As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Been slacking a lot on the Backlog challenge. Sorry Team! Technically I've beaten one game so far, but it was on Xbox One, and was acquired specifically for review purposes. I'll try to knock something out before the deadline.

But, I kind of just want to play through FFVII again right now. See back in the school year of 1998-1999, I roomed with a fellow Computer Science major who introduced me to the joy of that game. Two years later, after he'd graduated, left, then come back to work for the college, I borrowed the game for a couple of months and did a full play through (to the slight detriment of my Senior year grades).

Since he and his wife now lived off campus, and had both internet and cable TV (something us dorm-dwellers didn't yet enjoy) another friend and I would often load up computer towers, massive 17" CRTs, and truck over to his house in a Saturday to play Starcraft or Diablo together.

We kind of lost touch after I graduated. Oh, we'd exchange Christmas cards every year, but that was about it. He had a Facebook page, but never did more than just sign up.

Anyway, I just found out, from a hand-written note sent in reply to our annual Christmas card, that he passed away last August, at the far too young age of 42. It hurts that my friend is gone. It hurts that we'd drifted so far apart that I didn't even know he was gone for six months.

I'm going to call one of my other college friends whom I haven't spoken to in a couple of years this weekend. And like I said, maybe start an FFVII play through. Life's too short to keep losing contact like this.

Oh geez, I'm so sorry to hear that @shdwcaster!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    We know another game that will be together with Civilization VI in current Humble Monthly - Owlboy.

... yeah, that's pretty good. 12 $ would be a good enough price for Civ VI alone, and now we get one of more interesting indie games of last year. One more really good game and it may be one of the best bundles ever.

If you subscribe to the bundle can you give the keys away to others?

Yeah, I've given away a few Humble Monthly games I've gotten when I already owned them or didn't have any interest in them.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It has been a very long time since a game has gotten it's hooks into me like They Are Billions has. For the first time in close to 10 years I found myself looking at the clock thinking it's around midnight only to realise it's almost 3am.
    Berylline wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations for a game that's similar in scope/style to Yonder?

I got it a while back and my girlfriend tore it to pieces while she was sick, like 40-50 hours in a week.

Now she's interested in another similar experience to maybe stretch out over more than a few days!

I was thinking Slime Rancher, maybe? Anything else come to mind?

@durandal4532

Slime Rancher is a great pick. There's exploring, some farming/ranching, and overwhelming amounts of cute. I've adored both games. Some other possible options include:

Stardew Valley - This one is definitely heavier on the farming aspect, and there's less exploring, but it's a delightfully friendly world to lose yourself in.

Castaway Paradise - It's basically a small animal crossing clone (but definitely not as good as the real thing).

Yono and the Celestial Elephants
    - A simple Zelda-clone where Link is replaced by the cutest elephant you've ever seen. (It is on the shorter end of things though, and has an actual end.)

Okami - There is combat in this, but it really nails the delight in bringing the landscape back to life, and you gain "experience" not by killing things, but by helping things grow, feeding animals, doing favors for people, etc. It's also really beautiful and really long (although it does have an end).

There are also a number of upcoming games that might be worth keeping an eye on. Ooblets, Mineko's Night Market, My Time at Portia, Re:Legend, and Kynseed are just some of them.

Also look up Staxel on Steam. It's early access and I had a lot of doubts on it but it turns out it's amazingly neat. It's a Minecraft/Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing meld with multiplayer

Also have a look at My Time At Portia, which seems to be the same thing as Staxel but with a cartoony look instead of a blocky one. I haven't played either, but both came out on the same day and are getting positive reviews, so maybe have a look at both of them.

Of course I can't find it, but there is an internet theory that if you downvote songs enough times on Pandora, you always end up at Green Day.

You guys are turning this into the Steam version of that theory; but I haven't quite figured out which game you'll always come back to (but I'm guessing Zelda).

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    There are worse game types to land on

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    We know another game that will be together with Civilization VI in current Humble Monthly - Owlboy.

... yeah, that's pretty good. 12 $ would be a good enough price for Civ VI alone, and now we get one of more interesting indie games of last year. One more really good game and it may be one of the best bundles ever.

If you subscribe to the bundle can you give the keys away to others?

That's what I did with some of the last monthly bundle, so yes.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It has been a very long time since a game has gotten it's hooks into me like They Are Billions has. For the first time in close to 10 years I found myself looking at the clock thinking it's around midnight only to realise it's almost 3am.
    Berylline wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations for a game that's similar in scope/style to Yonder?

I got it a while back and my girlfriend tore it to pieces while she was sick, like 40-50 hours in a week.

Now she's interested in another similar experience to maybe stretch out over more than a few days!

I was thinking Slime Rancher, maybe? Anything else come to mind?

@durandal4532

Slime Rancher is a great pick. There's exploring, some farming/ranching, and overwhelming amounts of cute. I've adored both games. Some other possible options include:

Stardew Valley - This one is definitely heavier on the farming aspect, and there's less exploring, but it's a delightfully friendly world to lose yourself in.

Castaway Paradise - It's basically a small animal crossing clone (but definitely not as good as the real thing).

Yono and the Celestial Elephants
    - A simple Zelda-clone where Link is replaced by the cutest elephant you've ever seen. (It is on the shorter end of things though, and has an actual end.)

Okami - There is combat in this, but it really nails the delight in bringing the landscape back to life, and you gain "experience" not by killing things, but by helping things grow, feeding animals, doing favors for people, etc. It's also really beautiful and really long (although it does have an end).

There are also a number of upcoming games that might be worth keeping an eye on. Ooblets, Mineko's Night Market, My Time at Portia, Re:Legend, and Kynseed are just some of them.

Also look up Staxel on Steam. It's early access and I had a lot of doubts on it but it turns out it's amazingly neat. It's a Minecraft/Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing meld with multiplayer

Also have a look at My Time At Portia, which seems to be the same thing as Staxel but with a cartoony look instead of a blocky one. I haven't played either, but both came out on the same day and are getting positive reviews, so maybe have a look at both of them.

Of course I can't find it, but there is an internet theory that if you downvote songs enough times on Pandora, you always end up at Green Day.

You guys are turning this into the Steam version of that theory; but I haven't quite figured out which game you'll always come back to (but I'm guessing Zelda).

Stardew Valley would be a strong contender.
    Other stuff that is often highly recommended by multiple people usually have some caveats attached, e.g. you won't enjoy Alien: Isolation if you don't enjoy horror, you won't enjoy Deus Ex if you can't handle early 2000s controls and interfaces, you won't enjoy Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines if you can't enjoy colons, etc.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    @Drake Have you played any of the Dark Souls/Bloodborne games? If you like games with ambient storytelling that you have to discover and piece together yourself, they might be right up your alley. When I was watching a playthrough of Bloodborne, there was a guy on the channel's subreddit who would expound on all the bits they were finding or missing, combining item descriptions with their locations in game, NPC dialogue and locations, and so forth and so on, to slowly piece together what was going on, and it was really fascinating to follow.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Steamworld Dig 2 complete! Such a great game, I even went ahead and got 100% of the secrets. Haven't done that in...over a decade?

What should I play next?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Steamworld Dig 2 complete! Such a great game, I even went ahead and got 100% of the secrets. Haven't done that in...over a decade?

What should I play next?

Got a shortlist for us to mull over? :smile:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

What should I play next?

Did you clear the super hard sky dungeon at the end? Just curious.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I got a second hand Steam Link cheap on EBay to go with my shiny new 8bitdo blue tooth controller I got in the G&T Secret Santa. Easy to set up wired for me so it seems to work great! I'm bit confused at what appears to be an extraneous steam logo-ed usb dongle that came with it though. Is that meant to be part of the Link setup or is there somebody buying a Steam Controller from this guy in for a nasty surprise?

I'll have to look at my box tonight and see if it has a USB dongle, but think you might be right.

According to Steam's page this is what is in the box.

Steam Link
    Power cable and adapter
    HDMI 2.0 cable
    Ethernet cable

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

What should I play next?

Wait, the what now?
    TeeMan wrote: »

What should I play next?

Got a shortlist for us to mull over? :smile:

Hmm...let me open Steam. How about...
    • Cuphead
    • Deus Ex: HR - DC
    • Flinthook
    • Tomb Raider (2016)
    • War for the Overworld

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular

What should I play
    Hmm...let me open Steam. How about...
    • Cuphead
    • Deus Ex: HR - DC
    • Flinthook
    • Tomb Raider (2016)
    • War for the Overworld

Cuphead is gorgeous and controller-crushing, obscenity-hurling difficult in the best ways.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can definitely vouch for Cuphead and Tomb Raider, although I'm assuming you mean Tomb Raider (2013) there. Unless you mean Rise of the Tomb Raider, which did come out in 2016. Regardless, both modern Tomb Raiders are fine games!

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    I'd definitely go for Deus Ex HR DC or Tomb Raider as a very close second. Easily two of my favorite games in the last decade.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I can definitely vouch for Cuphead and Tomb Raider, although I'm assuming you mean Tomb Raider (2013) there. Unless you mean Rise of the Tomb Raider, which did come out in 2016. Regardless, both modern Tomb Raiders are fine games!

This, and also Deus Ex: HR: DC. Wonderful game, but it's not short if that's a consideration.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just to let everyone know and so you're not offended, I'm starting to go through my unplayed games on Steam as I get to them and refunding ones that I don't like or won't play. I'll send you a message to ya if I refund your gift, in which case you are then eligible to refund them yourself and gift new better stuff to other people.

Consider it a library cleansing of sorts.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Just to let everyone know and so you're not offended, I'm starting to go through my unplayed games on Steam as I get to them and refunding ones that I don't like or won't play. I'll send you a message to ya if I refund your gift, in which case you are then eligible to refund them yourself and gift new better stuff to other people.

I figured gifts would be under the same rules as regular purchases before you can refund; that is, 2 hours or 2 weeks owned, whichever comes first.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I figured gifts would be under the same rules as regular purchases before you can refund; that is, 2 hours or 2 weeks owned, whichever comes first.

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is really going to work with Steam CS.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is really going to work with Steam CS.

Well, not exactly the same thing, but I just got a refund today because my son's friends never claimed the gift copy of Terraria I sent them for Christmas.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I'll just make a poll real quick for which game to play next. Vote here! Since they are all Steam games, I can probably stream the gameplay for fun.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

What should I play next?

Wait, the what now?

When you get all the artifacts, the artifact guy gives you basically a key for a hidden dungeon. It's in the sky above the main desert. You need the final jetpack upgrade to get up there and when you do enter, it's some extremely hardcore Super Meat Boy style platforming challenges.

Unfortunately, I never got to try it because it REQUIRES the fully upgraded jetpack to get to and there's not nearly enough money in the game to buy every upgrade. When you're right before the ending, there's no area with tons of extra money or anything like that, it's just a big oversight from the devs. They also don't warn you to DEFINITELY get the final jetpack upgrade, which is basically a HUGE unnecessary luxury. The only way I could get access is by grinding the blood diamonds from certain respawning enemies for hours. I said fuck it and moved on though.

• Options
    Psychonauts done. Level 101, all the in game things gotten. Missed a few "interactions" but I wasn't really interested. The asylum and fishthing were the best parts. I don't see why Meat Circus is so loathed, but I was also 'naut level 98, with all the health I could bring.

Not sure what to play next. I don't know if I can play through another game before the end of the battle, nor end of the month, but I might try for Bard's Tale, regardless. I find it interesting that apparently these games, both of which were released pre-2005, were given some love at least as recently as 2011.

• Options
    edited January 2018

What should I play next?

Wait, the what now?

When you get all the artifacts, the artifact guy gives you basically a key for a hidden dungeon. It's in the sky above the main desert. You need the final jetpack upgrade to get up there and when you do enter, it's some extremely hardcore Super Meat Boy style platforming challenges.

Unfortunately, I never got to try it because it REQUIRES the fully upgraded jetpack to get to and there's not nearly enough money in the game to buy every upgrade. When you're right before the ending, there's no area with tons of extra money or anything like that, it's just a big oversight from the devs. They also don't warn you to DEFINITELY get the final jetpack upgrade, which is basically a HUGE unnecessary luxury. The only way I could get access is by grinding the blood diamonds from certain respawning enemies for hours. I said fuck it and moved on though.

Huh, I'll have to check it out. I had enough cash to buy everything with some to spare. Granted I did go heavy to economy early so that might have had something to do with it.

Edit: Found the dungeon you were talking about. Yeah, that's so not for me. Not fun at all.

Looks like I'll be playing Deus Ex next, unless the poll changes by tomorrow.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Psychonauts done. Level 101, all the in game things gotten. Missed a few "interactions" but I wasn't really interested. The asylum and fishthing were the best parts. I don't see why Meat Circus is so loathed, but I was also 'naut level 98, with all the health I could bring.

Not sure what to play next. I don't know if I can play through another game before the end of the battle, nor end of the month, but I might try for Bard's Tale, regardless. I find it interesting that apparently these games, both of which were released pre-2005, were given some love at least as recently as 2011.

The Bard's Tale is a Diablo-like that took pride in its simplicity. There was never any reason to keep less powerful weapons or armor, so the game automatically "sold" them for you and you'd get the money as soon as you picked it up. The story tried its best to be funny, although I felt it kind of fell flat at times on that front.

I played through it on PS2 years ago. My notes in backloggery state that I didn't find it to be a good game for whatever reason, and that it took me over 25 hours to beat it. But I also got all three endings. I was probably a little harsh on the game at the time.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Is it two weeks? I thought it was 6 months?

• Options

Nope, 2 weeks owned or two hours played, whichever comes first, unless something has changed very recently.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

So.. Things I dislike about Meat circus:
    1) Gross
    2) Escort Mission
    3) The tightrope scaling part after the Escort Mission just requires too much accuracy for the controls the game gives you. Half the time you'll wind up falling in the water through no fault of your own, but because Raz fails to grab a ladder or some such.
    4) Still Gross

Now you just need to go back and confusion grenade the ad painting dog in the Matador's head.

But yeah, Psychonauts really suffers from the overworld being slow.
    And it doesn't really pick up until the fishman world, where the overworld is quietly ditched.
    Then the Meat Circus throws us back into the platforming from the overworld, and it's just an unfortunately disappointing capstone.

Psychonauts manages to save itself though by trying a lot of different ideas I think, so even though the overworld is rubbish, the fishman world, or the milkman world, are just so remarkable that they overpower the other once-off mechanics that don't land so well (like the nightmares).
    Hopefully they can examine what worked well here and focus only on that in Psychonauts 2 (whenever that's releasing).

Anyway, Day of the Tentacle is done.
    Maniac Mansion is also included in the remastered version of the game, but I didn't complete that.

Day of the Tentacle is fairly decent.
    There's some Adventure game logic in there, and some contextual puzzles that don't offer up their solutions even when you have all the pieces together and are attempting a similar solution.
    It also has an object interaction highlight which I didn't use until the end, and then didn't help any.

It's got some decent humour though.
    There's also some decent prompting throughout the game, pointing at what might need to be done.

And probably the biggest improvement over many adventure games is the split character control allowing for parallel puzzle solving.
    See, you control three protagonists in this game, split over three time eras, each having their own objective that needs to be completed before they can all be reunited again.
    This means often you'll be able to solve puzzles on one path whilst being blocked on another.
    And that just keeps you from reaching for the walkthrough, as you're not often completely stuck.
    At least, not until you've completely solved some of the storylines.

Maniac Mansion looks like it won't pull any punches though, and will let you destroy key items (or even passively allow key items to be destroyed by taking too long) and accidentally kill everyone, preventing you from finishing the game.

So, 3.5/5 for Day of the Tentacle for videogame logic, Did Not Finish for Maniac Mansion (prob 2/5 why won't anyone answer my tentacle mating calls).

discrider on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Once again I have exhausted all the Neps in my inventory. So until I get my hands on Seganep and Cyberdimension it'll be back to filthy regular video game peasantry instead of glorious metahumor JRPG-starring-personifications-of-game-consoles master race.

*ahem*

---

header.jpg?t=1476751747
    MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies!: Competing with "The Room" for Blurst Horror Movie Ever

Developed by Tamsoft, also makers of Senran Kagura, Blanc+Nep VS Zombies is technically a sequel to their previous Nep product, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, which I don't entirely remember posting a review for. It's an action game similar to Dynasty Warriors or, well, Senran Kagura in which you button-mash your way through hordes of mooks. Zombie mooks, in this case.

Our setting this time is Gamicademi, an island school under imminent threat of closure. The core Neptunia cast decides to enter the school as students in an attempt to spur enrollment. Our protagonist this time, the small-statured Blanc, puts aside her authorial ambitions to write, direct and star in an amateur movie alongside Neptune, president of the school's Film Club. Suddenly, a real zombie outbreak strikes the island - the ideal conditions for Blanny and Neppy to make a zombie flick! Can the film club grow into legitimacy, save the school from closure and save the day from the undead, or is it deep six for all involved?

The game is divided into "cuts", individual stages with set objectives and rewards and often preceded by a story sequence detailing what's being filmed. The player selects two characters (from a selection of up to thirteen) and can switch between those characters in-mission, regenerating HP for whoever's in the back line. Each character has their own movesets, divided into ground and aerial attacks utilizing branching combos of Fast and Strong attacks, and stats to determine what they're best at. You also have four SP Attacks, simple special moves on a shared six-second cooldown, and an EXE gauge which fills when hitting enemies and fuels super-strong EXE Drives or lets them transform into a superpowered form with increased stats and alternate combos. The characters you take will earn EXP, granting stats and Skill Points at level-up. Skill Points let you further raise their stats or expand their movesets.

Standard enemies are mostly brainless, mobbing together and attacking you a few at a time. Many missions frequently ask you to take down tougher miniboss enemies which have stronger, more frequent attacks and much greater health. Depending on how your characters are leveled (primarily determined by if you've been sticking with Blanc and Neptune from start to finish) these minibosses could range from interesting targets to total bullshit damage sponges. Certain enemies are strong or weak to certain types of damage (pierce, thrust, impact, ranged or magic) but the tough enemies hit hard enough to punish players who bring underleveled characters. Your choices are thus to either grind up the appropriate less-used character, modify your more-used characters' weapons with type-adjusting "Patches" or just play keep-away long enough to whittle them down with SP attacks and do your best to not get taken down in a couple shots.

After missions end you receive funds, equipable Patches and crafting ingredients. Patches are applied to your characters' weapons for a certain amount of missions, after which they must be restocked or replaced. The game's not terribly clear on that and the indicators seem a bit poorly translated so I found myself not bothering for the most part. There is also a decorative accessory setup that allows you to place silly hats, glasses and other things on your characters, ostensibly to show off your custom Neps in multiplayer.

The characters say things when you explore the menus which gets kind of grating. They try to get your attention if you put the game down for a bit - the loading screen "tips" call it conversing with them but I just found it... objectifying? I identify with the characters more when they aren't going out of their way to target lonely otaku sensibilities and wanting me to treat them as Mai Waifu. STOP BUGGING ME, I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM.

...Kind of ironic that this game isn't on a Nintendo system despite placing the Wii personification in the spotlight, eh?

In summation: Blanc+Nep VS Zombies is a fun little sidestory romp that's held back by a bunch of low-budget oversights including frustrating balance decisions and limited or hard-to-read information. It's still fun when things work out and I'd love to get together with someone for online multiplayer.

My Score: 2.5/5
    Total Playtime: 11 hours

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options

Nope, 2 weeks owned or two hours played, whichever comes first, unless something has changed very recently.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaak. Nevermind then. They shall remain like graves in my library.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    hay steamy peeps, Sword of the Stars: The Pit, one of my favourite roguelikes is trying to Kickstart a board game version!

pit.jpg

9erqb8xv0jkt.png

Go give it a look see if that interests you at all.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Are some of the mechanics as infuriating as the PC game? Please sell me you can instantly game over from an enemy that moves faster than you, attacks multiple times a turn and each attack adding a stack of disease.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Are some of the mechanics as infuriating as the PC game? Please sell me you can instantly game over from an enemy that moves faster than you, attacks multiple times a turn and each attack adding a stack of disease.

Sorry, never happened to me. I'm gonna doubt it tho.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

So.. Things I dislike about Meat circus:
    1) Gross
    2) Escort Mission
    3) The tightrope scaling part after the Escort Mission just requires too much accuracy for the controls the game gives you. Half the time you'll wind up falling in the water through no fault of your own, but because Raz fails to grab a ladder or some such.
    4) Still Gross

Now you just need to go back and confusion grenade the ad painting dog in the Matador's head.

But yeah, Psychonauts really suffers from the overworld being slow.
    And it doesn't really pick up until the fishman world, where the overworld is quietly ditched.
    Then the Meat Circus throws us back into the platforming from the overworld, and it's just an unfortunately disappointing capstone.

Psychonauts manages to save itself though by trying a lot of different ideas I think, so even though the overworld is rubbish, the fishman world, or the milkman world, are just so remarkable that they overpower the other once-off mechanics that don't land so well (like the nightmares).
    Hopefully they can examine what worked well here and focus only on that in Psychonauts 2 (whenever that's releasing).

Anyway, Day of the Tentacle is done.
    Maniac Mansion is also included in the remastered version of the game, but I didn't complete that.

Day of the Tentacle is fairly decent.
    There's some Adventure game logic in there, and some contextual puzzles that don't offer up their solutions even when you have all the pieces together and are attempting a similar solution.
    It also has an object interaction highlight which I didn't use until the end, and then didn't help any.

It's got some decent humour though.
    There's also some decent prompting throughout the game, pointing at what might need to be done.

And probably the biggest improvement over many adventure games is the split character control allowing for parallel puzzle solving.
    See, you control three protagonists in this game, split over three time eras, each having their own objective that needs to be completed before they can all be reunited again.
    This means often you'll be able to solve puzzles on one path whilst being blocked on another.
    And that just keeps you from reaching for the walkthrough, as you're not often completely stuck.
    At least, not until you've completely solved some of the storylines.

Maniac Mansion looks like it won't pull any punches though, and will let you destroy key items (or even passively allow key items to be destroyed by taking too long) and accidentally kill everyone, preventing you from finishing the game.

So, 3.5/5 for Day of the Tentacle for videogame logic, Did Not Finish for Maniac Mansion (prob 2/5 why won't anyone answer my tentacle mating calls).

When I was around 10 or 12 we got a pack of Lucasarts adventure games that had Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It also had some demos of LA Star Wars games that we played about 1,000 times. So many good memories of playing those adventure games! I went back and played the Day of the Tentacle Enhanced recently, and remembered how to do almost all of the puzzles. What useless stuff to be storing in my brain for two decades!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Laverne is the best protagonist LucasArts ever made.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Laverne is the best protagonist LucasArts ever made.

"Yoo-hoo, Mr Tentacle Guy?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just ordered a 2TB SSHD to replace the 1TB HDD in my laptop. Because an excessive amount of storage space (by laptop standards) - for let's face it, mostly Steam games - is awesome.

Still, it occurs to me that I've never replaced a hard drive in a computer up to now, only added them to what was already there. And the last time was a while ago. So, since this is the D drive and not the boot drive, am I to assume that a simple copy/paste of everything from the old drive to the new is good enough and I don't need to faff about with cloning software? I've picked up an external enclosure as well so one of the drives can be plugged in to a USB port while the other stays in the PC, and the old drive can be a backup drive afterwards. Also; is it better to do the copy before switching the drives over?

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I just ordered a 2TB SSHD to replace the 1TB HDD in my laptop. Because an excessive amount of storage space (by laptop standards) - for let's face it, mostly Steam games - is awesome.

Still, it occurs to me that I've never replaced a hard drive in a computer up to now, only added them to what was already there. And the last time was a while ago. So, since this is the D drive and not the boot drive, am I to assume that a simple copy/paste of everything from the old drive to the new is good enough and I don't need to faff about with cloning software? I've picked up an external enclosure as well so one of the drives can be plugged in to a USB port while the other stays in the PC, and the old drive can be a backup drive afterwards. Also; is it better to do the copy before switching the drives over?

For off-drives, copy/paste will typically work fine as long as you keep the original paths and you weren't insane enough to do something like installing your anti-virus to D:. You ideally will want to attach the new drive with the enclosure first and then copy the data over, and then do the actual swap after that.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Okay peoples. It's that time.

During the charity drive, you [collective you, not just you, though you know who you are] went completely bonkers. Consequently, y'all get to go equally bonkers with my Steam profile.

Yep, once again everything is up for you [collective... see above] to change everything. Steam name, avatar, background, badges, showcases, whatever. Whatever it ends up being, it will stay that way for one month. Well... 30 days. I won't even cheat y'all by using February. :lol:

PM me any suggestions for things you want to change. Anything is fair game as long as it won't get me banned. After a few days, I'll take all the suggestions and start a bunch of polls just like last time.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

For off-drives, copy/paste will typically work fine as long as you keep the original paths and you weren't insane enough to do something like installing your anti-virus to D:. You ideally will want to attach the new drive with the enclosure first and then copy the data over, and then do the actual swap after that.

Yeah, I'm not changing any paths and the only things actually installed on the existing drive are games. Everything else is just easily copyable files of various types. Thanks for the advice :)

This discussion has been closed.