Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    They were, my first ever computer part was bought from the original NCIX location near me. I built every computer since through them but the owner came to think his poo didn't stink and he (with the help of family) has run it into the ground.

It's a sad day, as I used to love popping down the street to some of the locations but that is long gone. I built my recent PC with Amazon and Newegg, only exception was my GPU. The day I went to the store to grab it I knew the end was nigh, place was empty. The online shop was convenient this time, but I still like walking in and grabbing it all off the shelf same day.

I still think it's best to remove them from the OP as a recommended vendor for us Northerners

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    If anyone's curious, I only have one benchmark to go off of, but I have a comparison between an FX-8350 Black Edition and a Ryzen 3 1200. In 3DMark Time Spy the Ryzen 3 1200 clocked at 3.95GHz with a 1050Ti and 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 scores 33 points higher than the FX-8350 with the same GPU and 16GB 1600MHz DDR4. On the surface that's not much of an upgrade, but considering that the CPU and motherboard were essentially a cost-neutral upgrade (I made back a little more than the cost selling my old mobo + CPU + RAM), and that the Ryzen 3 1200 is the cheapest CPU in that family and it's beating out one of the high-end chips in the previous generation, I think it's a pretty solid result.

Figure I'll upgrade my graphics card next, and then the CPU to a mid-high end one when Ryzen 2 drops.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    FUKKEN LOL, or THE STORY OF BUYING MY NEW PC:

1)Shipment late by two days
    2)Parts arrive, don't have time to assemble for two days
    3)Assemble, win 7 doesn't recognize USB, spend hours trying to fix
    4)Give up, install win 10. Dark Souls Widescreen doesn't work (the game I was currently playing, super into it)
    5)Spend ~3 hours trying to fix DS, finally succeed. Close the game and go have tea with wife
    6)Get back from tea to find my system SSD FUCKIN' DIED all of a sudden.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ.

Was it a clean install of win 10 on a formatted hard drive? How old was the system ssd?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Yes, it was a clean install of win10 on a formatted drive (ssd is not called a "hard" drive, right?). I have backed up all the data literally the previous day to do it, whew! Though I wonder if it's just an incredibly lucky coincidence or did something about the new PC fuck up the SSD.

It's a bit more than two years old, fortunately still on warranty.

Mayday on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Shit my ssd is a bit more than 2 years old as well. Hope it doesn't die for unknown reasons

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Hardware fails. Sometimes quickly and sometimes after a long, long usage life.

• Options
    It was a Goodram CX100. As I've learned (just now...) it was notorious for its failures. I wouldn't worry that much, but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS back up your stuff.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Well its been a while since I backup up important documents so I might as well do that now

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Shit my ssd is a bit more than 2 years old as well. Hope it doesn't die for unknown reasons

my SSD is from 2013 and my HDD is from 2011. No backups.

dangerzone.wav

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Backing up to the cloud is easier than it's ever been. People should be doing it as often as possible.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm about to start taking the very first steps towards whatever my next machine is gonna be, as in doing the starting research and posting in here a bit

looking forward to having a tab open with an ever evolving build for the next few months. My current target is April since that's when my birthday is.. gives me time to save and also probably an influx of cash around the time I'm planning to pull the trigger

anyway, this is sort of just a 'hello' post haha. my current tower is turning 8 this January so, although it runs fine and I'll still be using it one way or another, I really think it's time to do a full and complete separate machine upgrade.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    It's allliiiveeee. So it was the motherboard. The temporary replacement/test board I ordered got here today, CPU and RAM are 100% fine. Pushing the RMA process forward with Asus now.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's allliiiveeee. So it was the motherboard. The temporary replacement/test board I ordered got here today, CPU and RAM are 100% fine. Pushing the RMA process forward with Asus now.

I clicked the awesome button, but that's still really shitty that it had to happen at all. Here's hoping your RMA goes smoothly, having to do all this extra work is a huge pain in the ass

• Options
    It was a pain in the ass, but it did give me an excuse to fix a few things I wanted to, like the tension on the AIO tubing and getting a little bit more light in there. As bright as it looks in pictures because of glare in person it's much more muted, so having some light in the upper left corner makes the white interior pop a lot more.

• Options
    You're going to have to post this thing in the rigs thread when you button it back up with the warranty MOBO...

With all the RGB enabled too

• Options
    It's mostly buttoned back up now. I'm very seriously considering just slipping the RMA board back in the box from Amazon and seeing if I can't work the system a little...

• Options
    Some_tall_guySome_tall_guy Registered User regular
    Hey everyone. So NCIX is filing for bankruptcy. I have $150 in gift cards that I received for Christmas last year.

I figure I should buy something off their website with it while I still can so I'm looking at new cases.

What's a quality midsize ATX case that I can get for around that price?

LOL ZEALURKS
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Hey everyone. So NCIX is filing for bankruptcy. I have $150 in gift cards that I received for Christmas last year.

I figure I should buy something off their website with it while I still can so I'm looking at new cases.

What's a quality midsize ATX case that I can get for around that price?

You won't be disappointed with anything Fractal or Phanteks makes in that price range. Choose what you think looks cool.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I ended up with the Fractal R5 windowless case.

Also here's an article about NCIX's demise. I suggest removing them from the list of Canadian retailers on the OP.

https://www.techspot.com/news/72137-ncix-files-bankruptcy-after-closing-all-retail-stores.html

Edit* I've been reading their forums and I'm 99% sure I wont be receiving the order. I've requested a refund of ~$162 (including the gift card amount of $150) on their official refund thread on their forum. I'll keep y'all posted if I get the $12 back on my CC or better yet if I get the full $162.

Some_tall_guy on
    LOL ZEALURKS
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'd be interested to know, I don't have that much in gift cards to use up but I pretty much assume they're useless plastic as it stands now. The way I treated NCIX through this last build and at the moment is that they are 100% dead. I would absolutely not recommend anyone send them any money until it's proven for certain you wouldn't be shoveling money into a fire pit. Even then there are better places to shop for us these days.

Speaking of, if NCIX is getting the good ol' delete from OP it's a prime opportunity to add Mikes Computer Shop to the list with a note that they're better with West Coast shoppers. Never used them myself but they have fantastic reviews and lots of positive words floating around.

Varinn on
  • Options
    Yup they're done. Forum Mod says they've had no employees since Friday.

LOL ZEALURKS
  • Options
    On a sidenote, question for everyone here. I'm at what I consider a comfortable temperature limit on my system with the shared single rad loop. I've got the FTW2 GTX 1080 at its stock clocks and an 8700k locked in at 4.8ghz. Should I reduce the overclock on the CPU and attempt to shoot for GPU gains instead? My big thing is I have good core temps on both, but my coolant is hitting 40+ Celsius already.

I primarily target 1080p/120hz and have a whole range of games in that suite so it's tough to generalize and say the processor doesn't matter. What do you think? In my head I'm thinking I should overclock the GPU as much as possible and THEN work on the CPU clocks, while aiming to keep water temps where they peak now.

• Options
    I removed NCIX from the OP. If someone wants to give me a blurb about Mike's I'll put it in there.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    On a sidenote, question for everyone here. I'm at what I consider a comfortable temperature limit on my system with the shared single rad loop. I've got the FTW2 GTX 1080 at its stock clocks and an 8700k locked in at 4.8ghz. Should I reduce the overclock on the CPU and attempt to shoot for GPU gains instead? My big thing is I have good core temps on both, but my coolant is hitting 40+ Celsius already.

I primarily target 1080p/120hz and have a whole range of games in that suite so it's tough to generalize and say the processor doesn't matter. What do you think? In my head I'm thinking I should overclock the GPU as much as possible and THEN work on the CPU clocks, while aiming to keep water temps where they peak now.

If 40C is what the parts are hitting you're freezing your GPU and pretty chilly on CPU. OC away.

If it's not, well, we need those numbers.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Ouch, that sucks :( I thought NCIX was pretty popular in Canada, at least the online portion?

Dang. That was my understanding as well. I exclusively used them when I built my current computer back in 2013.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    NCIX used to be the primary/only way of ordering computer parts online, which meant they had an early price advantage. As companies either moved into online sales, or just grew themselves, NCIX stopped being better on price for many things. And, in my opinion, they had a worse customer experience than nearly any other retailer at this point.

They had the seat at the head of the table, and just let everyone else pass them by.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    NCIX used to be the primary/only way of ordering computer parts online, which meant they had an early price advantage. As companies either moved into online sales, or just grew themselves, NCIX stopped being better on price for many things. And, in my opinion, they had a worse customer experience than nearly any other retailer at this point.

They had the seat at the head of the table, and just let everyone else pass them by.

Linus and Luke discussed why they left/what they think went wrong on the WAN show Friday. This should be the link for the start of the discussion - https://youtube.com/watch?v=KMaWSinw4MI&t=2493s

I'll be interested to see if Linus ever does a PROPER deconstruction of NCIX once they are fully bankrupt, because he definitely pulls some punches here so as to not throw anyone under the bus at NCIX.

But yes thanks for removing them from the OP, they're full done as of December 1.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    So oddly I have one CPU core on my 8700K that is routinely 1-2C warmer than the other cores idle, but always seems to come out 1-2C cooler under load. I may need to redo my thermal paste as I don't remember that discrepancy being there before.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It won't hurt, obviously, but on the other hand no real reason to bother doing it unless that 1-2 degrees bother you that much.

• Options
    It bothers me only in so far as I didn't do my normal squirt-and-spread technique with the paste when I did the rebuild this weekend, I just dotted a pea on there and let the cold plate spread it around...which clearly left a tiny bit of unevenness. Frankly it may just work itself out over time as Kryonaut stays pretty fluid for a long time, especially when it gets warm. It's just my PC OCD nagging at me.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Or, you applied it just fine and the one core is just an odd duck.

• Options
    Except it wsn't doing that before I had to pop it off the dead board and put it on the new one and re-do the paste.

• Options
    Which could also mean the MB is mis-reporting. Or, even reporting correctly.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Without fiddling with voltages or anything more than the stock cooler, I've successfully overclocked my new Ryzen 7 1700 (base 3.0 GHz) to 3.9 GHz. Temps are stable in the low 40s C, but at 4.2 GHz it won't post, 4.1 GHz won't load Windows at all, and 4.0 GHz hangs during Windows loading. 3.9 though, no problems, everything is smooth and silky.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Final back up in progress

New PC to arrive by 6pm UK time. Much excitement

• Options
    My new SSD - m.2 corsair mp500 just arrived, looks like I'm just gonna get my money back for the old one that failed. Never thought these things are so tiny.
    In any case, that's my new build complete for now, safe for the case, which is waiting for Christmas. But since that is obviously the most important visual factor, no photos from me! :P

• Options
    My new SSD - m.2 corsair mp500 just arrived, looks like I'm just gonna get my money back for the old one that failed. Never thought these things are so tiny.
    In any case, that's my new build complete for now, safe for the case, which is waiting for Christmas. But since that is obviously the most important visual factor, no photos from me! :P
    I'm imagining your PC right now looks like a murder scene where the victim's organs are just littered on the floor :P

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I'm imagining your PC right now looks like a murder scene where the victim's organs are just littered on the floor :P

Shame about the dog...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Haha, the old mobo is actually neatly stored in a box, with the old CPU, cooling and GPU inserted - I connected them to the PSU to test something when switching hardware.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    That Linus video had some funny parts. "The company made some good hiring choices. Except for Steve. Fuck Steve."

This discussion has been closed.