As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[3D Printing] A toy to build toys...New to the hobby....

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Nah, the anycubic just has a massively inflated MSRP... it's regularly on their site for $419 $289

That's good, I've been feeling kind of stressed about getting the one on anycubic. I'll just continue my plan on seeing whether the one on amazon goes on sale on black Friday or cyber Monday and grab one.

If you grab one, don't pay for the deal that comes with resin.... the stock resin is, from what I've read, really bad to get on your skin and generates some rather noxious fumes.

The plant-based resin is supposed to be far less toxic and generates almost no odor

Yea, a recommended video popped up on youtube about anycubic photon printer safety and that resin sounds real bad.

So with my plan to get a 3D printer on black Friday or cyber Monday, should I stick with the anycubic photon or is there a better resin printer to look for on sale?

@Echo might be a better resource for that question... Most of the resin printer stuff I've seen has been about the photon, but I don't know if there's better bang for your buck with other brands.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've still been having so much trouble getting my bed level. It seems random, sometimes my springs on the right need to be totally compressed for the extruder to have clearance, sometimes there's plenty of room. Compressing all springs, the bed reads level relative to the bottom of the frame / the ground, but not the extruder, which sees the right side as higher. I thought maybe my x-axis gantry was crooked, but measuring from it to the bottom of the frame reads equal on both sides, so what the hell. There's only two elements here, and they're both level, so why are they not level relative to each other!?

(Also yeh, the metal bed is slightly warped, but not that much, and I've got a glass plate on it anyway)

Only advice I've gotten was to raise the Z stop a little to give me more room to level, but that doesn't solve the underlying issue that this imbalance is not always present. Something is obviously loose and throwing stuff off. Worried I need to do a full rebuild. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I'm looking into getting my first 3D printer, likely an Ender 3 Pro. Does anyone know of any deals coming up soon? I'm hoping to find one for under 200, or close to it.
    This will be mostly for hobby prints, maybe some board game bits and hopefully some random house repairs.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Be looking at reviews for affordable resin printers and I'm not sure I'm gonna get an anycubic now. The epax1 seems better and the elegoo also seems better than the anycubic.

I also keep hearing the anycubic photon commonly comes with a warped plate.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    Can I use the plant based resin from anycubic on am epax resin printer? I figure the resin is pretty universal, just want to be sure.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Did a teardown and rebuilt, and partway through, my x-gantry was finally level! Then I finished and it was still off by 1mm. Which is... technically acceptable. I suppose. :I

At least I finally got the feet of the Ender 3 level. It now sits flat on a surface - had to loosen the screws in the pre-assembled part of the frame.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Anyone know anything about the Monoprice MP Mini SLA LCD High Resolution Resin 3D Printer?

I found it for $200 when it is normally $600. Not sure if it is good or not and I haven't been able to find a sale on the epax printer.

• Options
    HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested, Anycubic is having some pretty good cybermonday sales: https://anycubic.com/collections/3d-printers
    I tried to stay strong, but ended up ordering a Chiron :)

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I keep seeing things about how the 3D resin has a strong smell. Has anyone actually used it here and can confirm that?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    I keep seeing things about how the 3D resin has a strong smell. Has anyone actually used it here and can confirm that?

Using the anycubic plant based resin right now, which is supposed to have almost no odour compared to the standard stuff.

My wife went down to my den last night and immediately shouted up to me "what the hell are you doing down here?", as she thought I'd spilled a chemical or something.

So even the low odor stuff has quite a bit of smell. I haven't tried the real toxic stuff, and based off the odor from the plant based stuff I probably won't try it until I can build a fully filtered/ventilated home for my photon.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Resins are pretty toxic, you should use a ventilator even for the plant based stuff, fyi.

These resins should have a MSDS you can pull to find the exact type of filtration you want to use.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Is there a method or setup you can use to vent a resin printer through a filtration system rather than venting directly outside?

Currently I fume up my den, then once my print is done, mask up and open the patio door and vent the whole room at once. It's rather inconvenient.

Running an anycubic photon for reference.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Mainly looked at venting for lasers and I dont think there was a way to filter out odor/whatever in a mostly enclosed room.
    Do you have a dryer vent you could tap into in the area you have a printer at?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Radiation wrote: »
    Mainly looked at venting for lasers and I dont think there was a way to filter out odor/whatever in a mostly enclosed room.
    Do you have a dryer vent you could tap into in the area you have a printer at?

Sadly no... To vent outside from where my printer is I'd have to punch a hole in a wall, which seems excessive. :lol:

It's temperate enough here that I could use my garage for a printer space most of the year, it's just winter that has me jammed up, as my garage is a little too cold to use as a print space with resin I think.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    There's a design contest to win a prusa 3d printer if you guys haven't seen it yet:
    https://blog.prusaprinters.org/winter-contest/#_ga=2.265782223.1706489214.1575992776-2055594374.1575992776

• Options
    Hmm. Need to figure out what's up with this annoying layer-shifting I'm getting all of a sudden. Time for some maintenance and tuning!

eKwR94J.jpg

• Options
    Well, the bowden tube popped out of my extruder twice this weekend, so I decided it's Christmas and I needed a direct-drive extruder instead.

So I ordered this. https://e3d-online.com/e3d-hemera-175-kit

• Options
    what about my tube popping out

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I think you should see a doctor about that!

I kind of want to get a double-extruder mod for my ender5, because printing in multiple colors sounds cool but designing around multi-section prints or god forbid switching out the spools between layers sounds so tedious...
    but also I still have this auto-bed leveler that i've been too lazy to install, so...not a great track record on that front so far.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    Cross posting from the arts and crafts thread:
    Printed some buttons but didn't get a chance to put them on the coat. Also these were printed mostly for testing fit/making sure everything was right. Might mill them out of something like walnut.
    Or maybe print them again with higher resolution?
    khr8bAP.jpg

Side by side:
    NHzzOj8.jpg

I lost a button on my coat and we couldn't find a suitable replacement. So I decided to make some buttons. These are prototypes for form and fit. I was also thinking about filling in the area with resin or something.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    So @Radiation went off the rails for Secret Santa this year and wound up initiating me into the world of 3D printing. It took me a few days to have the time and willpower to put everything together, but as of this afternoon ...

The thread was a nice read. I'll have to spend a bit of time looking into potential printable upgrades for my new Ender 3.

• Options
    @ArcticLancer how goes the printing? How many failed prints so far?

• Options
    When life gives you failed 3D prints, make weird coasters.

O51wrb6l.png

• Options
    edited December 2019
    @ArcticLancer how goes the printing? How many failed prints so far?
    Not gonna lie, I've been like 90% fucking off for my vacation because I've needed the downtime. My first print was a fail, but it was easy to tell very early because the skirt didn't stick properly. After adjusting, my test print (a nameplate for a model) came out just fine. Yesterday I decided I was going to see if I could print a small piece for a model I'm building rather than gluing together some PLA and sanding it into the desired shapes. Magically, it actually worked out perfectly (calipers finally coming into their own with this).
    Despite how little I've done with it, the two youtube videos I watched during assembly / prep have completely infiltrated my recommendations, so sometime soon I'm going to look at one of the ones that keeps coming up with easy mods. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Neat! Yeah printing to me has been pretty good, but does sometimes fail. I named my printer 'Funny It Worked Last Time' because it fails randomly.
    Wasn't trying to pressure, just hoping it worked out of the box well enough.

• Options
    So far it seems to be working great. I did mess about trying to test print one of the example files from Heroforge just because I knew that would be an easy mini to throw in there, but I didn't properly set up the file to include structures, so I had to cancel it pretty early on when I could see it going awry. The print itself was good, just a bad configuration on my part. It was doing an absolutely excellent job of the base though!

I need to put in a little time to actually order some more materials since I know the bit included won't last too long. Anyone mind giving me a real quick Coles Notes on the differences working with PLA or ABS as a beginner?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I've found abs to be a bit more fucky, and seems to prefer an enclosure. Pla has been pretty bullet proof for me, for the most part. Though I haven't done much abs at this point.

Edit: I'll be interested to see how the mini figures turn out and what you print.

Radiation on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Pla+ is super forgiving compared to ABS. If you have the right conditions ABS is more durable and harder but it needs to be printed in an enclosure at something like 80 degrees or it warps and the layers won't adhere correctly as it cools.

Esun pla+ is the best pla I've worked with... You do need to print it 10 or so degrees hotter than regular abs

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I really want to try 3d printing, but I worry the quality isnt good enough for my model making hobby junk

Might be easier for me to just continue paying others to print

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Ordered a spool of grey Esun pla+, so we'll see where that leads.

As far as "model making junk", are we talking miniatures, traditional scale models, gunpla, assorted accessories? I'm sure there are reasonable options depending on your typical scale and detail demands.

• Options
    @Bluedude152

Take a look at the anycubic photon subreddit and see what you think there. The photon is a very good entry level resin printer. The downsides are that resin is a bit of a pain to work with and the print bed is pretty small, so you're limited to small pieces or printing a bunch of small prints to glue together into larger prints.

I've got one and I really like it a lot. It's a bit of an investment up front but the print quality is very impressive. I've just finished printing a bunch of poisonous looking plants for a diorama style base I'm doing for a Warhammer Great Unclean One and they turned out very well.

Filament printers can print with some pretty good detail and are easier to work with but require a lot of finishing to get hobby grade mini's and bits. They are good for larger terrain/buildings/etc. My filament printer (ender 3) is running fulltime right now printing a 3d set of the space hulk space ship pieces.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Id probably be able to make either work. Ive worked with garage kits for models that are nightmarish so ive probably fixed worse

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Id probably be able to make either work. Ive worked with garage kits for models that are nightmarish so ive probably fixed worse

If that's the case, an FDM printer might be a better pick. Filament is way less hassle compared to resin, and you can make much larger prints if you want to. The Ender 3, if assembled well, can give you some really great print quality and it's always on sale somewhere.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Prusa mini should be shipping out soon as well, and they had some pretty neat mini figures prints as examples. Might be worth checking out.

• Options
    A quick practical print to get unwieldy stuff off the desk.

z7lwu8sl.png

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Someone on reddit has this going on:

vAOEXQAl.jpg

Thought that was some neat shit.

bowen on
  • Options
    I have seen the light. Square nuts are super-handy for 3D printing, way easier to just design a square slot to drop them into without needing annoying levels of precision to make a hex nut fit just right without spinning in place.

• Options
    ybMLBbxm.png

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Have you heard of Spaghetti Detective?
    https://www.thespaghettidetective.com/

I was using OctoPrint Anywhere and they just announced their new endeavor. "Smart" 3d print monitoring via webcam.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life