As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

But we've got a whole slew of software coming out soon, like Cyberpunk 2077, which will probably finally show the age of the 9XX series.

Hey!

shaddap

I'm still on a 680 over here, and with my current income I should be able to afford to upgrade some time in 2063...

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    What's a good site(s) for tracking PC parts deals?

pcpartpicker.com is a good place to assemble your parts list, and they track prices from a large variety of retail storefronts. You can also set up email alerts if prices drop.

Anything more general? like that something that would post silicon lottery sale?
    I don't really have a set parts list, more just looking at a price range.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Yeah you can usually rely on r/buildapcsales.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    It's a trade-off; BAPCS might get info on sales a little slower since it relies on user submissions, but you get a broader spectrum of posts.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

But we've got a whole slew of software coming out soon, like Cyberpunk 2077, which will probably finally show the age of the 9XX series.

Hey!

shaddap

I'm still on a 680 over here, and with my current income I should be able to afford to upgrade some time in 2063...

Then if you know when Cyberpunk will come out, you can continue to save for fourteen years.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Hi all.

I need a bit of advice.

I bought a new system an embarrassingly long time ago and finally had the energy for the last push today.
    I had been unable to get it to post, but read the part of the manual that told me the four lights that show what hardware part the start-up is on and concluded that there might be something wrong with the cpu.
    Unseated the cooler, cleaned the cpu, installed again and got it to post.

I then tried to flash the latest bios, which went fine until it was done and now the computer hangs on start-up.

It's a MSI board with a readout that tells me it gets to:

60 DXE (driver execution environment) Core is started.

Next step should be 61 NVRAM initialization.

I'm getting the feeling that the Bios flash didn't go well.

I couln't get anything specific on the problem by googling but did find this link on how to recover a bricked MSI motherboard:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=269702.0

Am I right in thinking the problem is the Bios?

I'm willing to try to recover in the way told in the link, but the SSD is buried under the graphics card, and I would like someone elses opinion before I start the process of disconnecting most things from the board.

Any help or advice apriciated.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Anybody got a source for reviews that maybe doesn't index well on Google? Heh. I'm trying to find reviews for this board;

ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4

It's got RGB and ARGB headers, a post code display panel, a rear plate full of USB 3.1/3.2 ports, ARGB sync compatibility with the cooler I'm looking to get, nice neutral color scheme on the board... but essentially no reviews on the internet. Most folks who review ASRock boards are focusing on the Taichi and Taichi Ultimate.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Nought wrote: »
    Hi all.

I need a bit of advice.

I bought a new system an embarrassingly long time ago and finally had the energy for the last push today.
    I had been unable to get it to post, but read the part of the manual that told me the four lights that show what hardware part the start-up is on and concluded that there might be something wrong with the cpu.

I then tried to flash the latest bios, which went fine until it was done and now the computer hangs on start-up.

I couln't get anything specific on the problem by googling but did find this link on how to recover a bricked MSI motherboard:

I'm willing to try to recover in the way told in the link, but the SSD is buried under the graphics card, and I would like someone elses opinion before I start the process of disconnecting most things from the board.

First mistake was flashing the BIOS unless you had some problem you were trying to fix in the first place.

The SSD shouldn't be that hard to get to, but if is get a bigger case :P And you just have to remove the data cable, you can unplug it from the motherboard side if you have to.

Seems like it's the BIOS and you have nothing to lose if it won't POST or otherwise hangs and nothing else changed.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    It's been a couple days and doing a clean install of the drivers seems to have solved the problem. I don't know how it came to be that my drivers got uninstalled, and why updating them didn't actually install them. But for the time being everything seems to be working fine.

And yes, the 980 is still a good card. I just have the GTX, and still can run anything at 1080 at high/ultra. I'm sure there are some PC games that I just don't have or don't play that would require some reduced settings, but for what I do play, it is completely sufficient. I had hoped, when I got the card in the first place, that eventually the prices would come down enough to warrant a second 980 to let me skip the 10 series, but I had no idea the whole crypto mining thing would pop up and maintain full launch retail price of old cards. :rotate:

Regardless, for now, I still have a hope that I can last to the next generation.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular

Hey!

shaddap

I'm still on a 680 as well! It is impressive how well the 680 still holds up actually. I've certainly had my value from it.
    To be fair though, I guess i would have upgraded it by now if not for the crypto bubble

404 not found
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Nought wrote: »
    Hi all.

I need a bit of advice.

First mistake was flashing the BIOS unless you had some problem you were trying to fix in the first place.

The SSD shouldn't be that hard to get to, but if is get a bigger case :P And you just have to remove the data cable, you can unplug it from the motherboard side if you have to.

Seems like it's the BIOS and you have nothing to lose if it won't POST or otherwise hangs and nothing else changed.

Thanks for the reply.

The thing about the SSD was just me ranting about the M.2 being directly under the graphics card and making it a bigger problem than it was.

As it turns out in the cold light of day I looked at the back of the case and the motherboard has a USB marked as BIOSFlashback+.
    And after looking in the manual there is a button that flashes the Bios from the file located on a key inserted in this port.
    So now the computer works. Yay! :)

Computet hardware have come a long way since the end of the 90s. I remember having my mind blown when the ports got colour coded.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Well, all parts bought'd. Should be arriving over the next three days, in time to assemble over the holiday weekend.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $180.41)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $119.99)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $159.99)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $250.99)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $97.99)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $59.89)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $79.99)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
    Other: CableMod ModMesh SATA 3 Cable 30cm (white) (Purchased For $9.90)
    Other: CableMod PRO ModMesh Cable Extension Kit (Black/White) (Purchased For $51.95)
    Total: $1011.10
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-22 01:04 EDT-0400

Wound up going down to a 250gb 970 Evo, going to set up tiered storage with it and the new 2TB HDD using the StoreMi utility. Watched some vids on the tech and read through the manual/FAQ, it sounds pretty dope TBH.

Later this fall I'll look to pick up a new GPU, and if I'm really feeling saucy I'll get an NZXT Kraken G12 (in white, natch) and another AIO to cool it. Always wanted to do that with my current build, never got around to it.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Is there something missing on this pc that I'm not seeing? I've been pricing a vr/gaming machine and I don't think I can beat the per dollar value on a pre built like this.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/497082/G351_Desktop_Computer

• Options
    You'll probably want to throw in a bigger HDD/another SSD sooner rather than later. Check the PSU before you do so, probably fine, though.

I didn't price it out, but if it checks out in that regard the parts themselves look fine overall.

• Options
    The audio chipset on the motherboard is underwhelming and the included PSU is probably a weak point.

Honestly for $1300 I'm positive we could put together a vastly better parts list, even with the stupid costs of GPUs. Take the parts list I posted, swap to an air cooler, get less ridiculously overpriced RAM, ditch the cable extensions, get a little more budget mobo. That alone probably gives enough room to add a 500 GPU and a nice true 600 watt PSU.

I can work all that up for you later today if you need some help, just got a busy morning.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    If you can stretch for $200 more and are ok with assembling it yourself this build is better in pretty much every way

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg Business)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($86.20 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($161.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($133.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card ($484.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.97 @ Newegg Business)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1597.99
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-22 10:16 EDT-0400

You could save a couple bucks here and there, and if you already have a Windows 10 license that's another $100 off

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You can still activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7 product key. They've ended the free upgrade program but clean installs and new activations aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You can still activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7 product key. They've ended the free upgrade program but clean installs and new activations aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

That free upgrade repeatedly failed for me the summer they were doing it. :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Thoughts on this?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg Business)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg Business)
    Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 570 4GB ROG STRIX Video Card ($269.89 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $815.83
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-22 13:48 EDT-0400

was probably going to pull my storage from my current rig, maybe even the PSU. Definitely trying to squeeze things out for cheaper

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    @mts The amd graphic cards have a tendency to be very hot compared to Nvidia. You may want to look at what fans you are getting and consider maybe adding more or upgrading them.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Roe wrote: »
    @mts The amd graphic cards have a tendency to be very hot compared to Nvidia. You may want to look at what fans you are getting and consider maybe adding more or upgrading them.

I am not all in on AMD cards tbh, it seemed like a high performing midrange card. was torn between that and 1060 or 1050ti
    Also the same with the case. I have always liked the look of those cases, but my requirements are a good dust filter, and airflow

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Well shit. My computer didn't like me thinking about replacing it because it's randomly powering off. Seems like it is cpu heavy tasks. The other day my wife said it crashed while encoding videos and today it first happened while trying to load into a dota match. To top it won't even let me book back up. Once it gets to windows goes off.

Whooo

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    My repaired computer is failing stress tests and can't run Overwatch for more than five minutes. See anything unusual? CPU temperature seems typical.
    33035779_10156417251179516_7992790939351384064_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b3b3866cb849ab42e689b6cf57468705&oe=5BC39284

I wasn't planning on building a new box this year but if I don't sort this out with the repair guy before I move to Texas this will force my hand.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Well shit. My computer didn't like me thinking about replacing it because it's randomly powering off. Seems like it is cpu heavy tasks. The other day my wife said it crashed while encoding videos and today it first happened while trying to load into a dota match. To top it won't even let me book back up. Once it gets to windows goes off.

Whooo

Check to ensure the CPU cooler is properly installed.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    My repaired computer is failing stress tests and can't run Overwatch for more than five minutes. See anything unusual? CPU temperature seems typical.
    33035779_10156417251179516_7992790939351384064_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b3b3866cb849ab42e689b6cf57468705&oe=5BC39284

I wasn't planning on building a new box this year but if I don't sort this out with the repair guy before I move to Texas this will force my hand.

Only thing of use that shows really is the CPU temp and as you note it's fine (assuming that's max, which the GPU load suggests it is).

Is that the temp when it crashes?

• Options
    I fixed my crashing in Civ 6 (the only game currently installed in my rig), 100% by running a complete driver uninstall utility in safe mode (DDU), making sure my new drivers were already downloaded, and being sure to disable my internet completely before booting into a normal environment and installing it.

I swear there's always conflicts between Microsoft's automatically downloaded drivers and the official NVIDIA drivers.

But doing the above works a treat.

• Options

Only thing of use that shows really is the CPU temp and as you note it's fine (assuming that's max, which the GPU load suggests it is).

Is that the temp when it crashes?

Correct.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Then it's not overheating.

Pretty stumped if you've replace everything else! Could be bad RAM (I forgot what was done really). Run some tests on that.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    i think I have fallen down the rabbit hole. Thinking of now going x370 instead of b350 to get the extra USB slots. whenever I think I found a good board there are tons of bad reviews

was originally thinking the Gigabyte Aorus K5, then the MSI. now I think I am leaning towards the ASRock x370 Killer.

I am feeling the pressure of a dying system here.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Then it's not overheating.

Pretty stumped if you've replace everything else! Could be bad RAM (I forgot what was done really). Run some tests on that.

Memory Diagnostic came up clean, so I'm taking it to the shop today.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    it's always PSU.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

have you tried playing with your settings to see if that makes a difference? Like set everything to low as possible and see if it goes longer?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    My ongoing saga of EVGA RMA woes continues. The motherboard I paid to have crosshipped but after test fitting in my case and realizing it wasn't going to work has been also been denied. Doing some searching it looks like EVGA has been denying a lot of RMA's for cosmetic and/or minor issues unrelated to the original RMA reason. I'm waiting on a call back from them to hopefully figure out what is going on.

Good chance I'm going to be stuck paying for another motherboard I have no use for. I hate to say it but I don't think I'll be giving EVGA my business anymore.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    i think I have fallen down the rabbit hole. Thinking of now going x370 instead of b350 to get the extra USB slots. whenever I think I found a good board there are tons of bad reviews

was originally thinking the Gigabyte Aorus K5, then the MSI. now I think I am leaning towards the ASRock x370 Killer.

Keep in mind that the majority of people who leave reviews will leave bad ones. If your motherboard isn't a problem then you tend to forget about it.

I recommend either ASUS or EVGA.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    My ongoing saga of EVGA RMA woes continues. The motherboard I paid to have crosshipped but after test fitting in my case and realizing it wasn't going to work has been also been denied. Doing some searching it looks like EVGA has been denying a lot of RMA's for cosmetic and/or minor issues unrelated to the original RMA reason. I'm waiting on a call back from them to hopefully figure out what is going on.

Good chance I'm going to be stuck paying for another motherboard I have no use for. I hate to say it but I don't think I'll be giving EVGA my business anymore.

That really sucks. EVGA has long since been my preferred GPU vender, and I've had (comparatively) good experiences with their customer support (given that they're based in the US).

Given you experience, I can hardly blame you. It's hardly one-to-one, but NewEgg was sent me a motherboard in lieu of the CPU fan I ordered about ten years ago, and not being a bad person (and also having been told very firmly by NewEgg that I needed to), I decided to return it--even though they refused to give me a shipping label. I had to repeatedly harangue them over the phone to pay the shipping cost for their error, and I avoided them for most of the decade that followed (it helped that their monopoly on such sales was rapidly breaking up). You do what you need to.

• Options
    Got off the phone with EVGA and I'm SOL. I'm going to pursue options with my bank and/or UPS shipping insurance. Part of me want to ditch my EVGA 1080 and buy a card from someone else just out of principle, but that's a rather silly financial decision versus the $300 this motherboard fiasco has cost me.

I'm actually debating having the guys working on my PC, ModMyMods, estimate the cost for a full real watercooling setup. That's kind of a last resort if the AOI GPU stuff is bad again, but looking around their shop at the custom work they do makes me want one. The parts themselves aren't that expensive but it would add up fast once I start adding fittings and the labor costs.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

Keep in mind that the majority of people who leave reviews will leave bad ones. If your motherboard isn't a problem then you tend to forget about it.

I recommend either ASUS or EVGA.

EVGA doesn't make AMD socket motherboards.

• Options
    The rest of my parts arrive today, can't wait to get home and start building =) Been too long.

• Options
    Make sure, ideally by accident, that some blood is spilled in assembly. When I rebuilt my PC a few months ago and did not cut myself. I've been having problems with it ever since.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    PC Building requires blood sacrifice to sate the gods of old. If you do not offer it to the backplane of the motherboard, you will risk a curse.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.