As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Beauty of [chat]guage

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Hi from New Zealand, chat! Hope you are all doing well.

Fuck yes, New Zealand! Sorry they didn't make the world cup.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    has anyone used google translate lately?

universal translators are going to suck ass for centuries

it doesn't matter

it's not about when they'll be good, it's about when they're not horrible enough to ignore

which is still relatively far off for agile, universal, on-the-fly translation but maybe not that far

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I thought the google translate ear buds worked pretty well? I haven't tried them but like halfway understanding the other person could still be massively useful.

Just as long as no one comes up with the bright idea of combining that with autocomplete software. :P

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i suspect
    Now, if you take a dictionary and look up those four words you will obtain the following foolish, flat and familiar statement: “I remember a wonderful moment.” What is to be done with this bird you have shot down only to find that it is not a bird of paradise, but an escaped parrot, still screeching its idiotic message as it flaps on the ground?

is going to be the best thing i read all day

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

theyre good gods bront

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT THE SLOGAN AT THE END OF THAT VIDEO

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    has anyone used google translate lately?

universal translators are going to suck ass for centuries

it doesn't matter

it's not about when they'll be good, it's about when they're not horrible enough to ignore

which is still relatively far off for agile, universal, on-the-fly translation but maybe not that far

yeah, like, a universal translator for poetry isn't happening any time soon, but I can't imagine we're far off from "where is the bathroom?" level functionality

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ffffffff one of my solenoids died, and I can't tell if it's from overuse or if it got wet

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I think Nabokov's account there is interesting, though also very fuzzy and extremely subjective/individual. The implications and connections and valences of a word are a huge part of poetry (and the greatest difficulty in translating poetry), but they are also far from universal. I would say Nabokov is assigning them a lot more concrete universality than they perhaps should receive. That's kind of the difficulty of poetry. You're attempting to use very ephemeral tools to evoke, and those tools depend enormously upon the audience. You can't guarantee the effectiveness of your words in themselves.

I find the passage to be unbearably pompous, of a vein of pomposity rich in the humanities and which systematically turns me off of them.

He’s also eloquent and intelligent. Well, hell.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Nabokov hates everything

Every so often you'll see him praise something, then two years later another interview or something where he goes back to shit on it

He must have been the most unpleasable man in literature

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hi from New Zealand, chat! Hope you are all doing well.

Fuck yes, New Zealand! Sorry they didn't make the world cup.

Peru played a better game. Shame though, yeah. Always fun rooting for them.

This trip is a bit bittersweet. My grandmother passed away last weekend, so hopped a plane down ASAP. Memorial is today. Sad occasion, but such a relief that she's not suffering any more. Got family coming back here from far and wide to remember her, which is a wonderful thing.

I'm just feeling very grateful to be down here, that's for sure.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    so much face licking

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Basically it's Pushkin, Madame Bovary, and Dead Souls

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Also: whatever, Wittgenstein.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i suspect
    Now, if you take a dictionary and look up those four words you will obtain the following foolish, flat and familiar statement: “I remember a wonderful moment.” What is to be done with this bird you have shot down only to find that it is not a bird of paradise, but an escaped parrot, still screeching its idiotic message as it flaps on the ground?

it also makes me wonder about his accent in english

his transliteration is weird

I'd write
    ya pomnyu chudnoye mgnovenie

Whoa wait I 100% know this poem actually
    I think the next line is peredo mnoi yavilos tui
    And I tried to on-the-fly translate it for my husband just a few weeks ago and I think I came up with "I remember that marvelous instant," but I also wasn't trying to evoke anything and just to get the meaning across

I still want to read Nabokov's Evgeniy Onegin translation; I do own it, and have owned it for years and yet there it sits quite unread; it seems like a bit of an undertaking...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    And Ulysses

I don't think he turned on Ulysses

(He hated everything else by Joyce)

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i suspect

it also makes me wonder about his accent in english

his transliteration is weird

I'd write
    ya pomnyu chudnoye mgnovenie

Whoa wait I 100% know this poem actually
    I think the next line is peredo mnoi yavilos tui
    And I tried to on-the-fly translate it for my husband just a few weeks ago and I think I came up with "I remember that marvelous instant," but I also wasn't trying to evoke anything and just to get the meaning across

I still want to read Nabokov's Evgeniy Onegin translation; I do own it, and have owned it for years and yet there it sits quite unread; it seems like a bit of an undertaking...

it's funny because his russian accent and the english accent he's referencing to translate would both play a part

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    I think Nabokov's account there is interesting, though also very fuzzy and extremely subjective/individual. The implications and connections and valences of a word are a huge part of poetry (and the greatest difficulty in translating poetry), but they are also far from universal. I would say Nabokov is assigning them a lot more concrete universality than they perhaps should receive. That's kind of the difficulty of poetry. You're attempting to use very ephemeral tools to evoke, and those tools depend enormously upon the audience. You can't guarantee the effectiveness of your words in themselves.

I find the passage to be unbearably pompous, of a vein of pomposity rich in the humanities and which systematically turns me off of them.

I love his introductions to his own books so much; they are so dickish

He's so amazingly arrogant but it is so well-deserved that is it even arrogance? He is the best writer (of all time?) possibly. And his essays are trenchant and insightful and fun.

• Options

keep in mind that some of that pompousness is probably a matter of style, which is forgivable given the era (and also the prior era by which he is influenced)

some of that passage is also quite self-deprecating. or at least, as close as he gets to it.

• Options
    To be fair Madame Bovary is a surprisingly good novel for a 19th century novel about an unhappy rich perdon

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    The apartment smells like cats. But we don’t have cats......

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    spoilers re: Doki Doki Literature Club
    byY1bZp.jpg

this is fine!!

all of my waifus are totally fine

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have to stop reading my normal friend group messenger thread.

You think folks around here sad sack, try a bunch of MAs/PhDs with focuses on International Policy and Politics talking about stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am so looking forward to having an entire day off where I do nothing but listen to King Gizzard albums and paint Warhammer figures

• Options

i love that shit, myself

like one part appreciation and one part laughing at the earnestness and self-importance of it

• Options
    I for one adore Nabokov's prose style

I will not apologize

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Elendil are you out of the Nabokov closet now

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    i need a vacation but i have lost the will to plan one

i haven't been out of the country for 2 weeks since 2014

edit: that's a lie, but i'm not counting work

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mount & Blade II looks like it's going to be fun

I dig the early medieval setting, I quite like M&B already and a slightly shinier version is good. It still looks very Mount & Blade, but I have long since been charmed by it.

But. Taleworlds should fire their UI designer out of a cannon. That's one bit of M&B I never quite warmed to.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Elendil wrote: »
    To be fair Madame Bovary is a surprisingly good novel for a 19th century novel about an unhappy rich perdon

I thought I'd read it because it seems to have influenced a lot of 19th century Russian authors and also characters in their novels, but it didn't do much for me and I barely remember it.
    Maybe I should try again some time.

Dead Souls is *excellent*...although is it Nabokov again who questions the ability of an english speaker to 100% appreciate the novel when we can't even pronounce the melting L of Gogol? oh yes of course it is
    “Gaw-gol,” not “Go-gall.” The final “l” is a soft dissolving “l” which does not exist in English. One cannot hope to understand an author if one cannot even pronounce his name.

Fortunately I read dead souls in Russian* so suck itttttt

*over the course of an entire semester; just a whole class about reading and writing about Dead Souls. It was great. I don't remember it well either, though.

credeiki on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The apartment smells like cats. But we don’t have cats......

Germany has a law about cats per person, its to stop nazis by giving you a furry SS memember to look after you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    Um this was my thing like eight years ago when I still had feelings about stuff

I was all over [chat] with the nabokov

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I can't separate Madame Bovary from the Veggietales in my head.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Has there been a late Roman Mount and Blade mod set after the fall of the western part of the empire yet? I have a hankering for beating up early Byzantium.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

sorry MrMister

you're in love with a pompous dead man now

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    https://i.imgur.com/BhNjIL5.mp4

I understand why canada geese have their reputation

people are afraid of swans, but I grew up right next to where a family of swans graze and I have long since learned that swans ain't shit. They puff themselves up and hiss and I go "fuck off, this is municipal land, I ain't moving" and they back off.

canada geese, apparently, do not

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Um this was my thing like eight years ago when I still had feelings about stuff

I was all over [chat] with the nabokov

Oh shit

Feelings about stuff

Man, that takes me back

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Huh.

We're part of the jobs report now.

A very pleasant woman from the Labor Department out of Kansas just called and chatted a bit about numbers, we'll give them a report every month.

I feel so civic-minded!

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    WhTs a feeling about stuff?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m still in bed but I also stayed up late playing DS2

This discussion has been closed.