhz at CL 14?

user on
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the right place but I'm wondering if someone could have a look at a pre-built system and ask if any specific alarm bells ring? https://chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-claymore-gtx-1080-gaming-pc.html?category_id=529

My other question is around gfx cards, I've read somewhere that prices should be dropping due to changes in some sort of crypto mining operation that I don't really understand - should I hold fire and if so, how long?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'd prefer to see the inside, but nothing is setting off alarms. There's a chance the board is an ITX board, but that doesn't have any effect on performance (it may just limit expansion opportunities)

I did not know that Fractal made PSUs, so look that up. If Fractal don't sell them separately, that may be where some cuts were made. I don't see any specs on the PSU, so if you find something, check the +12V supply for how many total amps it can offer.

Purchase timing: no one knows if or when prices will start falling. If you can afford it, buy it. You'll be enjoying your system instead of agonizing over when to buy.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Doesn't seem to be any gaps or vents for air, so I'm thinking that's gonna be a hot box.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    If I wanted to be weird and get a printer for the rare cases I want one, but get a color laser printer because screw ink, are there any general recommendations?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Brother tend to be the go to for b&w laser printers for cost effectiveness, so i assume their color ones are the same.

Personally id just get a b&w model and anything that needed color jus get it done at like a staples or whatever equivalent is near you. The cost in hardware and toner isnt really worth it unless your printing color pages a lot.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Brother tend to be the go to for b&w laser printers for cost effectiveness, so i assume their color ones are the same.

Personally id just get a b&w model and anything that needed color jus get it done at like a staples or whatever equivalent is near you. The cost in hardware and toner isnt really worth it unless your printing color pages a lot.

Agreed, get a B&W printer. Brother does a good job - we have one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm getting sick and tired of all these cables cluttering my desk.

What cable clutter solution ya'll using?

• Options
    Excellent.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12718/samsung-posts-lowered-msrps-for-970-pro-and-970-evo-ssds

At these MSRPs, a deal is going to make them mighty tempting.

• Options

Velcro cable ties. They're the most versatile for getting individual cables in/out of a bundle. Conversely, you can buy neoprene sleeves that zip up, which hold a group of cables together.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Velcro cable ties. They're the most versatile for getting individual cables in/out of a bundle. Conversely, you can buy neoprene sleeves that zip up, which hold a group of cables together.

That takes effort, man. I just get the dust bunnies to handle it.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hey guys, looks like I have a chance to pick up some slightly used equipment, and wanted to know if I should dive on it.
    Processor: i7-5960X
    Motherboard: ASUS X99 Tuff Sabertooth
    Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800 16GB (4x 4Gig sticks)
    Gigabyte gtx 750 (2040 MB)

I think he wants around 750 for it.
    I already have drives/case/power supply. Just wondering if its worth it.

Looking online on the processor (he wanted $450 for that), it looks like I can get a newer one for cheaper? Like the i7-8700K has faster clock speed but less L1/L2/L3 cache.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    I don't think the 8700 CPU will work on a X99 MB.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I don't think the 8700 CPU will work on a X99 MB.

it does not.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Hey guys, looks like I have a chance to pick up some slightly used equipment, and wanted to know if I should dive on it.

Looking online on the processor (he wanted $450 for that), it looks like I can get a newer one for cheaper? Like the i7-8700K has faster clock speed but less L1/L2/L3 cache.

Processor is "fine" but may be not what you're looking for if you're building a gaming pc. The GPU is old and will need replacement pretty quickly if you want to play modern games. RAM is pretty good. I wouldn't pay $750 for that though.

What use case do you have in mind? It's not as bad if you want a video editing rig.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Is this the place to ask about monitors? I haven't kept up on all the new monitor tech. Last monitor I bought was a u2412m, which honestly has been fantastic. Now I'm looking for another 24" 1920x1200 to go next to it.

Input lag response time is very important to me. I've worked on monitors with slow response time and I haaaaate it. Just moving the mouse around the screen is painful on them. Also I dislike tn panels.

What other kinds of things should I be looking for? Any recommendations? Video card is a 1060 6 gb.

Marty81 on
  • Options

The 5960x is soldered so it will respond much better to cooling than a newer intel processor might. It's something to consider if you're the sort who'd get a lot of enjoyment out of a fine tuning a decent overclock.

The i7-8700k can be overclocked too, to a point -- that to be fair would make it quicker than the 5960x equivalent OC. But to really make the use of it's potential headroom you have to go the extra step and delid and scrape out the TIM and use something else.

The main benefit to your friend's x99 system is a ton of PCIE lanes -- so if you're into content creation and you have the money, it lets you have a lot of GPU grunt or a lot of really fast storage.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

Processor is "fine" but may be not what you're looking for if you're building a gaming pc. The GPU is old and will need replacement pretty quickly if you want to play modern games. RAM is pretty good. I wouldn't pay $750 for that though.

What use case do you have in mind? It's not as bad if you want a video editing rig.

Mostly gaming and everything else is a secondary concern. I do some CAD work, but nothing my current rig can't handle currently. I think I was just wondering how useful used parts would be in building a new rig. I suppose I'll pass on this, and stick to the plan of buying a component at a time.

• Options
    What do you have right now?

What can you spec out for $750 using current-gen hardware? (maybe without GPU)

A 5-gen processor still has usage life (Hell, my 4th-gen is still going strong), but its use to you depends on a few things:

* Is it a significant upgrade over what you're currently using?
    * Will it supplant a planned upgrade, or will it allow you more time until you do a full upgrade?
    * Will it replace any components that were suspect or were starting to show signs of failure?

If you want to go a bit deeper down this particular rabbit hole, check on Ebay for the components (specifically check for successful auctions, to get an idea of what people are actually paying for the items).

$750 seems on the steep side, even if (making assumptions) he probably paid $750 for the mobo/CPU/RAM alone when he first built the machine.

Also, the GTX750 is arguably on par with a 1050/Ti (the 1050 Ti probably beats it; check logical increments), so if you have a newer card available, you're not getting any value-add by having that thrown in.

---
    If you can talk him down to a better number, I'd say go for it. Or see what he'd be willing to agree to without the video card.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Well I've bought everything I need for a new Ryzen 2 system except RAM and a case.

user on
  • Options
    Right now I have a case/power supply/hard drives. My plan had been slowly getting components, likely motherboard first, then ram, then processor, then gpu. I've put purchasing things off as we have family trips coming up. My budget isn't strictly defined at this time, and I haven't been looking at components in a while. I wasn't sure if the price was right for this bundle and how much more I'd have to pour in to get a machine where I want it to be.
    Current rig is a Dell desktop circa 2011 or 12, so that's kind of long in the tooth.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Windows 10 1803 update is a clusterfuck.

• Options
    I've bought everything here:

PCPartPicker part list

Except for the case, which isn't yet released.

The GTX970 is a carry-over, but I will likely pick up a GTX 1180 if they hit this summer.

I also bought a lot of watercooling parts for my first ever water cooling loop (more for fun than anything).

Will probably test everything to make sure its working over the weekend. And finally assembly will be May 20th when I have a case.

• Options
    "it's not much, but it's mine"

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Also, the GTX750 is arguably on par with a 1050/Ti (the 1050 Ti probably beats it; check logical increments), so if you have a newer card available, you're not getting any value-add by having that thrown in.

They're members of the same product classification within Nvidia, sure, but there seem to be a pretty substantial power leap from the 750 to the 1050, completely excluding the Ti variant). Particularly at higher resolutions. Their power consumption is pretty similar though, though unsurprisingly the 1050 has at least one area of functionality that the 750 lacks: SLI (though why you'd SLI a pair of GTX 1050 and not just get a higher end card is beyond me).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    "it's not much, but it's mine"
    Boo. That's not even a real potato. Sweet potatoes are root tubers, not stem tubers. :D:D

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    question

i currently have an
    i5 750
    asrock p55 pro
    8gb ddr3
    gtx 670

all of this is stock. I have had a CM hyper T2 sitting on my shelf forever but never got around to installing it. As its at least 9 years old at this point it is showing its legs in games etc. probably due to CPU bottlenecks

I was toying with the idea of actually installing the T2 and then doing a bit of overclocking on it. basic searching seems to say you can easily go from 2.66gz to 3.8 with minimal effort or additional cooling needed.

this seems like a nice stop gap effort until i update the whole shebang.

would this get me a big performance improvement? if so any good walkthroughs? the one site i saw said just by increasing a single voltage thing you could get that boost but I am sure there is more involved.

all the abbreviations throw me off.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    question

i currently have an
    i5 750
    asrock p55 pro
    8gb ddr3
    gtx 670

all of this is stock. I have had a CM hyper T2 sitting on my shelf forever but never got around to installing it. As its at least 9 years old at this point it is showing its legs in games etc. probably due to CPU bottlenecks

I was toying with the idea of actually installing the T2 and then doing a bit of overclocking on it. basic searching seems to say you can easily go from 2.66gz to 3.8 with minimal effort or additional cooling needed.

this seems like a nice stop gap effort until i update the whole shebang.

would this get me a big performance improvement? if so any good walkthroughs? the one site i saw said just by increasing a single voltage thing you could get that boost but I am sure there is more involved.

all the abbreviations throw me off.
    Yep, bang on better cooling and change the CPU multiplier and maybe boost the vcore a bit. I have an x58 motherboard on the 980 i7 equivalent Xeon (back when these could be overclocked) and it really is that easy.

• Options
    Look up a few how-to videos. It's quite straightforward now.

• Options
    I still cannot overclock my i5 the smallest increment without my system crashing on startup and giving me a mild heart attack with boot errors.

I should look at overclocking my GTX 1080ti, that's rather simple with EVGA's software (and I haven't done it since installing it).

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Some CPUs just don't have any room for overclocking. Sometimes you might even need to undervolt it to get any room to increase clock speeds.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Some CPUs just don't have any room for overclocking. Sometimes you might even need to undervolt it to get any room to increase clock speeds.

I think it's my motherboard (I'm at work and can't look it up, but I'm pretty sure I have a i5-4670k, which is supposed to be good for that). I can just never get it to work without crashing and BIOS errors.

On the other hand, the number of CPU-bottlenecked games I play is only declining, though the age difference between my CPU and GPU is to the point of getting humorous.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Speaking of overclocking, Anandtech has an article out on delidding the Ryzen 2400G and they got some good results! They didn't post gaming benchmark scores in the article since it was mostly focusing on the process of delidding and thermal gains, but they used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and managed to gain 100MHz of clock speed (4.2GHz) and using a Thermaltake Floe Ring RGB 360 AIO cooler their 4.2GHz tune was 9°C cooler under stress test load than the 4.1GHz tune with the stock TIM.

• Options
    Sure am glad I went with a soldered chip (any non-APU AMD chip). Don't have to bother with that bit of scary procedure, nor acquire a delid tool, and special liquid metal that needs reapplying every once in a while.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Went into an old email account and found my old PC build receipt from 2004.

6ll57cn9r8et.png

That thing was a beast back in the day.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    256mb vram

I bet you could turn on fxaa to 4!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    256mb vram

I bet you could turn on fxaa to 4!

Unreal Tournament 2K4 was smooth as silk at 1600x1200!

This discussion has been closed.