The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

San Antonio Restaurant/Dining Suggestions for PAX South 2018

kube00kube00 Registered User regular
edited December 6 in PAX South
Copied from the 2016 thread. I didnt find one for 2017.

Food and drink suggestions go....

Summary of the first post from the thread in 2015 (Thanks PurpleSky)

Whataburger: Open 24 Hours. Late night(after 11)/breakfast? Get the Honeybutter Chicken Biscuit.
- River Center Food Court: Your typical mall food court. On the Riverwalk, great for people watching and listening to Pan Pipes.
- Alamo Street Eat Bar: Food Truck park, good beer selection, 10 minute walk from the convention center
- Tre Trattoria: Some of the best Italian/Pasta in the city.
- The Monterrey: American Gastropub in Southtown, great outdoor seating area.
- Fritte: Belgian Food, also in Southtown.
- Hot Joy: Hipster Asian Fusion. Really, really good.
- The Beethoven: A side of San Antonio most people never see, or even think about. Old school German beer garden in Southtown.

Further afield:
- The Pearl Brewery: Walk up the riverwalk towards the Museum Reach. Big new complex that has a number of restaurants: La Glora (Mexican Streetfood), The Granary (Micro-brewery and modern BBQ), Green (Vegetarian, closed Saturdays) and more places I haven't had a chance to try. Also has a Farmers Market on Saturdays if you're into that.
- Taco Taco Cafe: Local institution on Hildebrand. Parking is a bit of a pain, but they've got my favorite breakfast tacos in the city (I'm a Trinity kid, so sue me.)
- Central Market: Upscale Grocery store with great prepared foods. Prices for normal grocery stuff also fairly reasonable.

Some of the stuff we have from before:

Here's a link to the old Google Doc from 2015. Its still a great resource with distance from the Convention Center
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J2zaWDtgGpZTlnWVd4VUozTzQ/edit?usp=sharing

A link to the previous thread from 2016
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/201229/san-antonio-restaurant-dining-suggestions-2016/p11

A Google Map with mapped out places (Thanks VintageUtti)
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGEWTyllhmHI.kt8xxeqFofak

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Just celebrated my 10th PAX trip

Twitter:kube00
kube00 on
MythrilRobsirena

• kube00kube00 Registered User regular
    I did go to a nice brewery in 2016...I'll have to check mu untappd activity. It was a short walk away

I wanna try some more BBQ this year, doesnt have to be within walking distance. I tried breakfast tacos in 2016 and I want to try them again

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Just celebrated my 10th PAX trip

I ate and drank at the Esquire in 2016 and I enjoyed that. Good food and great beer!

sirena
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    There's a place called Kimura ramen maybe a mile or so north and West of the convention center Alamo area.

It's really good. I hit it every year my first night in town.

steam_sig.png
    MaggieTheCat
  • wickedtexanwickedtexan Belton, TXRegistered User regular
    Hit up Mi Tierra's for the best Mexican while you're in town. Head and shoulders above any of the overpriced joints along the Riverwalk, it's just about 1.5 miles west of the convention center. We end up making that our first stop when we get into town Thursday night.

Shiloh's, a German Delicatessen close to the convention center is a can't miss as well. Their breakfast is supposed to be top notch but get their early!

MaggieTheCatMythrilRob
  • MythrilRobMythrilRob Registered User regular
    @wickedtexan - My family that moved to Plano from Rhode Island rave about Mi Tierra. When I told them I was coming down from RI to visit and then go to PAX, they told me I can’t leave San Antonio without trying that place out. Apparently it stomps all of the local places in RI we know about into the ground. Glad to hear that it’s a solid recommendation.

Thanks for the list OP, I’m coming in from out of state and I really want to explore the food options. Much appreciated.

kube00
  • sirenasirena Registered User regular
    I concur with everyone's recommendations above.

Southtown is a great choice if you want to stay downtown but want to get away from tourist traps. It's walking distance but also a very quick Uber ride if you're tired of walking. Lots of great choices in that area. It's gotten bigger over the past couple years.

Check out the Yelp reviews for that area to help you decide.

• MurfMurf Registered User regular
    Margaritaville is good as well.

Hit up Mi Tierra's for the best Mexican while you're in town. Head and shoulders above any of the overpriced joints along the Riverwalk, it's just about 1.5 miles west of the convention center. We end up making that our first stop when we get into town Thursday night.

Shiloh's, a German Delicatessen close to the convention center is a can't miss as well. Their breakfast is supposed to be top notch but get their early!

Been to both those places I recommend them. Mi Tierra was good I would say its similar to what I would eat up here in SE Washington and its in walking distance

Alright where can I get good breakfast tacos or a good Breakfast Burrito that is close to convention center? I had to settle in 2016 and I want to make up for it!

• sirenasirena Registered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    Alright where can I get good breakfast tacos or a good Breakfast Burrito that is close to convention center? I had to settle in 2016 and I want to make up for it!

The only thing I know of within walking distance to Henry B is La Villita Cafe. I personally haven't had their bfast tacos though - I've only eaten there for lunch. It has 4 stars on Yelp and pics look tasty, so I think it's a safe bet!

Or you can always try bribing a local peep to bring you some tacos from somewhere else ;)