Options

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I love Lance charge so much. Faster than everything when chasing the monster

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Lance is real good

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Gunlance is as awesome as I remember it being.

Also is the Switchaxe just super good, or is ice just really good against the monsters in the beta? Cause I killed the Jagras in 3 minutes with it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    That's likely around par for properly murdering it. That poor Jagras.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Are any weapons particularly good at staggering/tripping the monster? I guess not really because it's just a function of damage? I know my friend is going to main hammer to setting up monster trips into head wailing KOs into more deeps seems like a blast.

• Options
    Hammer should really always be aiming head anyways

sns and ds come to mind as good trippers

staggering/tripping is a purely DPS check, each part has stagger limits and when crossed, the monsters strips/flinches

people do enough math to get it so every lvl 3 GS charge with crit draw on monsters head will flinch, meaning you get to line up your next lvl 3 gs charge on head

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Oh yeah he'll always be chasing the head, I just figure the head is easier to hit if I'm tripping/mounting/paralyzing/etc the monster.

And then when he KOs it I can do more damage.

A glorious circle of death.

Edit: Wait the beta already ended it's only 10 hours into 12/12 here booooooooooo

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    monsters used to take more damage when paralyzed too

the poison and para knives you get in the demo.. in previous games these were surprisingly rare and can only be made from in mission items; you cant make a loadout to always have em

wonder since slinger is so effective now if they will change that economy

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    That's the reason multi-person hunts are usually pretty easymode. People have sleep/paralyze weapons which let people wail on monsters,which staggers/trips them, which gives enough time to sleep/paralyze again and then the monster dies. If people know what theyre doing the monster won't even move. But with people who don't know what they're doing it can kind of be a cluster of death.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    That's the reason multi-person hunts are usually pretty easymode. People have sleep/paralyze weapons which let people wail on monsters,which staggers/trips them, which gives enough time to sleep/paralyze again and then the monster dies. If people know what theyre doing the monster won't even move. But with people who don't know what they're doing it can kind of be a cluster of death.

Though I only ever played Tri / 3U, this is the reason why I tended to shy away from 4-player hunts. Mashing out my high-damage combo for five minutes while the monster writhes on the ground might be cathartic, but it's not exactly compelling gameplay.

• Options
    Yeah, its mostly just useful when you need to gather a bunch of a specific monster part to quickly kill something. Its usually when i try out other weapon types too, because I can play a little less than optimal and still do fine. But like I'll never take the weapon im best with into a 4 person hunt unless it's against something actually hard, because it's just overkill.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Yeah I like 2-player for multiplayer if I want a challenge. Plus then you get to show off your effective Palico builds.

Though I guess that's no longer really a thing in this version. Just weapon, armor, and one skill.

Dracil on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I played a bunch of gunlance yesterday and I noticed that if I tried to turtle too much, Anjanath would always go for a grab, which ignores the shield. Not sure if coincidence but that's a pretty neat new behavior that I hadn't seen before.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, its mostly just useful when you need to gather a bunch of a specific monster part to quickly kill something. Its usually when i try out other weapon types too, because I can play a little less than optimal and still do fine. But like I'll never take the weapon im best with into a 4 person hunt unless it's against something actually hard, because it's just overkill.

Is this really a thing? I actually haven't played online that much with random people. Seems like it would boil the game down to almost nothing. I can't imagine its effective on all monsters either way.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Is this really a thing? I actually haven't played online that much with random people. Seems like it would boil the game down to almost nothing. I can't imagine its effective on all monsters either way.
    4 veteran hunters (or even just 2 veteran hunters and 2 newbies) make mincemeat out of 90% of monster encounters. This has always been true throughout all of Monster Hunter (even in G-rank, although the risk of death and triple carting is a lot higher at that range). Some of the ultra-hard content in the past couple of games is designed to off-set that somewhat, like the Deviants in Generations, but yeah... a full party is a force to be reckoned with, and a lot of monsters just don't have much of a chance.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    That just means you can chew through things faster to get your Rathalos plates to finish your armor set or weapon.

I mean, it actually means the other 3 guys will get heaps of them and you still won't get any, but at least you are helping your comrades out!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Well now that I think of it any time I've played with a full group it was like that yeah. I usually play solo or with one other person so I hadn't thought about it much.

It is abit of a shame though. A scaling option where any monster is made really tough for even 4 vet players would be fun.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I wonder if charm runs will be a thing again this time. Have they confirmed armor slots?

Oh, one criticism I have about the beta is that Rocksteady Mantle + Health Booster = effectively invulnerable for a few minutes. This is great when gunning since you just park yourself at the health booster. But makes every other combination seem so much worse.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Man no wonder I wasn't able to take down Diablos in the beta, I am a bad gunlancer - just now learned about full burst and other moves / weapon properties. Bah! I've been playing the same few weapons too long, I'm going to branch out and learn about all of them fully.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Don't worry too much about "4 players makes the game trivial", the game up until now has always been separated into singleplayer and multiplayer missions, a lot of things are usually locked behind the singleplayer as well, so you will still have to get good to beat crazy missions like kill 5 different difficult monsters in the 50 minute limit.

It still takes good coordination between players to defeat certain monsters as well, even when playing with the PA bros here, monsters like the Furious Rajang and the Savage Deviljho required us to stay focused to not all wipe out.

Here's a nice example of coordinated play on MHW, they give the monsters a beating but still required communication and coordination between themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFw3voKHxwE

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Oh I'm not concerned about it, I just never really thought about it before.

In a way I'm glad there is abit of time until MHW hits so I can go back and finish up stuff on the 3DS games. I'm at the final 3 9* quests in 3U. Wish me luck on those... D:

Oh! I've never tried prowler mode either. I should do that!

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    One of my favorite things about monhun is that the skill ceiling has so much breadth to it. Hard enough to be rewarding but easy enough that if you're not able to paint murals atop a ladder, you can at least help move the ladder around or build a paint cannon with some like-minded lunatics. Three cheers for the mix of jolly cooperation and arena fighting.

Ah, good times. I'm glad this is looking good.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Good god.

I didn't realize that the new longsword foresight slash is a counter move.

I thought it just let you leap back and attack in, which is cool.

But if you get hit during it you block, and then the rush in attack will instantly give you FULL gauge and tapping R2 after will put you directly into the spirit roundslash to level up your gauge.

And now I am back to being undecided on weapons.

• Options
    yeah LS has brave style counters built in

its like they took all the best from the styles systems and arts

and made every weapon godlike

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Im sure the catch will be that the hard monsters will be brutal.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Yeah so.

https://i.imgur.com/fMZFep5.gif

maining lance.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Im sure the catch will be that the hard monsters will be brutal.

Excellent, bring it on!!!

Also me and a friend jumped back into MHGen and had some fun hunts last night. I must admit, going back to the 3DS does feel like a step back, which is a great thing IMO. It means MHW really is the leap forward for the series it felt like playing the beta. That said we had a blast and it's great coming back to it.

• Options
    I'm not sure i would be able to go back to a thumb pad after playing with two actual joysticks that i dont need an extension to a console to use. I've always hated the thumb pad though, which I think is why i hated the newer pokemon too, you can't use the dpad to move.

I've basically just been playing Horizon to get my MH fix for the moment. Two joysticks is the light, also there's that Aloy costume anyway so that's cool I guess.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The 3ds games were a step back when they were released. MHW is the first time in a long time where Capcom gave the series what it deserved in the west.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Yeah so.

https://i.imgur.com/fMZFep5.gif

maining lance.

We had a cat that would do this up and down two screens on our porch.

We named him Tony Hawk.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The 3ds games were not a step back.

They were a logical progression for a game series that seemed to be more and more focused on local play in the home territory.

It may still hurt them in Japan..we will have to see.

I will very much miss being able to meet my friend for a beer and a few hunts at the local pizza joint after work.

That being said it's still a great game and I loved every minute of playing the demo.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm with Entaru on this, the portable versions were not a step back in any way. They are fantastic games and I will still play them along side MHW because they have a different feel to them and different monsters.

As far as dual joysticks vs 3ds, I don't care. I'd figure out how to play MH on a guitar hero controller if that's the only option.

However I'm also a big enough 3ds fan that I've bought 3 versions of it and have a big backlog I'm chopping through on the system.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    If only there was something on the market that gave both people who prefer a home console and people who like portability something to enjoy in one unit. That would have been perfect for Monster Hunter.
    I mean, I have a PS4 anyway and the beta was loads of fun. So whatever.

I'd still buy a Switch version too if they ever made one.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to playing this on a system that doesn't destroy my hands, with a decent frame rate, and a resolution higher than an old sd tv broadcast.

• Options
    There's a pretty deep divide on who enjoyed the 3DS versions and who didn't. There are a lot of valid reasons for both.

But some of us really enjoyed those games.

• Options
    give me all the mon hun, whereever it may be

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Give me hun that won't destroy my hands kth- OH WAIT HERE IT IS OH MY GOSH GLEE

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Everyone complains about the 3DS destroying their hands but I guess I'm lucky, doesn't bother me at all.

Sadly what has started to is playing fast paced games with KBAM. Years of PC gaming have been unkind to my wrists.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    At this point in my life I have more brand loyalty to Monster Hunter than I do to any console.

It's sort of my forever game.

• Options
    I wasn't trying to say that the 3ds monster hunters are bad games, but that the 3ds absolutely is holding those games back. It's very refreshing to have a proper console release of a monster hunter game.