As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's behind door number twenty? [Advent Calenders]

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Fun
    @WiseManTobes and anyone else interested ...

Here are the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar goodies through today ...
    87xp8bo6uovv.jpg

From left to right: Sabine; an ... E-Web heavy blaster? ... some crew-served heavy blaster of some sort, anyway; Cassian Andor? ... (preeeeety sure on this one); the Phantom; the Ghost

Elvenshae on
    Fun
    Also, bonus baby pictures, apparently. :D

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Snowtroopers used the E-Web On the Battle of Hoth!

Why yes, and it is me, the dude who spent way too much time reading the essential guides to weapons and ships in high school.

Lasbrook on
    Fun
    Yeah, I know E-Webs - too many years playing SW computer and RPGs - I'm just not sure if that's supposed to be one, or maybe a Mk2 from the Rebel side of Hoth (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_II_medium_repeating_blaster_cannon). :shrug:

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Ahh, ok I misunderstood why you were confused about it, I thought each day had given you context but that seems to not have been the case.

Considering the rest of the legos it is kind of a weird choice.

Edit: I tried looking it up:
    The consensus seems to be it's just a generic blaster cannon, the dude isn't Cassian however, it's this dude:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Taslin_Brance

Lasbrook on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Fun
    Day Six and no words of wisdom again, booo

pmcctnybcf3z.jpg

however, I love this teddy

nuogoak0820b.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Fun
    Day Seven, and is it snowing yet? (Not yet but it's forecast in some parts of Grim North overnight, so nice one)

3hz448fmni2v.jpg

Horsey!

sp3l0wg773ha.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the traditional Christmas Horse

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Little guy has a Playmobil advent calendar this year
    Day #1 was a DOGGIE!!!!
    Day #4 was... a bag of wheat

mkc.png
    Fun
    Day number eight. The calender does not really grasp how a cornerstone element of present giving is surprise and how it's not that hard not to blurt out what you have wrapped up.

enm1j2gvepo7.jpg

A festive bauble. Actually festive even.

68cjlyc9gcuh.jpg

I must say that I am enjoying how deranged this calender is this year, that horse made me double check to see if maybe it was a rocking horse, but no, it's a horse. And a strange looking one at that.

7qmGNt5.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Maybe for you, but I'm one of those that basically twitches when I'm near people I have presents for in an attempt to not tell them and/or just be like "SCREW IT JUST OPEN IT NOW I CANT TAKE IT"

edit: and the Horse reminds me of a Kate Beaton Pony

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Fun
    Oh, I definitely want people to open things, but I'm not going to up and tell them what's in it.

Also, YES that's what the horse reminded me of, I couldn't put my finger on it thank ye!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    My parents love the story of the time I wrapped a present for my dad and then immidentially ran in and told him what it was
    Kids are dumb!

mkc.png
    edited December 2017
    Fun
    Day Nine! No comment behind the door, but it did snow overnight, which (hardly) never happens, GJ day seven!

nuq7bmmqpfz9.jpg

with a lovely round robin, awww

31eh5p6s7knm.jpg

and the framing of those two pictures makes it look like I'm giving you all the finger, fantastic.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fun
    We tried the lindt advent calendar last year and there was a disappointing lack of the actual lindt truffles in.

So this year I just bought myself two boxes of the truffles and emptied them into a DIY advent calendar I had from a while back. It's been a great start to the day

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    Fun
    Day ten! Guess what the calender wants for christmas? My money is on being recycled responsibly. Or maybe a nice fancy hanging nail.

pxphi1z6s6eh.jpg

But look at this excellent snowman though

52a0uklivsi5.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    Fun
    Day Eleven, less than two weeks to go Christmas is on the way indeed..hurrah!

pptj778vyfz4.jpg

Plus, an Angle Angel. We've had a good run of form since the Christmas Horse, but I dread what awaits us later in the week.

89tawkj0s61z.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    Fun
    Some catch-up pics from the LEGO STAR WARS Advent calendar:

Days 6 - 10:
    atng119kn7sk.jpg

6 - First Order Landing Barge
    7 (Missing, because he was being played with at the time) - First Order Trooper
    8 - Gear box: wrench and blaster
    9 - Rey's Speeder
    10 - Minor Thug from The Force Awakens

Day 11:
    zovtmzud3jih.jpg

It's the thing that the first guy to capture BB-8 was riding! Apparently they're called luggabeasts. :D Super cute. My youngest son loves playing with the "dog."

Fun
    Re: #6 above ...
    Seeing it appear on-screen was one of the moments when I knew that TFA was going to get things pretty well right. It was so obviously a piece of repurposed and "sci-fi'd up" WW2 tech; it fit so perfectly into the SW aesthetic. I loved it immediately.

That little Rey's speeder is well done, I kinda want one to go next to the actual lego Rey's speeder

Fun
    Yeah - the models have been really good this year!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Brothers Brick have been opening all three of the Lego Advent calendars if you're interested in what you're missing.
    Some of the City builds have been really neat. The Friends builds... not so much.

Day 11: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/12/11/2017-lego-advent-calendars-day-11/#more-99519

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fun
    So, much like the entire Friends line, the advent calendar is garbage?

see317 wrote: »

Brothers Brick have been opening all three of the Lego Advent calendars if you're interested in what you're missing.
    Some of the City builds have been really neat. The Friends builds... not so much.

Day 11: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/12/11/2017-lego-advent-calendars-day-11/#more-99519

City and Star Wars look like they were great this year so far,...but holy god that lego Friend's calendar makes me sad, what a piece of junk so far, I feel for any kid that got that one.

Fun
    Man #11 there is adorable, I loved that thing in the film so it's great to see a wee little version

7qmGNt5.png
    Fun
    Day Twelve, "Want to build a snowman?" I'm ok thanks, but Disney Corp will be along shortly to exact retribution for this flagrant copyright breach

su9z7z1yhguv.jpg

Appropriately enough, a snowflake!

ngylcunrj34g.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Day Twelve, "Want to build a snowman?" I'm ok thanks, but Disney Corp will be along shortly to exact retribution for this flagrant copyright breach
    su9z7z1yhguv.jpg

Appropriately enough, a snowflake!
    ngylcunrj34g.jpg

You're gonna need a whole lot more of those to build a respectable snow man.

see317 on
    Fun
    Day 12! And one of my favorite recurring minis ...
    uof8hdugav06.jpg
    s6kmrr7cima9.jpg

I've got, like, 6? ... versions of the mini Falcon now. Still love building them! Especially this one, which is the TFA-era Falcon. You can tell because of the square radar dish. :D

God I love how good lego mini builds have gotten over the years, wish they would just sell more tiny sets , I'd buy so many just as like checkout splurges.

Other day saw a 60 piece AT-AT , snapped that up so fast I think it left a burn on the shelf, I would love for stuff like this to become more regular
    latest?cb=20170914104057

Also thinking about it, has Lego ever done an advent Calendar , where on the 25th, you get an extra set of instructions, and now all the previous builds rebuild into something bigger?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Advent calendars weren't a thing in my house. Like, I know what they are and it is kind of a cool tradition, but.. just not ours.

I've spoiled myself by watching videos of the 4 Lego advent calendars - City, Star Wars, Friends, and the build-up set. So.. yeah. Probably shouldn't have done that, but I was tired of 40 seconds of advertising bumper around 15 seconds of sped up assembly.

Instead I've been torturing myself. Staring into the abyss. Laughing at two grown men's misery.

I present: Ashens and Nerdcubed, scoring 4 advent calendars. To say more about their quality would be to spoil things, but let's just say the game changes after day 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZGaM-llyKc

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you're curious about the LEGO advent calendars, Brickset updates every day with all the builds from that day.

Fun
    Yesterday got away from me because I was decorating a tree, but here we go. Unlucky for some, it's day thirteen

glzh9z0q0dhk.jpg

boo

Still, the goodie is a classic bell. Y'know, from slot machines. Or maybe several carols, whatever you like.

5axeqm7uobg1.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    Fun
    Day 13 of LEGO STAR WARS!
    n4zwywrpqx6w.jpg

Some kind of speeder? Looks vaguely like it came from TFA, I think?

Fake edit: Ahah - it is from TFA, and it's a "First Order Snowspeeder" but all its scenes were cut.

Bonus appearance by last year's Day 13, a standard Battle Droid! My kids think "Roger, roger" is funny, which is about the best thing that can be said of the lowly B1.

Fun
    Fourteen and "oh I'm so excited" To be fair, we've pretty much finished decorating now and yeah, getting geed up now. Having to keep half an ear out for the new cats taking an interest in the lights might be something to do with that though.

1daxi8lq5hbc.jpg

This is more of a splat, but I *think* it's a Santa hat. The run of good moulds had to come to an end sometime didn't it.

hctvi9gfv3kv.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Fun
    Day 13 of LEGO STAR WARS!
    n4zwywrpqx6w.jpg

Some kind of speeder? Looks vaguely like it came from TFA, I think?

Fake edit: Ahah - it is from TFA, and it's a "First Order Snowspeeder" but all its scenes were cut.

Bonus appearance by last year's Day 13, a standard Battle Droid! My kids think "Roger, roger" is funny, which is about the best thing that can be said of the lowly B1.

My son is doing last year's Lego Star Wars calendar since we're new to these. Turned out to be a great choice since it has so many prequel/Clone Wars era builds, and he loves that stuff and is always eager for more.

We're just getting to the last bag on the Lego MTT that he had gotten as a birthday present and finally got to building, so he was actually pretty excited for a battle droid. Unbelievably perfect timing on that one.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    My family does advent calendar every year. We usually get some really low end chocolate but the stuff we got this year is really vile. I'm thinking next year, it's time for an upgrade.

Fun
    Day Fifteen! Today I found it nearly impossible to find a Terrys Chocolate Orange, but prevailed in time to see Star Wars.

njwqjcjz02co.jpg

I think this is a penguin? Which isn't what I'd call traditionally festive....

ortrvxw24odn.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    Fun
    Sixteen and the return of the twitter icon robin. Repeats are not on, calender, poor form.

xfhnurhsdg0w.jpg
    wc2r31flbz2e.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    Fun
    Day Seventeen, 8 days to go, which is almost only a week, woo! Now firmly in the "Will that delivery actually get here before Thursday like it said it would?" part of the season

oe7ast872jwl.jpg

I *think* this is an elf?? Maybe?

8x70vd4vo9ao.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's a squid.