As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I've been playing a lot of GG Xrd Rev 2 lately.

I feel like over the last few days I've had a major breakthrough with fighting game play in general. I actually find myself thinking about oki and mixups now. I don't always execute them correctly, and I still need A LOT of work on confirms and leading in to combos correctly....but at least I'm starting to actively think about pressure strings and what to do when I knock people down. I also need a lot of work on timing meatys...but again, the thought is there at least.

Guilty Gear has so many systems on top of systems, but I've found it far easier to get in to than I expected. A lot of the systems I've barely interacted with (like Blitz shields), but I've learned to use a lot of them quickly enough (faultless defense and RC's come to mind). I think....I think I might be a dirty anime player? I'm just waiting for GBVS to go on sale at this point as I really want to play that as well.

I have had Xrd Rev 2 for some time, never really played it much because I bought it once the interest had waned.

Any interest in messing around at all online? Would be neat to know I didn't have to search for opponents to get vs matches in it and maybe learn something.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Kai_San wrote: »
    So I've been playing a lot of GG Xrd Rev 2 lately.

I feel like over the last few days I've had a major breakthrough with fighting game play in general. I actually find myself thinking about oki and mixups now. I don't always execute them correctly, and I still need A LOT of work on confirms and leading in to combos correctly....but at least I'm starting to actively think about pressure strings and what to do when I knock people down. I also need a lot of work on timing meatys...but again, the thought is there at least.

Guilty Gear has so many systems on top of systems, but I've found it far easier to get in to than I expected. A lot of the systems I've barely interacted with (like Blitz shields), but I've learned to use a lot of them quickly enough (faultless defense and RC's come to mind). I think....I think I might be a dirty anime player? I'm just waiting for GBVS to go on sale at this point as I really want to play that as well.

I have had Xrd Rev 2 for some time, never really played it much because I bought it once the interest had waned.

Any interest in messing around at all online? Would be neat to know I didn't have to search for opponents to get vs matches in it and maybe learn something.

I'd be happy to play some rounds online. Only issue with GG Xrd is connection. Where are you located? I can generally play most people in the US with decent internet and only get a couple frames of delay. Anything over 6 or 7 frames of delay becomes like playing in mud.

If you just want to find people to play, I can link to the GG Xrd Discord I'm in that has a lobby bot that people add lobbies to all the time, generally based on region so you're more likely to get a good connection. I play in the beginner lobby pool and I never have trouble getting good matches with decent delay frames. Even when I find someone who maybe isn't a "beginner" and bodies me, I've yet to find anyone that wasn't helpful with advice and tips on how to beat their shenanigans.

e: And all this connection BS is exactly why rollback finally starting to take hold is so important. I'm really looking forward to Strive just for this reason. I'm also excited that Arcsys has said they want to retrofit rollback to some of their existing games. The scuttlebutt is that DBFZ and GBVS seem the most likely to get a rollback patch at some point.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Chances are DBFZ won't get rollback unless Bandai Namco foots the bill for it to happen. GBVS is in a similar boat with Cygames. The publisher would likely have to be the ones that initiate that.

Much more likely is rollback being implemented in BlazBlue: Crosstag Battle (or other BlazBlue or Guilty Gear games) since that was published by ArcSys (except for in the EU, where it was published by PQube).

However, if they make a DBFZ2 (which, why the hell wouldn't they, the first one sold super well) and Arc Sys is developing it again, well, then it will 100% be getting that good good rollback netcode.

Cruor on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I have a feeling it's only going to be recent Unreal based games. My assumption is that they are only entertaining it because it's just back porting their networking components in to their previous Unreal-based engine versions.

e: I'd happily take it in GG Xrd, because I see myself continuing to play it even after Strive releases. I like Strive a lot, but I feel like Xrd plays different enough that I'll continue to enjoy both.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnI6XM6_CDY

Punch girls good
    (As a 12 year practictioner this is about as vanilla as karate form gets lol)

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The Them's Fightin' Herds April Fools FHTNG dakimakura covers finally went out :D Ended up being really nice and high quality.

RtFM9nq.png?1

cuc1vwz.png?1

Never thought I'd get a dakimakura cover of a book.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown out on PS4 / PS+.

Played a bit after it dropped and it's fun. I'm very bad at it, much like any fighting game I play, but I think I'm getting really into it, at least until I give up because of how bad I'm at it. Anyway, I'm Stabbity_Style on PSN if you wanna hit me up and get a room going at some point or something.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am going to be beating up people with Jacky / getting beaten up ALL DAY AND NIGHT and I am here for it. Time to shake off the rust.

As Stabbity said, add me as well if anyone wants tot rumble.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Played a bit after it dropped and it's fun. I'm very bad at it, much like any fighting game I play, but I think I'm getting really into it, at least until I give up because of how bad I'm at it. Anyway, I'm Stabbity_Style on PSN if you wanna hit me up and get a room going at some point or something.

To be fair, almost everyone is bad at VF because of how difficult it is. I remember back in 2003, we held a VF4 tournament at my EB Games store. The turn out was only 12 people, which was small compared to the other tournaments we'd run (SF/Smash would get 40-60 easily).

So I set the bracket up and needed convinced a few people to give it a try. Once we got started, it was pretty obvious that almost everyone in the tournament had never played the game before. A lot of button mashing and direction spamming for moves. Mostly people were taking Akira and Jacky because they resembled Ryu and Ken. :)

Our first two matches went by and then this soft-spoken dude is up. He takes Akira (of course!) and proceeds to absolutely DESTROY his opponent in like 5 seconds. Like, he did a quick 3-hit combo and then squashed him as he got up. It was brutal.

The entire store stopped and everyone knew right there that this tournament was over. He quickly breezed through everyone and claimed his prize. After the tournament he mentioned he'd been playing VF since the first game and never could find anyone else to play with. It's the sad reality of VF fans. They're so few since the game never got a mass following.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »

To be fair, almost everyone is bad at VF because of how difficult it is. I remember back in 2003, we held a VF4 tournament at my EB Games store. The turn out was only 12 people, which was small compared to the other tournaments we'd run (SF/Smash would get 40-60 easily).

So I set the bracket up and needed convinced a few people to give it a try. Once we got started, it was pretty obvious that almost everyone in the tournament had never played the game before. A lot of button mashing and direction spamming for moves. Mostly people were taking Akira and Jacky because they resembled Ryu and Ken. :)

Our first two matches went by and then this soft-spoken dude is up. He takes Akira (of course!) and proceeds to absolutely DESTROY his opponent in like 5 seconds. Like, he did a quick 3-hit combo and then squashed him as he got up. It was brutal.

The entire store stopped and everyone knew right there that this tournament was over. He quickly breezed through everyone and claimed his prize. After the tournament he mentioned he'd been playing VF since the first game and never could find anyone else to play with. It's the sad reality of VF fans. They're so few since the game never got a mass following.

Well, the netplay for VF5:US seems really good, so it's got that going for it. And even by VF player standards, I'm bad at it. Like, I'm bad at all fighting games. Probably doesn't help that I apparently chose one of the harder characters in the game as my main, though. It's not my fault Vanessa is the coolest person in the game. Might give Sarah a shot, too, tho. I like her kicking style and she looks cool.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Watching a person destroying in VF is way more brutal and impressive than in any other fighting game.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Watching a person destroying in VF is way more brutal and impressive than in any other fighting game.

Helps that the animations are top tier. Each character has like 200+ moves. It's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXZLm6yHqI

Especially the wrestling characters, though. They really went all out making them proper wrestlers.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I was very..very..VERY good at VF2.

I skipped 3 because it didn't come out in arcades near me, sadly.

VF 4 evo I was pretty good at it.

Feeling VERY rusty as I play 5 this morning. Can't find a button config I am comfortable with and I think I'm subconsciously going back to muscle memory for older games lol.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Feeling VERY rusty as I play 5 this morning. Can't find a button config I am comfortable with and I think I'm subconsciously going back to muscle memory for older games lol.

Haha, I'm having the same problem. I keep doing 4evo inputs.

I settled on button config for now, though I may move G+K down to the heavy kick position
    P, K, G+K, G+P+K
    G

@Stabbity Style I'm a Sarah player, so let me know if you want to jump into PSN chat for a quick walkthrough. I'm templewulf on PSN

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

I settled on button config for now, though I may move G+K down to the heavy kick position
    P, K, G+K, G+P+K
    G

@Stabbity Style I'm a Sarah player, so let me know if you want to jump into PSN chat for a quick walkthrough. I'm templewulf on PSN

I'll need to figure out how to get a mic setup with my fightstick, lol. I wonder if you can just have the PS5 controller on off to the side and use that as a mic XD

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

P, K, G+K, G+P+K
    G

I'll need to figure out how to get a mic setup with my fightstick, lol. I wonder if you can just have the PS5 controller on off to the side and use that as a mic XD

If it's like the PS4, each controller is logged into a different profile. *However*, you can use most USB wireless headsets.

We can also work something out over discord as well

• Options

P, K, G+K, G+P+K
    G

If it's like the PS4, each controller is logged into a different profile. *However*, you can use most USB wireless headsets.

We can also work something out over discord as well

Yeah, just tried it, set up the ps5 controller as a second controller, which should work if we do a party or something. Anyway, I'm down to play tomorrow night. I think I'm hovering somewhere around 25% in ranked, lol.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Actually ended up fighting Spooky of Team Spooky last night. If you want to see the Virtua Fighter rust in all the glory....

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1042783263?t=02h55m37s

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I'm liking how the game appears to have a more deliberate pace. Has a weighty feel, and gives the hits a real sense of impact.

But is it just me or do the sound effects seem like 16-bit/32-bit era games? They feel really dated.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm liking how the game appears to have a more deliberate pace. Has a weighty feel, and gives the hits a real sense of impact.

But is it just me or do the sound effects seem like 16-bit/32-bit era games? They feel really dated.

They do and I love it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

They do and I love it.

I love how watching VF matches seems like nothing's changed since VF2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

They do and I love it.

I love how watching VF matches seems like nothing's changed since VF2.

To be fair, VF5 came out in 2005.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I just don't like the way VF feels to play. Just not for me. I'm still hard on that Guilty Gear kick right now. Playing Xrd until Strive comes out next week.

• Options
    I'm still convinced VF 4 was the best in the series (and 2 has a special place in my heart in that I like it even more than 4). Something about 5 has always bugged me and I don't know what it is.

• Options
    I just don't like the way VF feels to play. Just not for me. I'm still hard on that Guilty Gear kick right now. Playing Xrd until Strive comes out next week.

If it is on PC I would love to get destroyed in the game as practice before the new one comes out.

I bought Xrd 2nd Rev super late so not many people were playing. I never put much time into it unfortunately. I want to get into Strive when it is fresh.

• Options

If it is on PC I would love to get destroyed in the game as practice before the new one comes out.

I bought Xrd 2nd Rev super late so not many people were playing. I never put much time into it unfortunately. I want to get into Strive when it is fresh.

I do play on PC! I'm not real good, mind you, so you might be surprised who does the destroying :D I just really like playing Guilty Gear, it feels great. I think my Steam profile is in my signature.

• Options

I do play on PC! I'm not real good, mind you, so you might be surprised who does the destroying :D I just really like playing Guilty Gear, it feels great. I think my Steam profile is in my signature.

I'll jump on tonight and see if we can get some matches in.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

I hope they cut down on the option-selects in VF6, especially Guard+Throw-break. There's no counter-play or decisions, you just do it every time you block and it's super annoying; if you broke throws with only the Guard button it would be functionally the same.

• Options

Not sure what time zone you're in, I'm PST. I'm going out on a date tonight so I may be out late. If I'm not on look tomorrow night and I should be around gaming a bit more.

• Options
    Deans wrote: »

I hope they cut down on the option-selects in VF6, especially Guard+Throw-break. There's no counter-play or decisions, you just do it every time you block and it's super annoying; if you broke throws with only the Guard button it would be functionally the same.

I don't mind that specifically, because the best throws are usually front or back escape. If people are escaping your throws, start doing the other directions.

That said, high level VF sometimes requires a level of APM that I'm not comfortable with. 2288[G]+P (sidestep, cancel failed sidestep into dash, cancel dash into guard, hold G and then hold P for throw escape, possibly plus a direction). I'm just not that interested in pressing that many buttons to cover all options!

• Options
    Deans wrote: »

I don't mind that specifically, because the best throws are usually front or back escape. If people are escaping your throws, start doing the other directions.

That said, high level VF sometimes requires a level of APM that I'm not comfortable with. 2288[G]+P (sidestep, cancel failed sidestep into dash, cancel dash into guard, hold G and then hold P for throw escape, possibly plus a direction). I'm just not that interested in pressing that many buttons to cover all options!

Yeah the APM is what annoys me, not people breaking my throws (literally never had a throw broken yet, still in 2P spam land. Thank god for Goh's 6K) But every time I get thrown it's like, why didn't you option-select you stupid fool. You'd get thrown probably 40% less if you'd option-select you drooling monkey.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    That might be what killed my interest in VF the first time around. The APM and what you're doing kind of goes against the...ugh, spirit?....of VF / fighting games in my mind. I've always hated option selects, but VF seems to magnify it. I just want decisions to matter and to mind game the hell out of people.

Don't get me wrong, you can mind game big time in VF still....but yeah.

The other bit is just a 3D problem in general. I'm aware juggling is functionally the same here as in 2D fighters and is a combo system, but I just hate it in 3D fighters. They're more realistic, for lack of a better term, and seeing people get juggled just gives me a fighting game version of fighting game uncanny valley.

It's a personal problem, I acknowledge this.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    That might be what killed my interest in VF the first time around. The APM and what you're doing kind of goes against the...ugh, spirit?....of VF / fighting games in my mind. I've always hated option selects, but VF seems to magnify it. I just want decisions to matter and to mind game the hell out of people.

The other bit is just a 3D problem in general. I'm aware juggling is functionally the same here as in 2D fighters and is a combo system, but I just hate it in 3D fighters. They're more realistic, for lack of a better term, and seeing people get juggled just gives me a fighting game version of fighting game uncanny valley.

OSes can be cool when they add layers to the mind games, like shimmies and flash-ducking. Good ones are usually based on precise timing, and forcing players to vary their timing can open up all sorts of extra options. The Guard/Throw OS in VF is particularly annoying to me because there's no counter-play or layers to it, you just have to do it or your defense is dramatically weaker. It's important enough that they even put it in the tutorial. At that point just make it so you break throws with G instead of G+P and save our fingers some extra effort.

• Options

Not sure what time zone you're in, I'm PST. I'm going out on a date tonight so I may be out late. If I'm not on look tomorrow night and I should be around gaming a bit more.

Est. So yeah doesn't sound like a go tonight. I will add you though

• Options
    edited June 2021

My trick is to know I'm never going to be good enough where APM matters.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Started slapping buttons in Strive last night. I didn't play the second beta, just had a busy weekend when it was active...but man it really does feel different than the first beta. I think my Xrd hands are getting in my way a little bit. I'm having trouble finding good combo routes with Ky. I know they changed the gatling system, but the combos seem a lot more cancel heavy now than they used to be...almost more street fighterish? It's not a bad or a good thing, just something I'm feeling in my hands.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I'm probably gonna jump into Strive this weekend (on PC, hopefully they add crossplay eventually). In watching a good amount of gameplay of the betas I'm thinking of either starting with Potemkin (I love a good grappler), Faust (love his design), or I-No (hear she has some of the most combo freedom in the game along with Sol). I'm also interested in picking up Zato eventually but I want to get the feel of the game down before I try a super technical character.

Cruor on
  • Options
    I went PS4 because a) buying deluxe got me immediate access + the season pass, and b) I figure that's where the most players will be. I have to run the PS4 version on my PS5 to use my Hitbox, which is a bit annoying, but not game breaking.

If they eventually get PC crossplay going I'll pick it up on PC on sale.