Options

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    from previous thread
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Oh, so that is how you greatsword
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCThkSAEAM

Are there i-frames on the GS shoulder tackle? It seemed like the player was tackling into attacks and not getting hit/stunned by them.

shoulder bash has hyper armor. you can use it against roars too

How does hyper armor work in MHW? Is it anything like DS3's poise, or more like previous games?

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    from previous thread
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Oh, so that is how you greatsword
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCThkSAEAM

Are there i-frames on the GS shoulder tackle? It seemed like the player was tackling into attacks and not getting hit/stunned by them.

shoulder bash has hyper armor. you can use it against roars too

How does hyper armor work in MHW? Is it anything like DS3's poise, or more like previous games?

@1:14 you can see a shoulder bash through a roar. roars usually stun hunters for a short time without a certain skill on your armor but if you time should bash right you plow through. no damage taken here (only a few roars cause damage anyways)

@1:21 you see gs begin charging, then cancelled into shoulder bash. the rathalos actually hits the hunter here, but the hyper armor keeps you bash animation going and the hunter takes a reduced amount of damage

so unless theres monsters that can ignore hyper armor (maybe some end game ones) it seems as long as you time it right, you will always be able to begin charging, then cancel into shoulder bash to avoid getting knocked over/away

the fact that shoulder bash is the linker to even better GS charges is just icing on the cake

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I think the only thing about the palicos I actually really will miss, if it's not in this one, is when they'd plant barrel bombs and do all this comedic stuff trying to fight the monster. Hearing an explosion and seeing a flaming cat go by was just pretty hilarious.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So I skipped the PS+ beta as I want to wait for PC and playing this before hand would just make that harder. I got into MH with Tri with a local buddy ( @Stryker43 ) who will be getting the PC version so I'll see all you other PC people there. I alternated between Hammer and Switch Axe in Tri and then added Hunting Horn in MH3U (WiiU version). I'm glad to hear they are all doing well in world and look forward to playing around with the changes to the hunting horn. Really hope we get info on the PC dates soon.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    going to stream some MH

https://www.twitch.tv/frawrst/

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I think the only thing about the palicos I actually really will miss, if it's not in this one, is when they'd plant barrel bombs and do all this comedic stuff trying to fight the monster. Hearing an explosion and seeing a flaming cat go by was just pretty hilarious.

They still do comedic stuff. Mounting small monsters into the fight, or having an actual cat-shaped ballista from what I saw in a vid.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »

They still do comedic stuff. Mounting small monsters into the fight, or having an actual cat-shaped ballista from what I saw in a vid.

Oh cool I didn't see them doing that stuff when I played the beta. Awesome!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely saw the cat-shaped cannon happen a few times, and the little cat floaty raft thing is beautiful

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I guess you can set a way point in the map for the tracking flies with R3?

This changes everything.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

This changes everything.

..............what

• Options
    Arch wrote: »

This changes everything.

..............what

Exactly.

everything

• Options
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

This changes everything.

And that waypoint can be a moving entity like a player or monster.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You can also change what you're tracking with r3 while you're running around. I'm still having a few issues with how it all works but I have a feeling there's just going to be a settling in period before all the new interface stuff really clicks. I've hunted a few other random big monsters and have had some pretty good fun today.

I have to say, the new switch axe mount burst thing is very satisfying when you mount onto a monster's tail and blow it clean off with the element burst.

• Options
    I still feel like I'm missing something when it comes to mounting.

I noticed that out of all the weapons I've tried (bow, all three bowguns, IG, and longsword), only insect glaive does extra damage when moving between mount locations. Does anyone know if this is true for all weapons? If so, mounting as an IG user is very different than other weapons, because you'll apparently need to be jumping around on the monster to maximize damage.

I didn't test whether or not this extra damage contributes to toppling, though.

I also feel like toppling takes so much longer this game than it used to, and doesn't seem like a good strategy any more.

• Options
    Mounting has always been controversial. It always lowers DPS during the mount (in old games completely, in this version, basically one player), but monster knockdowns usually result in a higher DPS afterwards from being able to maximize positioning and slow attacks. Of course if you *fail* then the gamble doesn't pay off.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    stream back up

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Wooo. Broke Diablo's Horn in multi. Anyone kill it yet?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    you can solo him with DS pretty easily

water ele ds and solo hp is real low

in others news

local barroth dies to train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EiIFzBDv7E

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Ah, by "monster hunter" they mean the players are monsters that also hunt. I get it now.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I managed to get this downloaded last night and played for only like 15 minutes. Did not really have a chance to give it a good shake.

I think I liked it, but I'm not really sure. Wish I could have spent more time with it. All I had time to do was load into the practice mode, shoot a slingshot at a few barrels, I figured out that I can rope swing, attacked some barrels with the starting axe-sword thing, and found it to be far too unweildy for me, so I tried a different sword that the instruction video said was for close quarters thrusting. It seemed to work better.

Then I went to singleplayer and did the first hunt.

Being new to the game/franchise, I had no clue what I was doing, other than in the most general sense of "hunting monsters." So I went and followed these green fireflies around, found my prey, it had way too much HP and it took forever to kill, but there seems to be some neat environmental stuff that can happen if you know what you're doing. The beast got tangled up in some vines -- total accident. Then the beast charged me and seemed to get stunned when it smashed its head into a rock outcropping. Then I followed it home to its lair and murdered it in front of all its children.

• Options
    I tried like 5 times to beat the diablos in the solo hunt with gunlance but wasn't able to do it within the time limit. Three of those times I got him to like literally nearly dead, he slept and everything, but I timed out. Argh!

I am not the best with gunlance and I haven't fought a ton of diablos since back in MHFU but still, I really thought I could do it. :/

• Options
    I was using Diablos as a test platform for the new Lance moveset.

I wasn't really playing to beat him as much as I was working out the timings on the new block attacks+guard points.

• Options
    Something I did find out that helped my times alot was realizing I didn't have to run way from him when he burrowed, I could just hold block and then he'd smash into the shield. I'm used to playing LS so you know, running is what you do.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I went and followed these green fireflies around, found my prey, it had way too much HP and it took forever to kill

I love how all these first impressions from people new to the series are, “these monsters are too much of a pain to kill.”

Y’all... y’all have no idea. :biggrin:

Frem on
  • Options
    I played alot of Lance yesterday

the true guard (r2+circle for counter thrust, then press x) seems to even autoguard behind, and the new movement lets you counter thrust out of it behind you

think imma do Lance LS GS CB for MHW

wasnt really feeling SNS which is usually my go to as well

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    SNS has something wrong. It's hard to put my finger on it but it did not feel as good as it used to to me.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    What time does the beta end?

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    SNS has something wrong. It's hard to put my finger on it but it did not feel as good as it used to to me.
    Seeing damage numbers I felt so weak u_u if it feels the same at release I will probably main something else after playing the last three games as sns

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »
    So I went and followed these green fireflies around, found my prey, it had way too much HP and it took forever to kill

I love how all these first impressions from people new to the series are, “these monsters are too much of a pain to kill.”

So I'm guessing by your reaction to my reaction that this is how the series is? Really long, sloggy boss fights?

• Options

So I'm guessing by your reaction to my reaction that this is how the series is? Epic contests of raw power and skill, warrior against beast, man against nature!

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    I'm hoping they extend the beta. I'd like to mess around with it a bit more. Bummed that I didn't even learn of its existence till yesterday.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Wow, this is really impressive:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jD5_fyiAc

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Going to be on call for the launch weekend so if we play together know I may have to drop at any moment.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    CantePerMe is a really solid hunter, he always has great stuff on his twitch and YT.

So I'm guessing by your reaction to my reaction that this is how the series is? Really long, sloggy boss fights?

that is how your first fights will be, or first fights against new monsters.

but as you get better and understand spacing, movement, punishes, whiffing, charges, dps combos etc etc

you will begin to lower and lower your par time

first time against your new "wall" (a monster who you cannot beat) will demolish you. then you go back, check out its weaknesses, maybe chat with us here for some tips

then you farm some gear to specifically help you beat that monster

and finally you've done it, you've beaten your wall

in 28 minutes

next time you fight him because you want his dope ass Lance and armor set

its 22 minutes

then 19

then 14

then 12

then you consistently beating him in under 10, and you have become a wall demolisher and come here to post tips, your best times, and how much you love level 3 GS charging his head

its all part of the game

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    It is also worth mentioning that a recurring monster is Goku.

This may make less sense than I intend if you haven't watched any dragonball, but I assure you that one youtube search for the best of him will get the idea across post-haste.

But yeah, a new fight feels like a slog because you can't hit the monster effectively. Dance like a Tigrex... Sting like a Tigrex? Man, you could solve most of life's challenges by successfully emulating a Tigrex.

You don't know what a Tigrex is, either, but your average Tigrex is worth a watch, too. Maybe, "Tigrex demolishes screaming newbie on a mountain."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well I think it is a safe bet that MH:W will be a fine feather in Capcom's hat for next year. The number of people who seem excited for this, but are not old time fans seems pretty high to me. At least based on how my friends feel and the general impression I'm getting from the internet at large.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

No it's mostly just the difference between a rookie and a veteran. The first hunt was a sub 3 minute hunt from start to finish including tracking for me. Endgame setups in some mh games basically involve monsters being stun/trap/status locked from start to finish.

It truly is a game about how we slowly evolve from being monster hunters into becoming monster(ous) hunters.

Elder dragon fights are always kind of a slog though because they're phased fights. But they're also kinda epic in that way and not particularly hard usually. Those things I tend to do in a group farming it to speed things up.

Dracil on
  • Options
    So far my leading weapons are dual blades and lance. I used to be a GS user, the clunky weapons fit the clunky controls, but now I want something aggressive and active.

I like DS for the spin in, and Lance for thr charge. Trying to keep 100% uptime on the monster is a rush.

Any other weapons with similar playstyles worth trying before the beta ends?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So far my leading weapons are dual blades and lance. I used to be a GS user, the clunky weapons fit the clunky controls, but now I want something aggressive and active.

I like DS for the spin in, and Lance for thr charge. Trying to keep 100% uptime on the monster is a rush.

Any other weapons with similar playstyles worth trying before the beta ends?
    The correct answer is TRY ALL THE WEAPONS!!! :D SnS and Longsword are fairly aggressive, although that may just be my playing style. If you are doing Insect Glaive right, it's also really aggressive.

8i1dt37buh2m.png