As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It's also got the most asinine placement for wired ports.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Fry's has a couple Intel CPU/mobo deals right now.
    https://www.frys.com/product/9580632?nearbyStoreName=false&site=thulanding060718

https://www.frys.com/product/9580732?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What ran would you recommend with each of those?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    https://www.frys.com/product/9580632?nearbyStoreName=false&site=thulanding060718

Links are brokan.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Links are brokan.

Guess they pulled the deals.
    One was an i3-8100 w/ h370m, the other an i5-8600k w/ z370. Oh well.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    My monitor is repaired, my computer is repaired, and I can finally Overwatch! ...kinda.

Occasionally, Overwatch crashes my PC hard. I get a black screen while I can still hear teammates on the mic and I'm unable to get to the Task Manager. Lowering my settings is helping, I think. Temperature checks say my 1080ti temperature is in the 60s while my i7 940 Black is at 70-71C. I'm going to try NVidia's optimization and see what happens.

The CPU is the black "extreeeeme" one. It has eight cores but the clock speed is only 2.99 GHz. What does that mean for my gaming?

Cantido on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's a temperature issue. Sounds like a memory leak or something similar. Does this happen after long sessions where you haven't restarted your computer in a while?

• Options
    I don't think it's a temperature issue. Sounds like a memory leak or something similar. Does this happen after long sessions where you haven't restarted your computer in a while?

I think it does happen after long sessions.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I-ran?

SO FAR AWAAAAYYYY

• Options

Links are brokan.

The links are working again this morning...so (without a typo this time) "what ram would PC build thread recommend?"

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Whatever ewe are comfortable purchasing.

• Options
    Damnit

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Yo Dawgs, I hear you like cores. I got you some cores for your cores.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/5/17432568/amd-threadripper-32-core-processor-gaming-computex-2018

AMD promising a 32 core threadripper this year. That would have 64 threads.

alright maybe I'll hold off for this then yeah?

What would you even need that many threads for?

I mean, do it because POWER but still

I do lots of heavy threading things.

Compiling/encoding/multitasking in general

I mean I probably don't need 64 of them, but still, why not?

thumb.png

Supermicro make a quad-CPU server motherboard that can take 4 Xeon E7-8800s. It costs around $2500. The E7-8890v3 is a Xeon CPU with 18 cores and 36 threads that costs ~$7500.

72 physical cores and 144 threads out of one motherboard is possible, if you're crazy (and rich!) enough.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't think consumer OS work well with that stuff.

I also game.

So, I would need DirectX.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey nerds, how is this build looking? Am I missing anything obvious?
    CPU

Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
    $298.89 FREE $298.89 OutletPC Buy
    CPU Cooler

Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
    $57.99 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $57.99 Amazon Buy
    Motherboard

MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    $175.66 -$20.00 FREE $155.66 B&H Buy
    $20.00 mail-in rebate
    Memory

Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    $82.88 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $82.88 Amazon Buy
    Storage

Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    $71.99 FREE $71.99 Newegg Marketplace Buy

Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    $57.99 $57.99 SuperBiiz Buy
    Video Card

MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB DUKE Video Card
    $489.99 -$20.00 $4.99 $474.98 Newegg Buy
    $20.00 mail-in rebate
    Case

Rosewill - THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case
    $119.99 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $119.99 Amazon Buy
    Power Supply

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    $99.89 -$20.00 FREE $79.89 OutletPC Buy

partpicker says it can't be sure if the fan will fit in the case. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    My monitor is repaired, my computer is repaired, and I can finally Overwatch! ...kinda.

Occasionally, Overwatch crashes my PC hard. I get a black screen while I can still hear teammates on the mic and I'm unable to get to the Task Manager. Lowering my settings is helping, I think. Temperature checks say my 1080ti temperature is in the 60s while my i7 940 Black is at 70-71C. I'm going to try NVidia's optimization and see what happens.

The CPU is the black "extreeeeme" one. It has eight cores but the clock speed is only 2.99 GHz. What does that mean for my gaming?

Anyone?

I haven't built a PC in six years, and back then my roommate picked the parts, so I don't fully get CPUs and their relationship with GPUs.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You might see a cpu limitation in some games, but unless you're getting performance you're unhappy with I don't think it's worth stressing over.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    You might see a cpu limitation in some games, but unless you're getting performance you're unhappy with I don't think it's worth stressing over.

I think my Overwatch woes were the product of a setting called Rendering Scale, which was set to 141% rather than 100, causing VRAM crashes. I think its resolved now, but I don't know where that number came from. Wasn't me!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Anyone?

I haven't built a PC in six years, and back then my roommate picked the parts, so I don't fully get CPUs and their relationship with GPUs.

The CPU is the "brain" of the computer. It does all of the general calculations that drive the programs you use. A GPU is a highly specialized processor, designed to do a certain type of calculation very fast - ones that are used to render graphics. Because AMD is both a CPU and GPU maker, they make what they call APUs - CPUs where several cores on chip are replaced with GPU cores, for an all in one solution.

Processors are made up of cores, which are the actual parts that do the processing. CPUs use a small (4-8 for most consumer CPUs) number of general processor cores, GPUs use many small specialized cores. Also, CPU cores have threads, which are processing pipelines. So, if you see a processor defined as 6c/12t, this means that the processor has 6 cores that have two threads each, for a total of 12 unique processing pipelines.

Finally, you don't need an "extreme" processor unless you are planning to overclock your processor. The only difference between them and standard processors is that they have an unlocked clock multiplier, allowing overclocking. (This is only applicable to Intel - Ryzen processors are unlocked across the line.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Hey nerds, how is this build looking? Am I missing anything obvious?
    CPU

Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
    $298.89 FREE $298.89 OutletPC Buy
    CPU Cooler

Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
    $57.99 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $57.99 Amazon Buy
    Motherboard

MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    $175.66 -$20.00 FREE $155.66 B&H Buy
    $20.00 mail-in rebate
    Memory

Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    $82.88 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $82.88 Amazon Buy
    Storage

Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    $71.99 FREE $71.99 Newegg Marketplace Buy

Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    $57.99 $57.99 SuperBiiz Buy
    Video Card

MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB DUKE Video Card
    $489.99 -$20.00 $4.99 $474.98 Newegg Buy
    $20.00 mail-in rebate
    Case

Rosewill - THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case
    $119.99 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $119.99 Amazon Buy
    Power Supply

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    $99.89 -$20.00 FREE $79.89 OutletPC Buy

partpicker says it can't be sure if the fan will fit in the case. :I

Well you probably want an i7-8700k to go with that motherboard so you can overclock. Otherwise, you could switch the mobo. You also probably want 16GB of RAM, 8GB is a little low compared to the rest of the case.

• Options
    edited June 2018

Anyone?

Finally, you don't need an "extreme" processor unless you are planning to overclock your processor. The only difference between them and standard processors is that they have an unlocked clock multiplier, allowing overclocking. (This is only applicable to Intel - Ryzen processors are unlocked across the line.)

I thought the k depicted intel processors that can be overclocked. So this applies to the black labeled "extreme" processors without the k? If so I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it in the future.

Cantido on
  • Options
    I don't think they adopted the k until the 2xxx series. That thing should overclock, but do some simple searches before you spend money. A quick Google says they can overclock but (subjective from other forums) it may or may not overclock "well."

• Options
    Damnit

The best answer really is the best you can afford based of the MB's QVL. Using XML is the only way to get RAM running faster than (I think) 2400mhz on Intel boards. (Might be 2150mhz.) If that isn't a factor, get the stick you want, in the quantity you desire (min 16GB is recommended) at that speed and you can save some bucks.

When I was building mine, research showed a high chance that ~3000mhz was optimal for price/performance. But this may have changed in the last couple of years.

The ultimate answer really is to get the highest quantity and speed you can both live with and afford that is on the QVL. I believe two sticks run faster than four sticks which run faster than one stick. But practical speed is negligible for most.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I don't think they adopted the k until the 2xxx series. That thing should overclock, but do some simple searches before you spend money. A quick Google says they can overclock but (subjective from other forums) it may or may not overclock "well."

I have the processor and fan based aftermarket cooler already. Last month my 6 year old computer fried, and a shop in Koreatown cannibalized an unsold custom PC with the i7 940 Extreme, ASUS motherboard and RAM, putting my GPU, hard drives and PSU in it. My goal is just to squeeze another year or two out of the box, then I can do an entire build from scratch.

The CPU runs up to about 71C currently, I think just a little more C won't kill it...

EDIT - My next computer will totally have liquid cooling :D

Cantido on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Got a new one, is this gooood?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h7GdbX

Any trubs?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular

I have the processor and fan based aftermarket cooler already. Last month my 6 year old computer fried, and a shop in Koreatown cannibalized an unsold custom PC with the i7 940 Extreme, ASUS motherboard and RAM, putting my GPU, hard drives and PSU in it. My goal is just to squeeze another year or two out of the box, then I can do an entire build from scratch.

The CPU runs up to about 71C currently, I think just a little more C won't kill it...

Depending on your board you could run an old Westmere Xeon on that chipset. I have one that should be whole, its the 5670 and overclocked rather well to 4.2 GHz on its 6 cores. They are very cheap on ebay, usually led unstressed lives on servers.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I like your choice in case (because I have it as well) :biggrin:

Speaking of Phanteks Cases, the new Evolv X looks really nice.

I'm curious what the actual case temps will be like considering how the front is still mostly blocked off. I'm sure it'll be a bit better than original Evolv case/oven, but I doubt it'll be as good as the Airflow edition or Pro M. Although to be honest the hexagon holes in Evolv Airflow edition are ugly as sin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcF_TwUmPZ0

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    user wrote: »

Depending on your board you could run an old Westmere Xeon on that chipset. I have one that should be whole, its the 5670 and overclocked rather well to 4.2 GHz on its 6 cores. They are very cheap on ebay, usually led unstressed lives on servers.

The mobo is an ASUS 6TPD Deluxe, so I could only go up to an i7 990x Extreme. But your advice still stands on ebay!

Upon trying to start Overclocking, I used the Flowchart, and found that it takes a Clock Ratio of 23 to meet the standard 2.93GHz associated with the i7 940.

However, upon trying to go higher, the ratio will not go higher than 23. Is there a setting I am missing so I can proceed with actual overclocking? Are there any recommended clock ratios I should pursue?
    34604348_10156457987989516_2517632446489427968_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEvWNih7T6WyLV06liAob8VDYDK2IU0drZqHNZu-k4zaBtDeXtZIJwYtl9C-Nc702ktuE-F5YyRo8uCYWJK48tiWRbojqTtAHeykSe82cVQcw&oh=77d466cf11f7c9f7b82e0c18c7e7d29d&oe=5BB3DBD1

EDIT - Turning off the autotuner allows me to increase the BLCK directly. By increasing it from 133 to 141, I was able to go up to 3.10 GHZ! I didn't even mess with the voltage yet! CPU-Z says its at 1.14V during gameplay and CoreTemp says the cores don't even break 68C

Cantido on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Pump-less water cooling block

Spoilered for stupid LTT thumbnail

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I like your choice in case (because I have it as well) :biggrin:

Speaking of Phanteks Cases, the new Evolv X looks really nice.

I'm curious what the actual case temps will be like considering how the front is still mostly blocked off. I'm sure it'll be a bit better than original Evolv case/oven, but I doubt it'll be as good as the Airflow edition or Pro M. Although to be honest the hexagon holes in Evolv Airflow edition are ugly as sin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcF_TwUmPZ0

I have an s340 which has a similar blocked front. I put 2 140mm fans in the fan bays and I don't think I have gone over 50 degrees under load. My case has slots just behind the front creating a space for air flow. Probably makes the flow more laminar also.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

Dont think thats water. It could be but i really doubt it. Its most likely some volatile liquid that boils below 100c. You can make water do that at subatmospheric pressure but i doubt thats whats happening. Although maybe.

It is basically a "heat pipe" when you really think about it.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Dont think thats water. It could be but i really doubt it. Its most likely some volatile liquid that boils below 100c. You can make water do that at subatmospheric pressure but i doubt thats whats happening. Although maybe.

It's definitely not water https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3317-phase-change-cooler-and-novec-cooling-der8auer-phase-shift

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Sorry, liquid cooling.

Yeah they make it very clear that the fluid in there is a huge part of the operation. To the point where they won't say what it is.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

It's probably Novec 649 or something similiar:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Novec-649-Engineered-Fluid/?N=5002385+3290667401&rt=rud

Boiling point of 49 C

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    I think they said it's "non-Novec" but it does the same thing. Because apparently people were having issues with Novec or something (?).

I can see something like that being a bit of a bear since any minor leak just vents the vapor and reduces cooling performance. On the surface it's a pretty neat idea (yes, basically a really wide heatpipe)

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Welp. Finally got the monitor, UPS, desk, and a couple hours to assemble everything. Get the desk together, lookin' good, assemble the monitor, test the UPS, set up the peripherals, unbox the computer, take the packing foam stuff out of the case (which really seems like a terrible idea, I don't think it was anti-static), get the thing upright, adjust the filter on top when I notice it won't lie flat, there's a twist tie sticking though the vent. Open it up again, pull it inside the case, put the side back on start moving it onto position on the desk when I hear a rattle.

Not good.

I look inside the case and there's a fucking screw from the CPU cooler sitting on the graphics card. If I'd've turned it on it would've fried a $500 GPU. None of them were tightened more than a turn or two and one is completely MIA. So now I've opened up a case with New Egg support, hopefully they can just send me a replacement. As unhappy as I am that I'm the owner of a $1500 paperweight I really don't want to have to fuck around with returning it.

I'm gonna have to take the cooler off too because if dude can't be fucked to tighten four screws I don't even want to know what the thermal paste application looks like under there. Gonna have to go over everything else too. Motherfucker.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yikes, that blows. And yeah, I wouldn't want to mess around with the cooler either. If you buy a prebuilt it should just work out of the box.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any contacts or headways to get a legacy LGA-1155 Motherboard from around 2011? My Motherboard has died, and I do not have the money currently to get a new Rig. Prices of compatible mobos from vendor sites are CRAZY, and I am not 100% on risking a China/eBay buy (even though the prices are much more reasonable.)

If someone on the forum had a compatible mobo in an older rig, or laying around somewhere they'd be willing to part with I would much rather make a deal with someone here.

The motherboard that has died is a ASRock Z68 Extreme-4 anything equivalent would suffice. RAM, R9 390X, SSDs, Watercooler, and i7-2600K all appear to be OK.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I don't have an 1155 board, but I do have a 4770k and a Maximus VI Hero to go with it that I wanted to get around to selling at some point. If your RAM is DDR3 it'll work just fine, though you might need a mounting bracket for your AIO. Alternatively I also have an AIO to go with all that, a Kraken x60.

It's from my old build that I just replaced and it all still works, we can work something out if you like.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Got a new one, is this gooood?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h7GdbX

Any trubs?

The only problem I see is the small SSD. With the size of today's games I feel like 240 is the bare minimum and 500'ish would be more ideal. For around $100 you can get a 500gb drive or somewhere around $60-75 for a 240.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.