As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm not sure what a "good" kill time is for any monsters, but my best are usually 15-20? Something like that? Maybe I'm not CBing hard enough! :)

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm not sure what a "good" kill time is for any monsters, but my best are usually 15-20? Something like that? Maybe I'm not CBing hard enough! :)

That's a normal kill time, people who have those sub 2's are not a normal person.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    FawstDarkewolfe
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL6QoDXwqLU

I had fought this Tobi all across the entire center and NE quadrant of the map while both of us ran from Rathian until Anja decided to crash the party lol what is this?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    BubsQanamildurandal4532
  • BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »

That's a normal kill time, people who have those sub 2's are not a normal person.

The only time I have that's significantly lower than that was when Pink Anjanath somehow got stuck in a vine trap forever. Just couldn't get out. So I was alternating between demon mode and archdemon mode laying waste to his face.

That wasn't fun though.

Bubs on
    PSN: thewheelz
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    PreacherBeezelBrodyMagic PinkAegisFawstLord_AsmodeusArchCarpyForever ZefiroEvil MultifariousBasilArmoroc
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    So if I’m understanding the weapon upgrade paths correctly, at low rank, there is no point where the elemental weapons do more damage than the basic raw versions because of the way upgrades are gated by a specific type of bone. Correct y/n?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Really, the Palicos are the most badass hunters. They are less than half your size, but they take a lickin' and keep on kickin'. That Palico? Survived a point blank Supernova. Probably wasn't even looking at the explosion.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Dr. ChaosElkiBasil
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Spaffy wrote: »
    So if I’m understanding the weapon upgrade paths correctly, at low rank, there is no point where the elemental weapons do more damage than the basic raw versions because of the way upgrades are gated by a specific type of bone. Correct y/n?

pretty much true throughout the game. elemental blademaster weapons have always been a trap outside of SnS and DBs, and even then you're mostly just breaking even unless it's a perfect situation.

rapid fire elemental bowguns used to be good, but lol bowguns that don't shoot slicing in mhw.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Elemental Weapons are there to look cool. Otherwise, Raw is King.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »

pretty much true throughout the game. elemental blademaster weapons have always been a trap outside of SnS and DBs, and even then you're mostly just breaking even unless it's a perfect situation.

rapid fire elemental bowguns used to be good, but lol bowguns that don't shoot slicing in mhw.
    I think Bows are one weapon in Low Rank with an upgrade path that requires you to grab an Element, since the raw-only Bows are lackluster and don't do more damage. The one path that does, the Bone bow, doesn't have Power Coatings. In particular, the Tobi Kadachi bow gives you a LOT of bang for your buck, given how many monsters have some weakness to Thunder. For Raw bows, the Diablos Bow is decent despite its negative Affinity, but by that point, you are one quest away from High Rank anyway, so why bother?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    PolaritieRenzoFawstSwashbucklerXXFiskebentJustTeeDracilLord_AsmodeusTNTrooperWolveSightfirewaterwordDarkewolfeTrojan35ElkiHermanoEvil MultifariousGenji-Gloves
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Why are elemental weaknesses even in the game if, for most weapons, raw is always the better choice? Why bother giving Tzitzi Ya-Ku lightning and ice vulnerability if I would be better served by using a non-elemental weapon?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Why are elemental weaknesses even in the game if, for most weapons, raw is always the better choice? Why bother giving Tzitzi Ya-Ku lightning and ice vulnerability if I would be better served by using a non-elemental weapon?

Well, there are weapons where element wins out, or can win out with armor skills. SnS and DB basically always. Lance. IG to a degree, etc. LBG and Bow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Fashion hunter, don't care if my ele weapons aren't doing maximal at times. Have you seen how gorgeous a leg sns is?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Hahnsoo1destroyah87FuriousJodoadmanbBrodyDarkewolfeElki
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

elemental sns and DS almost always out DPS raw, and the same can be said for LS, CB, Swagaxe etc etc

its just how consistently you can hit the elemental weakspots

J3qcnBP.png
    I mean, in some of the games, elemental shots from bowguns absolutely WRECKED monsters if you matched weaknesses. Portable 3rd had stackable Element Up + (Specific) Element Up, and this combined with Rapid Fire made Elemental Light Bowguns way overpowered.

But overall, it's a mystery, and one that is obfuscated by combat mechanics that have only changed minimally between iterations of the game. Very likely, part of the design is to ensure that if you bring the "wrong" weapon, you still can complete the fight (just slower). Kind of like how every level in Dishonored allows you to complete it with zero powers or abilities with just the default toolkit. I did notice that there are few standout weapons with excessively high Raw damage that completely outshine their elemental counterparts, so the divide is not nearly as bad as in previous iterations of the game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    destroyah87
    And to follow up on yesterday. Yes the elderseal really does help you fight the three elder dragons. I never noticed it before solo because I fought them with the nergy weapon so the aura never got up. But doing it in multi? Holy shit Vaal is a nightmare if he has that aura up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    fRAWRst
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

elemental sns and DS almost always out DPS raw, and the same can be said for LS, CB, Swagaxe etc etc

its just how consistently you can hit the elemental weakspots

Ok, that's good to know. I'll continue to build and use elemental weapons and target weak spots.

Preacher
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Beezel wrote: »

I had fought this Tobi all across the entire center and NE quadrant of the map while both of us ran from Rathian until Anja decided to crash the party lol what is this?
    You can climb those mushroom things on the trees?!!

After character creation, I told the people I was partied with that I loved my palico and would die for him.

This is why.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    As someone totally new to the series and somewhat overwhelmed, I could use some advice. I've browsed the thread a bit but there's a lot to get through, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything.

I've just gotten into my first high rank stuff and the alpha and beta armor sets have shown up in my crafting list. I still have some story-esque quests to do but for the most part I assume I'm in the endgame. I'm going back and finishing all of the optional quests I skipped up to this point.

I've been using the Great Sword, Dual Blades, and Bow, but I haven't really settled on any specific weapon type yet. The main reason for this is that I have no idea what to try and shoot for in the upgrade trees as a good weapon for where I am at in the game, and I get overwhelmed trying to narrow in on any particular ingredients. Same with armor - I've gone for aesthetics and fun with the low rank Odogaron set, but I have no idea what I should be setting up for now. Guides are either scarce or littered with abbreviations I don't immediately recognize.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I am now at the point in the game where fashion hunter rules all. I have a solid blast set that I use when I don't feel like messing around, but now, it's all about looking good!

I need to decide on an outfit for me and Chester that we will showcase on our guild card. Skills be damned. I need to look dope af.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    I like the spectral bride thing my kitty is rocking.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Hahnsoo1
    Glued the pukei pukei helmet to my palico's face.

He's never getting to take that thing off.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My Palico is a robot for the foreseeable future - that searchlight face is just too good.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    destroyah87Hahnsoo1Corporal CarlFawstHermano
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    How much do positive and negative resistance numbers affect the damage you take? I've been farming Legiana, Tobi-Kadachi and Kirin for the last few days, and you think I might've realized that with all of my Odoragon gear I have like, -6 against Thunder and Ice damage.

I didn't though.

But now my full upgraded set is finished! 3 pieces of Odoragon gear (might up that to 4 with the Coil for Odoragon Mastery) a High Metal Alpha armor set for the rank 2 earplugs (and because I think it looks cool) and a stylish Girros Coil with a Divine Protection charm.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    My Palico is a robot for the foreseeable future - that searchlight face is just too good.
    The custom palico voice for it is pretty great too.

FuriousJodoMagic Pink
    edited February 2018
    Croaker wrote: »
    As someone totally new to the series and somewhat overwhelmed, I could use some advice. I've browsed the thread a bit but there's a lot to get through, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything.

I've just gotten into my first high rank stuff and the alpha and beta armor sets have shown up in my crafting list. I still have some story-esque quests to do but for the most part I assume I'm in the endgame. I'm going back and finishing all of the optional quests I skipped up to this point.

I've been using the Great Sword, Dual Blades, and Bow, but I haven't really settled on any specific weapon type yet. The main reason for this is that I have no idea what to try and shoot for in the upgrade trees as a good weapon for where I am at in the game, and I get overwhelmed trying to narrow in on any particular ingredients. Same with armor - I've gone for aesthetics and fun with the low rank Odogaron set, but I have no idea what I should be setting up for now. Guides are either scarce or littered with abbreviations I don't immediately recognize.
    The endgame is after you beat High Rank. You'll know it when you see it, because of the extremely long unskippable credits sequence. :-P

For Dual Blades, you'll want to make everything. Like, everything. You'll want a Dual Blade for each main Element. Thunder, Fire, Ice, Water, Dragon. If you don't want to farm out and make everything, that's fine, too, but you'll want to match elements as often as you can. Alternatively, make a decent set of Blast Dual Blades and just use those a lot.

For Bows, I've been using the Tobi Kadachi bow, and it's served me well all the way up to Nergigante. It's Thunder, has decent stats, and easy to build assuming you can kill Tobi Kadachi easily (note: I used a Long Sword to kill him, rather than a Bow. If you do bring a Bow, bring a different element. It's a bad idea to bring a Thunder bow to a Thunder immune monster). Alternatively, you can go for the Kulu Ya Ku or the Pukei Pukei bow combined with an armor piece that gives you Free Element and enjoy the explosions from your unlocked Blast damage. (Both the Kulu Ya Ku and Pukei Pukei high rank bow lines have a hidden element that can only be unlocked using the Free Element skill. You can get Free Element from the Zorah Magdaros gloves, which you should have JUST defeated).

No clue what to tell you about Great Swords, other than go for the highest Raw damage possible.

After you beat Nergigante, you will want to farm him a bit and get his weapons, since they have excellent stats all around and will carry you to the endgame pretty easily, with High Elderseal, Dragon element, and high raw/sharpness bar.

For armor, in High Rank, you'll want to hone in on the skills that you find useful, and skills that give you bigger attack bonuses. The High Rank Odogaron set is pretty decent for Dual Blades (because the set bonus allows you to keep your sharpness for one whole minute after sharpening your weapon). You only need 4 pieces to unlock the set bonus.

For EARLY High Rank armor, you could do worse than the Kulu Ya Ku Alpha armor pieces. I'd swap the Waist for something with actual useful skills, but the rest of it gives you some levels of Critical Eye and one point of Weakness Exploit.

From my perspective, this game in particular gives you a big incentive to experiment and wear a mismatched set of armor with awesome skills in High Rank. I looked like a Hobo, but I had some insane combination of Weakness Exploit 3, Attack 7, Crit Draw 3 by the end of the campaign.

EDIT: One thing that you can do right now, now that you've JUST reached High Rank, is farm out Zorah Magdaros. He's a relatively trivial fight (although it takes a while to get your bearings when you first do it), and can be beaten with pretty much any gear set or weapon because you mostly deal damage with Cannons and the Dragonator. He often shows up in SOS Requests, so troll through there to join other people's Zorah Magdaros quests to get your farm on. Most of his weapons are fairly decent High Rank starter weapons. I used the Long Sword all the way up until Nergigante, and the Blast element + decent Raw helped my kill times a lot.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Croaker
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    How much do positive and negative resistance numbers affect the damage you take? I've been farming Legiana, Tobi-Kadachi and Kirin for the last few days, and you think I might've realized that with all of my Odoragon gear I have like, -6 against Thunder and Ice damage.

The resistances are percentages. -6 thunder resistance means you take 6% more thunder damage. The real value in them is that high resistances also make you immune to elemental blights like being set on fire.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    Hahnsoo1Satsumomo
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

You can climb those mushroom things on the trees?!!

You can launch off any shelf fungus and certain rock walls in lieu of a slope. It's super handy!

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Iron WeaselDr. ChaosHahnsoo1Le_Goat
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

1. If you just got to high rank you're not really in endgame yet. You're... about 1/4 or 1/3 through.
    2. Great Sword just go for raw. DB elemental/status can be good. Status is probably more useful for multiplayer/general all-round IMO. Armor, you want high rank armor ASAP. Start with alpha until you have good decorations then start using some beta pieces. Press R3 to search by skills. Look for skills that complement your weapon/playstyle. If in doubt, more defensive skills is pretty good because carting is the #1 reason for quest failures.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Croaker
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Also: I keep managing to mount monsters, but then I'm poking them for 1 damage every time, whether I'm hitting the head, back or tail. Finishers are better (if I can get there), but in terms of DPS I'm better off staying on the ground. How do register some real mounting damage?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited February 2018

1. If you just got to high rank you're not really in endgame yet. You're... about 1/4 or 1/3 through.
    2. Great Sword just go for raw. DB elemental/status can be good. Status is probably more useful for multiplayer/general all-round IMO. Armor, you want high rank armor ASAP. Start with alpha until you have good decorations then start using some beta pieces. Press R3 to search by skills. Look for skills that complement your weapon/playstyle. If in doubt, more defensive skills is pretty good because carting is the #1 reason for quest failures.

I didn't though.

But now my full upgraded set is finished! 3 pieces of Odoragon gear (might up that to 4 with the Coil for Odoragon Mastery) a High Metal Alpha armor set for the rank 2 earplugs (and because I think it looks cool) and a stylish Girros Coil with a Divine Protection charm.

Resistances are basically %. +10 Resist = take 10% less damage. -10 Resist = take 10% extra damage. I believe at +10/-10 you also gain a bonus/penalty vs the associated blights too. So generally you *really* want to avoid -10, and +10 can make certain monsters a lot easier.

Dracil on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

The resistances are percentages. -6 thunder resistance means you take 6% more thunder damage. The real value in them is that high resistances also make you immune to elemental blights like being set on fire.

Thanks, that's not too bad then. I might grab that skull helmet with all negative resistances, though I really like my odoragon facemask

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Also: I keep managing to mount monsters, but then I'm poking them for 1 damage every time, whether I'm hitting the head, back or tail. Finishers are better (if I can get there), but in terms of DPS I'm better off staying on the ground. How do register some real mounting damage?

Do your finisher and knock them on the ground. When they're flailing helplessly is when you really lay your damage on them.

Qanamil on
    Hahnsoo1PolaritieTamerBillLe_GoatIron WeaselDarkewolfe
    edited February 2018

You poke them for one damage until you "break" them and then you can get the super hit. But its worth it to mount a monster just for targetted damage and the stun you inflict when you finish it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    destroyah87Le_GoatIron Weasel
    edited February 2018
    @Iron Weasel The point of mounting is mostly just building up to the big finishing attack and the free knockdown with the stabbings.

Can't really do much more than one damage with the dagger. Its not really meant to.

Dr. Chaos on
    Hahnsoo1destroyah87Iron Weasel
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    You can do more damage by moving around on the monster, as those swipes deal more damage, but that costs more stamina. It's also worthwhile to just target the tail of anything that has a severable one, because that definitely helps to speed up severing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Hahnsoo1
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm.going to be 100% honest.

Most of the weapon crafting and theory stuff on damage numbers is not really nescisary. The difference is usually only a few minutes off the clock in most cases.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    DracilVyolynceArchSatsumomoDarkewolfe21stCenturyBasil
    edited February 2018
    I say for most people, survivability is probably more important. More slots, more decorations, more skills. Health boost, stun resistance, evasion. Carting is the biggest DPS dropper and also the biggest reason for quest fails.

Like I'm a vet, but usually most of my end-game armor is all about having positive resistances for my general armor set and evasion/guard. Rath sets are usually fire resistance and poison immunity, etc. The less time you spend sheathing/getting rid of status effect, the more DPS you will end up doing.

Dracil on
    PreacherSeidkonaDarkewolfe
    Dracil wrote: »
    I say for most people, survivability is probably more important. More slots, more decorations, more skills. Health boost, stun resistance, evasion. Carting is the biggest DPS dropper and also the biggest reason for quest fails.

Like I'm a vet, but usually most of my end-game armor is all about having positive resistances for my general armor set and evasion/guard. Rath sets are usually fire resistance and poison immunity, etc.

Yeah as always the dps of dead is 0. In most of my SOS fails its clearly lack of armor/ability to dodge that causes the carts. Sadly most of the time I see a lance user of either variety I know they are probably going to get carted.

pleasepaypreacher.net