As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are YOU Thankful For? [American Thanksgiving 2017]

Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
Hey all! How's it shaking?

Just a thread to talk about American Thanksgiving - and how you're handling it! Are you baking? Traveling? Is it a friendsgiving potluck, a big family dinner, or tacos on the couch with your comfiest TV reruns? Is anyone watching the parade or the dog show?

Probably we're all pretty busy, but if you have a moment and want to chat about American Thanksgiving, let's do that!!

Also worthwhile: What are you thankful for this year? I'm thankful for my new job, living in a housing situation that doesn't suck, and the neighborhood cat who hangs out in my living room a lot.

Also I'm baking a brown butter pumpkin pie for my boyfriend's family and it's Really Stressful!

Wbu??

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Brining a turkey right now and going to start pulling the stuffing together soon. Going to mash some potatoes and sweet potatoes. 40 pounds down on my diet, so I get to be bad today.

Also, a reminder from Rick and Morty (and Mr. Poopybutthole) to be thankful for the important things.

https://youtu.be/cHB_s970Uyw

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Where's Rick to scream at him that none of this matters?

Anyhoo. This has been a supremely shitty year with a number of friends family and co-workers kicking the bucket and my own health scare early in the year that sent me to the ER. I guess I'm thankful that I'm still around to say I'm thankful, and that my wife is too.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm very thankful to have my family and friends and this place.. because apparently the world has decided this month is going to feature multiple deaths and health scares in my extended family. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Where's Rick to scream at him that none of this matters.

I'll tell you where he's not. He's totally not in Universe Q-431, hunting down Turkey Jerry.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Turkey stuffing and health. That’s about it!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm thankful for being a Canadian that works for an American company so I have 2 days to actually get some shit done!

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I've been reading so much American news lately that has been making me really anxious. My wife keeps constantly reminding me: "Sweetie, remember, we're Canadian!"

I am thankful for her, my daughter, my parents, and for my country.

And to my fellow American forumers, know that while I am worried about you guys in this year to come, Canada loves you.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There's a lot to be thankful for, but I'd like to take a second to thank elki, Jacobkosh, Eljeffe, and especially SiG for keeping us in line. And to Tube for keeping this shit together.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Almost exactly a year to the day, reality decided to pull the rug out out from under me, roll me up in the rug, and beat me with hockey sticks. I'm thankful for my ability go keep going in the absence of hope. I'm thankful for my wife, who should be on one of those TV shows about people with amazing abilities because she can push herself to an amazing degree. I'm thankful for my son who can elicit a smile from strangers due to his shameless, sincere joy in making others happy. I'm thankful for my daughter who can be happy from the simple things, like high fives and climbing trees. I'm thankful every time someone in my family tells me I'm a good daddy or husband, because it sure doesn't seem like it sometimes.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I get to spend Thanksgiving with Lady Raven yaaaaay <3

And since I no longer live near my family where I can observe and make gift decisions, I also get to stress over trying to pry information on what they want out of them over Skype cause they won't make a dang wishlist, so I'm thankful the Secret Santa thread mandates it. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm working because I'm Canadian and I don't get to get stuffed, argue with family while watching football and racking up my credit card bill with impulse purchases.

I am jealous of your thanksgiving shenanigans.

Edit: I'm thankful for my kids health. That's really the big ticket item.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    To be alive and in good health. That’s the bar this year.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I'm grateful for my housemate and faithful pie making assistant, Bones (pictured below, helping):

23795606_909168365890515_5295802866494716645_n.jpg?oh=8add98e9de219dc1f3afe5379b33477b&oe=5AD55D9D

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    To be alive and in good health. That’s the bar this year.

Hold onto that tightly. Having 3 deaths in the family this month, a parent in the hospital, and friends going through labor complications... Makes you value life something fierce.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm thankful because I was born in a time and place where I am far more priviledged than the vast majority of humans who have ever lived.

I was born in the late 20th century in the richest and most stable country in human history. Running water, electricity, and communication devices that would have been rare or nonexistant in a different region of the world or a century ago are ubiquitous. My bare necessities would still be luxuries to huge portions of the population today and especially in history. And I can post to a community like this for a decade without being kicked out for arrogant abraisiveness or unpopular opinions.

I was born healthy and with the health coverage to help me when I wasn't. I was born to parents who nurtured me and helped foster and develop my talents and self worth in a loving and stable enviroment.

I was born a straight cis white male without the hurdles and barriers someone who is not must face and in a community where denial of thise barriers was not the popular opinion.

I was born in a state and region where education and intellectual pursuits are highly valued and respect for equality was stressed. Even in a public school, those with intellectual heft had more leeway and priviledge in the school than athletes. I didn't have to feel nearly as helpless or miserable as many nerds in HS as a result.

I'm grateful to have overcome my entitled laziness as an adolescent and young adult and finished my college education. Without a supportive and stable family I would probably have slunk towards failure and would be in a much worse life. I am thankful for a job that compensates reasonably well and provides for a stable life and intellectual challenges without overwhelming stress or physical strain.

I am thankful for having found a wonderful wife whom I love very much. I don't know how I lucked into a beautful woman with a brilliant mind, loving nature and wonderful personality with charming quirks loving me. She even just found the car keys I haven't been able to find for two days and is more amused my those kinds of weird flaws I have than annoyed. But even with all my other advantages shes still the best thing I have going for me.

I am also thankful that we have two fun, crazy dogs who love us almost as much as they love each other. Both are rescues and both overcame bad puppy situations to be wonderfully happy friends to all.

And despite the hssle I am thankful to have two places to go on Thanksgiving as we love our families but I can still avoid most of the social awkwardness, especially if politics comes up. I am also grateful any Trump types would be the (unfortunately vocal) minority if that subject is broached.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I'm thankful that my grandma who doesn't speak a word of English got this lady from their Iranian Islamic cultural center/mosque to make this super American Thanksgiving cake

HEMFll0l.jpg

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Those turkeys are almost too cute to eat, assuming they are edible

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    The Debate and Discourse forum. I had a couple of bombshells dropped on me last night and realized w/o the info and background I get from here I may have turned into a shitty person.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm thankful for heavy cream and potatoes and cheese and the wonderful ways they go together.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm spending the day off from work because the state didn't wanna pay us overtime for working the day but I still get paid straight pay anyway. So, I'm in my hotel drinking Wild Turkey and watching the MST3k Turkey Day marathon and getting paid for it. Wooooo!

That said, I'm thankful for my girlfriend who is just the sweetest person I've ever met and I just moved in with! <3

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Last year was the first Thanksgiving that I had without my wife. First milestones are hard when it comes to grief. Last year, my roommate invited me to her family's Thanksgiving. This is what I wrote then:
    It's been a pretty good day. Maybe not so much for my roommate, who had to tolerate her Trump-voting folks for a Thanksgiving meal, but I was able to take the brunt of the conversation and distract them. I'm pretty good at spinning small talk so things don't go to hell. I could definitely see how it would have been way more divisive and awkward if I had not been there. So yay for forging a non-aggression treaty between family members? At least temporarily?

I miss my wife fiercely. Holidays are really tough for me, I find. I'm not sure how it will get any better. I know that it will, and that it will just take time. But the first milestone without someone is always the hardest.

It's been one year. It's still hard, but I know for a fact that I am better. I have friends now. I mean, I always had friends before, but I have local friends that I made through singing with my a cappella chorus. They love me and I love them. I'm so grateful for having them in my life. I'm grateful for my patient and caring roommate who has always been there to listen to me when I am sad. I'm grateful for her son, who is a source of endless energy and joy. I'm grateful that grief, while it still lingers and will never go away, can abate and make room for happiness, joy, and love. I'm grateful that I have so many opportunities to sing and make music, with my new "family" and my roommate. I'm grateful for my actual family for their patience, support, and love. I'm grateful for the love of my wife, which still lingers on and teaches me lessons even while she is gone. I'm grateful for my cat, Remington... without him, I would have never survived. Finally, I'm grateful for this community, which has been a lifeline for me as well as a source of mirth and wonder and laughter.

This year, I'm not hanging with my roommate's family for Thanksgiving, although I will miss that experience (really... I love hanging out with my roommate's son and my roommate). I am going to Thanksgiving at a chorus friend's house, with a bunch of acquaintances and strangers. I'm looking forward to meeting them, too! That's something that's changed over the past year... I'm looking forward to meeting new people, and I'm grateful for that.

Thanksgiving is a tough holiday for me, diet-wise, since I have to eat low-carb. I made a low carb pumpkin cheesecake, though, and some low-carb cranberry sauce. I plan on eating approximately a buttload of turkey and veggies.

Remember folks, the Thanksgiving axiom:
    If there is no drama at Thanksgiving, drama will manufacture itself to fill the vacuum.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    kijunshikijunshi Registered User regular
    Happy Thanksgiving, forum-goers! I am spending Thanksgiving in the "nesting phase" of pregnancy, as my due date is three days away. I am posting on the forums so that I can give my husband a break from me (I just had him clean the bathroom ceiling... 0_0)

The impending birth of my first child is almost too obvious a thing to be thankful for - I love him so much, even though he has decided to be breech, resisting every single technique medicine and art could recommend to turn him, and will therefore be a C-section delivery (my greatest fear at the start of all this... and... I get to just deal with that, because I'm a parent now, dammit). I waited 10 years from the moment my hormones hissed to me "you want babiesssss" to put everything in place for that, and I'm just about to pass the finish line (start line?) of one of my major life goals. He's an active baby, squirming about in the womb like clockwork every day, strong heartbeat, passed every test medical staff gave to me with flying colors, never raised my blood pressure, strongly dislikes Braxton-Hicks contractions (immediately goes to the place in the uterus where they are not), and will likely keep us hopping for years to come. I'm so grateful.

I'm grateful for my husband, who has kept me afloat these past 9 months--heck, these last 5 years which we have known each other. There's no one else in my life who I want to share this experience with more. I have absolute confidence that no matter what happens to us in this world in the years to come, he will always be someone I can respect and rely on, someone that I was privileged to meet and have in my life. I can't wait to see him as a father, he was meant to be one and I'm so happy I get to help with that <3

I'm grateful for my mother, who was willing to leave Hawaii (!) to move out to Washington State, currently raining and cold, just so that she could be a part of her grandchild's life, and a HUGE support to me. I know so many women who don't have access to their mothers like this, either geographically or emotionally, and I know just how lucky I am.

I'm grateful for my mother-in-law, for combining (how?) absolute practicality and efficiency with a warm loving nature. Her RN degree helps keep us safe and healthy, she gives great financial advice, and she is even willing to let my mother live in her upstairs bedroom for right now.

I'm grateful for the rest of our friends and family, many of whom agreed to come over and support my husband with food and errands as he takes care of a bedridden wife after surgery and a newborn for a too-short 2-week paternity leave that will be the exact opposite of a vacation.

I'm grateful for the booming, stressed-out, beautiful and ridiculous city of Seattle - it's employed us and kept us these past 7 years, even as it denies us any chance at living within it permanently. There will be more cities in our future, but we will never forget Seattle at this moment in time (I am pretty sure I will be able to watch a Mad Men-like show set in places I've literally worked at before I die).

I'm grateful for this country, too - grateful that our founders put so many overlapping safeguards and checks within our democracy, so that one year of Trump hasn't overturned the ship. I feel that this year (once I was able to step back from the daily news cycle) has shown me that the majority of the American people have strengths within them that I didn't have the ability to see before now. Even as horror is shown to us every day, both real and imagined, citizens resist the worst impulses and demonstrate their values in ways big and small. We aren't helpless, and nothing is over.

And... that was a nice ramble, my husband just finished cleaning the tub, and since I **can** help clean the sink I'm gonna go do that. Have a great turkey day everyone!! :)

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’m thankful for all three varieties of thanksgiving dessert (unfocused pic taken shortly before it was swarmed).

OxSaI5th.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My parents are almost a thousand miles away, and my wife is working, so Thanksgiving is always kind of shitty here. But I am going with my daughter to the in-laws for dinner tonight which should be fun. And, as much as I love my daughter, I'm thankful my in-laws are taking her for the next couple days because we both work long hours.

I love my job, and for the most part the company treats us great, but fuck Thanksgiving shoppers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I will be making a "vegetarian spaghetti" for dinner. All of my roommates went out of town because their families are local so I'm making a pot of sauce with squash, zucchini, and maybe carrots, some angel hair pasta, some spinach and cheese ravioli, and some potato gnocchi. And then I'll be trying to burn through a policy paper before I go to bed.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I am thankful that I had Thanksgiving in October.

Edit: Gdi, how are there so many Canadians in this thread?

hippofant on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    The bird has been cooked and delivered. Sides prepared and arranged. I put in some work for this meal today, and now I get to sit back and EAT.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I'm thankful for places that are 80 degrees in late November

I have this thought quite often, not just today- I'm thankful for this awesome community and especially our amazing mods who keep us knuckleheads from wrecking the place up too much.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It’s been a year since I came out to my parents and my brother. It’s also been exactly that long since I’ve talked to them; I knew their disowning me might be a possible outcome, and honestly it gets easier everyday. But for the second year in a row, I’m basking in the warmth of an amazing group of people—the beautiful family that has adopted me, the Spool family: @spool32 @Belasco32 @Squeakel and my beloved far-flung niece, @Blameless Cleric (who you might recognize as the author of this very thread)

I’ve never felt much like I’ve belonged anywhere before in my life until we found each other. Now I feel like I belong somewhere, somewhere that wants me as I am and is happy to celebrate me, as I am them. They’re wonderful and have made my life so much richer for being in it. I will be forever thankful for them, and in the continuing aftermath of last year’s tire-fire of reality, I have so much to be thankful for I realize: my new family, my amazing child, the legion of lovely friends I’ve made here, and my adopted sister and our future together next year in Seattle.

My list is an embarrassment of riches. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you :mrgreen:<3

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    touching stuff was written here

::coughs:: Hey I texted you. I didn't even text my sister.

: )

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Power went out this morning mid-bake but we made do and still had an amazing dinner with wife's family.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    touching stuff was written here

::coughs:: Hey I texted you. I didn't even text my sister.

: )

Awwww! That’s so sweet!

I’m gonna love living my twilight years at the compound :rotate:

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm thankful for being alive.

Had a pretty traditional thanksgiving otherwise. Visited the folks, helped with the cooking: I made a brussel sprout, bacon, broccoli stuffing instead of the usual stuffing. Watched some football, talked politics sparingly with the family and then bailed out because I have to work tomorrow.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    We always do the same thing in my family; my aunt hosts a dinner at their place. It's only about 20 minutes from my place, so it's not the biggest deal, but we have fun. This year, I brought my SNES Classic to try out between football games.

As for things that I'm thankful for, let's see. I'm thankful for the usual things; being alive and mostly healthy, having a job and a roof over my head, my friends and family. I'm thankful that work is starting to hopefully get close to something resembling normal. I'm thankful that, as much as this year has sucked, it still didn't suck nearly as bad as last year (or at least it didn't surprise me with how much it sucked.) And I'm thankful for some purely superficial things, like the previously mentioned SNES Classic.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    I'm grateful for crying over eating stuffing for breakfast alone for the first time in my life, it was an amazing reminder of how much I've been given and been able to give.

I'm grateful for my family being amazing and supportive as I abandoned helping with dinner mid-cooking to go honor the time I said I'd volunteer at our local animal shelter today, and that @Squeakel came with me.

I'm grateful for having been able to choose some of the people I'm biologically and legally related to as part of my Chosen Family, and for how beautifully my very diverse Chosen Family (legal, bio, and other) blends together with respect and love as the fundamental threads.

I'm grateful for how easily @Atomika has become a seamless part of our existence, and for her love, patience, and understanding when nothing goes to plan...as usual. <3

I'm grateful for the strange mix up that left us with two turkeys when we were wondering how we were going to be able to make this one meal stretch until our next pay check.

I'm grateful for the life I'm building, for my slowly regained some real health and the beginning of being able to let go of comparing who and what I am now to who and what I was when I was well, the people who have been with me as I've walked that deeply difficult path, and those who have helped me learn to navigate this uneven ground.

And where I am decidedly grateful for @spool32 and our children, @Blameless Cleric , Squeakel, and spool17 I lack the ability to communicate the depth or intensity of that gratitude. Suffice to say, they fill my darkest, most difficult moments with light and hope.

Absolutely nothing went to plan over the last two days. Today we ate three hours late and most everything had to be reheated. Still, it all came out well; we played and laughed, the dogs were really well behaved, and the only discussion of politics was to agree we're all in agreement. Sometimes life is very good.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm thankful, as always, for these forums. Without which I would never have found my husband, never been brave enough to fly on a plane to the other side of the world. I'd never have had the courage to get married, to start my new life, or to have survived my only pregnancy.

It's the forums, and the people in it that have given me hope and life and laughter for the last almost 9 years. So much has changed, and I can't even begin to offer my gratitude for this safe place that I can come to and be my own self.

Also I'm super grateful, still, for those of you who were in the election night chatroom over a year ago who kept me on a level playing field in the midst of a miserable night mixed with what was almost certainly some remaining Postnatal depression. Things could have gotten very ugly for me that night, had you lot not been there. Specifically @Houn . You talked me down from a dark place and I don't think you knew it then, and I only realized jut how bad I was a few months ago. I owe you more gratitude and debt than I think you know. So thank you.

And I"m grateful for the American import store and my yummy box of Stovetop stuffing that I had for my combined Thanksgiving/Shabbat dinner down here in Kiwiland. The only thing I didn't make was the green bean casserole. But I'll get to that this weekend. I got French's onions in the pantry!

Love you all!