Options

and the name of the thread is [POD CATS]

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    What happened in Hawaii
    There was an emergency alert issued for an incoming ballistic missile attack, explictly saying it was not a drill

this was not a firsthand experience I ever expected to share with a giant bomb staffer, and yet here we are

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Timm is horny but yeah Dini is specifically the one with the magician/fishnets fetish.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Whatever that font is that Alex Navarro uses for his twitter handle, it does not work on my phone.

So whenever he tweets, this is what I see it as:

drgwfjilsioe.jpg

I was gonna take a screenshot of it and post it for you and then I learned that my phone also does not have that font.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    bnn9sv6sawda.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Whatever that font is that Alex Navarro uses for his twitter handle, it does not work on my phone.

drgwfjilsioe.jpg

I was gonna take a screenshot of it and post it for you and then I learned that my phone also does not have that font.

I mean, I can see it just fine on my desktop.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    admanb wrote: »

drgwfjilsioe.jpg

So, for a while I was seeing Facebook posts on my phone with those little envelopes. I thought it was a new emoji. And at first, I didn't really pay much attention to it, because it was a trend and I'm not trendy. Trend isn't something I do well, so I ignored it. I'm good about ignoring things. That's not true - I'm not good at being trendy or ignoring things, and after a while, those little envelopes, or little panes of glass with tape over them, began to get under my skin. Not in a major way at first, but the envelope emoji usage began to increase, and more and more I felt like I was falling behind on something that my friends were posting, that my co-workers were posting, that my own mother was getting in on and she's someone who still manages to have typos in speech-to-text.

I googled it. "Envelope emoji trend," "Window emoji trend," "Envelope emoji Facebook," "What do all the envelopes mean." Ten out of ten of my recent Facebook and Google searches that week all involved envelopes and emojis and I was at a total loss.

The next week, I was making plans with a friend to go out to lunch on Saturday. I set a time.

And they sent me an envelope emoji. Or a pane of glass emoji.

And like the fragile, taped over window that may have represented, I shattered. My Google searches became more harried, more frantic, and I was convinced - convinced that there was some grand envelope conspiracy and I just wasn't in the know about it. Like there was an unspoken rule to send envelope emojis out to people and gauge their reactions and eventually Buzzfeed would have an article about a social experiment involving a vertical stampless goddamn envelope emoji and what it did to people.

Later that week, I was at lunch with a co-worker and he laughed at something on his phone and he copied and pasted the text to send to me.

And it was an envelope.

And I lost it, very quietly, but also very passionately, as the lunch rush died down at this Chinese food place - which like, four months ago had done a delivery to our office and one of the guys who ordered found a band-aid in his food and threw up, but that's not the point of the story - the point is that lunch there was super cheap. And also envelopes.

"What the fuck is this," I asked, perturbed, under my breath. "Why did you..."

"What's what?" my co-worker asked.

I laid it all out. "A few weeks ago I started seeing envelopes on Facebook," I said, scrolling through my feed. "Look at this - look at this," I growled. "Envelope. Envelope. Envelope. And look, now, even more envelopes. What is the fuck is going on with these vertical envelopes, Brad? Why don't they have stamps, Brad? What the fuck is going on? I've seen them everywhere and there's nothing on Google, there's nothing on Bing, there's nothing on fucking Snopes about these envelopes and I didn't know what it was when it started and now I don't know who to ask because it's been going on so long and I don't want to not get it, Brad. And then you send me this. You, you, favorite of all my co-workers, you send me an envelope? Why would you do this? Not you, Brad. For fuck's sake, tell me they don't have you too."

And he stared at me for a second.

"You need to download a font pack. Those aren't envelopes. Those are just boxes with 'X's in them. To denote that you don't have the right font installed."

So, anyway, I downloaded what was needed and I could see that people were just posting little thumbs up and smiley faces.

Still not trendy, though.

EDIT: In retrospect, I probably should have figured that out sooner but I was so hung up on the idea that envelopes carry letters and letters are a form of communication, so it would make sense that people would communicate with them on social media or via text message, but I should have realized straight away that they weren't envelopes for communicative purposes.

Because where were the stamps? Those envelopes weren't going out to anybody! You need a stamp to send a letter.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Wow, you got pretty close to going totally postal there.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Can we talk about the mail!?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Yes, there is no meaning in ✉✉✉. No secret order of ✉✉✉✉ at all.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Beastcast RPG Pt2 aka Escape From Du York:

I fully expect Jeff's character to die in the next three minutes since he trusted the others with his character. The one time I did the rest of the party stuffed me into a Bag of Holding and left me there for a week, and I'd almost died from malnutrition. But it actually worked out well since the rest of the group had gotten themselves imprisoned, and when the guards discovered me they assumed I was an innocent victim and let me go, so I could bust them out of jail.

Edit: Haha, "oh it's a Devil May Cry 3 thing!" "Yes, that classic literary reference."

Also: "It's like, what does the tiger want"

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    de Gruttola is a real bad last name.

So I can fully believe that's David Cage's last name.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Maybe we could all stop ironically giving David Cage money now?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    "You want to talk about homophobia?" he said. "I work with Ellen Page, who fights for LGBT rights. You want to talk about racism? I work with Jesse Williams, who fights for civil rights in the USA... Judge me by my work."
    Or the work of the people he's worked with. That's close enough, right?

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Beastcast RPG:
    Dan's self-declared reward of the Empire State Building is the only way the campaign could go, really.

Also the bullshittery of David de Grutolla/Cage continues:

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    spending my day just sitting in a chair waiting for the Blank Check on Robocop to go up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry wait, Bruce Timm does sexy pin-ups?

my whole life is about this now

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    IS THERE A NAKED BATMAN

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't believe any of them are of licensed characters, and they're all women
    There was a book of them published a few years ago but good luck finding a copy for a reasonable price now

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    He's totally done tons of pinup art of comic characters.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Alright yeah that was pretty clearly inaccurate
    I guess I was just thinking about the book he published and sold for money
    Also I just woke up

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah he’s definitely put some of Harley, Ivy, Lois and Catwoman out there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    oh goodness

• Options
    for real tho, Timm's art, as extraordinarily unrealistic as it is, was the catalyst for me appreciating uh

the curves and angles of a form

not even necessarily the female form, you remember all those times that batman is shirtless in BTAS?

I do, I have them carefully filed away in my brain. Him and Supes are why I exclusively pursue triangle shaped men

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    There're some Bruce Timm comic convention portfolio flip throughs full of pencil, ink and colour work on Youtube and they are largely comic characters and they have price tags stuck to them ranging from 200 to 1500 bucks

• Options
    Does anyone happen to know of the current state of Andromeda on PS4? I'm kinda tempted to play Mass Effect to spite EA being terrible. I've seen some of the 1.09 patch comparisons an it looks better than it did at launch, but did they work on the AI at all?

• Options
    I judge David Cage based on his work, and he's got extremely regressive views on minorities and women.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Beastcast RPG:
    Dan's self-declared reward of the Empire State Building is the only way the campaign could go, really.

Also the bullshittery of David de Grutolla/Cage continues:

Despite all my rage, I can't believe how shitty is David de Gruttola

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm confused, why are we making fun of his last name again?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    To demonstrate why people would feel compelled to change their names

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    I'm confused, why are we making fun of his last name again?

Well, I was using his real name to disrupt the Smashing Pumpkin joke that gets pulled out on occasion. (Despite all my rage, yadda yadda yadda David Cage)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    More like David Gratuitous... ly... bad writing! BOOM

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    okay but are we sure his last name isn't drumpf? I bet that'll stop him

• Options
    edited January 2018
    A man is accused of sexism and racism and we're apparently more concerned about proper usage of his last name. :razz:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i expect these to stick to Quantic Dream as well as the accusations against Naughty Dog stuck

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    More like David Gratuitous... ly... bad writing! BOOM

Ha, got ‘em

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    i expect these to stick to Quantic Dream as well as the accusations against Naughty Dog stuck
    It's a little worrying that these are both first party Sony studios

Not that i really expect that any other large company would be better if you dug into them but i don't like seeing consistent patterns if only because they have a tendency to repeat themselves

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

As far as I know, Naughty Dog isn't as closely associated with a single figure as Quantic is with Cage

• Options
    As the article states, a preliminary investigation for harassment and discrimination has been opened by the Paris public prosecutor's office.

So, maybe not.

This discussion has been closed.