As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm surprised at the C7 starting to be flaky, I bought it on its rep. I had the wifi completely drop out across all devices twice today and for the last two weeks I've had periodic stoppages of webpages loading for 30-60 seconds at a go. I only updated my modem this year and it's not that, so I guess 3.5 years is a good run but just in case it keeps getting worse to the point of uselessness I just wanted some options. Thanks you two.

Might be worth updating the firmware, or at least re-flashing it if it's already at the latest.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ardor wrote: »
    On the topic of routers, if I wanted to buy one to stop giving xfinity $10 a month, any recommendations you folks might have?

You need to also buy a cable modem. They tend to go on sale often, so start with Wirecutter to get an idea of what's good or bad, then check sites like Slickdeals for ones on sale.

You connect the cable modem to your router and you're good to go.

Also important to check whether its on your internet provider's list of approved modems. I bought my own modem almost 2 years ago and havent had a single issue (Netgear CM1000).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Some ISP's (Spectrum, I'm looking at you) have zero approved modems

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Spectrum gives you a modem for free though. Not rented or even sold, given.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That_Guy wrote: »

Yeah but it's shit.

There's a reason I dumped Spectrum the second I was able to. The equipment was garbage and I was getting calls weekly for "special promotions!" even after being placed on a "do not contact" list and just fuck that company from top to bottom.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Yeah but it's shit.

There's a reason I dumped Spectrum the second I was able to. The equipment was garbage and I was getting calls weekly for "special promotions!" even after being placed on a "do not contact" list and just fuck that company from top to bottom.

Is that not illegal?

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Yeah but it's shit.

Is that not illegal?

It sure is!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I have savings. I can slap together a budget build.

I'm using the entry level build from PCpartpicker
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium Gold G5400 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor
    Motherboard: *MSI - B360M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: *Patriot - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Storage: *Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: *Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: *Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.68 @ Newegg)
    Total: $336.63
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-10 01:10 EST-0500

Your cpu has no price. Is this something you already have?

I would probably try and go AMD for any budget builds these days. Ryzen is good stuff.

example of a faster system and should be close to the same price if you actually do have to buy that cpu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xJk8mq

Huh, i'm not married to intel. I just do not want to be stuck with the betamax of ramm

Edit: changed motherboard to one with higher rating

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MWj7dX

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    2400 vs 2666 ain't exactly Betamax.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at getting a gaming upgrade for my son, leaning towards a desktop for future upgradability but not opposed to a laptop for a good price. I threw together a Ryzen 3 system on PCPartPicker, trying to keep it as cheap as possible while not going complete bargain basement, and without video card (I have an R9 280X that I can use) it's still about $650 (including monitor, OS, and everything else). Does that seem like a reasonable price or are there better/cheaper options? We were hoping for something in the $500 range, and it doesn't have to be great, just an upgrade from his 4 year old laptop. Should I go with an older CPU?

Here are the parts for reference:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Walmart)
    Case: Rosewill - SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ Walmart)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.61 @ Newegg Business)
    Monitor: Sceptre - E225W-1920 22.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($74.70 @ Walmart)
    Keyboard: Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.99 @ Target)
    Mouse: Logitech - B100 Wired Optical Mouse ($7.95 @ Monoprice)
    Total: $617.17
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-11 19:11 EST-0500

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm surprised at the C7 starting to be flaky, I bought it on its rep. I had the wifi completely drop out across all devices twice today and for the last two weeks I've had periodic stoppages of webpages loading for 30-60 seconds at a go. I only updated my modem this year and it's not that, so I guess 3.5 years is a good run but just in case it keeps getting worse to the point of uselessness I just wanted some options. Thanks you two.

Might be worth updating the firmware, or at least re-flashing it if it's already at the latest.

Good call. I've updated it (and finding there was a note about the C7 having instability issues without more recent updates on TP Link's page) and we'll see how it goes.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    There are two things I want to get this holiday season for myself.

One of these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932064

And one of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1424893-REG/asus_pg27uq_27_rog_swift_4k.html?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw5_fBRCSARIsAGodhk-l1j5y9hoVn2kMda9sPuX4_Er46Zt1GaozLzGC0M6qp0xktIX92roaAjbVEALw_wcB&smp=y

If anybody sees anything even approaching the tiniest of deals on either item or equivalent item let me know.

Outside of this I won't be spending any more big money on myself, except for possibly Valve's new VR headset that was leaked, for about about a year.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I finally got the green light on my EVGA step-up from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti. Was in the queue since September 26th, and bought my 1080ti on July 3rd on promotion not an unreasonable amount of time.

I now gotta figure out what waterblock might be a good fit for it.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    user wrote: »
    I finally got the green light on my EVGA step-up from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti. Was in the queue since September 26th, and bought my 1080ti on July 3rd on promotion not an unreasonable amount of time.

I know Steve at GN was messing with 1 or 2 blocks. I also know that he got one so early that he was using coolers that had a "close enough" bolt pattern and allowed for some play; granted those were AIOs (from what I remember). By now, there should be 2080 Ti-specific blocks. Maybe check what Jay is using?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

If you want to watercool it just make sure you have a reference design card. EKWB and Bitspower may at some point make blocks for non-reference design cards but who knows what the time on those will be.

I have a Heatkiller block for my 1080 and it's a goddamn work of art. However, blocks are all going to perform within a few degrees of one another, so just choose the one you like the looks of best.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    If it's still available, I can get Acronis True Image 2017 for $10 US at Newegg. I had an old-old version of the program I have since lost the disk and key for, so I don't mind this. I have some uses for it in the near future; namely converting some laptops in the family to SSDs. Is that incarnation of the program worth it? Would it be more worthwhile to pick up a more current version? All I plan to do is clone drives; so I don't need it to do anything spectacular.

I may toy around with it to make a diagnostic/repair USB key, but that's a long term project.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »

If you want to watercool it just make sure you have a reference design card. EKWB and Bitspower may at some point make blocks for non-reference design cards but who knows what the time on those will be.

I have a Heatkiller block for my 1080 and it's a goddamn work of art. However, blocks are all going to perform within a few degrees of one another, so just choose the one you like the looks of best.

Thanks for the heads up, I am pretty sure this EVGA 2080Ti XC(not XC2) Black Edition:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2282-KR

Which is my replacement SKU, is a reference board with the XC cooler, which honestly looks exactly like the ICx on my 1080ti cooler on top.

I'll probably go with an Alphacool Block, since I have my whole loop made using their rads and cpu block.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Yeah but it's shit.

I don't think I've ever gotten a promotional phone call from Charter Spectrum. Then again, even if I did, considering they are far and away the least terrible option for internet where I live in Georgia, I wouldn't leave them. The next option is DSL or crappy Fiber--it's no contest.

More relevantly, I doubt modems are "gifts" in my area, but we're not charged a monthly fee for one (at least the first one). Which is probably just a clever scheme to bypass people buying their own cable modems, so they absorb it and raise the service price accordingly :confused:

Eh, they're still the best internet over here by a long shot. Their basic 100 mbps down, which I finally got over the 60 that I was stuck with for ages without changing my plan, is...what? 15 times faster than AT&T DSL at the same price?

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Considering some possible PC upgrades.
    Here's what I have now:
    • i5-3570K
    • Stock Cooler
    • ASUS P8Z77-V
    • G.Skill Trident X16 2x8GB DDR3-2400
    • ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4GB
    • Corsair 200R ATX Midtower
    • EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W
    • Win7 Ult x64
    • 2x Asus VG248QE 144Hz
    • Some cheapass 104-key with the reverse-L enter, full-size F-keys, & numpad; I won't use any other layout.

Coworker is offering this for $900:
    • i5-8400 2.8 GHz
    • CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM Cooler
    • MSI Z370-A PRO
    • G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2400
    • Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    • NZXT S340 ATX Midtower (ugh, case windows)
    • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W
    • Win10 Home x64
    • AOC Q2778VQE LED Monitor 60Hz
    • steelseries Arctis Pro wireless headphones
    • CORSAIR Gaming K65 KB (blech)
    Decent offer, with all internals being some degree of improvement. The extra monitor would go nicely with my Steamlink.

That said, I feel much of what I have doesn't need replacing. A new mainboard, CPU, and RAM should be enough to modernize my current build. That seems to end up being ~$450 for an i5-8400 w/16GB and a just-okay mainboard; $500+ if I bought a deluxe board. Would the closest AMD CPU/cooler/board/RAM upgrade fix my huge CPU bottleneck for a lot less, or am I looking at $450+ either way?

Thoughts?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Are you hitting any FPS bottlenecks on anything? You shouldn't have a huge CPU bottlenecks.

I don't think you'd see a massive improvement for $900. It would be some, but the CPU would be a wash mostly, the GPU is better but not mind blowingly and you could get that separate. As you said, better off updating your current rig for less. As for AMD you could save a little (like $15 or so) and get like 15% better performance I think going with a 2600X. So a wash more or less there too.

Mostly if you're willing to upgrade your current PC, probably better path than the $900 one.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I'm running dual 1080p monitors at 120Hz (formerly 144). I don't hit the performance I should with a 970; never have. It got noticably worse after the Meltdown patches, especially streaming performance. Everything points to the dated CPU holding it back.

If AMD can offer superior performance for less, I'll need to learn about their motherboards. Where can I learn about 2600X-compatible AMD chipsets available on ASUS boards?

IceBurner on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Unless you're planning to do serious overclocking or need oodles of PCI slots, then a B450 is the chipset you want. If you do need all those things I mentioned then an X470 is the way to go.

I have an MSI Tomahawk B450 and it's been pretty great so far.

• Options
    Part one of my new workstation battlestation is complete. The keyboard tray is installed and operational. When folded it fits perfect into the alcove under my desk. When extended I have plenty of room for reclining. It'll still be a few weeks for the chair to be delivered though. Even with my old chair and the ottoman I was more comfortable last night than I had had ever been at that desk.
    6dre7qdblf1v.jpg
    fxf5y191n8ns.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Part one of my new workstation battlestation is complete. The keyboard tray is installed and operational. When folded it fits perfect into the alcove under my desk. When extended I have plenty of room for reclining. It'll still be a few weeks for the chair to be delivered though. Even with my old chair and the ottoman I was more comfortable last night than I had had ever been at that desk.
    Don't know the full story, but it sounds like you dodged the developing injury bullet, which is awesome; being broken by your hobby sucks, even if you do recover.

Any computer desk needs to present its KBAM at a height custom-fit to its user. Just using the desktop will eventually injure anyone's body. The elbow-height writing desk standard makes a terrible typing surface. While there's increased public awareness, it doesn't yet seem to be "the norm"; people are still commonly injured by poor desk setups.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Don't know the full story, but it sounds like you dodged the developing injury bullet, which is awesome; being broken by your hobby sucks, even if you do recover.

Any computer desk needs to present its KBAM at a height custom-fit to its user. Just using the desktop will eventually injure anyone's body. The elbow-height writing desk standard makes a terrible typing surface. While there's increased public awareness, it doesn't yet seem to be "the norm"; people are still commonly injured by poor desk setups.

Is this something one can do alone?
    I have a chair that doesn't go very high and no keyboard tray so as a result my arm alignment is right around the bottom of my ribcage (straight out, arms not bent much).
    I haven't noticed any big issues but this does aggravate an already existing shoulder injury.

I guess I can just google self-ergo assessment.

• Options
    I've got a chair that has fairly high armrests, and I keep the chair height a bit on the high side so that my elbows are supported. I've also got a wrist rest for typing, which is more vital than I every originally expected.

• Options
    My 1080Ti is in the hands of @UPS , I also live in SoCal where EVGA is located so hopefully the turn-over time is fast for the 2080Ti step-up. I'm on Ryzen so I can't run my machine without a graphics card.

• Options

A few months back I hurt my wrist trying to install a new belt on my washer. It started hurting pretty bad when I was at my desk in any position but sitting straight upright. On top of that, I'd been using the shelf under my desk with a pillow on it as a footrest. It was never very comfortable and caused stress on my hip joints. Over the last few months this has been taking a high toll on my body. I ordered a super high end power adjust recliner to replace my current chair which is falling apart. It's a custom order so it's just going to take a while to get it.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Is this something one can do alone?
    I have a chair that doesn't go very high and no keyboard tray so as a result my arm alignment is right around the bottom of my ribcage (straight out, arms not bent much).
    I haven't noticed any big issues but this does aggravate an already existing shoulder injury.

I guess I can just google self-ergo assessment.
    While OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the US Dept. of Labor) may be charged with workplace safety, computer desks are just that regardless of where they are. They've got a handy guide regarding computer desk ergonomics. Didn't spot an OSHA assessment, though that doesn't rule out its existence.

There's dozens of self-assessments online by educational, government, and commercial institutions. There are checklists, documents, and even youtube videos, all indexed by major search engines. Obviously, none come with any guarantees when self-administered. If you want to be absolutely sure what you're doing, get the help of your medical doctor (or their referral to a specialist).

No one deserves to be wounded by the understated hazards of the hobby we all love. Seating and desk space likely deserve to be thought of as part of the initial build; the only parts that can reasonably last a lifetime. If that were conventional wisdom, barely anyone would get hurt by this. We're not there yet. While we're not doctors, we can encourage people to be aware, listen to their bodies, and not put up with the problem.

• Options
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/battlefield-v-raytracing-features-are-now-enabled.html

BFV RTX benchmarks are in.

Ultra RTX means BFV doesn't even run 60 fps at 1080p

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    That doesn't surprise me, ray tracing is a very heavy technique. It's pretty amazing they got it performing that well even. I guess the question is how much framerate are you willing to give up for really, really nice reflections.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I can answer that for like, everyone: None at all!

They'll sell like 200 of those things...

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Anyone with an older system looking for a more modest upgrade AMD is set up launch the RX590 today it seems to be slightly better then a GTX1060 and priced at about $280-ish USD AND comes with Resident Evil 2 (2019), Devil May Cry 5 and The Division 2.

which is a hell of a bundle, but it is a low end upgrade.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Anyone with an older system looking for a more modest upgrade AMD is set up launch the RX590 today it seems to be slightly better then a GTX1060 and priced at about $280-ish USD AND comes with Resident Evil 2 (2019), Devil May Cry 5 and The Division 2.

Low-end? I don't think I've ever bought a graphics card that cost more than $200.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Low-end? I don't think I've ever bought a graphics card that cost more than $200.

Video cards are a fair bit more expensive than they used to be, it feels like. Even compared to 5-6 years ago.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Used to be $200 would be the enthusiast price point. These days it seems like that's shifted to $300+.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    well, i guess i'll just comfort myself with no RTX and 60fps 4k performance in battlefield 5 out of my 1080 ti

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Used to be $200 would be the enthusiast price point. These days it seems like that's shifted to $300+.

Enthusiast GPUs were never $200.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    $200 was "middling" for a GPU wasn't it?

Enthusiast was $600-800.

Then nvidia realized they could capitalize on the desperation people had because of crypto and they've kept their prices nearly at 1k for enthusiast prices

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Many years ago $200 was the baseline for something you could play games on. Enthusiast or "bang for the buck" was $300-400. Then high end was $500+. Prices are significantly higher than they used to be :(

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.