As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meownster Hunter: World - Out now!

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    who would like to hunt monsters with me? it seems like a good thing to do

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    also since i didn't mention it my PSN is CommunistLich

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yesss MonHun World is working as a gateway drug as intended. I have a friend, I've been trying to get him into monster hunter for years, tried one of the 3DS games and bounced clean off of it.

Today we sat down and did all three hunts in a row, doing the third hunt twice to beat it, and he had a total blast. He used the hammer and I used the greatsword and we just tore shit up in a glorious chain of tripping, stunning, paralyzing, tail cutting off action. Immediately after we beat the third monster he pre-ordered the game and asked for youtube channels to learn more, so I pointed him toward Gaijin Hunter.

I'm so pumped!

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Yo, this game rules. I just think the Hunting Horn sound design is a little too quiet, though. I can't even tell if I got my buff half the time.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Okay I did all of the solo quests and The Gunlance is my best friend ever

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    found a rathalos while doing the hard hunt.

That sure was something.

came in, fucked up the guy i was fighting and then we started fighting, it wrecked my shit and i managed to finish the hunt.

I wanna fight the Rathalos though.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Anyone want to get a hunting party together right now?

I'm Robo_Wizard1 on PSN

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay the bow is not the weapon to use on the intermediate hunt

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jesus fucking christ this game is literally all the systems at once

no wonder everyone bounces off of this series

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Just hit the monsters

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

They ease you in the actual game

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    The first MH started off pretty slow. There are a lot more mechanics here, but I'm confident they'll ease us into the mechanics.
    Learning your weapon and the tells of each monster are what take a while.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Gunlance and Heavy Bowgun are gonna be my go-tos.

It is extremely fun to knock a monster down and either shelling it with cluster bombs or unleashing a hellish machine gun volley

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    advice for gunlance babies: when you knock them down with a gunlance you should be using the big charge up explosion move (wyvern's fire) if it's not on cooldown

but the real hotshot strat is starting wyvern's fire while they're charging you and having it go off and stagger them right before they hit you :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Knocking down a charging monster is one of the best things.

Knocking a flying monster out of the air is also pretty awesome.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    what is a good weapon for a newbie?

The only ones I tried in the practice area that didn't feel weird and bad were the Great Sword and the long sword.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hammer is pretty good and straightforward.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Great sword or sword and shiel

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hammer is pretty good and straightforward.

I couldn't figure that out at all. it seems to have two moves total.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    None of the weapons are all that complicated, except maybe the charge blade.

Just pick something you like. And maybe watch a tutorial video on youtube for it so you know what does what.

Here's one for Longsword, which is probably easier than Greatsword just because it's faster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4y_a9xQ02k&t

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    anyone want to just do the beginner hunt with me?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    anyone want to just do the beginner hunt with me?

yes, i went you a message.

also, the charge axe is good.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

yeah the demo is not real nice about easing you into ALL THE FUCKING THINGS

• Options
    I recommend weapons based on what style people want to try.

Hit and Run? Try Greatsword or Hammer

Want to be very aggressive and stick to the monster? Try longsword or dual swords or lance.

Want to battle at range? Well, kind of obvious answers here.

Want interesting meter management? Look at charge blade or gun lance.

Stuff like that. No weapon is really beginner friendly if you want to play in a style it doesn't support.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I'll give this a try, it looks neat

The longbow seems to have the proper release/arrow on this side of the bow thing, despite the bows being anime as fuck

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Breaking the drone out from the insect glaive is a smart change

Instead of having to upgrade the bug for each individual glaive, now you just pick a bug and equip it

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I like the long sword.

• Options
    okay, so charge axe, am i understanding it correctly?

In sword more it drains meter that does elemental damage, this makes it stronger than axe. If you combo into the Triangle cicle move it does a bunch of small hits and explodes.

Axe mode seems to be mostly for meter building but you have a near endless combo with circle that seems pretty good.

Is this about right? i'm sure there is a much deeper layer here i am simply unaware of but i've used it for an hour.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

In sword more it drains meter that does elemental damage, this makes it stronger than axe. If you combo into the Triangle cicle move it does a bunch of small hits and explodes.

Axe mode seems to be mostly for meter building but you have a near endless combo with circle that seems pretty good.

Is this about right? i'm sure there is a much deeper layer here i am simply unaware of but i've used it for an hour.

Wait, charge blade or switch axe?

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »

the axe that becomes a sword.

switch axe?

the other one seems to work in reverse where a fast weapon becomes a slower elemental weapon, but the combos are all different.

Melding on
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

the axe that becomes a sword.

switch axe?

Yeah switch axe! Or, as my friend lovingly calls it, the swaxe, for, ya know, swagger and axe.

But no you've got the gist of it. Build meter with the axe, endless combo is great to build meter if the enemy is stationary. Axe also has mad reach for great tail cutting.

And then sword mode is for the mad deeps.

That's the surface level, at least, I'm sure gaijin hunter has a video with more details, but I never got deep into that weapon myself.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My problem with these games is the weapons all seem to drastically change the entire gameplay, but it takes a long time to test each one and if you get on a bad streak it's just no fun

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    My problem with these games is the weapons all seem to drastically change the entire gameplay, but it takes a long time to test each one and if you get on a bad streak it's just no fun

Trying out new weapons to decide what I want to focus on is the entire point of the demos for me, for this exact reason.

• Options
    aren't the low level weapons fairly easy to make? i seem to remember having most of them near the start in monster hunter 3.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Traditionally they start you off with one of every weapon, but they only have yellow sharpness so they're pretty bad

It's quick to upgrade them to green sharpness though

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The more recent games give you a starter weapon (bone, iron, etc.) for each weapon type

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    You get one of every weapon at the start, the iron version, in most of the games. It just takes a lot of like, hours of playing to really learn a weapon, imo. And when the game hits I get caught up in the zeitgeist of trying to advance alongside my friends through the content.

I'm about to hop on and try new weapons, PSN is WinterFlea if anyone wants to team up.

• Options
    we nearly defeated a rathalos, instead we merely got a moral victory.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I have hunted the mighty Anjanath

It took a few tries, though most of that was because I had forgotten how the principal method of MonHun melee is ‘get all up in their junk’.

• Options
    I just learned that I could have been eating meals at camps to give myself attack up.

Also that everyone starts with demon powder to give the group an attack up boost.

I bet we could take Rathalos using that.

Also, uh, apparently Diablos is ALSO hiding in the demo.