As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I feel like I'm close to peaking in the game. Tempered Elder Dragons are basically on farm mode now even though I still haven't gotten the elusive super decorations yet.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, remember the adopt-a-hunter program? Since my actual newbie friends seem to mostly be playing by themselves and getting distracted by other games, over the weekend on a whim I decided to adopt one of the newbie streamers that I was watching while farming things. Other people in the channel have been helping too, but it's been cool to see them go from only raising their LS's spirit meter by accident and timing out hunting tobi-kadachi before asking for help to being able to actually solo monsters and even helping lower-HR channel watchers hunt anjanath in just a few days.

But you also *really* see how a lot of the stuff in the game are still really not very clear to new players.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    PreacherJustTeedestroyah87Genji-Gloves
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    If I break off a piece of a Monster, do I have to manually carve it when I get a moment, or does it show up when the hunt is finished / I capture it / I carve the main corpse at the end?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Spaffy wrote: »
    If I break off a piece of a Monster, do I have to manually carve it when I get a moment, or does it show up when the hunt is finished / I capture it / I carve the main corpse at the end?

Tails must be carved, pieces that are broken may leave a shiny bit in the ground that stays for maybe a minute, breaking parts also causes more rewards to show up at the end rather you pick it up or not.

Edit : Just saw the final credits roll, that was a damn good final boss fight. Very epic feeling and definitely not too overtuned or easy. Plus he looks cool as all hell.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    So for the end game, Xeno vs Nerg LS you give up almost exactly 100 attack but gain 15% affinity and white sharpness. I assume that would keep it from bouncing against every enemy in the game so it may be worth it to have both, but in terms of damage output there is no way that is enough to compensate for that much attack loss right? My gut says no given how little affinity is worth, but I know in previous games sharpness made a pretty big damage difference.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Really wish randos would stop capping Bazel

You can't get gems from the rewards, only from carves and breaks

Cap rewards use the same loot table as carving.

https://imgur.com/Km2lJn4

That isn't exactly what is happening here. If you get enough research on Bagel Guy, it will show gem drops under "head broken" and "back broken", if you break these two things, you get two chances at a gem drop. This drop will show up under bonus rewards (as pictured). You also get a gem chance when you carve its severed tail. You get four more chances at a gem when you carve its body. If you capture, these four chances are instead pulled from the "rewards" part of the monster field guide drop list, which has no chance at a gem.

Ratsult2 on
    LD50milski
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I have to ask you guys a stupid question, how do you find the Lump of Meat, and/or Eggs for these quests?

akirasig.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I got into high rank last night and y'all be crazy. It was obvious as hell that it would start then!

fRAWRst
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    What’s the point of wind resistance? Is it an endgame thing?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Well, how far are you in the game, generally speaking?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

A number of flying monsters can cause you to get staggered back with wind from them launching into the air, and some other things (Paolumu is a bastard about this). Wind resistance negates that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Lord_Asmodeus
    Polaritie wrote: »

A number of flying monsters can cause you to get staggered back with wind from them launching into the air, and some other things (Paolumu is a bastard about this). Wind resistance negates that.

Wind pressure is also the stagger animation your character makes when some of the bigger monsters are landing or if they buzz over you. It basically gives you more maneuverability and (usually) an extra few opportunities to hit a monster when you would otherwise lose control of your character. There is also an elder dragon that is all wind all the time and it is very useful against it.

Lord_AsmodeusPolaritie
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    Complete newbie here.

I started the game with the Insect Glaive and really wasn't feeling Monster Hunter, but for the last couple of hunts I swapped over to the long sword and started to feel the rhythm of fighting with it. Now i'm up to the Anjanath hunt and it feels like it's the first taste of what the actual game is like, it feels awesome having to learn the behaviour and quirks of a monster that can kill you in a swipe or two, needing to take advantage of every little edge you can give yourself and knowing when to just turn tail and run.

Approach the monsters like bosses from any other game makes killing them feel like a chore, embracing the fact that it's a war of attrition against something far more powerful than my character really helped me appreciate Monster Hunter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I’m looking for Nergigante.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Complete newbie here.

I started the game with the Insect Glaive and really wasn't feeling Monster Hunter, but for the last couple of hunts I swapped over to the long sword and started to feel the rhythm of fighting with it. Now i'm up to the Anjanath hunt and it feels like it's the first taste of what the actual game is like, it feels awesome having to learn the behaviour and quirks of a monster that can kill you in a swipe or two, needing to take advantage of every little edge you can give yourself and knowing when to just turn tail and run.

Approach the monsters like bosses from any other game makes killing them feel like a chore, embracing the fact that it's a war of attrition against something far more powerful than my character really helped me appreciate Monster Hunter

As a fellow newbie here, I also started the game with the glaive and wasn't really feeling it, then switched over to hammer for the next 20-odd hours. I've recently come back to the glaive and I'm absolutely in love with it.

So once you get used to the game and the controls and feel and everything, I'd definitely suggest giving it another shot later on. It is a lot of fun, especially on winged monsters.

I’m looking for Nergigante.

Then building a wind pressure set is not a terrible idea. It is not mandatory for one of the next bosses after him but it helps immensely. I would say if you can scrounge one up the go ahead but don't do any serious farming for it. I took that boss down solo my first try without one. If you look at the armor and weapons you get from him and decide to farm him then having a set is very helpful.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Man, this hunt for ??? Rathian tracks is not awesome.

Hahnsoo1Evil Monkey
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

I'm having a lot of fun with it. I love just scootin' around the areas looking for stuff.

WraithvergeEvil Multifarious
    I should rephrase that: no rhyme or reason to where/how they appear kind of bites. I found like 7 in one spot and then Basil Wrathbone showed up to say hi to the floating puffbat. After that I lost track, then found one random one nowhere near that and nothing else. I actually did stop to admire the Coral Highlands for a bit as I was roaming. Made me realize how many games I've played where I've seen the environment but never really took any time to appreciate it beyond "wow, looks good." They put a ton of work into these areas.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    it is MUCH quicker if you do level appropriate optional quests or investigations and pick up the odd ??? Rathian track during them.
    when you complete the optional/investigation you should get a good chunk of progress on the ??? quest.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    FawstMagic Pinkvagrant_windsLord_AsmodeusJustTeeKnight_admanb
    I should rephrase that: no rhyme or reason to where/how they appear kind of bites. I found like 7 in one spot and then Basil Wrathbone showed up to say hi to the floating puffbat. After that I lost track, then found one random one nowhere near that and nothing else. I actually did stop to admire the Coral Highlands for a bit as I was roaming. Made me realize how many games I've played where I've seen the environment but never really took any time to appreciate it beyond "wow, looks good." They put a ton of work into these areas.

There seems to be a limited number you can find per quest /expedition. Try doing an expedition, then one of the kill X number of small animal quests. Great way to make zenny and get your scout on.

Fawst
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Really wish randos would stop capping Bazel

You can't get gems from the rewards, only from carves and breaks

Even without that nice screenshot in the post above this one, you can still get it from investigation bonuses though, can't you?

Yeah from gold boxes.

I got a Legiana gem from a silver box!

I was very pleased.

dN0T6ur.png
    Fawstvagrant_windsPreacherPolaritieBrodyGenji-Gloves
    I have to ask you guys a stupid question, how do you find the Lump of Meat, and/or Eggs for these quests?

I thought the eggs automatically showed up on the map, because I don't remember ever picking one up before having a quest to do so.

Lump of Meat location in the Rotten Vale:
    Area 13 (Odogaron nest). It's a bird corpse next to some brightmoss on a wall. Look all around that area, the Scout flies should spot it, but I ran by it like twice while searching.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

I thought the eggs automatically showed up on the map, because I don't remember ever picking one up before having a quest to do so.

Lump of Meat location in the Rotten Vale:
    Area 13 (Odogaron nest). It's a bird corpse next to some brightmoss on a wall. Look all around that area, the Scout flies should spot it, but I ran by it like twice while searching.

Further detail
    when I did this quest I had to break through a vine wall to get to the meat chunks. There's three chambers. in the lair. the lumps that I found were on a step up on the right side of the right chamber

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    FawstQanamil
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    it is MUCH quicker if you do level appropriate optional quests or investigations and pick up the odd ??? Rathian track during them.
    when you complete the optional/investigation you should get a good chunk of progress on the ??? quest.

I believe when I did that part, I was farming Jyuratodus parts for a water bow for some reason so I'd run from the camp to his spawn and grab some tracks along the way. I unlocked the actual mission long before I bothered to do it.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    sorry about last night SirToons (not sure of his PA name?)

im super bad at CB and carted twice to beezle, ruining our quest =[

J3qcnBP.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Having watched insect glaive players, and played it though the entire game, the IG is a bit of a trap for newbs. Since everyone can mount now, you don't have to take that on as your job. As a result, you don't need to be doing aerial attacks for everything. Your damage is much lower if you're always doing fly-bys, when with a full block of attacks each time, compared to getting in good hits from the ground. You also burn sharpness way faster, which ultimately lowers your DPS as well. Aerial attacks are a great tool kit for when you need them, but you need to be working in a ton of ground time.

Also, if you haven't figured out how to load up on all three buffs before dropping pheremone markers, then recalling your kinsect just before it runs out of stamina (which refunds 25% stamina vs just letting it exhaust or sheathing) then you should work on that. Constant uptime on your kinsect to drop the swarms is a pretty big deal, especially in multi where everyone else can pop your swarms.

What is this I don't even.
    Others can pop my swarms? But they are a sacred thing between me and my kinsect. :(

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Pop swarms? Was I meant to be hitting those swarms myself?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Other players have always been able to mount monsters, this game just makes it a lot easier.

Also unlocked my blast and ice dualies. Or as I call them "fuck you diablos, go die in your hole alone."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Pop swarms? Was I meant to be hitting those swarms myself?

Yes. They blow up for damage and status. Or healing, for the green ones.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I really need to just go and kill Anjanath to advance the story and my Hunter Rank - but this game keeps giving me other things to do.

Last night I popped into the Wastes to knock out a couple of collect/delivery quests and carried out my first capture on Kula-Yu-Ku. @Evil Monkey invited me to help him kill a Pukei-Pukei in the arena, so of course I went along. At one point we severed his tail and both jumped in to carve it, assuming our palicoes would keep the monster busy - but instead we both got puked on. Oops!

Then I decided to Expedition for a while, since I want more Jyuratodus parts for a water lance (and I didn't have any investigations for him yet). Shit got real.
    I find ol' fish-face chilling in his pool, and now I know that I can knock the mud off him, so I open with a volley of watermoss and - poof! - goodbye muck. I get to smacking him around and he soon scarpers for the other watery spot where the sleep herbs spawn. By the time I catch up, Jyura's scrapping with a Barroth, coiling around it and shit, and I'm stunned by how cool it is. Then just as Barroth wriggles free and runs away, Rathian swoops down and starts on Jyura, too. A couple of those docile dinos with the spike-tails are caught in the middle, so there's roaring and fire and scorched hides everywhere.

There's a crawlspace along one of the rock faces in that area, and a herbivore dies right in front it. Rathian comes barreling in at me, so I dive through the hole, put on my ghillie mantle and crawl back, peeking out from under the dead herbivore like it's a tauntaun. Rathian and Jyuratodus battle a bit more, then Jyura swims off. Rathian hangs around for a moment longer before flying away.

I catch up with Jyura back at his pool and by this time a couple of randos have responded to the SOS I sent up for @Haximus (who couldn't find it on the quest board). One of them seems to have a blast hammer and another is using a HBG, and soon there are monster materials flying off left and right. We kill Jyuratodus, and though no one is on-mic, we all seem to agree to stick together and hunt some more.

We catch up with the Barroth from earlier, but it dives into its mudhole and "leaves" before we can kill it, so we take out our frustrations on a hapless Kula who happens to be wandering by. We catch a new Barroth out by the quicksand pit, quickly sever its tail and kill it shortly thereafter. Then we corner the Rathian in a little grove area, get its tail and chase it out in the open, where it runs right into a Diablos. It's not long before the Rathian nopes out, and we follow suit. I manage to trap and tranq the limping Rathian, getting us up to 4 successful hunts.

Feeling cocky we head out after Diablos, who proceeds to drink our milkshakes. Good thing there's no faint limit on Expeditions, because that bastard is KO'ing us left and right - at one point, he steamrolled both me and the HBG user in a single charge!

I managed to mount him and start hacking at his tail, but then he throws me - and somehow I use my slinger to grapple right back onto him! This happens a couple more times before I deliver the finisher, but the son of a bitch won't die or drop his tail. We finally chase him into the sand cave and battle him there for a bit, getting repeatedly gored or concussed by his tail, until he finally digs through the sand and vanishes for good.
    I had to log off at that point, but I am very excited to get back on and see what I can make with the huge pile of steaming monster parts I brought back.

... and then I'll go kill Anjanath. I guess.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    fRAWRstPolaritieFawstPreacherJustTeeLord_AsmodeusPLABasil
    Heh, I have gone from "go away, Basil!" to

crc0513cg5wj.jpg

I just did an HR Barroth hunt where I landed in the woods on load right next to Rathian. I start fighting him, he flies over to the Diablos quicksand pit. Barroth comes rumbling through. "Great, he'll be easy to find once I kill Ra--OH HAI BASIL!"

Those three did some work on each other. Anyways, downed Rathian, followed Barroth with Basil on my tail, they fight again. Basil leaves, follow Barroth into the muck, here comes Jyura. They duke it out for a few and then "OH HAI BASIL!" I wanted to try and get some hits on him to maybe break parts or have the Plunderblade do its thing, but no dice. Other than him turning to attack me, I'm not too upset to see him any longer.

fRAWRstBasil
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah fire and ice ripped up my tempered tadachi quest this morning. It was a capture so I had to literally hold back from killing it several times.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Huh, Tsujimoto might consider some character-adjusting beyond hair if it seems popular. https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1103435.html

tastydonutsKing Riptordestroyah87
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Doing challenges and arenas now.

"Barroth is my bitch," I say. "I'll use the greatsword option."

That was a mistake.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Heh, I have gone from "go away, Basil!" to

crc0513cg5wj.jpg

I just did an HR Barroth hunt where I landed in the woods on load right next to Rathian. I start fighting him, he flies over to the Diablos quicksand pit. Barroth comes rumbling through. "Great, he'll be easy to find once I kill Ra--OH HAI BASIL!"

Those three did some work on each other. Anyways, downed Rathian, followed Barroth with Basil on my tail, they fight again. Basil leaves, follow Barroth into the muck, here comes Jyura. They duke it out for a few and then "OH HAI BASIL!" I wanted to try and get some hits on him to maybe break parts or have the Plunderblade do its thing, but no dice. Other than him turning to attack me, I'm not too upset to see him any longer.

For some reason my dumb sleep deprived brain thought you meant @Basil the forum user and that whole sentence was severely unintentionally funny to me.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    FawstTamerBillDracilPLABasil
    PLA wrote: »
    Huh, Tsujimoto might consider some character-adjusting beyond hair if it seems popular. https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1103435.html

If I could save my appearance in loadouts and freely change the genders and such that would
    be neat. I think that was possible in Saints Row.

Then I wouldnt need to roll a second character...

FawstPLAdestroyah87
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So early on SoS seems like kind of a crapshoot. I've joined at least two Anjanath SoS quests hoping to farm for parts where the host just could not stop carting. Time just goes down the drain and it's a little frustrating. Hard to save people from themselves.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    I really need to just go and kill Anjanath to advance the story and my Hunter Rank - but this game keeps giving me other things to do.

Last night I popped into the Wastes to knock out a couple of collect/delivery quests and carried out my first capture on Kula-Yu-Ku. @Evil Monkey invited me to help him kill a Pukei-Pukei in the arena, so of course I went along. At one point we severed his tail and both jumped in to carve it, assuming our palicoes would keep the monster busy - but instead we both got puked on. Oops!

Then I decided to Expedition for a while, since I want more Jyuratodus parts for a water lance (and I didn't have any investigations for him yet). Shit got real.
    I find ol' fish-face chilling in his pool, and now I know that I can knock the mud off him, so I open with a volley of watermoss and - poof! - goodbye muck. I get to smacking him around and he soon scarpers for the other watery spot where the sleep herbs spawn. By the time I catch up, Jyura's scrapping with a Barroth, coiling around it and shit, and I'm stunned by how cool it is. Then just as Barroth wriggles free and runs away, Rathian swoops down and starts on Jyura, too. A couple of those docile dinos with the spike-tails are caught in the middle, so there's roaring and fire and scorched hides everywhere.

There's a crawlspace along one of the rock faces in that area, and a herbivore dies right in front it. Rathian comes barreling in at me, so I dive through the hole, put on my ghillie mantle and crawl back, peeking out from under the dead herbivore like it's a tauntaun. Rathian and Jyuratodus battle a bit more, then Jyura swims off. Rathian hangs around for a moment longer before flying away.

I catch up with Jyura back at his pool and by this time a couple of randos have responded to the SOS I sent up for @Haximus (who couldn't find it on the quest board). One of them seems to have a blast hammer and another is using a HBG, and soon there are monster materials flying off left and right. We kill Jyuratodus, and though no one is on-mic, we all seem to agree to stick together and hunt some more.

We catch up with the Barroth from earlier, but it dives into its mudhole and "leaves" before we can kill it, so we take out our frustrations on a hapless Kula who happens to be wandering by. We catch a new Barroth out by the quicksand pit, quickly sever its tail and kill it shortly thereafter. Then we corner the Rathian in a little grove area, get its tail and chase it out in the open, where it runs right into a Diablos. It's not long before the Rathian nopes out, and we follow suit. I manage to trap and tranq the limping Rathian, getting us up to 4 successful hunts.

Feeling cocky we head out after Diablos, who proceeds to drink our milkshakes. Good thing there's no faint limit on Expeditions, because that bastard is KO'ing us left and right - at one point, he steamrolled both me and the HBG user in a single charge!

I managed to mount him and start hacking at his tail, but then he throws me - and somehow I use my slinger to grapple right back onto him! This happens a couple more times before I deliver the finisher, but the son of a bitch won't die or drop his tail. We finally chase him into the sand cave and battle him there for a bit, getting repeatedly gored or concussed by his tail, until he finally digs through the sand and vanishes for good.
    I had to log off at that point, but I am very excited to get back on and see what I can make with the huge pile of steaming monster parts I brought back.

... and then I'll go kill Anjanath. I guess.

The tauntaun part had me laugh till I cried. I love this game.

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
    Iron WeaselBasil