Options

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I don't even have children and I haven't beaten many games in 2017.

You may have what some would call "a life."

I advise getting rid of that. Gamez for dayz!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I don't think I've beaten any, but I'm close in Ghost Recon Wildlands (on the Xbone). Just kinda stopped playing when I got my new PC. I should get back to that, for all its flaws it's probably my GOTY so far. Not that I've played anywhere near enough of the candidates.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I've been killing it. Just in the past two months I've beaten something like 6 games. 4 were Assassin's Creed games. Just have Unity to best now. Hopefully I can get through it before the year is out.

Not bad for someone working nights and having no time :lol:

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Guys, Clustertruck is great. I'm laughing like an idiot as I play. Jumping on trucks is fun!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Worms WMD is a bit frustrating. Having re-whetted my appetite for murderous invertebrates with Worms Armageddon and Reloaded, I grabbed WMD at GMG for a bit less than the Steam sale price. And while it is good, it's got some annoyances that are hard to gloss over. It attempts, with varying degrees of success, to expand on the Worms formula with vehicles, mounted weapons and a crafting mechanic, all of which can be disabled if you want to keep the game more in the vein of classic Worms (I've left vehicles on, haven't used a mounted weapon yet, and disabled the crafting). And it looks gorgeous, with a lot of detail in its levels, a cool hand-drawn/animated aesthetic, although the pop-up weapon selector is perplexingly small.

But two things are driving me mad. First is a design issue: since I have no desire whatsoever to play Worms online with randoms, and don't often have anyone to play local multi with, I mostly play against AI, like back in the day with the first game. And it's just as well I've stuck to a single AI, because every time it's the AI's turn, its worm will spend about fifteen seconds "thinking" about its move. In the older games, AI worms usually just got on with it, with a five second or so pause at the very most. This is fifteen seconds, every single time, before it even starts getting on with what it's going to do. This might be in order to facilitate the crafting mechanic, which can be used during an opponent's turn so you don't waste time during your own, but it does it regardless of whether the crafting is switched on or not. It's maddening, and it also artificially increases the duration of a match; those constant fifteen second pauses in the action add up quickly. Not an issue if you're playing with human opponents, obviously.

The other major issue is a technical one. All sound is only coming from my left speaker. My sound is working fine in every other application and game, so it's not my hardware or drivers. A look at the Steam forums shows that this issue has been reported by quite a few players, as far back as the game's release in August 2016, and it obviously still hasn't been fixed. Poor show, Team 17. Having said that, it's by no means universal, so YMMV on this one (and I hope it does). It seems to afflict mostly 7.1 system users, and Realtek audio systems, probably mostly in laptops; mine is the latter.

On a less egregious level, the game seems to not like the idea of running in 1440p, displaying only a zoomed-in top-left quadrant of the screen. But it's fine in 1080p, so I can live with that. That may even be a Windows scaling issue, but I haven't bothered to look further, I just set it to 1080p and moved on.

Since I got the game from GMG I can't get a refund on it, but I'm not sure I would anyway. Despite the problems, it's still a 2D Worms game with all the fun and hilarity that implies, with some interesting tweaks and additions, largely optional if you don't care for them, and it looks great. And on sale it's plenty cheap. Just be aware it has a few issues; and if they sound too much bother, there's plenty of older Worms games that are just as good (if not better) to play instead.

Jazz on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

You've seen how often I'm in Steam Chat.

I think we both know I have no life.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Tried 3 games, retired 2: Gyromancer and English Country Tune.

This is apparently my wake-up call that I'm not the biggest fan of puzzle games. That said HuniePop is actually a solidly built Date-Sim-Puzzle-Game-With-Upgrade-Mechanics. Which really is probably what I like so much about it. It's a solidly built (even if entirely crass) game.

Gyromancer is a weird take on the genre. It's not as intuitive as the normal match 3 setup.

I think the thing that gets me about Gyromancer is that 3-4 stages in, they start to punish you for a "free spin", i.e. a spin with no match to it. Sometimes, that can be a huge punishment, and there's nothing you can do to avoid it.

I just eventually lost interest, honestly. There's just other games I'm more interested in.

Thanks to the Backlog Warriors Group, I've been kicking ass even with a 1 year old in the house.

It helps that he's sort of solitary. I try playing with his toys with him, and he either ignores me or grabs the toy and adds it to the play (i.e. chew and swing around and bash) pile.

He's also sort of a couch potato. :wink:

Fake edit: it also helps that I'm willing and able to retire games when I'm not having fun and count it as "finished". It's off the backlog because I'm not interested. This seems to be unique to Steam, and it's why I've been more recently trying to only accept gifts for games I'll actually play.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Everspace has been pretty awesome so far, if someone was interested in a roguelike sitting between FTL and Elite: Dangerous. (Mine is a GOG.com copy, but still.)

Haven't gotten the expansion but the base game seems solid and challenging.

If I am terrible with aerial combat, am I going to have a bad time? I was not very good at E: D but sometimes I have that space! itch I gotta scratch.

I just picked this up too (the base game anyway). Good stuff!

I've put a huge amount of time into E:D. The spaceflight is much simpler- there is basically zero inertia and your little ship is ridiculously maneuverable compared to anything in Elite. Even the little fighters have nothing on these little wasp ships. Funny enough, the only time the game felt "right" to me was when I took so much damage the inertial dampeners were knocked out of the ship. I was pleased that they put enough thought into it that it was even a thing.

So I'll say that being trained to think in 3 Dimensional terms carries over really well. But everything in Everspace is tons easier. Just imagine if the Flight Assist was hyper aggressive to the point inertia did not exist, and you could literally about face in any direction in about a second and actually be traveling in that vector (in ED terms, this is insane). Also, near as I can tell, even the stock ship you get will fly circles around your competition without any issue. Just boost to their six and blow them up, basically. It only gets complicated when they toss wings at you.

I've had a lot of luck killing crowds by kiting them into the neutral ships, and playing Ring Around the Rosie with asteroids.

I wish there was HOTAS support, but aside from that, no complaints. It's the rogue like it's advertised to be.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Steam is life

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Steam is life

Steam is blood.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

This is apparently my wake-up call that I'm not the biggest fan of puzzle games. That said HuniePop is actually a solidly built Date-Sim-Puzzle-Game-With-Upgrade-Mechanics. Which really is probably what I like so much about it. It's a solidly built (even if entirely crass) game.

English Country Tune is weird as hell and largely directionless. I had to be in the right state of mind for that.

Play the Hexcells/Squarecells/etc games.

Also Paint it Back.

• Options
    Do we know when Christmas sale proper is?

I'm wondering if I'll be in country to get stuff for my secret santa.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Is there a red door?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Steam is life
    Steam is blood.
    KNoVbW7.jpg

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Nice bundle at Fanatical, specially for those interested in The Sexy Brutale:

1€:
    From the Depths (Steam)
    Damned (Steam)
    Marooners (Steam)

5.09€:
    140 (Steam)
    Valley (Steam)
    STASIS (Steam)
    Bohemian Killing (Steam)
    Lethe - Episode One (Steam)
    Project Remedium (Steam)
    The Uncertain: Episode 1 - The Last Quiet Day (Steam)
    Steamburg (Steam)
    Guardians of Ember - Fanatical Edition (Steam)

10.09€:
    Dex (Steam)
    The Sexy Brutale (Steam)

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Steam is life

Steam is blood.

The Worm is the Steam. The Steam is the Worm.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

English Country Tune is weird as hell and largely directionless. I had to be in the right state of mind for that.

Also Paint it Back.

I've watched the wife play ____Cells games and I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

My issue is one of sitting there "thinking" about my next move. This is also, coincidentally, why I will never win a chess match.

Which is also odd because I can sit there in turn-based RPG/SRPGs and other Strategy/4X games and think at length about what to build and where to move troops, but I also play those games all at the basest level possible.

My recent playing of DOOM games, and my last few years of playing open world third person murder-domes has made me realize how much I prefer action to puzzles. It seems I like puzzles in games, but not exactly as the whole game. At least not most of the time.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular

Also Paint it Back.

I've watched the wife play ____Cells games and I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

My issue is one of sitting there "thinking" about my next move. This is also, coincidentally, why I will never win a chess match.

Which is also odd because I can sit there in turn-based RPG/SRPGs and other Strategy/4X games and think at length about what to build and where to move troops, but I also play those games all at the basest level possible.

My recent playing of DOOM games, and my last few years of playing open world third person murder-domes has made me realize how much I prefer action to puzzles. It seems I like puzzles in games, but not exactly as the whole game. At least not most of the time.

Naturally, I must ask what you think about Portal.
    Perhaps you like the ability to 'touch'/manipulate your puzzles vs the inability to take back your move?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    WHOOPS, WRONG THREAD

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Perhaps you like the ability to 'touch'/manipulate your puzzles vs the inability to take back your move?

Portal/Portal 2 were fun, Polarity was boring, Magrunner: Dark Pulse was both good and eminently frustrating. Strangely, I enjoyed Portal 2 more than Half-Life 2.

Platform puzzle games also differ wildly from my experience from "fun to play" to "fuck this".

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I AM POSTING IN THE WRONG TAB

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Rather than try to make some sort of dent in the 400+ games I have installed on my computer as a unfinished backlog, I've been playing Resident Evil 4 again, as I noticed I never got the achievement for finishing on Pro mode on the PC version.

First observation: Christ, I'd forgotten what a nightmare the water room was on pro.

Second observation:
    l4pgy2ejhksj.jpg

Holy shit there's a box of shotgun shells up in the rafters here to shoot down how many times have I played this game and never seen that

Third observation: I now have so many unfinished games installed that my 3Tb hard drive is almost out of space. Fortunately I have a cunning solution to this problem. And my 6Tb hard drive will be arriving on Tuesday.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options

Okay, but now I'm curious what game this was about, because it was very Royce-post-ish.

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Thanks a ton to @Arithon32 for a Dead Rising 2 key!

• Options

Should fix that.

I have been playing more games and getting less angry.

• Options

Okay, but now I'm curious what game this was about, because it was very Royce-post-ish.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper. It's a gatcha mobile game that has a more forgiving gatcha than most, and banks delightfully well off of nostalgia for final Fantasy.

It's also got its claws do deep into me it's kinda disturbing - I do not usually occasionally throw coffee money at mobile games, and this game is honestly taking up 90% of my gaming time.

I fucking installed an android emulator on my PC to be able to do the multi-player with less lag.

Anyway, the highest end content right now are magicite runs, specifically trying to complete them in under 30 seconds. I'm getting SUPER close on one of them.

Thread for the game can be found here

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Steam is life
    Steam is blood.
    KNoVbW7.jpg

Steam is Spice.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular

But how many children have you beaten in 2017?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Nioh Patch coming with K&M support:

Also, someone posted an infographic of the most played on Steam for games released between 11/6 and 11/12:

1) Football Manager
    2) Battlerite
    3) Nioh
    4) Hand of Fate 2
    5) Mirror...?

That's right... Mirror. http://store.steampowered.com/app/644560/Mirror/ (NSFW)

It's also the highest rated game on that list... :thinking: Has Pixie given her review yet?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Portal/Portal 2 were fun, Polarity was boring, Magrunner: Dark Pulse was both good and eminently frustrating. Strangely, I enjoyed Portal 2 more than Half-Life 2.

Platform puzzle games also differ wildly from my experience from "fun to play" to "fuck this".

You may or may not like Machinarium then. There is environment manipulation, but it's not first person.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just beat Rise of the Tomb Raider. Pretty good, although I think I preferred the previous game.

I remember reading that the game didn't make its sales expectations. I hope they still plan on making another game in this series.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Does mirror have the same match 3 as hunie pop? I really enjoyed that one, and wouldnt mind playing other games with the same type of match 3. (NSFW games or not)

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Does mirror have the same match 3 as hunie pop? I really enjoyed that one, and wouldnt mind playing other games with the same type of match 3. (NSFW games or not)

Click your library, search for bejeweled, install Bejeweled 3 (0 hours played) and I'll see you in a couple of days when you finally remember you need to sleep and/or eat.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

Looks like it's just switching between two neighbor pieces instead of the awesome "anywhere in this row/column" of Hunie pop.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Just beat Rise of the Tomb Raider. Pretty good, although I think I preferred the previous game.

I remember reading that the game didn't make its sales expectations. I hope they still plan on making another game in this series.

I actually just saw a tweet today in which apparently Square execs realize their sales expectations were insane and now they're quite happy with how that franchise has sold.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    For some reason, despite it being quite a busy day, I suddenly felt I should come up with a best of 2017 list.
    I started out writing out all the ones I thought could make my top ten and it worked out that there were basically ten of them (after some easy cuts).
    But I don't know if I can put them in a specific order. This a rough attempt at doing so.
    1. Nier Automata
    2. Wolfenstein 2
    3. Yakuza 0
    4. Pyre
    5. Horizon Zero Dawn
    6. Uncharted Lost Legacy
    7. Persona 5
    8. Hellblade Senuas Sacrifice
    9. X-Com 2 War of the Chosen
    10. Prey
    And if I were to include older games I played this year then Final Fantasy 14, Dishonored 2, and Owlboy would probably be fighting for placement in there.
    I haven't played any Switch stuff so far, and I haven't gotten to Night in the Woods or A.Creed Origin yet. Or the Death of the Outsider. But those are on the to do list for 2018.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Nioh Patch coming with K&M support:

Also, someone posted an infographic of the most played on Steam for games released between 11/6 and 11/12:

1) Football Manager
    2) Battlerite
    3) Nioh
    4) Hand of Fate 2
    5) Mirror...?

That's right... Mirror. http://store.steampowered.com/app/644560/Mirror/ (NSFW)

It's also the highest rated game on that list... :thinking: Has Pixie given her review yet?

I have not actually played it yet. I may have to do so though, if it's that well-reviewed... ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So I did the Steam awards stuff too. This is how mine pans out.

The World Is Grim Enough Let's All Just Get Along goes to Proteus, one of my all time favorites for its understated atmosphere. The lo-fi graphics are married to clever animations, lighting and music in a way that makes this one of those things that feels like an actual place. And that place is pretty sweet!

The Choices Matter award goes to Massive Chalice. Whether it's the smart tactical combat or the saga of the overworld metagame of bloodlines and title this game is all about hard choices in a battle of attrition against the most relentless enemy of all. At first I was concerned I would get a game that would be some kind of eugenics fantasy world of min/maxed master race warriors, but I found in practice this wasn't the case. Many houses and heroes carried serious flaws and defects yet can overcome them with smart tactics. I always find it a profound experience seeing how that adds to the struggle.

The Haunts My Dreams title goes to Dota 2. Not much to add here, really. I don't even queue much anymore but I still sink plenty of time into theorycrafting, botmatches, watching replays and turning over steam cards on the market place so I can play hero dress up. It's a beautiful game with seriously engaging mechanics any way I approach it.

The Mom's Spaghetti Award goes to Doom. Not newfangled Doom. The Ultimate Doom, or more specifically the towering infernal flaming corpsestack of mods and wads. Rich, spicy and I can't stop until I've gone waaaay too far. This game still provides me with some of the most deliciously challenging gameplay available. While many go to games like Dark Souls to test their mettle you'll find me dissecting ambushes in Plutonia or slaughtering my way through a Cacoward winning megawad.

The No Apologies award has to go to Overgrowth. I know many feel underwhelmed by this release and I understand much of the criticism. The campaigns are short and the writing is well done but understated and dry which doesn't play to a lot of peoples tastes. In many ways these campaigns are demonstrations of what you can do with the editor and assets. And most people could care less about the games insanely cool and fun editor. I know a lot of gamers want lengthy games rich with dialogue, character interactions and lore. That's all good stuff. But I love Overgrowth for exactly what it is and what it always set out to be. No apologies indeed.

The Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War award goes to Hitman. Kill people all kinds of ways.

Suspension Of Disbelief goes to SUPERHOT. SUPER. HOT. The most innovative First Person Shooter I have ever played.

The Soul Of Vitruvius goes to Alien: Isolation. Because jesuschristit'saxenomoph. I honestly didn't think Creative Assembly had such things in them. All bursting out and stuff.

The Defies Description award has to be Duskers. Because it's a Real Time Strategy Drone Command Simulation with a command line interface, harsh resource control, non linear horror narrative, science fiction setting, impossible odds, isolation, things that go bump in the other cargo hold, a drone named Vinny and it's just yeah.

The Labor Of Love goes to ADOM. Ancient Domains Of Mystery is indeed ancient, grand and still getting all kinds of new features, polish and shine. Considered one of the four founding branches of traditional roguelikes it's hard to find another game that has been developed so extensively.

Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0 is Caves of Qud. Nothing illustrates this better than this brilliant image from the game's own Community Hub.
    ?.jpg

The Even Better Than I Expected award goes to Devil Daggers. The game's teasers on youtube had me automatically fascinated with this game. I had no idea where to set my expectations but I found them slipping higher and higher each time I considered how the game would actually play. Nothing could have prepared me for this perfect fusion of doomy slaughterfest low poly quake toned bunny hopping dagger jumping insanity. It puts all of my favorite things about first person shooter gameplay into a concise, masterful package.

And my write in award is The Best Magic Shrooms award. It goes to Songbringer. It's a pretty groovy game with a fuzzy, mwowmwowm synth soundtrack, a nanosword that hums, killer space giants, magic shrooms that show you secrets, a skybot named Jib and a spaceship called the Songbringer. I just picked this up but so far it's been a procedurally arranged zelda styled blast.

And that wraps it up for the Steam awards. I'd like to throw an honorable mention out for The Signal From Tolva. I just started on this one since it just received a linux build. I am a fan of these sorts of open world explorathon shooters. The setting is rich with potential and I can just eat up the art design with a spoon. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one unfolds. It was a real contender for the write-in award. I was gonna go with Thanks For The Linux Port but Songbringer kinda just swooped in and delighted its way into the slot.

Drake on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    .... @Pixelated Pixie knows how much I love my... research and has sent me Mirror to try out the match 3. I will be sure to report back and keep you all informed. <3 Thanks so much Pixie.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »

I actually just saw a tweet today in which apparently Square execs realize their sales expectations were insane and now they're quite happy with how that franchise has sold.

I swear that occasionally, someone spikes the water at Squeenix with something that brings them to their senses, and otherwise I picture them running around the offices with pants or skirts on their heads, wielding plungers and yardsticks as weapons, and every so often murmuring about "sales numbers".

This discussion has been closed.