As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

San Antonio Restaurant/Dining Suggestions for PAX South 2018

kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
edited January 2018 in PAX South
Copied from the 2016 thread. I didnt find one for 2017.

Food and drink suggestions go....

Summary of the first post from the thread in 2015 (Thanks PurpleSky)

-Whataburger: Open 24 Hours. Late night(after 11)/breakfast? Get the Honeybutter Chicken Biscuit.
- River Center Food Court: Your typical mall food court. On the Riverwalk, great for people watching and listening to Pan Pipes.
- Alamo Street Eat Bar: Food Truck park, good beer selection, 10 minute walk from the convention center (I can recommend this!)
- Tre Trattoria: Some of the best Italian/Pasta in the city.
- The Monterrey: American Gastropub in Southtown, great outdoor seating area.
- Fritte: Belgian Food, also in Southtown.
- Hot Joy: Hipster Asian Fusion. Really, really good.
- The Beethoven: A side of San Antonio most people never see, or even think about. Old school German beer garden in Southtown.
- Shiloh's its close to the convention center and serves German Food. Breakfast is top notch. Also they have good German beer
-
Breakfast Tacos downtown
-Taco Haven
-Pete’s Tako House

Further afield:
- The Pearl Brewery: Walk up the riverwalk towards the Museum Reach. Big new complex that has a number of restaurants: La Glora (Mexican Streetfood), The Granary (Micro-brewery and modern BBQ), Green (Vegetarian, closed Saturdays) and more places I haven't had a chance to try. Also has a Farmers Market on Saturdays if you're into that.
- Taco Taco Cafe: Local institution on Hildebrand. Parking is a bit of a pain, but they've got my favorite breakfast tacos in the city (I'm a Trinity kid, so sue me.)
- Central Market: Upscale Grocery store with great prepared foods. Prices for normal grocery stuff also fairly reasonable.

Some of the stuff we have from before:

Here's a link to the old Google Doc from 2015. Its still a great resource with distance from the Convention Center
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J2zaWDtgGpZTlnWVd4VUozTzQ/edit?usp=sharing

A link to the previous thread from 2016
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/201229/san-antonio-restaurant-dining-suggestions-2016/p11

A Google Map with mapped out places (Thanks VintageUtti)
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGEWTyllhmHI.kt8xxeqFofak

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
kube00 on

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I did go to a nice brewery in 2016...I'll have to check my untappd activity. It was a short walk away

I wanna try some more BBQ this year, doesnt have to be within walking distance. I tried breakfast tacos in 2016 and I want to try them again

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

I ate and drank at the Esquire in 2016 and I enjoyed that. Good food and great beer!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's a place called Kimura ramen maybe a mile or so north and West of the convention center Alamo area.

It's really good. I hit it every year my first night in town.

steam_sig.png
  • wickedtexanwickedtexan Belton, TXRegistered User regular
    Hit up Mi Tierra's for the best Mexican while you're in town. Head and shoulders above any of the overpriced joints along the Riverwalk, it's just about 1.5 miles west of the convention center. We end up making that our first stop when we get into town Thursday night.

Shiloh's, a German Delicatessen close to the convention center is a can't miss as well. Their breakfast is supposed to be top notch but get their early!

• MythrilRobMythrilRob Registered User regular
    @wickedtexan - My family that moved to Plano from Rhode Island rave about Mi Tierra. When I told them I was coming down from RI to visit and then go to PAX, they told me I can’t leave San Antonio without trying that place out. Apparently it stomps all of the local places in RI we know about into the ground. Glad to hear that it’s a solid recommendation.

Thanks for the list OP, I’m coming in from out of state and I really want to explore the food options. Much appreciated.

• sirenasirena Registered User regular
    I concur with everyone's recommendations above.

Southtown is a great choice if you want to stay downtown but want to get away from tourist traps. It's walking distance but also a very quick Uber ride if you're tired of walking. Lots of great choices in that area. It's gotten bigger over the past couple years.

Check out the Yelp reviews for that area to help you decide.

• MurfMurf Registered User regular
    Margaritaville is good as well.

Hit up Mi Tierra's for the best Mexican while you're in town. Head and shoulders above any of the overpriced joints along the Riverwalk, it's just about 1.5 miles west of the convention center. We end up making that our first stop when we get into town Thursday night.

Shiloh's, a German Delicatessen close to the convention center is a can't miss as well. Their breakfast is supposed to be top notch but get their early!

Been to both those places I recommend them. Mi Tierra was good I would say its similar to what I would eat up here in SE Washington and its in walking distance

Alright where can I get good breakfast tacos or a good Breakfast Burrito that is close to convention center? I had to settle in 2016 and I want to make up for it!

kube00 wrote: »
    Alright where can I get good breakfast tacos or a good Breakfast Burrito that is close to convention center? I had to settle in 2016 and I want to make up for it!

The only thing I know of within walking distance to Henry B is La Villita Cafe. I personally haven't had their bfast tacos though - I've only eaten there for lunch. It has 4 stars on Yelp and pics look tasty, so I think it's a safe bet!

Or you can always try bribing a local peep to bring you some tacos from somewhere else ;)

• Mzox210Mzox210 Registered User new member
    Bill Miller BBQ has great breakfast by frost bank. Another BBQ place is Smoke on the other side of the highway. By bestwestern plus sunset suites-riverwalk. 1170 E. Commerce, San Antonio, TX 78205
    ash at sunset station is bar with great drinks and food right behind Smoke.

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    Most of the downtown food is meh. I wish I could organize something to just bring a shit ton of breakfast tacos to the convention for a group from my native home on the south side of SA. Mexican food from there is the best you will find in the city. It's too far to walk, though, and the area isn't easy to traverse if you're not from there. The food, though, is beyond amazing. There are definitely some solid breakfast taco spots that are not too far away by Uber ride. If you're interested, I can post a few.

qbqtLfO.png
  • electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I completely agree with all those who mentioned Mi Tierra. It's really good. Actually, many of the places to eat around Market Square are pretty solid. If you do go to Mi Tierra, be sure to pick up some of the sweets and baked goods. They're worth it.

If you can't get away from downtown/The Riverwalk, do stay away from Casa Rio. Consistently bad service and mediocre food.

The bar inside the Marriott Rivercenter is pretty solid. The bartenders are pretty nice and have had some good conversations with my group. It's a pretty low key and chill atmosphere too. Every time I go to a con in SA (Pax or some other), I always make sure to have a drink or two here at some point.

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    If you want good breakfast tacos that are close to the Hemisphere (about a mile away), go to Tommy's Restaurant at 107 S. Flores St. If you're willing to take a 5-7 min Uber ride outside of downtown, best breakfast tacos in the city can be had at Rosa's Tacos at 1721 Nogalitos St. Thank me later.

qbqtLfO.png
    If you want good breakfast tacos that are close to the Hemisphere (about a mile away), go to Tommy's Restaurant at 107 S. Flores St. If you're willing to take a 5-7 min Uber ride outside of downtown, best breakfast tacos in the city can be had at Rosa's Tacos at 1721 Nogalitos St. Thank me later.

Post more! I must find these breakfast tacos!

I'm a San Antonio native (though now live in NorCal), so please ask away...I'll be happy to list whatever kind of food you want to find, where the best "x" food is, etc. Hard for me to decide what to put since I lived there all of my young life, so I'm relying on you to ask for what you want.

qbqtLfO.png
  • jonnie5isalivejonnie5isalive Registered User new member
    I completely agree with all those who mentioned Mi Tierra. It's really good. Actually, many of the places to eat around Market Square are pretty solid. If you do go to Mi Tierra, be sure to pick up some of the sweets and baked goods. They're worth it.

If you can't get away from downtown/The Riverwalk, do stay away from Casa Rio. Consistently bad service and mediocre food.

The bar inside the Marriott Rivercenter is pretty solid. The bartenders are pretty nice and have had some good conversations with my group. It's a pretty low key and chill atmosphere too. Every time I go to a con in SA (Pax or some other), I always make sure to have a drink or two here at some point.

I'm from SA and Mi Tierra's is the best mexican food downtown and it's open 24hours so anytime you are good to go and you MUST get something from the bakery before you leave cinnamon dusted mexican cookies are the way to go or if they have Buñuelos which is a SA staple during Christmas time get some. Breakfast tacos quick and easy and inexpensive definitely Bill Miller's.

I’m also local (and an adventurous, non-picky food-appreciator), if that helps give me any clout.

Kube, if you *really* want good, mom and pop breakfast tacos, you’ll have to Uber it out of downtown. Or like I suggested before, befriend a local who will bring you some from their side of town. A place where abuela is making the tortillas by hand and the fillings are homemade, not some mass-produced crap. Fresh, soft, warm tortillas mmmm

I can throw out the bat signal on FB to see if my friends have any downtown recs for tacos. I know quite a few people who work downtown. Let me know if you want/care for those.

• jonnie5isalivejonnie5isalive Registered User new member
    Another suggestion is this place it is right downtown on the River Walk .6 miles from the convention center. https://goo.gl/maps/q6tbKH6bkS52 If you have never been here it is a great place to eat and drink and you will never forget the experience.

sirena wrote: »
    I’m also local (and an adventurous, non-picky food-appreciator), if that helps give me any clout.

Kube, if you *really* want good, mom and pop breakfast tacos, you’ll have to Uber it out of downtown. Or like I suggested before, befriend a local who will bring you some from their side of town. A place where abuela is making the tortillas by hand and the fillings are homemade, not some mass-produced crap. Fresh, soft, warm tortillas mmmm

I can throw out the bat signal on FB to see if my friends have any downtown recs for tacos. I know quite a few people who work downtown. Let me know if you want/care for those.

I am happy take a Uber but go ahead and put out the feelers for downtown tacos

Thanks

I'm a San Antonio native (though now live in NorCal), so please ask away...I'll be happy to list whatever kind of food you want to find, where the best "x" food is, etc. Hard for me to decide what to put since I lived there all of my young life, so I'm relying on you to ask for what you want.

How about Happy Hour specials? I went to a Brewery a few years ago had to take an Uber it was 10 mins away.

Hot Joy isn't too far from the Convention Center and has fantastic Asian Fusion

Okay the locals have spoken and Taco Haven (Southtown) and Pete’s Tako House are the winners for downtown breakfast tacos!

• StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good nacho or wing place within easy walking distance of the convention center?

StinkyTurd wrote: »
    Anyone know a good nacho or wing place within easy walking distance of the convention center?

Rosario’s for texmex nachos.

They recently opened another Smoke location downtown. They’re a bit overpriced (considering what we have access to here) but oh well. Good pulled pork nachos and smoked wings. Something different than your everyday nacho/wings. Also they have a good Happy Hour.

edited January 2018
    Mzox210 wrote: »
    Bill Miller BBQ has great breakfast by frost bank. Another BBQ place is Smoke on the other side of the highway. By bestwestern plus sunset suites-riverwalk. 1170 E. Commerce, San Antonio, TX 78205
    ash at sunset station is bar with great drinks and food right behind Smoke.

Smoke looks like its in walking distance from the Convention Center. I'll have to check this out

Near Bill Miller BBQ is off 101 W Commerce St just up from the Esquire, about a 20 min walk from the Convention Center

kube00 on

StinkyTurd wrote: »

Rosario’s for texmex nachos.

They recently opened another Smoke location downtown. They’re a bit overpriced (considering what we have access to here) but oh well. Good pulled pork nachos and smoked wings. Something different than your everyday nacho/wings. Also they have a good Happy Hour.

Got the address or general location from the Convention center?

Okay the locals have spoken and Taco Haven (Southtown) and Pete’s Tako House are the winners for downtown breakfast tacos!

Thanks so much these have been added to my personal list

• AshTRAshTR Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I still haven't tried Mi Tierra, but I usually go to Rosario's every year because their food is crazy cheap (at least, compared to restaurant prices here in Austin it's cheap) for the portion size and quality of food there.

I imagine Mi Tierra is more expensive, but how much better is it than Rosario's?

AshTR on
    zEjfyle.png
    edited January 2018
    Address for Rosario’s? It’s the Southtown one (there are 2 so make sure to google map the right one ha): 910 S Alamo St, San Antonio, TX 78205

It’s a 20 min. walk or 5 min. drive from the convention center.

AshTR, I personally like Rosario’s better bc they have more non-texmex foods, more variety and their margaritas are so good. But Mi Tierra does have that bakery so if you like your sweets, that’s a tough call!

Edit: By “non-texmex”, I mean Mexican food and not the texmex style.

sirena on
  • kgagnekgagne MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Any suggestions for additional vegetarian options? Green was mentioned, but it's 2.3 miles away, which can be a bit of a hike.

• AshTRAshTR Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    AshTR, I personally like Rosario’s better bc they have more non-texmex foods, more variety and their margaritas are so good. But Mi Tierra does have that bakery so if you like your sweets, that’s a tough call!

Edit: By “non-texmex”, I mean Mexican food and not the texmex style.

Ah okay. Yeah, I like traditional Mexican a bit better than Tex-Mex despite living in Texas for pretty much all of my life. Never had one of the margaritas there, but the chips and salsa are legit some of the best I've ever had.

AshTR on
    zEjfyle.png
  • LyvenLyven Registered User new member
    edited January 2018
    If you are visiting from out of town, especially if out of state, i would recommend making time for Big Lou's. It is out of the way *BUT* has been on travel channel and would be something to knock off a bucket list.
    Also, a little out of the way, if you REALLY like breakfast tacos, Rolando's Super Tacos has good tacos about the size of a grown mans forearm.
    More near downtown, I noticed there has been no mention of Guillermo's or Madhatters Tea House. Guillermo's is an Italian place that has some good sandwiches and Madhatters is a great place to go for tea/brunch.

Lyven on
  • kgagnekgagne MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The Cove is two miles northwest and has some veggie options.

This is an interesting resource for places that have been on Food Network/Travel Channel. Lots of places in SA
    https://www.tvfoodmaps.com/search/?searchlocation=san antonio

• mig0mig0 Registered User regular
    Rosario's is my favorite place down there. The Alamo street bar is going to close on the 15th so I recommend checking it out for a last hurrah at PAX.

Estate coffee at 1320 E Houston St just east of the 37 is the best coffee I've had IMO. Worth a mention & worth going to.

B&D Ice house is another good BBQ place in that area worth going to.

YeIZ0Vv.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lyven wrote: »
    If you are visiting from out of town, especially if out of state, i would recommend making time for Big Lou's. It is out of the way *BUT* has been on travel channel and would be something to knock off a bucket list.
    Also, a little out of the way, if you REALLY like breakfast tacos, Rolando's Super Tacos has good tacos about the size of a grown mans forearm.
    More near downtown, I noticed there has been no mention of Guillermo's or Madhatters Tea House. Guillermo's is an Italian place that has some good sandwiches and Madhatters is a great place to go for tea/brunch.

Madhatters is indeed good.

steam_sig.png
  • Auron_22Auron_22 Registered User new member
    Last year a group of us went to Fogo de Chao since it's across the block from the Convention Center. It's all you can eat meats and salad bar and it kept us full almost all day.

I'll put it once more for posterity....Tommy's Restaurant downtown. Awesome TexMex food and not too far away. Maybe a mile or so. Easily walked to.

qbqtLfO.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Get the root beer and pea soup at Shiloh's.

• StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Get the root beer and pea soup at Shiloh's.

seconded also they are happy to give you your 1 root beer refill to go don't let it go to waste. oh and the rueben and schnitzel are damned tasty to.

• beibeenbeibeen Registered User regular
    I just had Kimura (ramen) tonight. Flipping delicious.

vMfjFt9.png