As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I got a Zorah Gem on the first try. What's it for? Also High Rank GET!
    Needed for the leg part of the zorah alpha armor set and all zorah weapons.

Which have blast element. <3

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Weapons, armor, there is even a charm that uses one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Thread is moving so fast I will not have the new op ready by tomorrow so we will have to suffer with the current one for a while longer.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Also: I keep managing to mount monsters, but then I'm poking them for 1 damage every time, whether I'm hitting the head, back or tail. Finishers are better (if I can get there), but in terms of DPS I'm better off staying on the ground. How do register some real mounting damage?
    I started playing with IG last night a bit. I found that when you mount using the IG and switch places on the monster (e.g., back to tail or head), you do a flurry of 3 or 6 dmg as you move. Totally didn't see that coming.

Yeah, it does a lot of damage but uses stamina. I'm not entirely sure how much it does or doesn't contribute to making the monster collapse but it definitely does damage.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    Le_Goat
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The best ones will come with the very endgame monsters. The hardest part about those monsters? Getting investigations for them.

Spoiler PSA
    When you get the the HR49 Kirin quest, consider holding on to it for a few quests. What you wanna do is spend the entire 50 minutes just following it, sniffing its droppings at every opportunity, hoping the desire sensor triggers as many tempered elder dragon investigations as you desire. When you feel you have a good number of seed investigations, including at least one more 50 minute tempered Kirin investigation, you can try killing it.

Otherwise the alternative is loading maps then running to all the possible tempered elder dragon investigation spots (only 1 on most maps, 3 for Elder's Recess), and then rinse and repeating.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    FawstGenji-Gloves
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I've been having some trouble keeping damage up with bugstick. Like, The fluffy bat guy took me near 25 minutes. By comparison, I grab a Lance and a Rathian lasts ten minutes or so. I keep hitting and keeping red up (and most often all three, though in some monsters orange is a pest) but the fact that the stick flails so wildly means a lot of the hits are for tiny scratch damage. I am clearly doing something wrong but I dunno what.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    The best ones will come with the very endgame monsters. The hardest part about those monsters? Getting investigations for them.

Spoiler PSA
    When you get the the HR49 Kirin quest, consider holding on to it for a few quests. What you wanna do is spend the entire 50 minutes just following it, sniffing its droppings at every opportunity, hoping the desire sensor triggers as many tempered elder dragon investigations as you desire. When you feel you have a good number of seed investigations, including at least one more 50 minute tempered Kirin investigation, you can try killing it.

Otherwise the alternative is loading maps then running to all the possible tempered elder dragon investigation spots (only 1 on most maps, 3 for Elder's Recess), and then rinse and repeating.
    In Monster Hunter, you literally smell unicorn farts in the endgame.

I love this game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    PreacherFawst
    Keeping your Kinsect essence up is essential to doing damage, and you need to spend time on the ground as well. If you're just doing aerial moves you aren't doing as much damage.

PolaritieDarkewolfe
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm still learning how to manage the Kinsect essence. Despite aiming for the head or arm, I kept hitting the monsters in the bum. Funny, but not productive. Then those three symbols light up and ... don't know what to do after that. I only played with it for an hour, but it was a lot of fun. I'm trying to master a few different weapons so that I'm more versatile.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Are you using the LT+RT to aim the kinsect?

They don't explain it at all (like many things) - but if you use LT+Triangle you can just shoot the kinsect where you are aiming, once it has the color essence you want os LT+Circle to recall it and collect it. You can keep sending it to attack to try and get the appropriate essence. The Kinsect also does quite a bit of damage if you want to keep spamming it at the monster from a distance. Once you have collected all three your attacks do more damage and you hit a lot more. Whether on the ground or in the air.

It really ramps up your damage output quite a bit.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Fuuuuuuck I think I used it on the legs

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm loving the CB but being the only vet in my regular group, I don't want to be the one who makes most damage to the monsters. I guess I'll go back to gunlance as my main and HH as secondary.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Ooooo I can make a Nergigante weapon

Do I want that to be a hammer, which is my main? Or a greatsword, my alternative? Maybe a switch axe, which I want to get better at? It seems like it wouldn't be a very good heavy bowgun, and these Odogaron dual blades seem cream of the crop for that line

dN0T6ur.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    The GS is arguably the best GS in game

J3qcnBP.png
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Fuuuuuuck I think I used it on the legs

Gems seem a lot easier to come by than previous games. You haven't entirely fucked yourself.

Also pro tip for end game killers, soul scales sell incredibly incredibly well...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Are you using the LT+RT to aim the kinsect?

They don't explain it at all (like many things) - but if you use LT+Triangle you can just shoot the kinsect where you are aiming, once it has the color essence you want os LT+Circle to recall it and collect it. You can keep sending it to attack to try and get the appropriate essence. The Kinsect also does quite a bit of damage if you want to keep spamming it at the monster from a distance. Once you have collected all three your attacks do more damage and you hit a lot more. Whether on the ground or in the air.

It really ramps up your damage output quite a bit.

I know, yes. Direct bug shooting is basically the only way I attack with the bug - I never use L2+R2, it's unwieldy as hell. And I do try for all three whenever possible, though sometimes I have to settle for Red and White because on a lot of monsters orange is a pest to get.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited February 2018
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    The GS is arguably the best GS in game

Hmmmm, that's definitely a thought. Would make it easier to cut off the Elder Dragon tails. Then I could switch over to my hammer to beat them silly once they're weakened

I have two Nergigante gems, so I could theoretically take two all the way once I beat whoever the secret ultra final boss is

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited February 2018
    210 true raw, dragon ele, elderseal, neutral affinity, huge blue sharpness

yeah its real good

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    Nergy great sword fully evolved is great because on top of the charge anim, it also makes a sound at max charge because it like pops out spines? I love that sound, because it gives me a great indication when I can't always see my character like in the middle of a nergy.

Plus its a huge fucking cleaver of justice.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    fRAWRst
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Well, I went and farmed HR Great Girros for a bit until I could craft the Mosswine Mask and I am now, officially, a Mushroomancer.

Hahnsoo1fRAWRstBubsTNTrooperBrodyElderlycrawfishCorporal CarlArchHermanoJustTeeGenji-Gloves
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Huh, I guess this one got fextralife's attention. The armor-page looks like they're trying to organise a halfway decent quick overview. Neat.

I do have to chuckle how I've seen a couple destiny streamers pick this up. Including lore master byf.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Keeping your Kinsect essence up is essential to doing damage, and you need to spend time on the ground as well. If you're just doing aerial moves you aren't doing as much damage.

The caveat is - this assumes you can do meaningful damage on the ground. If you're fighting a flying wyvern, there's going to be phases where you can't connect well. Of course, it's not easy to line up the aerial chaining, but... you'll probably be able to hurt it more that way if you do, considering wings are basically always a moderately weak area. Safer than trying to go for the legs hanging low, too. Though for ones with a convenient tail, maybe not, unless it targets you and you can set up aerial evade into spins.

But yes, if the monster is grounded you're probably better off setting up ground combo on the face or tail (unless it's charging, in which case airborne can sometimes get safe hits in depending on what it is).

The other essential to damage is bug uptime, as it does significant damage between its own attacks and dust explosions (I mean, not as much as your own, but it's a decent DPS boost. Dust blasts are much easier to set off in multi too since anyone's attacks can detonate them).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do have to chuckle how I've seen a couple destiny streamers pick this up. Including lore master byf.
    Datto's put up a couple of videos, and said he'd like to do more.

Honestly, the idea of a dedicated channel is weird to me, anyway. There's loads of games; don't just talk about one.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Polaritie

Honestly, the idea of a dedicated channel is weird to me, anyway. There's loads of games; don't just talk about one.

No I get that as well, its just strange for me because despite playing both games myself I didn't think it was a common thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah, but when a specific game is what is bringing the $$$ in it takes a lot of guts or boredom to make the jump.

Iron Weasel
    Well MH: W is the suddenly popular game series of the moment. It remains to be seen if johnny come latelys will stick around.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am sure the series just picked up some fans. Not sure what happens now though.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Negigante down. First few attempts I kept getting one shotted by the dive bomb even though I'd roll 3 or so times out of the way. When I murdered him, it was clean and no carts.

fRAWRstHahnsoo1furlionJustTee
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm going to take out all the other stuff you find in the late game area before I take on Nergigante myself. I just killed the Dodogama, does he make anything besides the armor and the one Heavy Bowgun? I think I'll grab that since it's the first Heavy Bowgun I like but it just seems a bit odd.

Also finally got enough Kirin horns to make the badass Raijin lance.
    Wyvern_Barrel_Blast.jpg

The first two Mega Barrel Bombs I Wyvernblasted were to make sure the horn broke

The second two were for stunlocking me to death with lightning

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    fRAWRstBrodyfurlionForever ZefiroGenji-Gloves
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I think the moltencore conversation stopped at counter block but any of the shield weapons will regular block the explosions just fine. Well, GL and CB at least. I'm assuming that the regular lance blocks the same stuff that GL does. Don't know about the GS.

I find the GL works really well because it's easy to fit in any of the combos and still have time to get your shield up.

stream going up!

J3qcnBP.png
    So I got the 8-star Kirin Quest.

Should I take the time to max out my Anjanath Greatsword because it's weak to Fire, or should I take the Tier 1 Nergigante Greatsword for the Elderseal and tons of blue sharpness

Decisions

dN0T6ur.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Well, I went and farmed HR Great Girros for a bit until I could craft the Mosswine Mask and I am now, officially, a Mushroomancer.

The nose is physics enabled.

PLADarkMecha
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So I got the 8-star Kirin Quest.

Should I take the time to max out my Anjanath Greatsword because it's weak to Fire, or should I take the Tier 1 Nergigante Greatsword for the Elderseal and tons of blue sharpness

Decisions

Nergigante. Raw is king on GS.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    TNTrooper
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Negigante down. First few attempts I kept getting one shotted by the dive bomb even though I'd roll 3 or so times out of the way. When I murdered him, it was clean and no carts.

*whispers in ear*

superman diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I have a Zorah Magdaros procedure that I follow, and I wonder if there's a way to improve the damage/kill times on this?
    1) Grab the items from the box at camp and then hitch a ride on a pterodactyl to the boss.
    2) Run straight forward and grab some stones, then head to the Magma Core right in front of me.
    3) Kill the Magma Core*. Grab the shiny.
    4) Turn right 90 degrees and run toward his butt. Mine the Mining point at the peak.
    5) Jump down, then turn around. Magma Core below in a cave (Kill and Shiny) and a Mining point.
    6) Run out of the cave and straight toward the very back for another Mining point.
    7) Turn around and run along the left side. There's a mini-Magma Core on the left side you can destroy (no shiny) and a Stalactite you can explode with a slinger stone at this point (big stalactite on the wall with bombs strapped to it and ribbons).
    8) Climb up the back. Long climb. There are some Mining points along the way.
    9) At the very peak, hit up any Mining points, and look up. There are two Stalactites with ribbons (and bombs). Hit both with stones for more damage.
    10) Jump into the hole. 3rd Magma Core. If you can destroy it, grab the shinies. If you have time, Mining point.
    11) At some point, Nergigante shows up. Ignore him.
    12) Zorah gets up on his hind legs. Landscape shifts. Mining point that is now accessible.
    13) Head to the front for another mining point.
    14) Remainder of the combat is destroying any leftover Magma Cores.

Final Confrontation
    15) Load up the cannon with 5 balls (balls behind you to the left) and fire. Repeat.
    16) Head right to the close cannon and Repeat. 5 balls, fire, 5 balls fire.
    17) Run ALL the way to the left. Activate the manned cannon on your way to the jump point.**
    18) Jump down, use the Dragonator.
    19) Go to the cannons on the boat. There is a prompt on the side of the cannon that lets you push the cannon to aim it. Aim all three cannons at Zorah (usually pushing them 1-3 times to the right).
    20) Keep loading 5 balls and firing the cannons. You have two helpers loading cannon balls, so your DPS is a LOT higher on the boat.***
    21) You should repel him at around the 13-15 minute mark. At around 15 minutes, he charges up a super cannon. If this happens, run to the Ballista near the Dragonator and grab the One-Shot Binder and use that on him. That will prevent him from using the super cannon. But at this point, I get 13 minute repels, and this never happens to me.

* Note: When the fire cracks appear, there will be one side that doesn't have a fire crack. That's the side that doesn't explode.
    ** Why don't those idiots fire their own cannons?
    *** Heavy Artillery 2 armor skills shaves about 1 minute off the final confrontation, so I typically bring that.

Am I missing something? I haven't read any guides, so this is what I've stumbled upon on my own. I don't know if there are Dragon bombs or something that I've missed.

The only thing different from my experience is...
    ...when you drop down to the ship and use the cannons there, take advantage of FB soldiers loading them. And by that, I mean if the timing is right, load the middle cannon. You can get two or three into each manned cannon, but let the soldier max it out if he's able/close. Then you can bring the one you have to the middle cannon to get more deeps on Zorah. I only use that middle cannon when it's full, and it's really only good for like one, MAYBE two shots at full ammo. But it's not nothing.

edited February 2018
    It'd be cool if element conferred just a wee little tiny "AH FUCK I'M ON FIRE/FROSTBITTEN/SPASMING FROM ELECTRICITY" animation. Not anything long like a paralysis, just a tiny thing

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Got my intro Nergigante Greatsword, and hoo boy this thing is nice

Seems like Nergy GS is pretty easily the best if you don't have Non-Elemental Boost

Preacher
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Managed to break a part of Zorah Magdaros with repeated hammer strikes when I landed on his arm (I think it was an arm? Hard to tell what the hell is what on him) somehow from jumping from a spot his back.

Haven't managed to do it again/find a way to drop off to a spot where he can be hit like that since. I figured it was a glitch or bug but it didn't feel like it one at the time.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile