As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Teostra carted me twice, but Val Hazaak only got me the one time. When I take him on again it ain't even gonna be the one time, because now I got his pants with their Effluvial Resistance. Once I get the waistpiece and he can't hit me with the effluvial curse he gonna be a joke

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Thanks very much for the tips. I'll work on some Zorah weapons and go from there. I think it's probably time to settle on one "main" weapon set, but I've been enjoying literally every one I've tried so far.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    @Iron Weasel The point of mounting is mostly just building up to the big finishing attack and the free knockdown with the stabbings.

Can't really do much more than one damage with the dagger. Its not really meant to.

Insect glaive can do real damage with moving around while mounting, but it eats sharpness fast. Otherwise the main advantage is setting up a knockdown and the monster being relatively passive for party members while you're on it so they can heal/sharpen/attack.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    JustTee
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD! I HAVE SOMETHING NEW?

You can use the Switch Axe's T+C attack (Axe form) to launch your teamates up to a flying monster to do an attack that can mount them!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    FiskebentMagic PinkMx. QuillFawst
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

You can use the Switch Axe's T+C attack (Axe form) to launch your teamates up to a flying monster to do an attack that can mount them!

Yes, launching teammates into mounting attacks was in 4.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Hahnsoo1Vyolynce
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's fun but at times I feel they don't respect me in the morning...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I have a Zorah Magdaros procedure that I follow, and I wonder if there's a way to improve the damage/kill times on this?
    1) Grab the items from the box at camp and then hitch a ride on a pterodactyl to the boss.
    2) Run straight forward and grab some stones, then head to the Magma Core right in front of me.
    3) Kill the Magma Core*. Grab the shiny.
    4) Turn right 90 degrees and run toward his butt. Mine the Mining point at the peak.
    5) Jump down, then turn around. Magma Core below in a cave (Kill and Shiny) and a Mining point.
    6) Run out of the cave and straight toward the very back for another Mining point.
    7) Turn around and run along the left side. There's a mini-Magma Core on the left side you can destroy (no shiny) and a Stalactite you can explode with a slinger stone at this point (big stalactite on the wall with bombs strapped to it and ribbons).
    8) Climb up the back. Long climb. There are some Mining points along the way.
    9) At the very peak, hit up any Mining points, and look up. There are two Stalactites with ribbons (and bombs). Hit both with stones for more damage.
    10) Jump into the hole. 3rd Magma Core. If you can destroy it, grab the shinies. If you have time, Mining point.
    11) At some point, Nergigante shows up. Ignore him.
    12) Zorah gets up on his hind legs. Landscape shifts. Mining point that is now accessible.
    13) Head to the front for another mining point.
    14) Remainder of the combat is destroying any leftover Magma Cores.

Final Confrontation
    15) Load up the cannon with 5 balls (balls behind you to the left) and fire. Repeat.
    16) Head right to the close cannon and Repeat. 5 balls, fire, 5 balls fire.
    17) Run ALL the way to the left. Activate the manned cannon on your way to the jump point.**
    18) Jump down, use the Dragonator.
    19) Go to the cannons on the boat. There is a prompt on the side of the cannon that lets you push the cannon to aim it. Aim all three cannons at Zorah (usually pushing them 1-3 times to the right).
    20) Keep loading 5 balls and firing the cannons. You have two helpers loading cannon balls, so your DPS is a LOT higher on the boat.***
    21) You should repel him at around the 13-15 minute mark. At around 15 minutes, he charges up a super cannon. If this happens, run to the Ballista near the Dragonator and grab the One-Shot Binder and use that on him. That will prevent him from using the super cannon. But at this point, I get 13 minute repels, and this never happens to me.

* Note: When the fire cracks appear, there will be one side that doesn't have a fire crack. That's the side that doesn't explode.
    ** Why don't those idiots fire their own cannons?
    *** Heavy Artillery 2 armor skills shaves about 1 minute off the final confrontation, so I typically bring that.

Am I missing something? I haven't read any guides, so this is what I've stumbled upon on my own. I don't know if there are Dragon bombs or something that I've missed.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Magic PinkJustTee

Hammers and Great Swords can also do this.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    vagrant_winds
    Croaker wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the tips. I'll work on some Zorah weapons and go from there. I think it's probably time to settle on one "main" weapon set, but I've been enjoying literally every one I've tried so far.
    Actually, I'd still stick with multiple weapons. At the very least, go for one Ranged option and one Melee option (I used Bow and Long Sword for most of my HR leveling). Some monsters are much easier with Ranged than Melee, and vice versa. And don't worry about progressing really fast, either... enjoy the journey, stop and smell the roses, build everything.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Croaker
    edited February 2018
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I have a Zorah Magdaros procedure that I follow, and I wonder if there's a way to improve the damage/kill times on this?
    1) Grab the items from the box at camp and then hitch a ride on a pterodactyl to the boss.
    2) Run straight forward and grab some stones, then head to the Magma Core right in front of me.
    4) Turn right 90 degrees and run toward his butt. Mine the Mining point at the peak.
    5) Jump down, then turn around. Magma Core below in a cave (Kill and Shiny) and a Mining point.
    6) Run out of the cave and straight toward the very back for another Mining point.
    7) Turn around and run along the left side. There's a mini-Magma Core on the left side you can destroy (no shiny) and a Stalactite you can explode with a slinger stone at this point (big stalactite on the wall with bombs strapped to it and ribbons).
    9) At the very peak, hit up any Mining points, and look up. There are two Stalactites with ribbons (and bombs). Hit both with stones for more damage.
    10) Jump into the hole. 3rd Magma Core. If you can destroy it, grab the shinies. If you have time, Mining point.
    12) Zorah gets up on his hind legs. Landscape shifts. Mining point that is now accessible.

Final Confrontation
    15) Load up the cannon with 5 balls (balls behind you to the left) and fire. Repeat.
    17) Run ALL the way to the left. Activate the manned cannon on your way to the jump point.**
    19) Go to the cannons on the boat. There is a prompt on the side of the cannon that lets you push the cannon to aim it. Aim all three cannons at Zorah (usually pushing them 1-3 times to the right).
    20) Keep loading 5 balls and firing the cannons. You have two helpers loading cannon balls, so your DPS is a LOT higher on the boat.***
    21) You should repel him at around the 13-15 minute mark. At around 15 minutes, he charges up a super cannon. If this happens, run to the Ballista near the Dragonator and grab the One-Shot Binder and use that on him. That will prevent him from using the super cannon. But at this point, I get 13 minute repels, and this never happens to me.

* Note: When the fire cracks appear, there will be one side that doesn't have a fire crack. That's the side that doesn't explode.
    *** Heavy Artillery 2 armor skills shaves about 1 minute off the final confrontation, so I typically bring that.

Am I missing something? I haven't read any guides, so this is what I've stumbled upon on my own. I don't know if there are Dragon bombs or something that I've missed.

That's about the extent of that fight yep.

You can also sos it to make it go even faster.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

Final Confrontation

Every time I've SOS'ed it, it hasn't been remarkably faster. Like, I'm getting similar times, or maybe it shaves less than a minute, since there's no way to make the dude walk faster in the beginning.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

Final Confrontation

Every time I've SOS'ed it, it hasn't been remarkably faster. Like, I'm getting similar times, or maybe it shaves less than a minute, since there's no way to make the dude walk faster in the beginning.

Yeah I was thinking mainly for the end part, though I guess the increased hps can make that part take as much time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    When you drop the Stalactites on ZM it makes 5 Zorah Materials drop at the point of impact, right? I feel like I've had that happen a few times

dN0T6ur.png

Final Confrontation

Yeah I was thinking mainly for the end part, though I guess the increased hps can make that part take as much time.
    Might be easier to get Shinies (and thus, more chances at a Gem), since in theory, a coordinated group can just slaughter the Magma Cores. Apparently, doing a bit of reading, there are two lava rocks that I've missed on my way up for more bonus reward chances.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Croaker wrote: »
    As someone totally new to the series and somewhat overwhelmed, I could use some advice. I've browsed the thread a bit but there's a lot to get through, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything.

I've just gotten into my first high rank stuff and the alpha and beta armor sets have shown up in my crafting list. I still have some story-esque quests to do but for the most part I assume I'm in the endgame. I'm going back and finishing all of the optional quests I skipped up to this point.

I've been using the Great Sword, Dual Blades, and Bow, but I haven't really settled on any specific weapon type yet. The main reason for this is that I have no idea what to try and shoot for in the upgrade trees as a good weapon for where I am at in the game, and I get overwhelmed trying to narrow in on any particular ingredients. Same with armor - I've gone for aesthetics and fun with the low rank Odogaron set, but I have no idea what I should be setting up for now. Guides are either scarce or littered with abbreviations I don't immediately recognize.

I'm new too, but here's what I've been doing after receiving advice from vets.

Dual blades really clicked for me, so I've crafted everything I can. Even if I have two sets of a particular element at 5 rarity, sometimes the next upgrade for one is a lot easier to farm than the other. Plus you can always roll back upgrades to get your materials back.

When I go out on expeditions, I take my blast set. They seem like they do the best damage, and they work on everything pretty much. That keeps me from having to swap around too much and lose time. If you take too long the monster you're after might leave before you can murder it.

For armor, I just look at raw defense, do a lot of investigations for armor spheres, and wear whatever gives me the best damage reduction. Once I get through the campaign I'll start worrying about optimizing my gear.

And finally, swap gems between weapons when you switch. Good ones are scarce in the mid game

PSN: thewheelz
    fRAWRstCroaker
    Wyborn wrote: »
    When you drop the Stalactites on ZM it makes 5 Zorah Materials drop at the point of impact, right? I feel like I've had that happen a few times
    Huh. Maybe. I've not checked! That could be something I'm missing.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Dracil wrote: »
    I say for most people, survivability is probably more important. More slots, more decorations, more skills. Health boost, stun resistance, evasion. Carting is the biggest DPS dropper and also the biggest reason for quest fails.

Like I'm a vet, but usually most of my end-game armor is all about having positive resistances for my general armor set and evasion/guard. Rath sets are usually fire resistance and poison immunity, etc.

Yeah as always the dps of dead is 0. In most of my SOS fails its clearly lack of armor/ability to dodge that causes the carts. Sadly most of the time I see a lance user of either variety I know they are probably going to get carted.

Hah, that's probably because for the most part we're practically invincible. But if we screw up that once, we tend to get comboed because of the playstyle. Sheathing to heal/status is the biggest reason for lance carting. It's why I love my
    Health Regen augment

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Seidkona
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Final Confrontation

What's a good way to destroy the magma cores? I keep getting exploded and it takes forever.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I say for most people, survivability is probably more important. More slots, more decorations, more skills. Health boost, stun resistance, evasion. Carting is the biggest DPS dropper and also the biggest reason for quest fails.

Like I'm a vet, but usually most of my end-game armor is all about having positive resistances for my general armor set and evasion/guard. Rath sets are usually fire resistance and poison immunity, etc.

Yeah as always the dps of dead is 0. In most of my SOS fails its clearly lack of armor/ability to dodge that causes the carts. Sadly most of the time I see a lance user of either variety I know they are probably going to get carted.

Hah, that's probably because for the most part we're practically invincible. But if we screw up that once, we tend to get comboed because of the playstyle. Sheathing to heal/status is the biggest reason for lance carting. It's why I love my
    Health Regen augment

With a good guard often times I will choose to stay in the pocket with less health then try to stop and heal.

I am much safer with my shield up and a 10th of my health than I am with my shield down drinking a pot.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Final Confrontation

What's a good way to destroy the magma cores? I keep getting exploded and it takes forever.
    If you look carefully at the Magma Core just before it explodes, there is a side where fire cracks do not appear, and that's the safe spot. So when the fire cracks appear, roll to the side without the crack. This is difficult to see, at times, and the window to escape is small. More mobile weapons are okay, but the slower ones with long combos may just be screwed.

You can also just 1) Run away when you see the fire cracks 2) Use a bow/bowgun and shoot just outside of explosion range.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

Final Confrontation

If you look carefully at the Magma Core just before it explodes, there is a side where fire cracks do not appear, and that's the safe spot. So when the fire cracks appear, roll to the side without the crack. This is difficult to see, at times, and the window to escape is small. More mobile weapons are okay, but the slower ones with long combos may just be screwed.

You can also just 1) Run away when you see the fire cracks 2) Use a bow/bowgun and shoot just outside of explosion range.

Yeah, I mainly was wondering what weapon to use. I can see the blast coming easily but I keep either getting stuck in an animation or I'm not doing enough damage. But bow/gun seems the way to go for sure.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

Final Confrontation

It's worth noting there is this version of the fire, and then a longer wind-up one that explodes everywhere around the core.

furlion

Final Confrontation

Yeah, I mainly was wondering what weapon to use. I can see the blast coming easily but I keep either getting stuck in an animation or I'm not doing enough damage. But bow/gun seems the way to go for sure.
    I use a Long Sword because that's my strongest Melee weapon, but I think it's sub-optimal for this purpose. I sometimes am able to Fade Slash and dance around the core in time, but most of the time, either I have an opening to roll in the right direction or I'm stuck in a combo and eat a hit, and the latter happens more often than I care to admit.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Magic Pink
    Heavy Bowgun with Wyvernheart is my go-to for Zorah, but I've also rolled with my hammer because 2/3 cores have this nice convenient slope right in front of them

dN0T6ur.png
    You can counter block the fire-burst.

Fawst
    Entaru wrote: »
    You can counter block the fire-burst.

You
    can counter block.

I don't even know what those words mean.

CroakerBubsFawst
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Entaru for being up late and pulling me into the squad last night. I'll probably be around late evenings PST; building up my collection of CBs while I do the lategame expedition investigations, but I'm up for joining anything in general.

Got my poison +3 / rathian CB set nearly maxed out, so almost time for a new goal on that front....

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    fRAWRstdestroyah87
    Yeah for lance when I see it glowing I just prepare a counter. However, I *have* noticed that it seems like there's certain areas that don't get hit.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Also: I keep managing to mount monsters, but then I'm poking them for 1 damage every time, whether I'm hitting the head, back or tail. Finishers are better (if I can get there), but in terms of DPS I'm better off staying on the ground. How do register some real mounting damage?
    I started playing with IG last night a bit. I found that when you mount using the IG and switch places on the monster (e.g., back to tail or head), you do a flurry of 3 or 6 dmg as you move. Totally didn't see that coming.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Iron Weasel
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So I think I'll run a blast kinsect to see how it plays out. More staggers and breaks doesn't seem like a bad thing? IDK.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    flammiebc wrote: »
    Thanks to @Entaru for being up late and pulling me into the squad last night. I'll probably be around late evenings PST; building up my collection of CBs while I do the lategame expedition investigations, but I'm up for joining anything in general.

Got my poison +3 / rathian CB set nearly maxed out, so almost time for a new goal on that front....

hell ya!

J3qcnBP.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Sweet. And I had no idea this was in 4.

It feels like an idea stolen from Dragon's Dogma where launchers into mounting was a very real thing.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

It feels like an idea stolen from Dragon's Dogma where launchers into mounting was a very real thing.
    Dragon's Dogma probably stole that from MH.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile

Dragon's Dogma probably stole that from MH.

Nah. Dragon's Dogma stole a lot from Monster Hunter, but it came out before 4.

It's the game that added mounting and launchers.

Or more likely the development teams talked to each other and it was worked on at the same time.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Or more likely the development teams talked to each other and it was worked on at the same time.
    I like to think Itsuno had to arm wrestle someone for the right to use it first.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Vyolynce
    The teams have a lot of overlap. People from the DD team are on the primary MH team.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I like to think Itsuno had to arm wrestle someone for the right to use it first.
    By arm wrestle, do you mean doing so in the poop deck of the Gathering Hub?

It may not be a literal poop deck, but how often do you get to reference it? *sigh* I'm so juvenile...

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I got a Zorah Gem on the first try. What's it for? Also High Rank GET!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    JustTeeDr. ChaosHahnsoo1fRAWRstFawstfurlion
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    So, I have proceeded nicely into HR, and have had a blast (I'll see myself out) with all the Elder Dragons. It's funny to me how one fight with Teostra might be a cake walk if my timing is on point, and another is just a cart fest and over in a few minutes. Despite chopping many Negrigante tails, I am still missing 1 tail to make my Negrigante Lacerator, though I have many of his gems.

However, the thing I'm wondering. All of my decorations are garbage (with the exception of the initial Attack decoration I think everyone gets?). When do these improve? Do I have to fight tempered monsters (I haven't really found any of these yet, though I've found some tracks of a few). My next story mission is:
    Double Tempered B-52s, oh my

Do I have to do that to unlock the non-garbo decorations, or is it just straight RNG?

My melder also has like no good options for melding decorations either, so am I just kinda screwed until I get gifted something decent?

I did, however, get some decoration that gives the Free Meal skill, and man, that thing is wonderful. It says it has a 25% chance to not consume a consumable when you consume it, but it certainly seems to be a much higher chance of non-consumption. I forgot to re-stock before a Teostra fight, had 5 major pots at the start. I finished the fight with 3 majors left. I used probably 15 potions...

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com