Options

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Humble Bundle:

$1:
    F1 RACE STARS™
    F1™ 2011
    F1™ 2012
    Toybox Turbos

BTA:
    GRID 2
    F1™ 2014
    F1™ 2015
    F1 RACE STARS™ + Season Pass
    60% off DiRT 4 Coupon
    40% off F1™ 2017 Coupon
    F1™ 2017 DLC - 1988 McLAREN MP4/4 Classic Car
    DiRT 4 DLC - Hyundai R5 Rally Car
    DiRT 4 DLC - Team Booster Pack
    More games to be added next week

$15:
    Micro MachinesWorld Series
    F1™ 2016
    DiRT Rally
    F1™ 2016 DLC - Career Booster Pack

Well, I'm certainly not going to race to the site to buy that bundle, but it sounds great for people who like those types of games.

Ya this bundle doesn't really drive me to buy it.

Hit the brakes, was that a pun?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    New Humble Bundle:

$1:
    F1 RACE STARS™
    F1™ 2011
    F1™ 2012
    Toybox Turbos

BTA:
    GRID 2
    F1™ 2014
    F1™ 2015
    60% off DiRT 4 Coupon
    40% off F1™ 2017 Coupon

$15:
    F1™ 2016
    DiRT Rally

Well, I'm certainly not going to race to the site to buy that bundle, but it sounds great for people who like those types of games.

It doesn't matter, it's not like we can ever get tired of puns anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    New Humble Bundle:

$1:
    F1 RACE STARS™
    F1™ 2011
    F1™ 2012
    Toybox Turbos

BTA:
    GRID 2
    F1™ 2014
    F1™ 2015
    60% off DiRT 4 Coupon
    40% off F1™ 2017 Coupon

$15:
    F1™ 2016
    DiRT Rally

It doesn't matter, it's not like we can ever get tired of puns anyway.

The thread does tend to drift that way. Not an impulse that's easy to throttle. Eventually it shifts gears and trucks on with the normal discussion.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Yo @ Jazz tell me about Codemasters F1 games.

Ask, and thou shalt receive.

They're all good. Alright, a couple aren't amazing (in hindsight, at least), but they're all at least decent and many of them are properly great.

That 40% off F1 2017 coupon is not to be sniffed at, actually. That's a nice thing to have at the BTA price if you're interested in F1 2017; which you really should be if F1 games are of genuine interest to you. And that McLaren car DLC was a pre-order and early copies bonus which is worth having if you're planning on checking out the classic cars.

It's a shame 2013 is missing, but expiring licenses on classic content (1980s and '90s cars, drivers and tracks) unfortunately took that one off sale a while back, which is a shame because besides 2017 and 2016, it was arguably the overall best. Coincidentally, 2017 is the first one since then to have classic content ('90s and '00s cars in its case), so it may suffer a similar fate in years to come, although on the other hand it might dodge that by virtue of just going for classic cars this time.

But really, they're mostly genuinely good stuff, and as a whole were a major, massive revival from the often hit or miss F1 games of the past; probably the best since the hallowed Grand Prix series by the great Geoff Crammond.

F1 2010 (an odd omission from the bundle; maybe a forthcoming title?) became a curio after the fact in a way, being the last one before F1 had a few major changes come in the following year (vastly different tyres from a different manufacturer, DRS overtaking aid, etc). 2011 reflects this and really upgraded the physics too, as well as adding things like multiplayer championships. 2012 dropped the paddock interviews and the whole "live the life" aspect the previous two games struggled a bit with and expanded the selection of modes; it's a really good one. 2013 just nailed everything and added classic cars, tracks and drivers, but as we've seen isn't available here, or anywhere on PC short of key resellers for stupid money now. Used console copies (360/PS3) are your best bet for this one. 2014 was a budget priced reskin, which does nothing really wrong as such, except it's saddled with that season's mostly ugly cars, but its only big change was making the series more accessible to newcomers. 2015 was the first "next-gen" version, and is a huge visual leap forward, also improving on AI and physics, but is very, very stripped down (no career mode!) and still a bit buggy. 2016 just made it completely obsolete by getting just about everything spectacularly right, expanding massively on a great deal including a nicely in-depth career mode, and 2017 ran with that and made it even better (female drivers, historic invitationals, more R&D stuff, tweakable race formats, etc; mostly building on its immediate predecessor's successes), aided by this year's rather cooler and faster cars, and, as aforementioned, some amazing classic cars too.

F1 Race Stars is a kart racer that borrows a bit from F1 but is very much its own thing. It's good fun, though, absolutely worth it if you want a good, solid kart racer that's a little different.

So, to sum up the tiers:

- If you're mildly curious, go for the $1 tier. 2011 and 2012 are both rock-solid, just old, and Race Stars is a game anyone can enjoy. I've not played Toybox Turbos yet but apparently it's really good. And it has a demo.

- The BTA is worth it if the increased accessibility of 2014 is of interest, or you're going to make use of those big coupons for 2017 or Dirt 4. 2015 is nice to have but let down by no career mode, although it's much, much prettier than 2014 and is still fun for the odd single race, which may suit if you just want to dip into one occasionally without it looking old (it actually includes all the 2014 season as a bonus so you can see that prettied up a bit; actually that might make 2014 largely obsolete unless you're running an old GPU).

- The $15 tier is absolutely worth it because F1 2016 and Dirt Rally is a terrific pairing, and at $7.50 each, they're a steal (those are each sixty dollar games still in American money). They're both fantastic games that will give you a lot of hours of awesome. Micro Machines World Series sadly seems like a disappointment, which is a crying shame given how legendary some of the old ones were, so stick with the bottom tier's Toybox Turbos for your toy car racing needs!

I hope this managed to give you guys a bit of an insight. Clearly this bundle isn't for everyone, I appreciate F1 in particular is a bit niche around here; but you can dip your toes in on the bottom tier if you're curious, or snag a couple of really good prices on the most recent games at the BTA, or just get some serious awesomeness for a bargain price at the top tier.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing what the forthcoming games are too. Probably the likes of F1 2010, Grid 1 and Grid Autosport, and maybe Dirt Showdown or something, but I might be missing something else awesome!

Jazz on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    20XX is pretty fun! I did a couple runs at Normal difficulty, died at the sixth and eighth boss, sadly.

The factory stages are my nemesis. For some reason my brain just does not actually register the blue lights that hurt you in those stages. I'm pretty sure it's because they're the exact same color and a very similar shape to the burst that appears when you hit something with a charged shot.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Getting off track with endless puns that go round and round just really grinds my gears.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    20XX is pretty fun! I did a couple runs at Normal difficulty, died at the sixth and eighth boss, sadly.

The factory stages are my nemesis. For some reason my brain just does not actually register the blue lights that hurt you in those stages. I'm pretty sure it's because they're the exact same color and a very similar shape to the burst that appears when you hit something with a charged shot.

I have a friend who plays the game nearly daily. The devs/publisher have daily challenges they release and they are still adding stuff, to my knowledge.

• Options
    Made a couple of edits to the above F1 megapost. That was a lot of info to remember and parse!

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Good-ish news re: Deus Ex (spoilers: it's not dead..ish)
    Even so, Matsuda said Square Enix still considers Deus Ex to be a "very important franchise" and, as such, the series hasn't been completely forgotten. "We are already internally discussing and exploring what we want do with the next instalment of it," he concluded. Whatever the outcome, it remains safe to assume those discussions won't result in a new Deus Ex title launching any time soon.

via Eurogamer

Zetx on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm suddenly inspired to replay one of the saints row games because I've yet to see a movie where someone with Melissa McCartney or Raven Simone's body types snaps a neck, tosses them in the dumpster, and snipes a VIP in a limo.

Sorry, but fat people don't get to be action heroes in modern Hollywood, friend. On the female side there is absolutely zip, and on the male side we have Steven Seagall (so essentially nobody).

Also that Humble Bundle is amazing. I'm still running without a GPU on my desktop so I grabbed it for F1 2011 (being the most likely of the bunch that I'd be able to play on an HD 530) so here is a code for F1 2012:

Loading...?

• Options
    And one for F1 Race Stars

Loading...?

• Options
    Lastly, Toybox Turbos:

Loading...?

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Is the Most Wanted games among friends feature busted for anyone else? It hasn't been working for me on the web or in the client for a while now. :(

@Iolo

This has been broken for me for ages. I wonder if it is because some people have excessively large wishlists but I dunno.
    A slightly non-ideal solution would be to look at this page. https://www.steamgifts.com/group/JULwc/pagt/wishlist

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    I'm suddenly inspired to replay one of the saints row games because I've yet to see a movie where someone with Melissa McCartney or Raven Simone's body types snaps a neck, tosses them in the dumpster, and snipes a VIP in a limo.

Sorry, but fat people don't get to be action heroes in modern Hollywood, friend. On the female side there is absolutely zip, and on the male side we have Steven Seagall (so essentially nobody).

Queen Latifah in Set it Off?

Uhhhhh. Steam stuff. After spending the last half of my weekend on Stardew Valley I'm enjoying it so much that a rule had to be created to keep me out of trouble. Only allowed to play one in game week a day Monday through Thursday to make sure I don't suffer sleep deprivation. Thanks again @Quical! Frosted Funnies Farm is doing spectacular (and yes Jas, I do smell like grass).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    After the crappy weekend (leading into the crappy week) I've been having, @Jazz sent me a code for Dirt Rally!

Thanks man!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I want to say thanks to @davidsdurions for the Sid Meyer's Pirates key!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    @chrisnl - sorry if I missed it, but did you ever beat Tales from the Borderlands? :)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I really need to get back to Sid Meier's Pirates! because I loved playing the original on my ol' Mac a long time ago. I bought the reboot on disc when it first came out in the mid-2000s, but that goddamn dancing minigame they added in was the worst and eventually turned me off to the whole thing. I finally rebought it on Steam a few years back when it hit the suitable $2.50 price point, but haven't tried it again.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    @Jazz keyed me when my back was turned. And now I have F1 Race Stars. And a bunch of DLCs.

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I now have so many unfinished games installed that my 3Tb hard drive is almost out of space. Fortunately I have a cunning solution to this problem. And my 6Tb hard drive will be arriving on Tuesday.

UPDATE:
    4dqccht94csz.jpg

Ahhahahahaha! More space! MOR SPACE FOR THE GAMES! AHAHAHAHAHA!

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    I now have so many unfinished games installed that my 3Tb hard drive is almost out of space. Fortunately I have a cunning solution to this problem. And my 6Tb hard drive will be arriving on Tuesday.

UPDATE:
    4dqccht94csz.jpg

Ahhahahahaha! More space! MOR SPACE FOR THE GAMES! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Game devs: "Hold my beer."

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I have all of mine installed. I think I'm running a four, and I'm still nowhere near full. But yes, we're just winding garlands and lights along the gift-a-pult and such. Getting out mom's cookie cheezburger recipe and all that.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I really need to get back to Sid Meier's Pirates! because I loved playing the original on my ol' Mac a long time ago. I bought the reboot on disc when it first came out in the mid-2000s, but that goddamn dancing minigame they added in was the worst and eventually turned me off to the whole thing. I finally rebought it on Steam a few years back when it hit the suitable $2.50 price point, but haven't tried it again.

I don't know about the PC version (not yet, anyway) but the Xbox version the dancing was easy enough if you don't play on some of the higher difficulties. Each song is either a count of three or four. The really annoying thing are the tasks needed to find Montalban when they give you one like 'rescue a family member' and you keep getting the piece of the map that doesn't have the X or any relevant coastline.

Port Royale 3 is probably the game you want to look into.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Retired today: The Ship and Geometry Wars.

Papers, Please is interesting, though, and merits some further play.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Isn't The Ship a multiplayer game, though?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

There's a super short single-player game.

And yes, Papers, Please is amazing.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Speaking of Geometry Wars, not Steam-y but I hope one day Project Gotham Racing 2 gets added to the Xbox One's original Xbox backwards compatibility list, and actually works properly (it's playable but with some issues on the 360). The very, very first Geometry Wars ever is only available in that game (as an arcade machine in your garage), and it's more of an exercise in elegance and simplicity than its increasingly bonkers successors - apt as it was effectively a tech demo. And almost as a bonus, PGR2 itself is one of the best racing games ever made.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

I'll be honest, I find the mechanics more engaging than whatever is going on in this fictional country. I've let a scant few through that have gotten me infractions, but nothing to the point of punishment. If they don't have the requisite documents, no entry; it's not my job to care about these folks at my booth. It's my job to stamp papers yes or no.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Warming up with some Steam keys(first time I'm doing multiple keys, so hopefully it works!) for Brütal Legend:

Loading...?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I also retired Talisman and determined Faeria was sort of a neverending game, and found out that I still have an Assassin's Creed game to play.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Jazz wrote: »
    Speaking of Geometry Wars, not Steam-y but I hope one day Project Gotham Racing 2 gets added to the Xbox One's original Xbox backwards compatibility list, and actually works properly (it's playable but with some issues on the 360). The very, very first Geometry Wars ever is only available in that game (as an arcade machine in your garage), and it's more of an exercise in elegance and simplicity than its increasingly bonkers successors - apt as it was effectively a tech demo. And almost as a bonus, PGR2 itself is one of the best racing games ever made.

I still miss playing Metropolis Street Racer. I lived in the East Bay at the time and it was really awesome racing through San Francisco and recognising landmarks having actually seen them.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    @Jazz is a thread treasure, thanks for the write up!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I don't know about the PC version (not yet, anyway) but the Xbox version the dancing was easy enough if you don't play on some of the higher difficulties. Each song is either a count of three or four. The really annoying thing are the tasks needed to find Montalban when they give you one like 'rescue a family member' and you keep getting the piece of the map that doesn't have the X or any relevant coastline.

If you play on a laptop or tenkeyless keyboard, the dancing can be murder but I never found it difficult on a normal keypad. Granted, I'm not sure I'm the best gauge for how tough a rhythm game is since I actually started doing ballroom a few years ago and quickly took to it . . .

Still, I wasn't doing it by paying attention to the beat when I first played the game. It was more a matter of watching the lady's hands. She has distinct gestures for each step you need to take, you don't need to be exactly on time and actually do a flourish for bonus points if you're slightly delayed in reacting, and there are specific sequences of steps that narrow down what you need to be ready for as you get a feel for them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Getting off track with endless puns that go round and round just really grinds my gears.

Just throw it into reverse and back up to where you want to be.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    FzE8DRD.png
    So I was given happy neighbors by Shwdwcaster, I think it was shwdcaster, print screen did not work.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/729980/Happy_Neighbors/

• Options
    edited November 2017

If you play on a laptop or tenkeyless keyboard, the dancing can be murder but I never found it difficult on a normal keypad. Granted, I'm not sure I'm the best gauge for how tough a rhythm game is since I actually started doing ballroom a few years ago and quickly took to it . . .

Still, I wasn't doing it by paying attention to the beat when I first played the game. It was more a matter of watching the lady's hands. She has distinct gestures for each step you need to take, you don't need to be exactly on time and actually do a flourish for bonus points if you're slightly delayed in reacting, and there are specific sequences of steps that narrow down what you need to be ready for as you get a feel for them.

I've tried just watching her hands, but my reaction time from interpreting them coupled with the sometimes confusing 'back' and 'forward' meant far too much stumbling. So I just play at the highest difficulty that still shows button prompts and just count the beats.

I'm sure I could learn to read her signals, but that also means dealing with higher difficulties everywhere else and that starts to make the rest of the game less fun. But, I admit I'm only familiar with the Xbox version and have yet to play the PC one.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

I'll be honest, I find the mechanics more engaging than whatever is going on in this fictional country. I've let a scant few through that have gotten me infractions, but nothing to the point of punishment. If they don't have the requisite documents, no entry; it's not my job to care about these folks at my booth. It's my job to stamp papers yes or no.

I will be interested to see if your attitude changes.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Any reason why a good dozen games in my library have 0 - 1024 byte patches today?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

I just realized that most big bodied characters I've seen in media that were combat capable played villains.

So bumbling as protagonists, xioalin monk go rogue as antagonists

Xenonauts, these ship designs, just.... Heat signature should have a space ship design tool to spread this kind of hell

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    poi88a95m3o0.jpg

Completed Shadowrun: Dragonfall and it was loads of fun!

Really it's hard to recommend Shadowrun Returns when Dragonfall is right there. A bit more complexity with the armor system but overall just much more solid than the first game. A more engaging storyline with more twists and turns, various conversation/exploration specific to not just charisma/etiquette options but also your class/other stats, and a nice amount of optional content to do.

It really gave me a Mass Effect 2 vibe, in that you have much more interesting Shadow runner teammates to interact with as well as pseudo loyalty missions for each. That's where the best level in the game comes forward: Feuerstelle. While each of the companions are really solid, the story and conclusion of Glory's storyline (Combat Medic with some wicked looking augments) was by far the best. It also comes with some great music. If you never intend to play this game, I still recommend checking out Glory's backstory and the Feuerstelle level.

Still, no-nonsense troll soldier Eiger, who was the backbone of much of my damage, and punk rocker shaman Dietrich give a lot of flavor to the team. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use Blitz (decker) as much but I was very pleased with the other three.

Even so, it's still an XCOM game and so percentages are god. So I played a mage that raised/lowered armor, hit % and miss % to just destroy it. Still some 90+% shots that were missed that I still have to roll my eyes at.

It was really fun to revisit Shadowrun in the wonderfully chaotic world of the German F-state.

I look forward to visiting Hong Kong some day.

Thanks again to @Gear Girl for gifting me Dragonfall!

Edit: Whoops forgot my usual pictures. Warning, they are large so you can read the text. Very minor spoilers.
    DBD34FB609865004DE8BDE24D895CA47F24DA7FB

0216BE51E3CA0FA565A73E014B2CC8AD1462ABAC

2957B9A361938746B810959919BF0BAD39BBAA62

D0ACD21BA7FAFCC03C11CF957CA2630677D18916

DC41384A2923D9C02FED8D1759D86E14D685AD83

5D98BB7EC598846421ED6A08AB7D4CBD2F70F01B

0FF951BB729DDB1CF8340B38893BCD6E4E2BA88F

Karoz on
This discussion has been closed.