As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I don't know if ever seen the three as angry at each other as in Colombia.

Also apparently Donkey fucking is an accepted pastime in rural Columbia?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    That was some A grade Top Gear. I loved Hammonds big stupid truck.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Hammond needing a step ladder was so much more funny than I imagined, and WTF Colombia protect your donkeys!

This first special episode felt more real like old trips where they just stumbled into real things

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I've never seen a love my car speech end up like that but I'm so glad it was Hammond.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I don't know if ever seen the three as angry at each other as in Colombia.

Also apparently Donkey fucking is an accepted pastime in rural Columbia?

Yeah, I actually (VERY CAREFULLY) looked that up because I thought there was no way it wasn't a joke.

Nope, it is totally considered a normal thing in some places there and not at all vile and horrifying. Apparently there is a for-real belief that the... interaction will make your dingus permanently more bigly.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hammond needing a step ladder was so much more funny than I imagined, and WTF Colombia protect your donkeys!

This first special episode felt more real like old trips where they just stumbled into real things

My favorite bit was their shot reel at the very end, especially since they're so bad at taking pictures that you have no idea which camera was even used. Hammond cranking his camera hide around like a WWII AA gun was up there too.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm not ashamed to admit I want that Jaguar XE Project 8. I have no idea what I'd do with it - probably nothing close to what it's capable of - but I do like that Jaguar still have it in them to make completely loony cars. And the Project 8 is even madder than the XFR-S.

It's also nice to see a news story about Jaguar that isn't all doom, gloom and Brexit creating even more doom and gloom.

• Options
    "Man of modest statue" Yasssss kween slay

Also I like how real Jeremy falling on his fat ass with the water hose was.

• Options
    May and Clarkson should really consider getting into better shape. If just to reduce their odds of being randomly killed attempting some silly task.

• Options
    Clarkson was talking about "doing dying" a worryingly large amount in last week's episode.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    That fall of civilization episode was real jarring. I watched it right after re watching the Columbia special and it was night and day. It felt like one of those straight to DVD specials they used to do for the BBC.
    I mean it wasn't bad and the death of the guest segment this season is for the greater good.

The greater good... Sorry is also watched Hot Fuzz.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Felt like an old episode of Top Gear to me, no bad thing.

• Options
    Never apologise for watching Hot Fuzz.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    The Jim Clark film in the new episode was absolutely excellent.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    A+ to the film editors for, when Clarkson puts the Urus in "Strada" mode, using the (original) Doom switch sound effect.
    dylman wrote: »
    The Jim Clark film in the new episode was absolutely excellent.
    That might be the best history film they have ever done.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    That Jim Clark segment was brilliant. I wish they would do more stuff like this.

I recently read "Go like hell" about the Ford - Ferrari LeMans rivalry in the 60s. That would be great for a segment.

Or if they go and visit TechnoClassica, the worlds biggest vintage car fair in Germany.

Or do a segment on Fangio.

So much stuff they could cover.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    That Jim Clark segment was brilliant. I wish they would do more stuff like this.

I recently read "Go like hell" about the Ford - Ferrari LeMans rivalry in the 60s. That would be great for a segment.

Or if they go and visit TechnoClassica, the worlds biggest vintage car fair in Germany.

They did the Ford/Ferrari item during one of the Christmas episodes

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Oh man, new episode was awesome. Fucking classic. Also, Hammond gonna kill a horse.

edit: oh and Amazon's streaming app is a piece of shit

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The Jim Clark bit was a really spectacular little feature. I love their three stooges antics, but the Jim Clark piece was pretty touching.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Highly recommend the BBC documentary Grand Prix: The Killer Years if that era of F1 interests you and you don't mind watching something that will make you sad/angry.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2019
    jmcdonald wrote: »

They did the Ford/Ferrari item during one of the Christmas episodes

Did they? I must have forgot.

EDIT: Oh crap, they did. Episode 6 of the first season. Need to rewatch that.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    This was a great episode of GT, what a weird Chinese car.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I do wonder why the electric ... whatever it was ... was slower than the McLaren. I guess just weight?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Track speed comes down to a lot more than raw power. Weight and weight distribution could have been factors (those batteries were crazy heavy), but I'm betting that the ultimate differences came down to the McLaren being able to corner better and faster. And the Eboladrome is decently curvy, so a car with high horsepower can't just lean on pure acceleration and speed to come out ahead.

Still, it was pretty interesting to see the advancements coming through on electric vehicles. The horsepower there was just batshit crazy and a 45-minute battery recharge (that requires removing the batteries as well) is still silly in terms of practical use, but those are both big improvements over even just a decade ago.

And in all honesty, an electric car with that much power actually sounds pretty neat when they're driving it around.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Really not a fan of their blatant transphobia in one of their recent episodes. Disgusting and also very disappointed Amazon would air it.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Really not a fan of their blatant transphobia in one of their recent episodes. Disgusting and also very disappointed Amazon would air it.

Huh?

• Options
    I have to assume the license plates on those three cars weren't a Patagonia-style accident.

• Options
    Can we change the title to "the brown honkey of James May's dreams"?

• Options
    That episode as a bit underwhelming and a bit too much on the nose with the "China is great" tone throughout, with even every bit of conversation street being about China. I liked the electric car and some of those aerial shots of the Chinese roadnetwork were amazing, but overall not the greatest episode ever.

Mays suit was hilarious though.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I have to assume the license plates on those three cars weren't a Patagonia-style accident.

I caught that as well. The electric supercar was pretty impressive, aside from the hilarious battery change.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Season 26 of Top Gear aired last night.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the last season with Matt LeBlanc and Rory right?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That episode as a bit underwhelming and a bit too much on the nose with the "China is great" tone throughout, with even every bit of conversation street being about China. I liked the electric car and some of those aerial shots of the Chinese roadnetwork were amazing, but overall not the greatest episode ever.

I do wonder if maybe Amazon was a bit more involved in this than usual

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

what part of shitty expensive cars, highways with no water run off and a complete lack of gas stations said "China is Great" to you?

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

what part of shitty expensive cars, highways with no water run off and a complete lack of gas stations said "China is Great" to you?

Not to mention the bit where they visit the monument to the premiere historical Communist figure for China and ironically go nuts in the gift shop and follow it up with hopping across the street to pig out at McDonalds, and spent the beginning of the episode trashing the "luxury" Chinese car as a hideously overpriced piece of junk.

I feel like they were presenting a pretty real example of China. Lots of big things happening, but also lots of weird and disturbing things in a country with a complicated history and government. They didn't seem interested in straight trashing it uniformly.

• Options
    The drainage situation made me really appreciate the roads in NA.

• Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular

That tent skit did seem to be oddly targeted for sure, like they were making some plausibly denialable goofs on people "faking" gender disphoria but making it the focus of a tent skit made it seem a lot less veiled.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Season 26 of Top Gear aired last night.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the last season with Matt LeBlanc and Rory right?

LeBlanc quit this past August, so I'd guess yes. I was under the impression that Rory wasn't leaving entirely, but was moving back to the background / secondary presenter? I dunno, I don't really watch it much anymore and losing Evans and LeBlanc so quickly after the three left seems like a real blow.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    The drainage situation made me really appreciate the roads in NA.

I've been around a few China designed and built industrial plants and equipment and all I kept thinking about as they showed wide shot after wide shot was how many tens of thousands of miles of road they are going to get to rebuild in 10 years.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

That tent skit did seem to be oddly targeted for sure, like they were making some plausibly denialable goofs on people "faking" gender disphoria but making it the focus of a tent skit made it seem a lot less veiled.

The situation they were referencing was literally about someone changing their legal gender because their insurance went from something like $200/month down to $60. It happened in Alberta I believe last year, guy couldn't get his rates reduced so he asked what it would be if he was a woman, then he changed gender and got the lower price.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/change-gender-identification-insurance-alberta-1.4754416

$4500/year as a man, $3400 a year as a woman.

Myiagros on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    There's no way they don't know about it, but I am hoping during a Conversation Street they talk about Wrecking Ball from Overwatch. There is just so much ammo for Jeremy to mock him, and you can even have some London Spitfire talk and them being confused that the whole team is korean and then James says they should be called London Hurricanes.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm highly doubtful that any of them know that either Overwatch or Blizzard exist at all, much less the characters within.